Han Yan | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Han Yan

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Happy birthday, Honey! May your years be better and better.

We get to enjoy Han's beautiful birthday gift too, not bad. :)

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
happy birthday han yan!! i hope the rest of the year and rest of his career will be injury and crash free :cheer:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Happy Birthday to the selfie-king!! :hb::party2::rock:

May he have an amazing year with lots of fun, success and health(!!!). And may he continue to bless us all with numerous cute selfies :biggrin:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Preview of Worlds on Japanese TV, featuring Yuzuru's rivals Han Yan and Javier Fernandez. Reposting Newbiespectator's link from Javi's thread:

Translation of the parts where Han Yan speaks Chinese:
- He says that he and Yuzuru competed together, and in a way, grew up together.
- He feels fear when in a slump, wondering if the injury will ever heal, if he'll recover his form (could be a reference to his post-crash state, but my Japanese is too nonexistent for the proper context)
- His goal is to create history: to achieve the best men's singles results from a Chinese skater.*

*Functionally, this would mean getting on the podium at Worlds, since China's best finish is fourth (Chengjiang Li, 2003).

Gliding on ice

Rinkside
An article (by Jinyi Hu) from China Sport Illustrated on the latest interview with Han Yan just came out and I just like to share it here,

To realize the unfilled dream for Chinese figure skating male team, Han Yan and Nan Song will fight their way shoulder by shoulder. Their fast and powerful steps seem to be heard by the whole world this time.

"I like watching Daisuke and Patrick skate. I could feel their halo when they are on the ice."

Both Han Yan and Nan Song became known at the throughs of Chinese male team. In September 2009, Han Yan, of only 13 years old, won his title in National Championships by beating all Chinese top men skaters. Two Months later, Nan Song won silver in Junior Grand Prix Final in Tokyo.
However, all those inspiring news could not make up for the heavy losses of losing the only qualified spot for Vancouver Olympics. In 2009 world championships, Jialiang Wu, the Chinese only competitor, ranked 28th in short program and failed to qualify for the free skate, making the Chinese male team miss the Olympics for the first time since 1984.

Of course, these will not influence a young skater's excitements to watch that wonderful game. "I like watching Daisuke and Patrick skate. I could feel their halo when they are on the ice. At that time I didn't even dare to imagine that I could compete with them one day. It seemed as if they skated on a different ice, and that was completely another world." said Han.

In fact, with the amazing debut in his junior competitions, Han Yan is also thought as an outstanding talent with the light of halo by many people. In 2009, he scored 182.54 and won gold at the JGP in Turkey. He was deeply impressed even though he quit the rest of the competitions due to a fracture injury.

"China is still waiting for a true male figure skating star, and perhaps Han Yan can fill that spot."said Tatjana Flade, the specializer in figure skating in 2011. During that summer, Tatjana took time to an Asian junior game in Guangdong, China, just to see this "Junior Patrick Chan".

In 2011 Worlds, Patrick Chan won his world title by breaking all three world records in short program, long program and overall score. Besides his huge technique compositions, his program component scores is more admirable. He got all the marks in the 9's(out of 10) except a 8.93 in transitions. Takahiko Kozuka, who got the second higher PCS in that free skate, got all components under 8.5. For the Chinese men skaters at that time, their scores walk only around 6 in all five components. "The team struggled with choreography, skating skills and interpretation at that time, therefore we could not be recognized by international judges. Especially after the new judging system worked out, we felt that we could not keep up with the time." said Chengjiang Li.

"The training for figure skaters is based on their time on the ice in their juniors. It takes 4 to 5 hours to skate on ice for a young Japanese skater. This will improve their feelings of skate, making their steps smoother in the future." said Nubuo Sato, the celebrated coach who have ever guided multiple world champions like Yuka Sato and Mao Asada. These words made a deep influence on Shuguang Jia's coaching philosophy.

In Harbin, Jia's team does the most intense basic trainings. "Our coach still kept me working on the basic moves like crossover, steps and turns when boys at my age had already begun to try triples. I couldn't understand that at that time, but I believe that what she gave me is for sure the best." Shuguang Jia and Han Yan went together through their ten years of mentoring relying on this trusting relationship.

After 2014 Worlds, Han Yan posted a photo with Coach Jia through his weibo, with the words, "My mother and I".

"Han, your pants wore out, take it to me at night!" It was less than a month before Shanghai World Championships. Han's training becomes very intensive in the late February. On the way back to his dorm, his coach found that the zipper on his trouser leg was broken, and she sticked it with a white blanket for him.

"Han Yan is a worrying boy, but not in the training. He is very concentrating in his training, but his mood fluctuates sometimes. He behaves like a big boy all the time, missing this and that, flappable and excitable. Therefore I have to be with him and give him suggestions." Shuguang's daughter is also an ice dancer in national junior team, but she gave most of her time to her 'son'.

Required Elements: In Lori Nichol, the famous choreographer's eye, Han Yan is a naughty boy, and she enjoys putting his habitual movements into his program.

"Han Yan owns excellent skating skills that can match Patrick Chan and Takahiko Kozuka, and his triple axel and the edges of his triple lutz are all among top levels." once commented a foreign magazine. He looks like a naughty boy, and his selfies in his weibo often makes topical among his fans. This 1996-born boy not only stands out from Chinese all-time weakness in skating skills, but his personalities off the ice overthrow the common sense of Chinese male skaters in the past as well.

In his sina weibo, Han Yan is not only a prince of selfies, but also likes interacting with his fans, and asking for his game photos his fans take for him. In 2015 Four Continent Championships, he took photos of all his posters in the rink in particular, and posted them to his weibo to say thanks to all of these support. In this social networks, he also complains about his hard training, shows his travel photos with friends, and even fights back against people misunderstanding him.

"I never consider myself as an idol, I'm just an ordinary guy. I twitt all the things for myself, for those who likes it, not for those who don't." posted Han Yan in his weibo last November, because someone doubted that the collision in Cup of China with the Olympic champion Hanyu Yuzuru was a potential move.

'It's unusual to see an athlete fight back like this and you almost overturns my knowledge of a traditional athlete." "Is it a compliment?" asked Han Yan with a stun.

"I don't mean to be different. The 'different' people think of me is nothing but I want to become what I like, and lead a free life I want. I don't care how people say or think. I'm not born to be a mamma's boy, and I don't think I could be an excellent skater as long as I stay quietly at my dorm in my spare time. In my mind, besides hard training, an athlete should have his own style and personalities. Only in this way, can one really leave something special of his own in a sport. Where is the fun for people being the same?"

The collision in COC messed up the plan of his whole season, making him suffer from the first desperate time in his career. The 2013-2014 GPF qualifier even failed to rank top 5 in two Grand Prix Series this year. "People have ever told me that athletes will meet peaks and valleys, and I should always move forward like waves, however I don't understand at that time. Everything went well since my junior, and I didn't think that I would have a low ebb. But when a homeground Worlds is followed by a Olympic season, I felt pressure physically and mentally. Then I got hurt, it's hard not to worry more about myself."

Fortunately, Han Yan got himself back in 2015 Four Continent Championships. Even though he only ties his past 4CC records, he skates as he wants to. "I can't say how well I skate and it's not about the medal. I'm happy because I finally skate to my best after so many accidents."

In Korea, Japanese men team missed 4CC medals for the first time during the past eight years, however, Denis Ten from Kazakhstani and Han Yan defend this honor for Asian skaters. When a reporter asks him how he thinks about the rising of Asian men skaters, he said, "In fact Asian men skaters keep a high level during these years, and that's why people expects more for the Chinese time. It's hard to catch up with Japan at present cause it's really a big team. I'm trying to prove that the Chinese team is competitive at the coming world championships."

An almost success: Nan Song once got his prime in 2011, unfortunately the continuous injuries hinder his improvements to the Olympic season.

The interview is arranged on the first Sunday in March, it finally clears up after a whole cloudy week in Beijing. After a precious lie-in, Nan Song missed his canteen breakfast, and could only cook instant noodles for himself. The time he got his second bowl, Han Yan came in, taking noodles from Nan Song, eating some and leaving it aside.

"Let's go." Han Yan turned around and left. Nan Song sighed with a smile, washing the bowls and followed him leave.
The whole morning was their laughters and show-offs during the interview.

"We don't cooperate because this is a single event. But when we got two qualified spot, I really hope that it's Nan Song who could compete together with me. Since the time that I was selected for the national team, either he or I have to fight for this or that spot, but now we could finally fight together." In last Worlds, Han Yan ranked 7th and got a second spot which Chinese lost for quite a long time. It's Nan Song who will compete together with Han Yan this year. This 24-year-old skater will show on world championships again after two years, and this will be his second international game this season.

Due to the unlucky injuries, Nan Song spent most of his time in bed last year. "It seems that when people talks about me, I'm either in hospital or on the way to hospital." He could play a joke like this now, but several months ago, when he watched live in bed, he was the only person who could feel his own depression.

Unlike Han Yan, Nan Song, who joined the national team in 2010, witnessed the lean years of the Chinese men team. At that time, the best skater, Jialiang Wu was preparing for retirement, and another teammate, Jinlin Guan suffered his triple axel for a long time due to injury. Under such a plight, all expectations are put onto Nan Song. He represented China to compete 2011 worlds in his first senior season but only ranked 22nd.

"I know people's expectations and everyone wants me to get two spots back for China. I really want to reward for this. In that year, I even count how I could push myself into top 10 by beating this and that. These thought dragged my performance."

At the start of 2011-12 season, when reporters asked how his training goes, this all-time humble, cautious boy said, "Pretty good!" When he found my astonishment, he explained, "I really feel good. I tell the truth, because I work really hard." His hard work paid off. He medaled on both COC and TEB that year. Especially in Trophée Eric Bompard, he landed three quad-toes in both programs, exceeded Patrick Chan's technical scores, and won a silver, making history in senior grand prix series for Chinese men skaters at that time.

Pityfully, his good state didn't last to world championships. In 2012 four continent championship, he suffered altitude sickness and almost fainted in kiss and cry. This accident sapped his strength greatly, and he missed top 10 again at worlds. In the following season, he withdrew from Cup of China due to a collision with Adam Rippon, and then suffered a pulled muscle before worlds, ranking only 15th in the worlds as an Olympic qualifier. Meanwhile , Han Yan begun to compete on the senior level with his junior world title.

But the Chinese men team has only one spot for Sochi.

The final ending is as known. At the night that the 2013 national figure skating championships ended, Nan Song sat in the hotel's bed, eating his meal his teammate Wenbo Zang kept for him. Wenbo put the food on the heating to keep it from getting cold in particular. "You shouldn't do that previously." said Cong Han sitting opposite.

What Cong Han mentioned, perhaps, was that Nan Song thumped the sideboards after he finished his free skate. Nan Song didn't reply. It seemed that Cong Han still wanted to say something but finally gave up.

But things changed again when Olympics approached. Han Yan lost his form unreasonably after arriving Sochi. 'I suddenly cannot jump at all with no reason. I cannot do anything." When he stood on the ice in Sochi, watching others skate past, his mind was just a blank. After watching Han Yan's practice, the leaders informed Nan Song, who had already went back home to spend Spring Festivals, prepared to be an alternate. "Even though I know that the chance is quite slim, as long as the Chinese team need me, I'm willing to be a good substitute.'

"It was just nervous at that time when I look back. I was too nervous to realize that it was nervous. And I felt fearful that this precious spot was wasted by me. It was Olympics, and if I had a poor performance, I would fail to live up to everyone's effort." recalled Han Yan. Fortunately, he landed his first triple axel two days before the team event, " I told myself it was just a game, and I have to convinced myself that it was just a game."

"When do you accept the reality that you are not included in the Chinese team to Olympics?" I asked Nan Song a long time after Sochi.

"It could be a moment, or a long time." Nan Song thought for a while. What makes him really accept it is what his coach, Wei Li told him later, "Competitive sports have to keep making progress. If Han Yan cannot exceed you, then the Chinese team cannot move forward."

Asian Power: Han Yan achieves lots of fans all over the world due to his excellent skating skills and jumping abilities. He became the Asian new force after Daisuke Takahashi and Yuzuru Hanyu.

Recently, to prepare for the world junior championships, young skaters trained in local team all compete in Beijing. Both 18-year-old He Zhang and 17-year-old Boyang Jin land quads, and the younger Yan Hao is also improving his jumping composition. Perhaps they will soon stand where Nan Song and Han Yan have their fame. At that time, Han Yan and Nan Song will no longer be a spring chicken in the team any more.

"Sometimes I will think about why the US and Canada is called a strong team. It's not because a single one is competitive, but because anyone is competitive. They are like an enormous tree, which will harvest as long as it's treated right. Sometimes, it's not about how far I can reach, but about that if I do better, the upcoming skaters will do easier in the future."

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
Thanks for the article ^^ . I think China has a great future in men's skating, Han Yan is still very young and his potential is incredible and Boyang already has the jumps even though he needs much improvement. It's going to be very interesting to see how these young man do ;)

Alchamei

Record Breaker
I am very glad he skated how he skated at 4CC. After disapointing GP and this collision, he certainly deserved to medal here. I wanted Shoma and Daisuke to medal and the results were close but Han Yan definietly lighted up my day. His 3A are to die for. Today I've revached them for like 20 times?! :laugh:

iceflame

Rinkside
I feel strange that Han Yan's combo in SP didn't get *1.1 bonus as he always gets.
I know it maybe because the judge was very very strict, but after watching several videos I think it should be safe.
The result would have been different if the judge had counted it correctly........:cry:

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I feel strange that Han Yan's combo in SP didn't get *1.1 bonus as he always gets.
I know it maybe because the judge was very very strict, but after watching several videos I think it should be safe.
The result would have been different if the judge had counted it correctly........:cry:

it seems like the tech controller is the Russian dude who is also the tech controller of Sochi Lady's...:shrug:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Did he jump it in the half point??