2013 World Figure Skating Championships: Entries | Golden Skate

2013 World Figure Skating Championships: Entries

SamuraiKike

Medalist
ISU has published the entries today:

http://www.isuresults.com/events/fsevent00051438.htm

General thoughts:

Men (41 entries listed/only 34 qualified so far):

* Song going instead of Yan, maybe fair enough but Nan's chances to go to Sochi are actually better if Yan goes.
* Ponsart instead of Besseghier? French fed never fails to pull W.T.F. assignments.
* No Raya despite having the scores and the spot available. Stupid spanish fed.
* Of all the not yet qualified skaters only Parkinson has a slight chance to get it.

Ladies (40 entries listed/ only 32 qualified so far):

* When did Patricia Glescic got the scores? I missed that.
* Francesca Rio instead of Roberta Rodeghiero despite the later having reached the scores while the former hasnt.
* Meite was chosen instead of Gilleron-Gorry. yay
* Gjersem and Van Daele are going for the LP score today at Challenge Cup. Afonkina may get it at Jr. Worlds. All the others not qualified are hopeless IMO.

Pairs (21 entries listed/only 18 qualified so far):

* Pang/Tong and Sui/Han listed, doubt they will actually appear. They din't incluide Wang/Zhang as substitutes which is stupid. This could cause CHN getting only one spot for Sochi.
* I so want Lavrentieva/Rudyk to get the scores at Jr. worlds

Ice Dance (34 entries listed/only 29 qualified so far):

* I don't really get the point of entering teams without the scores here. There's not any senior dance competiton from now till worlds so they're basically OUT. The only team still with hopes are the Uzbeks who will be at Jr. Worlds.
*There's a junior BLR team with the scores. I missed that also.
*Weaver & Poje are back, YAY.

Last edited:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
2003 Worlds? ;) And, Francesca Rio is competing today at the Challenge Cup so she has a real chance to get the minimum TES, and I think that she is listed instead of Rodeghiero because Roberta already had her chance at euros, skated pretty well (3F+2T, 3T step out, 2A) but it wasn't enough even to reach the FS...

SamuraiKike

Medalist
2003 Worlds? ;) And, Francesca Rio is competing today at the Challenge Cup so she has a real chance to get the minimum TES, and I think that she is listed instead of Rodeghiero because Roberta already had her chance at euros, skated pretty well (3F+2T, 3T step out, 2A) but it wasn't enough even to reach the FS...

Yes, I know Rio is going for the scores today at Challenge Cup but her LP scores has been disastrous all season so Im not counting on it. Hope she proves me wrong though.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Dance Entries

I see O'Brien & Merriman are on the list, despite not getting the TES. Also Huang & Zheng CHN (none of the Chinese dancers have the minimum TES in the SD, AFAIR).

I wonder whether there is a movement to have the ISU drop the TES scores for dance, as they did for the other 3 disciplines?

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Kaat van Daele and Anne Line Gjersem has just made the technical minimums while Rio has failed.
I also agree about Song and Yan case.
Maybe Spain think they can get 3 spots for Olympics? If Fernandez is second at this year's World championships, then Raya would make it gone if he also competes there. I am not sure about this.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
LEONOVA is going, after such a bad season? I love her energy and whole-hearted performance, but her jumps been really questionable.
Glad to see Kexin Zhang is at least on the list, and Siu/Han on the list. At least, there is a chance they will compete:clap:.
And finally we can be sure Yuna is going to compete here.

starryxskies

On the Ice
Since they cut out prelims, imagine if all remaining skaters make the TES by Worlds... audiences are gonna have to sit through 40 short programs? Wow.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
He's a substitute currently so Fed can still decide between him and Song I think. Maybe they are waiting for Yan's shoulder injury from 4CC to totally heal before making the decision?

* Song going instead of Yan, maybe fair enough but Nan's chances to go to Sochi are actually better if Yan goes.

Chinese Federation officials are doing a great job hurting their own skaters over and over and over again.

Yan Han would most likely easily place top 10. Song Nan most likely won't.

* Ponsart instead of Besseghier? French fed never fails to pull W.T.F. assignments.

Yeah, seriously where did that come from?

Besseghier was 9th at Euros and he just skated a clean SP (3t/3t, 3a, 3f) at Challenge Cup.

* No Raya despite having the scores and the spot available. Stupid spanish fed.
Maybe Spain think they can get 3 spots for Olympics? If Fernandez is second at this year's World championships, then Raya would make it gone if he also competes there. I am not sure about this.

What would they need 3 spots for? They don't have a third male skater capable of reaching the minimum scores.

(( Raya ))

I was so happy when he finally made the second score he needed at a recent event but it turns out it as all in vain. :(

Maybe he's injured though?

* Of all the not yet qualified skaters only Parkinson has a slight chance to get it.

He's just failed to get his SP score at the Challenge Cup where he bombed again (two falls and a step out).

* Francesca Rio instead of Roberta Rodeghiero despite the later having reached the scores while the former hasnt.

Bressanuti or Rodeghiero will go given Rio failed to reach the minimum score at the Challenge Cup. She's been skating poor free programs all season.

* Meite was chosen instead of Gilleron-Gorry. yay

I wonder what the criteria was.

Meite just scored two strong programs at the Challenge Cup to place 2nd.

* Gjersem and Van Daele are going for the LP score today at Challenge Cup. Afonkina may get it at Jr. Worlds. All the others not qualified are hopeless IMO.

Gjersem and Van Daele got it and the latter couldn't have been any closer. She got exactly 46 points!

Given Afonkina is < pretty much all of her jumps, he chances are very slim.

* Pang/Tong and Sui/Han listed, doubt they will actually appear. They din't incluide Wang/Zhang as substitutes which is stupid. This could cause CHN getting only one spot for Sochi.

Again Chinese Federation being ridiculous. I also think P/T and S/H will withdraw. Why not give other teams a chance?

* I so want Lavrentieva/Rudyk to get the scores at Jr. worlds

They just need one, don't they?

*Weaver & Poje are back, YAY.

Not sure they're actually gonna compete but we shall see.

Given Zvorigina/Bernadowski failed to make the FD at Euros (although it couldn't have been any closer :/), I am glad that Plutowska/Gerber are being given the chance now. Given they train with Shpilband, I'm expecting a lot of improvement. :)

LEONOVA is going, after such a bad season? I love her energy and whole-hearted performance, but her jumps been really questionable.

She won the Russian Cup final (where her performances had no energy whatsoever btw :p).

Since they cut out prelims, imagine if all remaining skaters make the TES by Worlds... audiences are gonna have to sit through 40 short programs? Wow.

When I see a figure skating fan posting things like this on a figure skating forum - out of all places - I want to weep.

I'd happily sit through 96 short programs if there were enough countries where figure skating is a competitive sport. There's nothing I would like to see more than the stupid, development hindering minimum scores being scrapped.

Also: http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2010/SEG003.HTM

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
What would they need 3 spots for? They don't have a third male skater capable of reaching the minimum scores.

I wonder if it's necessary to have a minimum score for olympics? It's not an ISU competition.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I wonder if it's necessary to have a minimum score for olympics? It's not an ISU competition.

Yes, the Sochi Olympics will have Minimum Total Technical Scores.

" ... to be entered into and participate in the individual events (Ladies, Men, Pair Skating, Ice Dance) of the Olympic Winter Games, a Skater/Couple must have reached on or before the final entry deadline (January 27, 2014) in an ISU Championships or ISU recognized International Competition ... during the ongoing or immediately preceding season the applicable Minimum Total Technical Score (points) established for the ISU Championships .... The applicable Minimum Total Technical Scores shall be decided by the ISU Council and shall be published in an ISU Communication at the beginning of the Olympic season 2013/14."
Source:
2014 Olympic Winter Games (OWG) - Sochi - Qualification System for Figure Skating and the Rules for the Figure Skating Team Event
(page 3)
http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=4263

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
OK, thanks. Tough for skaters, but I suppose they want Figure Skating to be high quality events. It's no big deal to let a cross country skier with none technique participate. He will not be on TV much and if so, like the swimmer, as a charming example of the olympic spirit :laugh: A skater falling all over is not that cool.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I am pretty sure P/T will be competing, even with unrecovered injuries, as long as competing at Worlds does not worsen the injuries. Even without the single jumps, they will still score much higher than any other Chinese team. So having one team as substitute is reasonable. Z/W are simply too far away to be top contenders: from the FCC performances, it looks like they have not learned how to do singles yet.

He already had the SP score and just made the LP today so he's good to go. Justus Strid qualified too.

Thanks for correcting me on that. Awesome news! :)

Z/W are simply too far away to be top contenders: from the FCC performances, it looks like they have not learned how to do singles yet.

If you only sent people to Worlds if they could be a top contender, we'd have something like 6 skaters/teams entered. Also, recall how Pang/Tong looked in their first Worlds performances.

Last edited:

hybfc

Rinkside
Chinese Federation officials are doing a great job hurting their own skaters over and over and over again.

Yan Han would most likely easily place top 10. Song Nan most likely won't.

Again Chinese Federation being ridiculous. I also think P/T and S/H will withdraw. Why not give other teams a chance?

Don't you think song is going to be hurt if they send yan? After all, he is the one who won nationals. And song is definitely capable of earning 2 spots for china even though yan looks like the better bet now. Yan withdrawing junior worlds shows chinese fed does consider sending him. That still may happen.

It is ridiculous to give other teams a chance now. Who can possibly earn 3 spots for china except them?

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Romain Ponsart posted this on his Facebook account:
"Grosse déception, je viens d'apprendre mon forfait au championnat du monde, sans justification de la part de la fédération... En attente de réponses.... je n'ai pas de mots.... :'("

Google translate: Big disappointment, I just learned my withdrawal in the world championship without justification from the federation ... Waiting for answers .... I have no words .... : '(

French fed classy as always..