Male Clothing Options for Testing? | Golden Skate

Male Clothing Options for Testing?

tietzd83

Rinkside
I am looking to take my first offical USFS test in May. I will be testing the first two prelim dances and have begun my search for clothing. I am having trouble finding options online. Anyone have any advice???

I am looking at purchasing a pair of Chloe Noel male skating pants. Anyone have any experience with them?

SkateNater

Match Penalty
Both Mondor and Chloe Noel are good, albeit a bit expensive...

When you purchase, allow for a little shrinkage.

Be careful with the Velcro stirups. They will make you learn how to sew quickly, otherwise :p

Wear Under-Armor and comparable spandex-like tights under them (full legs, not shorts). Judges don't really want to see a VPL.

Last edited:

tietzd83

Rinkside
Thanks!!

Two more question :)

Would I need to adjust my measurements for ordering, especially when it comes to the inseam and the stirups?

Any suggestions for shirts/tops??

SkateNater

Match Penalty
They tend to come long, so the only measurement you really need to pay attention to is the waste size unless you're really tall. You can get them altered and the seamstress can remove and reposition the stir ups after the legs are shortened.

For tops I tend to wear a thin muscle tee that I tuck in and a long sleet stretch semi-turtle neck top. Really nothing special, especially for practice. You can get that at Wal-Mart. Prefer black. Hides sweat better than other colors :)

If it's chilly I can put a T-shirt over that. If it's really frigid (early sessions with below freezing temperatures outside) I put a light jacket over it all and it's never seemed to bother me.

If you skate a lot you may want two sets (or more), or you'll be doing laundry a lot.

For Socks I use Danskin, but I'm looking for better options at the moment.

Cheap Wal-Mart gloves on my hands, beanie/knit cap on my head.

Used to have some Ice Light Boot Gloves, but those seemed to have disappeared at the rink along, for when it was cold and I needed to insulate my feet a little more..

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
The most important thing to remember for tests is to wear something clean and tidy that doesn't hide your lines. After that it's up to the skater and what they feel comfortable in. Most of the guys I skate with wear basic black skating pants and a black t-shirt or turtleneck for testing, periodically a white dress shirt for dances. Basically as long as you're comfortable and presentable you're good to go, especially at the test level.

mskater93

Record Breaker
And judges will want you comfortable, expecially at the lower levels, so gloves are acceptable for the test along with a light jacket (Modor or fleece), especially if it's cold.

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
Be sure to try on the pants; they are cut in a way that does not fit all men. My guy cannot wear MOndor, as it's too tight in the butt and way too baggy in the front (he has an extreme case of skater's backside).

I second the black turtleneck, but, please avoid ones that are sports-logoed: having UnderArmour or Nike's Swoosh doesn't look professional and tidy. If you want to get dressier without spending a great deal, look for a fitted dress shirt with some "spandex" in the material that has long tails. You can then tuck the tails into your undergarments (seconding the need for compression or some such other undergarment :) ) and it stays neat and tailored, without spending a lot of money; and you can even wear the shirt in your real life if you wish.

If you're doing a jacket, get a tailored one - baggy jackets prevent seeing lines.

tietzd83

Rinkside
Thanks... for the first time in my life, I'm glad I have no butt!! I did pick up a pair of Mondor pants and was lucky enough to have someone to tailor them for me. I also picked up a Chloe Noel fleece jacket, and a pair of Mondor footed tights to wear underneath. I love the turtleneck idea and actually still have some from college that are in good shape. I will try them on and see if they will still fit. Speaking of tights (in general) what is the benefit of wearing over the skate tights?

When it comes to the jacket, is it more popular to go with or without one? I know I am testing at a very basic level, but feel I may as well be experimenting now.

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
Guys generally don't wear skating tights. It's whatever socks you are comfortable in, my guy uses basic white athletic socks, others go barefoot or whatever works. You wouldn't see a guy wearing over-the-boot tights ... women wear them to make the leg look longer (elongated) when they wear them with a skirt.

I can see tights being a handy keep warm thing, though - my guy wears UnderArmour Frosty Tights when it's cold.

Jackets are generally okay if the rink is cold. Not sure what the norm is in your area, but, in ours, a gentleman would not wear a jacket to test a dance or a freeskate program. Yes, for "moves" tests (we call them Skills in Canada) or the elements portion of a freeskate test. A jacket does have to be fitted, if you're in a Chloe one that fits properly, you should be fine.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Girls/Ladies also wear OTB tights to hold their laces in or hide beat up boots. :)

Guys do NOT wear OTB tights unless they are doing some kind of program dressed as a lady (I've seen Mrs. Doubtfire, a Swan Lake program, the Swiss Miss, and Tinkerbell all done by fine upstanding men skaters).

If you are in the Midwest (I believe you are), wearing a fitted/nice/club jacket and gloves on a test session for Moves, FS, or dance is acceptable in a cold rink. It is less acceptable on a FS test (program) or dance test than moves for warmer rinks, especially at higher levels

backspin

On the Ice
Re. the jacket--check w/ your coach. Generally speaking I allow jackets for moves, but not for dance or FS. And the jacket would need to be fitted, as others have said. And preferably black, though realistically that's just me. :)