Kristi Yamaguchi / Rudy Galindo pair redux, circa 2013? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kristi Yamaguchi / Rudy Galindo pair redux, circa 2013?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Kristi's younger daughter Emma began skating last year. Her coach is ... Rudy Galindo.

Here they are (coach and pupil) at the opening ceremonies of U.S. Nationals last year.

http://mercphotos.slideshowpro.com/...012.sJPG_900_540_0_95_1_50_50.sJPG?1362188284

I see Rudi isn't neglecting her hand positions. Middle finger depressed, forefinger and pinky elevated, like a proper ballerina. :)

Thank you for the other pics, Mathman, and especially for this delightful one. :love:

It would be a lovely photo no matter who the coach and pupil happened to be -- and it's very sweet icing on the cake that he is a national champion and she is the daughter of his former partner, who is an Olympic champion.

Yup, she's been back living in the Bay Area for years.

sandi, I see that you live in San Jose. I posted the recent Yamaguchi/Galindo pair pose because I am not-so-secretly hoping that they are practicing for a special appearance at a show. Absolutely wild speculation on my part, but please let us know if you hear anything ... ;)
Although I am not one of the mods, I also will take this opportunity to give you an unofficial welcome to GS. :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It's especially sweet now that they are both HoF members...I could conceive of a show starring HoF members that they would perform in :)

meem

On the Ice
Loved seeing the photo of Kristi and Rudy on ice - they were one of my favorite pairs teams. It always amazed me that both of them competed in singles as well as pairs at each competition (until KY decided to drop pairs). It would be wonderful to see them skate together again (normally I avoid the "shows" but I'd certainly tune in to see these two performing a pairs routine).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It's especially sweet now that they are both HoF members...I could conceive of a show starring HoF members that they would perform in :)

And Disson will be producing that "Superstars of Skating" show this summer, so you never know ... ;)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Seriously I was saddened for Rudi when Kristi decided on singles but so thrilled he had his moment winning US nationals and a world bronze medal. Kristi has always been so nice and generous. She has done so well for herself professionally and personally I am sure deep down while she has not done anything wrong she is also trying to be supportive to Rudi who hasn't had it as easy as her for many reasons. She is a very blessed and talented person - great image, great skater, Oly and world golds, awesome family, great husband who happens to be equally famous and even richer through his talent - she doesn't take things or people for granted. Bravo. Good for Rudi - it would be fun to see them skate pairs in some fun event. I think they might be a little long in the tooth though to seriously compete - single jumps I could see but the lifts and twists I don't think so. But still one can dream:)

heyang

Record Breaker
Seriously I was saddened for Rudi when Kristi decided on singles but so thrilled he had his moment winning US nationals and a world bronze medal. Kristi has always been so nice and generous. She has done so well for herself professionally and personally I am sure deep down while she has not done anything wrong she is also trying to be supportive to Rudi who hasn't had it as easy as her for many reasons. She is a very blessed and talented person - great image, great skater, Oly and world golds, awesome family, great husband who happens to be equally famous and even richer through his talent - she doesn't take things or people for granted. Bravo. Good for Rudi - it would be fun to see them skate pairs in some fun event. I think they might be a little long in the tooth though to seriously compete - single jumps I could see but the lifts and twists I don't think so. But still one can dream:)

I read once that Kristi left a pair of tickets for SOI at the will call window for Rudy whenever the show was in his area. I don't know if he ever used them. I believe it was initially rough on Rudy when Kristi quit pairs, but he eventually realized that it was the best for both of them.

I agree that they probably aren't competitive as pairs, but I would suspect that with some practice, they are definitely capable of doing a simple pairs routine. Kristi was utilized in pairs routines during her stint with SOI - i recall her skating with Dennis Petrov. I know, that was a long time ago, too. Just saying a few basic pairs moves are extremely likely - although probably avoiding the over head lifts. They could certainly do a basic throw jump, simple carry moves and side by side elements.

meem

On the Ice
I agree that they probably aren't competitive as pairs, but I would suspect that with some practice, they are definitely capable of doing a simple pairs routine. Kristi was utilized in pairs routines during her stint with SOI - i recall her skating with Dennis Petrov. I know, that was a long time ago, too. Just saying a few basic pairs moves are extremely likely - although probably avoiding the over head lifts. They could certainly do a basic throw jump, simple carry moves and side by side elements.

And I bet a gorgeous Ina Bauer across the rink would get a big applause. Since figure skating fans/admirers so rarely see this in pairs it would be a fun treat.

Can people inducted into the H.O.F compete again?

Yes! Torvill and Dean retired from competition after the 1984 Olympics, were elected to the World Figure Skating Hall of Fame in 1989, and reinstated in 1994, winning Europeans and finishing third at the Olympics. :)

I read once that Kristi left a pair of tickets for SOI at the will call window for Rudy whenever the show was in his area. I don't know if he ever used them. I believe it was initially rough on Rudy when Kristi quit pairs, but he eventually realized that it was the best for both of them.

It must have been a tough choice for Kristi, but she couldn't have kept going doing both singles and pairs, and she had more potential in singles. There was no way that at that time an American pair of their level would have made it to gold over Russian pairs (or they might still have been Soviet). As a singles skater, Kristi had a fine chance to make it to the Olympic podium. (Which, as it turns out, is an understatement.) But even more than that, Kristi's coach, Christy Ness, had moved to Canada. The kind of commute Kristi would have had to make to train with both her singles coach and her pairs coach would have been inhuman. I'm glad they've been able to make their peace with what happened and renew their friendship.

heyang

Record Breaker
It must have been a tough choice for Kristi, but she couldn't have kept going doing both singles and pairs, and she had more potential in singles. There was no way that at that time an American pair of their level would have made it to gold over Russian pairs (or they might still have been Soviet). As a singles skater, Kristi had a fine chance to make it to the Olympic podium. (Which, as it turns out, is an understatement.) But even more than that, Kristi's coach, Christy Ness, had moved to Canada. The kind of commute Kristi would have had to make to train with both her singles coach and her pairs coach would have been inhuman. I'm glad they've been able to make their peace with what happened and renew their friendship.

I also think I read in Rudy's bio that his own behavior may have contributed towards Kristi's decision as well. if I ever find the time and remember, I'll have to go back and review that section of the book. I can't remember if Rudy's coach died just before the split or after.