2013 4cc Free Dance | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2013 4cc Free Dance

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
they sealed their fate with Zueva , they would have been back had they went to Shipilband last summer now its too late at least until past 2014

Would Shipilband even want them at this point?.... I dont think so. Shipilband seems to pick skaters who's stock is on the rise.

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
The Shibs beat C/B in the free dance here, and would have at nationals as well, had it not been for the lift deduction. But eh, maybe the Shibs reign of offensive terror over ice dance will come to an end one and for all next season.

Yay for D/W.

As for Tessa and Scott. I think the biggest issue with that program, besides it being Carmen, is that at times it seems as though they aren't sure about the program. It's like they want to perform the heck out of it but are cautious because they just aren't sure about it. Caremn isn't the type of music that you can hold back with, you have to really have to go for it. Right from the start of the season it seems as though they've just been going through the motions and have no connection to that music what so ever. Regardless of how I feel about them and how I've felt about their past programs, they could always sell the program and I always felt they believed in their programs, I don't feel that way with Carmen.

Last edited by a moderator:

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Thanks for the confirmation that it was not a breathing problem after all.

Leg cramping (for Alex) also was the reason that the Shibutanis stopped and restarted their program at a previous competition.

I posted the official ISU language regarding restarting earlier in the thread (post #104 on p. 7).

And @LynnRutherford tweeted (emphasis added):
Scoured ISU rules after Virtue&Moir stopped FD midway 2day&restarted, no deduction. Lots of words, seems 2 be at referee discretion #4CC2013
6:15 AM - 10 Feb 13

So the rules were followed (whether the haters like it or not). :yes:

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
But eh, maybe Marina will have the Shibs put to sleep after this season and their reign of offensive terror over ice dance will come to an end one and for all.

If Zueva is giving them these crappy programs during a non-olympic year. Just imagine next year, when she really will not have the time of day for them. Would not surprise me in the least if next year the Shibs are skating to the McDonalds commercial for their short dance. "da da da da da im loving it!"

hitchem

Rinkside
So the rules were followed (whether the haters like it or not). :yes:

I think the issue is with the rules. Tessa and Scott seem to have lost about one point in PCS for taking a substantial break. Whether the break was merited or not, in a sport that's very much about performance and presentation, stopping should, IMO, incur a substantial penalty. But V/M scored a season's best.

There's also the issue of allowing a team to restart and then assessing technical merit as though there was no pause. Obviously, taking a short break and catching your breath is going to help in the remainder of your program. I just don't see a fair way to judge this, but I think a penalty has to account for this fact. It would be very bad for figure skating for a team to win a competition over similar caliber after stopping during the performance.

icebeauty

On the Ice
As for Tessa and Scott. I think the biggest issue with that program, besides it being Carmen, is that at times it seems as though they aren't sure about the program. It's like they want to perform the heck out of it but are cautious because they just aren't sure about it. Caremn isn't the type of music that you can hold back with, you have to really have to go for it. Right from the start of the season it seems as though they've just been going through the motions and have no connection to that music what so ever. Regardless of how I feel about them and how I've felt about their past programs, they could always sell the program and I always felt they believed in their programs, I don't feel that way with Carmen.

I AGREE!!! your assessment is spot-on...they just haven't developed the program to it's potential, and it's showing in their performance. I'm glad I'm not the only person who has noticed this. Carmen is a piece of music that has a lot of dramatic flair w/ lots of rise and fall making it a good piece of music to use for skating, but few can really use it to it's potential and skate to it. when I found out V/M and were going to use it, i was super excited b/c i believe(d) that they could skate a program that would make skaters never want to touch Carmen again...instead the opposite has happened. By holding back/not feeling comfortable with this program, V/M have managed to prove that few can skate to Carmen and skaters should avoid it b/c even they couldn't conquer it...

I did, too. Although I do find the opening choreo for Tessa to be overwrought or wrong for her (I kinda laugh at the posturing, she doesnt sell it convincingly), otherwise I like this dance more and more. Any chance they will keep it for next year? The workhorse music appeals to a greater audience, I have 2 admit, tho we skatefans get tired of the hackneyed pieces. And it might help them to keep the FD and just tweak it, given apparent physical issues.

Over the years, tho, I continue to be amazed and just simply delighted watching Meryl and Charlie. Love this dance almost as much as last year's.

i read this comment and went back to watch an uninterrupted version of this FD and i think you pinpointed the issue i have with this program...i have a hard time taking it seriously after that beginning. I like that it sets the mood/tone for the rest of the program, but it just doesn't work on Tessa. IMO, it's something you can give Madison Hubbell, and she will sell it and smolder her way through this program the way it was probably intended to be skated at least from a choreography/performance/interpretation standpoint. At this point in the season, it's too late to overhaul something that big, but I really wish the team addressed this earlier b/c I really want to LOVE this program, but it's just not happening

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Ryan Pyette ‏@RyanatLFPress
Cramp in the leg isn't usually much to worry about, but Tessa Virtue has proven a warrior who doesn't stop for minor pain.
10:18 AM - 10 Feb 13​

:agree:

Congratulations to Davis/White.
Wishing the best for Virtue/Moir (and the Shibutanis!) next time.

Mao88

Record Breaker
FREE DANCE - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Meryl DAVIS & Charlie WHITE (USA) - 187.36 Free Dance, 2nd Copy, Interview
2. Tessa VIRTUE & Scott MOIR (CAN) - 184.32 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
3. Madison CHOCK & Evan BATES (USA) - 160.42 Free Dance
4. Maia SHIBUTANI & Alex SHIBUTANI (USA) - 159.97 Free Dance
5. Piper GILLES & Paul POIRIER (CAN) - 157.83 Free Dance
6. Nicole ORFORD & Thomas WILLIAMS (CAN) - 139.10 Free Dance
7. Cathy REED & Chris REED (JPN) - 131.04 Free Dance
8. Danielle OBRIEN & Gregory MERRIMAN (AUS) - 123.88 Free Dance
9. Xiaoyang YU & Chen WANG (CHN) - 108.82
10. Anna NAGORNYUK & Viktor KOVALENKO (UZB) - 107.02 Free Dance
11. Emi HIRAI & Marien DE LA ASUNCION (JPN) - 105.56 Free Dance
12. Bryna OI & Taiyo MIZUTANI (JPN) - 89.80 Free Dance
13. Pilar MAEKAWA & Leonardo MAEKAWA (MEX) - 85.02

Complete Final Warm-Up Group

Medal Ceremony: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
i read this comment and went back to watch an uninterrupted version of this FD and i think you pinpointed the issue i have with this program...i have a hard time taking it seriously after that beginning. I like that it sets the mood/tone for the rest of the program, but it just doesn't work on Tessa. ...

Thank you for your response -- it took me a moment to realize what it was I don't like about the opening, but I do find I can get past it once the dance starts moving. You are certainly right that the opening moments can/should set the tone for what is to come! and in this case they create a little bump that has to be gotten over, to my eyes. But it is to Tessa's and Scott's credit that they've taken such an old warhorse and still come up with an interesting program, overall.

lavender

Record Breaker
A small part of me wonders if D/W aren't Marina's favorites... way deep down in her heart.

I think D/W have the superior concept for the SD... and I think "Carmen" has put V/M at disadvantage in the FD, because it has become so trite, no matter what innovation they've brought to it.

For the Olympic season, if Marina selects something like Egyptian music and has Scott and Tessa doing "Steve Martin/King Tut" arm gestures... then we'll know for sure.

I was thinking V/M were her faves seasons ago but now I think I was being ridiculous because I was probably basing it on who was winning.

I just think D/W continue to improve even after being together for so many season. Honestly I think they should have won Worlds last year but they are just so close in talent. Just never know.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
FWIW:
Tennis has a rule allowing for medical time-outs, doesn't it?
I think the legal break is several minutes long (don't know exactly), during which a trainer is permitted to attend to cramping (or whatever ails the player).
Just sayin'.
And I'm pretty sure that tennis players at the very top of the sport have been known to take such time-outs when necessary.

p.s. Thanks as always to Mao88 for finding and organizing all the video links.

Last edited:

rosacotton

Final Flight
Thank you to all for the many videos!

I continue to be impressed by how D/W continue to polish and improve their FD. I wasn't sold to it at the beginning of the season, but they have since made me a fan of it. They performed the heck out it, especially Charlie.

Hope Tessa makes a full recovery.

Wishing the Shibs the best at worlds!!

emma

Record Breaker
Finally watched the top two free dances - I just cannot get over how good both of these teams are. I'm really speechless. I would never want to be a judge who had to differentiate between them. The interruption was really too bad, and I do hope Tessa is just fine - but it was too bad as such a thing always is, but also becasue I just thought they were nailing this. Good for them for finishing as strong as they started and wow, wow, and wow to Meryl and Charlie - they really do give 100+%.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I think we're so lucky to see V & M. Though they lost understandably so. You can just see by their lines, posture and emoting they are the best that we will see for some time. How they get beaten in artistry is beyond me. But as they say taste is taste, not going to argue this further. They need to take a gamble, IMHO, Tessa will always need to manage her legs, so keep the technique creditable and maximize on GOE points. If Morozov can engineer fairly comfortable lifts for I&K I am sure these guys can do so and much more impressively. They must see that there is no point arguing with physics, M&C have the perfect size difference and apparently strength to maximize on technique, they just need to be smarter. They (personal opinion here) are the better dancers so play to this strength instead.

I really hope they don't call it quits before Sochi, they'll be missed:cry:

KKonas

Medalist
FWIW:
Tennis has a rule allowing for medical time-outs, doesn't it?
I think the legal break is several minutes long (don't know exactly), during which a trainer is permitted to attend to cramping (or whatever ails the player).
Just sayin'.​
And I'm pretty sure that tennis players at the very top of the sport have been known to take such time-outs when necessary.

This is not relevant at all. Tennis games take a lot more time with a lot more stops in general and it takes more than one game to win a tournament. The ISU rule on this issue is not really clear and needs to be addressed again before Sochi.

Last edited by a moderator:

uncchristine99

Rinkside
Wow, what a shock. Nothing looked visibly wrong but since they flat out stopped, I didn't expect them to actually continue. I figure if it was that serious, they would just withdraw like last time so it does make things suspicious that they were able to continue (and without a hitch) after just a few minutes of "resting."

The conspiracy theories are unnecessary though--no skater wants to interrupt their program like that. To do so can only mean that something very serious happened.

Tough break for VM but I feel bad for DW too. They're trying to show that they can beat VM when they're clean, healthy and do a 4 min program without interruption. It kinda sucks that their wins seem to come only with asterisks on VM making a major mistake or having an injury or some other hiccup like here.

We need to see clean, healthy athletes do their best when it counts! And then let the judges botch it up as usual. But that's ice dancing, isn't it? Hehe

Congrats to DW... that was the best outing of Notre Dame so far. Keep on climbing!!

leafygreens

Final Flight
Thank you for posting the rule. It seems clear that this rule is in effect to protect the skaters, and that's a very good thing. However, the holes are large enough to drive a truck through.

"Injury" seems pretty clear. Suppose a skater cuts the hand while doing a catch-foot move and is bleeding visibly. It seems reasonable under the rule that a stoppage would be allowed without penalty. "Equipment" would seem to be "skates" as I can think of no other equipment a skater would need... so why don't they say that? Isn't there another rule addressing wardrobe malfunctions?

And what exactly is the "health problem"? Scott skated over to the judges and asked to re-start. Where did he explain the health problem?

A leg cramp at two different 4CC's? Not buying it.

So, does "Carmen" put a stop to the old argument that D/W skate to "easier, well-known music" and V/M skate to "difficult, more obscure music"?

Ryan Pyette ‏@RyanatLFPress
Cramp in the leg isn't usually much to worry about, but Tessa Virtue has proven a warrior who doesn't stop for minor pain.
10:18 AM - 10 Feb 13​

But she did stop?

And yet Charlie keeps going, with asthma, no excuses there...

Last edited:

Dots

Final Flight
This incident is going to prompt some rule changes next year. It's pretty obvious this is going to be set up as an example.

I'm glad to hear Tessa is doing ok. It was probably do to nerves. Sometimes when you get nervous your muscles tense up a bit. It's like having a panic attack and your body goes into shock.

The Shibutanis should have been third at the very least. What a lyrical and artistic FD. This is a cornerstone for them I feel. This is probably the first time I have seen them truly connect to their music. Lovely indeed.

Gilles & Poirier flashy, powerful, speedy, exciting, etc... etc. I predict a top six finish at world. I really can see this happening.