Han Yan | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Han Yan

yyyskate

Record Breaker
It was a great Sp considering Hanee is having a fever. Congratulations, please rest well and wish you good luck in tomorrow's LP.

spikydurian

Medalist
Have a good rest indeed, Hanee. You can do it. You need a bronze to qualify for GPF (does he?). I am not sure.

icekiwi

On the Ice
I have been watching and rewatching a lot of the men's skates throughout this GP series. Heard in one commentary (Eurosports Brittish at NHK) that Daisuke has qualified for GP Final even though he came 4th in Skate America while Nobunari who came 2nd and 3rd in series have to wait. Both Nobu and Dai garnered 24 points from the rankings of 2/3 and 1/4 if you know what I mean. Perhaps having a Gold in one of the GPs give you precedence. In any case, I'm hoping for Silver or Bronze here if he skates like he did at COC. All the best to Han!

spikydurian

Medalist
Don't worry. Even if he comes into 4th place, he surely can proceed to the final.
I think fourth place is no issue for Han Yan. Because of his fever and lost time in practice, I have played down my expectations but I do want to see him qualify for GPF because I think win or lose, the experience is important in the elite field.
I do not know how qualifications are calculated but I think besides how one fare, it is also dependent on the score of other skaters. I vividly remember coming across a post where it was stated that Han Yan needs a fourth place or better to qualify for GPF. How does it work, gardenernaga?

Coriana

On the Ice
It's based on where they place in a competition. 15 pts for a first place, 13 for second, 11 for third etc. A first at NHK nets Dai 15, and his 4th place - 9 - which means he has 24 points. Since thirteen and eleven is also 24 a number of skaters are going to end up with 24 this year. You can go to the ISU site.. ISU.org - click on "single and pairs" - go down to Grand Prix and click on "Standings" and all will become clear. You will also see how ties are broken.

spikydurian

Medalist
Any news about Han Yan? Hope he has recovered from his fever. This young lad is amazing to have skated (even with errors) the way he did when he's obviously sick. Apparently, he has got into the GPF. Congrats to Han Yan.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Any news about Han Yan? Hope he has recovered from his fever. This young lad is amazing to have skated (even with errors) the way he did when he's obviously sick. Apparently, he has got into the GPF. Congrats to Han Yan.
He posted a few selfies on his weibo, never forget to do that, even when he is having a fever:laugh:
Guess he is doing okay.

spikydurian

Medalist
That's great. It means he's recovering or recovered! Poor kid. FAncy being sick at the wrong time.

spikydurian

Medalist
Probably too tired, not enough rest and change of weather? I think his team needs to do something to help him to acclimatise in future. You don't want to fall sick when travelling for competitions.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
he gets fever rather frequently when traveling abroad... must be frustrating!

Probably too tired, not enough rest and change of weather? I think his team needs to do something to help him to acclimatise in future. You don't want to fall sick when travelling for competitions.

I remembered that Han Yan also had a fever and/or was sick at 2011 JGPF, and was beaten by Jason Brown for the title. So yes, I agree that something needs to be done regarding this. I really like what I saw of Hanee in China, so I'm hoping he'll be better for GPF, Olympics and Worlds! :)

spikydurian

Medalist
Any news on Hanee's training? Hope he's ready for GPF. Should be exciting for this kid. First GPF! Hope he gains a lot of mileage out of this experience. Should prepare him well for Sochi and bigger things to come. Looking forward to him adding another layer to his programs.

Figuring

Rinkside
A new interview from Han Yan recently, talking about the goal for the GPF.

Q: Have you ever thought about making it to the GPF in your debut on the senior Grand Prix circuit?

A: I didn’t. This is my first season on the senior circuit. Before Cup of China, I was not sure how the competition would go and whether the judges would buy my programs. So I didn’t think about the GPF at all. Winning at the Cup of China kept the door open and I started contemplating the possibility of qualifying for the GPF.

Q: The competition at TEB was fierce, and you ended up at the 4th place. It was not your best performance, given that you had a fever. What do you think?

A: Well, I did meet the goal I set for TEB, finishing in the top 4 so that I would qualify for the GPF. Of course I hoped to make it on the podium, but I didn’t accomplish that. I don’ think it could all be attributed to the fever. I mean I lost some stamina but had I had a very good stamina to begin with, I could have performed better. But I am happy that I can go to the GPF.

Q: At TEB, you competed with a couple exceptional skaters, including your idol Patrick Chan. What was in your mind about competing with him during the same competition?

A: Chan has always been my idol and I learned a lot from him. He put on an exceptional performance there. To me, he has changed a lot, not necessarily the progress he has made on the technical side, but the manner he has while on ice. When he first won Worlds a couple years ago, he looked like a young skater, but now his dominance has fully come out.

Q: Russia’s Kovtun and you both made it to the Final in your debut on the senior Grand Prix circuit. What do you think is the difference between you and skaters such as Patrick Chan and Daisuke Takahashi?

A: I think it’s mostly about the experiences. In terms of the technical side, we all can do quads, and of course it depends on the day if we can successfully execute the jumps. But experience is the most valuable. To me, Takahashi stands out from the rest. Once he steps on the ice, he is fully expressing himself. He is not only a skater, but a dancer! My goal at this moment is to complete all the planned elements. In terms of music interpretation and expression, I am not quite there yet. And that’s the area I need to learn and improve.

Q: What is your goal at the Final?

A: In terms of placement, I didn’t set a goal for myself. It’s totally fine if I end up last place. I could lose to any of the skaters, but I hope that I won’t be too behind in terms of the scores – a couple of points, or ten points or so are fine. I will try my best so that I won’t be behind by 20-30 points. That’s right, you can write that my goal is to finish in the top 6 at the Final.

Q: We heard that you could do two kinds of quads in training since 2011. But you haven’t used that in competition. Why so?

A: There is a difference between doing a jump in practice and successfully executing it in competition. During the Grand Prix, my goal was to be consistent since the results would determine who gets to go to Sochi. And I think that it would be enough if I could put up with with my current technical difficulty. In terms of future competitions, if I get to go to the ones I have been looking forward to, such as the Winter Olympics or the Worlds, I hope to step up in terms of technical difficulty. As of right now, my focus is on putting on more complete and consistent performances.

Q: People say that you are the representative of a new generation of Chinese male skaters, not only because of your young age, but also of your solid skating skills, which set you apart from the older generation. What do you think?

A: Talking about my skating skills, I really need to thank my coach for that. Ever since I was little, she put so much emphasis on skating skills and spins. When I was young, I was good at spins, but not very good at jumps. But my coach was very patient, trying to help me build a good foundation, instead of rushing to all the jumps. I used to not understand my coach’s approach because we spent a lot of time practicing skating skills and spins, while skaters under other coaches learned the jumps very quickly. Now thinking back, the approach my coach took was absolutely the right one.

Q: You worked with Lori Nichol for your two programs this year and while you were there, you also received some lessons and training. What’s your opinion on training aboard?

A: Where you train is not the most important. If I get to decide who gets to go aboard and study, I would say send our coaches. Only when coaches get to go and learn something new, can they come back and share the knowledge with the skaters. If a skater gets to train aboard, he or she is the only one getting the benefits. And not every skater is suitable/ready for training abroad.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
What is the sourse of this interview, figuring? Thank you. Very well translated.

Han shows much intelligence and maturity in this interview, especially his answer to the last question. :agree:

I am sure he will place in the top six at the GPF, :) probably at his first Olympics as well. I wish him the best at both events.

spikydurian

Medalist
Han shows much intelligence and maturity in this interview, especially his answer to the last question. :agree:
I think so too. You can't get good students if you do not have good teachers. Kudos to Hanee for his mature thinking. Looking forward to seeing a good skate from him this evening.
Hey SF, Chan Dynasty followed by Yan Dynasty?;)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Hey SF, Chan Dynasty followed by Yan Dynasty?;)

Han has the champion vibe, like Chan, Yagudin, Plushenko, Joubert, Takahashi. Nathan Chen and Nam Nguyen seem to have it too though they are still so young. But I sensed it in Han Yan since he was just 14.

Figuring

Rinkside
What is the sourse of this interview, figuring? Thank you. Very well translated.

I am sure he will place in the top six at the GPF, :) probably at his first Olympics as well. I wish him the best at both events.

Here's the link

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Hanee and his coach is thinking about upgrade his program difficulty in order to become more competitive in OG (and congratulations, he has been announced on the OG team officially). In the recent China national comp, he was spotted practicing 4S and fell badly on one of the attempt (he did not practice 4T yet, due to the newly changed skates). Unfortunately, he dislocated his shoulder again. but still hung on and skated his 2 programs and finished 4th. According to his Weibo, he could not fall asleep because of the shoulder pain, and he did some doodle.
http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/bmiddle/76ad8596jw1ec0hxt4o70j20dc0hsjt8.jpg
I hope you can see this work from him.
That was super cute!

and a New Year Message from Hanee
http://video.sina.com.cn/v/b/123207805-3302415143.html