Denney/Coughlin withdraw from Worlds team | Golden Skate

Denney/Coughlin withdraw from Worlds team

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Just announced on IceNetwork. Scimeca/Knierim to replace them; Scimeca apparently is recovered from 4CC injury.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm not very happy; D&C were the best chance the US has to have 2 pairs at Olympics. I wonder whether Z&B will go to London, given that S&K withdrew almost without warning at 4CC's, in case they do the something similar at Worlds?

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Even with D/C out, chances are excellent we'll still hold on to 2 pairs slots for Sochi. (See discussion in previous thread on the U.S. Nationals page: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?39572-Senior-Pairs-Entries/page2.)

I respect D/C for making this decision (and quickly, too). His injury was serious, and he needs time to recover.

My main concern now is Scimeca's status. I hope she really is recovered--otherwise, it'd be better for Zhang/Bartholomay to compete. As long as she's okay, though, this will be great experience for her and Knierim.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm not very happy; D&C were the best chance the US has to have 2 pairs at Olympics. I wonder whether Z&B will go to London, given that S&K withdrew almost without warning at 4CC's, in case they do the something similar at Worlds?

Given the low number of pairs at Worlds, I think 2 spots is practically a guarantee. The requirement for two spots is 28. Both pairs would have to anchor the bottom of the rankings.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
This is true. But it's the first Worlds for both pairs, whether K&S or Z&B competes; C&S have never been to Worlds.

In any case, I hope whoever skates does a good job and qualifies for GP assignments.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Two spots is but a lock but three is doubtful. Ahead of both teams probably are the Germans, 3 Russian team, 2 Canadian teams, the Italians, Pang and Tong and or Sui and H and a french team. I would not have sent K and S - they didn't compete at 4ccs and they waren't that much better than Z and B at nationals. the truth of the matter is injured or not they will mask it to go as this is a chance of alifetime for them.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not that I'm wishing ill luck or ill health to anyone, but I'd love for Z/B to make their first trip to Worlds, for no other reason than I'd get to see them compete again.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Nobody expect US pairs to score high enough to secure three spots. If it ever happens, it's completely unexpected. The last time I remember it happening was in 2002, for the 2003 Worlds.

the US didn't even get 3 the time that I&B finished in fourth place after the 2006 Olympics. Hinzman & Parchem finished in 11th or 12.

goldseal11

Rinkside
Just thinking While S/K were in Japan at 4 Continents, they withdrew due to injury. I can't help but think USFSA told them to withdraw. Thinking D/C were not going to Worlds, USFSA did not want to take a chance and further the S/K injury and risk Worlds. Just thinking.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Not that I'm wishing ill luck or ill health to anyone, but I'd love for Z/B to make their first trip to Worlds, for no other reason than I'd get to see them compete again.

Per IN today (Feb 26):
Sappenfield reports that Alexa Scimeca and Chris Knierim, the U.S. silver medalists, are recovering well from a soft-tissue injury to Scimeca's right foot that forced them to withdraw from the 2013 Four Continents Championships: "They're training their run-throughs pain free. She has had a combination of different treatments and is responding well. They still have to be monitored next week [to determined readiness] for the world championships."
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130226&content_id=42015920&vkey=ice_news
(The part about S/K is buried at the end.)

Hmmm ... I wish S/K the best, but maybe the door to London remains open at least a crack for Zhang/Bartholomay???

Last edited:

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Yes, I read that too on IceNetwork. It sounds a little doubtful if S/K are ready.

I am glad to hear that the federation is monitoring and checking on them. This gives me hope that something was learned from the Czisny debacle last year.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The U.S was never regaining 3 spots even with D and C and it would be a huge upset if they dont keep 2 spots even without them. I dont think this means a whole lot except it would have been nice to see Denney & Coughlin compete and try for a top 6 or 7 finish to set themselves up better possibly for next year.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
The US barely has one world class team. We don't really need that second spot. It's really just there so if D/C splats at nationals they could still go to the Olympics and finish in the top 10, if they're lucky.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
There was no link in the OP. Is Coughlin injured? I don't follow American pairs, as I really don't care for our number 1 duo. And I feel bad for Caitlyn Y and feel she was dumped by Coughlin and she was good, better than Denney. It made no sense as they were doing well. Something about Coughlin makes me go, well, ick. Not sure why but it is there.

What is the deal with this pair and reasoning for the wd? TY.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought I had commented in this thread, and maybe my post got lost . Anyway, I hope that John will heal completely and be 100% for next season. No more injuries for anyone, please!

goldseal11

Rinkside
I thought I had commented in this thread, and maybe my post got lost . Anyway, I hope that John will heal completely and be 100% for next season. No more injuries for anyone, please!

I absolutely hope that John comes back 100%. Coming back too soon from a traumatic hip labral tear can be difficult and risky for an athlete. His range of motion can be limited now and the chance of injuring again is there. This type of injury can be career ending if it happens again. I'm sure he is getting excellent advice from a top notch medical team. It's obvious that they recommended he take more time. Taking more time might be skating later in the season as well.