Davis & White to regain World title? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Davis & White to regain World title?

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I refuse to predict anything about the future for either team, but I can't wait to see what programs they'll chose next season. And I hope neither will retire after Sochi. I'll be devastated when either decides it's time to go on to the next stage of their lives.

Doris, not to disappoint you, but isn't it virtually certain V/M will retire after Sochi? They recently talked about this year's Worlds probably being their last. And with all the injuries they've had, it's hard to see them continuing.

I always assumed D/W would retire after Sochi, too. But lately, I've been wondering if they might decide to go on a bit longer. They're in incredible shape physically, they've never had any serious injuries (knock on wood!!!), and frankly, they're just so darn good at this point. And it's not like there are many professional opportunities. If they want to keep skating after Sochi, competing is probably their best bet.

I agree with you, it's difficult to imagine ice dance now without V/M and D/W. It's not like there's not other good teams out there, there are in fact many good teams, but that's the thing--they're all just good, not great like V/M and D/W.

KatEll

Rinkside
more like a scandal if V/M win over D/W

I find it funny how an event held in Canada does not guarantee a win. Yet if Canadian skaters do win, the argument becomes..."they were overmarked because the event was in Canada", "the crowd influenced the judges", "Skate Canada had the judges in their back pocket", etc. It would appear sky_fly20 is already setting the stage to use those excuses.

Last edited:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I find it funny how an event held in Canada does not guarantee a win. Yet if Canadian skaters do win, the argument becomes..."they were overmarked because the event was in Canada", "the crowd influenced the judges", "Skate Canada had the judges in their back pocket", etc. etc. It would appear sky_fly20 is already setting the stage to use those excuses.

did I say overmarked ? for whatever reason they I said will have the homeground advantage, by crowd support and other factors to it
this is a crucial Worlds and the results will impact for the Olympics they cannot afford to lose to D/W
so this is why for me I will be really shocked if D/W win Worlds at London

imo V/M is almost sure lock for gold barring clear mistakes

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
True, but they're still performing for an audience and a panel of judges, and you didn't see Michelle Kwan, Kaetlyn Osmond, or Kim Yuna sexualizing their Carmen programs. I think that there's a line, and the overtly sexual moves are toeing it.

There's a fine line. Anissina and Peizerat had provocative moves and costumes, and it often enhanced their programs.

I think it's way too close to call. Who knows what could have happened if there was no interruption in this FD. I still think D/W would have pulled ahead, but it was a 3 point victory, after an interruption. I might have been much closer.

Both are excellent FDs, but I always prefer difficulty (since both teams already possess excellent skating skills, interpretation, edges, etc.). But D/W are also less sloppy. I'm sure V/M will be ready for Worlds but they might have given up any edge they had with this competition, unfortunately. This being said, Sochi is no sure shot... the only practical certainty is that they will go 1-2 again.

And if D/W continue on after Sochi, it's hard to imagine them not winning the next 3 world titles, since yes, other teams are good, but nobody's challenging for 'great'.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Actually, in Quebec, Scott Moir had a catastrophic fall in the SD. This put V&M so far behind that whether the scoring glitsch were fixed or not, D&W would have won. The judges didn't come into it that much. It's possible that the pressure of competing at home, that inspired the Canadians at the Vancouver Olympics, got to V&M at that event.

Yes, yes, true about Moir's SD fall in Quebec and about D/W's definitive win even if the scoring glitch had been fixed. (And of course it was a calculation error anyway, not a judging error.)

pangtongfan and I were responding to this comment:

D/W solidified as the the top team for 2013-2014 Season
the only held back for them is the venue, imo its impossible for them to beat V/M in Canadian soil.
now Olympics is another story

All I was trying to say is that Canadian soil did not ensure a V/M win in Quebec -- even when the prospect of their first GPF title offered extra motivation for them to win [not that V/M ever need extra motivation ;)].

Completely agree that a home venue is a double-edged sword: more fans, but also more pressure.
And the possibility of additional complications. Forgive me for repeating this anecdote, but the irony of it is still striking to me:
I remember an interviewer asking V/M how they felt when they heard the loud cheering and applause during their Vancouver CD. I think the reporter was expecting them to simply gush that all the friendly sound carried them to a greater skate than ever. To be sure, V/M did express appreciation for the intensity of audible support, but the forthright Moir also remarked that they felt nervous because the deafening spectator noise was drowning out the all-important music, which V/M had to struggle to hear.
So the positive crowd reaction, although clearly well-intentioned, inadvertently made V/M's performance more challenging.

rkuang

Rinkside
If D/W wins this title, I think it's highly likely V/M will find another training ground. While I think their training together has really helped them in the past (the results speak for themselves), V/M has often come out on top for the clutch titles. The second that is reversed, the dynamic will change. Frankly, I think they should start training separately before the Olympic year so that nothing distracting gets in the way.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I recall, back in 2011, after D&W won worlds, there was an interview with some of the Cantonites. The item that came out was that it wasn't the world gold that was the motivator; it was bragging rights for who was best in Canton, a status that is affirmed every new season when the disk with the practice music comes out. The top finishing team's music from the previous year is played first. The coaches offered to have two disks, one with V&M's music first (as Olympic champions) and one with D&W's music first (as the 2011 World Champions). Scott wanted the D&W music first, as a matter, I think, of fairness, and a motivator of the order of Charlie thinking, "lost a bronze medal by 0.04??? Got to get up and work, after 2009 Worlds."

I'm not sure what that all means exactly, but both teams have had & lost bragging rights at Canton now.

Will the one that loses out at Worlds put up with it, or have to move, this year? I can't say.

How interesting, Doris! I like the idea of their training together—I remember how cordially they behaved toward one another as they were waiting to go onto the podium at the Vancouver Olympics—but this may be the year when both sets need to train alone, at least for a time, just to focus. But which couple would get custody of the coach?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since V/M are definitely retiring and D/W have made no statements that they are considering retiring, I would think the coach has to stick with the team that's going on past Sochi.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I think dw do win worlds and vm retire after Canada worlds - even if they win. No vm in sochi

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think dw do win worlds and vm retire after Canada worlds - even if they win. No vm in sochi

As long as Tessa is capable of skating, no way would that happen, not with the Olympic team competition gold medal at stake. Canada badly wants to win team gold, and they need V/M to have any chance at doing that.

meem

On the Ice

I've been waiting for someone to say this. It's what I've been thinking for a couple of seasons now. There is something different about V/M's skating following their winning the gold medal at Vancouver (and I can't quite put my finger on it but IMO something is different).

gmyers

Record Breaker
As long as Tessa is capable of skating, no way would that happen, not with the Olympic team competition gold medal at stake. Canada badly wants to win team gold, and they need V/M to have any chance at doing that.

Team gold would be appealing for Canada but they might lose their Olympic title which would be less appealing for them even if they did win team gold.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
V/M wouldn't be competing post Vancouver if they weren't putting their title(s) on the line. I don't see them as quitters.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think there is a big difference in being hungry for an Olympic Gold Medal and being hungry to repeat it. I imagine the motivation isn't quite as intense. While I prefer W&D, I think the close competition between these two teams has probably kept V&M going. After you win a major title like the Olympics there is no shame in not defending it, as far as I'm concerned. Just ask Sarah Hughes and Tara Lipinski!

But I would be very surprised if V&M retire before the Olympics in their home country unless one or both of them physically could not skate to the level that's expected of a team of their stature. And even then I bet it would be a heart-wrenching decision!

I LOVE the competition between these two teams. I think they make each other better just by their presence. And as I've said before, as long as it's a North American gold medal, I'll be very happy. If it's W&D, I'll be ecstatic.

rvi5

On the Ice
But I would be very surprised if V&M retire before the Olympics in their home country unless one or both of them physically could not skate to the level that's expected of a team of their stature.
Do you mean Worlds?

I agree. As I have mentioned elsewhere, Worlds in London is their last chance to re-capture some of what they felt at Vancouver. It's possible a win at Worlds may mean more to them than Gold at Sochi. Although they have fans in Russia to cheer for them, it would not be the same.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Maybe V and M should have taken a year off. But I hope they refocus and give D and W a run for their money in Sochi. D and W will pick safe music; V and m need another Mahler masterpiece.