Reason for Tim's Withdrawl | Golden Skate

Reason for Tim's Withdrawl

polo player

Spectator
I don't know - it is puzzling - even for Timmy. Will really miss him at World's this season, plus he's been so reliable the past two years for getting the U.S. silver medals! We're not sending anybody with the record of success he's had - PLUS- after his showdown with PLush last season, it would have been exciting to maybe see one again.

At first I thought a good Chiropractor could handle his body allignment but after reading Dr. Yu's diagnosis, this is very serious.

At Nats, it was so sad to watch him miss so much. The crowd was stunned and the applaus was not for the skate but for him personally. We all knew it was more than boots.

Let's hope he gets whatever attention he needs to correct these problems.

Joe

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for this article. When I heard he had withdrawn, I wondered why and if his poor skate had anything to do with it and thought Tim wouldn't do that. In the K&C area he just looked so dejected. Poor Timmy, I hope this isn't career ending.:confused: :confused:

Dee

Seonaid920

On the Ice
Call my crazy but I think intense Yoga training could help align his body properly and give him more balance and improve his posture. When I heard he had gone through 13 sets of boots this season I knew the boots were not the problem.

Hopefully he can work out his troubles and be back in good form for the 2004-05 season.

I'm with Joe on this one. I don't think chiropracty or yoga or anything could have helped Tim. I think the boots set off a vicious cycle of his body trying to adapt to the misalignments caused by the boots and every boot change just made things worse, causing the proverbial domino effect. Chiropracty, yoga, Pilates, whatever can help a slightly out of balance body regain balance, but Tim's skeleton is a mess. It's as if Tim's body has the equivalent of pneumonia and remedies for colds don't help pneumonia. It's going to take a long time and expert help. My heart just breaks for the guy.
Rgirl

This makes me think how remarkable skaters bodies must be when they are healthy. The average person could not begin to do these feats, no matter how hard they trained. I bet the misalignment in Tim's skeletal structure is measured in millimeters, yet that's the difference between being able to do an effortless quad and struggling in pain to do a triple. Sometimes your body just turns against you.

Here's to a spectacular comeback for Tim next season!

Mathman

LittleAngelCora

Rinkside
I feel so sorry for Timothy and also I'm really scared. I really hope that he can get everything fixed and come back as good as before and maybe even better.

I'm also a bit mad because when ABC broadcasted the men's long program they didn't give a reason for his withdrawal. It was just like, "Oh, he withdrew" which really made me mad. He deserves for people to know that he didn't withdraw just because he had a bad short.

Courtney

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
My body just hurts thinking about Tim's problems. It's amazing how apparently small biomechanical differences can affect the body. I'd expect that the force of landing a quad would greatly exacerbate the problems. I hope the orthotics work, and he is strong next year.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
I'm with Joe on this one. I don't think chiropracty or yoga or anything could have helped Tim. I think the boots set off a vicious cycle of his body trying to adapt to the misalignments caused by the boots and every boot change just made things worse, causing the proverbial domino effect. Chiropracty, yoga, Pilates, whatever can help a slightly out of balance body regain balance, but Tim's skeleton is a mess.
My fear for Plushenko all year has been similar: that overcompensation for his knee will knock his body out of alignment. By having surgery and staying off the ice, hopefully Plushenko will have the same experience as dancers and have time to "un-learn" bad habits as he regains his strength. It will be harder for Goebel, because he still has the strength to move the wrong way.

Julia

Rinkside
There has been a lot of talk lately about these "old lady" injuries everybody is having like hip injuries and whatever. Our quad king may have the next level of injury and things will just get worse for skaters as the jumps increase. It did Tara in as far as having much of a skating career after the Olympics. I saw her at SOI and they said she'd be doing limited skating due to injury.
This is weird and strange and frightening and I am just speculating.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
You really have to respect Tim. It sounds like the USFSA would have given him a bye to Worlds had he asked and he didn't even hesitate to say no. This news is frightening... looks like Timmy fans will need to send encouraging letters to Tim... and I don't think sending prayers his way would hurt either!

heyang

Record Breaker
I agree with LittleAngelCora. I was really annoyed that there was no explanation of Tim's withdrawal. The general public probably think that he's being a wimp instead of having a major health problem. My 1st indication of this problem was a blurb in an e-mail I received from IFS magazine. I found the longer article at the SOI forum.

I'm glad Tim has his priorities in order. Since he wants to compete in Turin, he realizes that it's better to take the time now than to have bigger problems next year and forward.

katherine2001

On the Ice
I'm glad that the USFSA didn't give him a bye. Why tempt him to do something that he has no business doing? He needs to get well, and he won't be able to do that if he's still competing. I hope he does whatever he needs to do so that his body can get realigned correctly, even if it means not skating for awhile. If he keeps trying to skate with the problem, he may end up never totally healing and having problems the rest of his life, especially as he gets older.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
This is just so awful, and I feel badly for Tim. But after Tara and Alexei, didn't we all know it was just a matter of time...?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I am so sad about Tim. It's amazing how well he was able to do at China and NHK considering the problems. I hope the doctor will be able to help. I do worry about Frank not putting the hammer down and saying let's get this fixed. I think Frank wants the medals more than the welfare of his students.

dpp

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:
This is just so awful, and I feel badly for Tim. But after Tara and Alexei, didn't we all know it was just a matter of time...?

I guess.... but it just seemed like Tim was a-okay so I never really thought it could happen to HIM

and I don't think Frank is nessicerily in it for medals as much as he just wants another *Michelle Kwan*

he's not the coach everyone goes to for an interview anymore... it's either Robin Wagner or TT... he's kinda the forgotten coach now that Michelle's left him...

It does make you think about just how many quads a body is good for in a lifetime. Alexei, now Tim, and don't forget Evgeny's knee problems -- it could be that a whole generation of top men's competitors are through at age 21-23.

About Frank Carroll's new little protege, two thoughts. If she has the talent to do triple jumps at fourteen, I think it is unresonable to expect any coach to hold her back. If he did, the skater and her parents would just find another coach.

Secondly, about the comparisons to Tara -- I think that's a little premature. At age 14 Tara was World Champion.

Mathman

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It does make you think about just how many quads a body is good for in a lifetime. Alexei, now Tim, and don't forget Evgeny's knee problems -- it could be that a whole generation of top men's competitors are through at age 21-23.

Kurt Browning is another one... his 1992 chance of a medal was really thwarted due to his back injury... I wonder if the quad had something to do with that as well?

And then there's Elvis Stojko... I mean Todd was able to stick it out with the young guys WITHOUT a quad... where as Elvis....