Weaver/Poje article in Dance International magazine (Mar 2) | Golden Skate

Weaver/Poje article in Dance International magazine (Mar 2)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I always find it interesting to read articles where people from the world of dance discuss ice dance. This was another great article. I'm just hoping Kaitlyn & Andrew are in good shape for Worlds!

Despite the praise from the dance world, Weaver and Poje's free dance didn't fare well with the judges. The duo finished third at both Skate America and Cup of China and failed to qualify for the Grand Prix Final for the first time in three years. They had to make tough decisions -- do they scrap the programme or re-envision it? They chose the latter and called upon Bourne to help them revise the choreography. She amped up the emotional impact of the programme while also strengthening some technical aspects.

"What they've done now with the programme is I think they will tap into people's emotions more by keeping that storyline all the way from beginning to end," says Bourne. "What happens when she's no longer a statue? What's happening between them, in their relationship? So that we enter their world.

I want to see what changes Shae Lynn has made to their statues program :)

For those who don't remember, Lois Elfman is the writer who does pieces occasionally for icenetwork, tapping different people from the dance world to critique ice dance programs. This year, she did two pieces for IN with dancer Henry Bialykov from DWTS, discussing in part 1, the US Nationals FD of Davis & White and the Europeans FD of Bobrova & Soloviev
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130211&content_id=41527826&vkey=ice_news

In Part II, Elfman & Bialykov contrast the Carmens from the Canadian Nationals performance of Virtue & Moir and the Europeans FD of Capellini & Lanotte
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130211&content_id=41530112&vkey=ice_news

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Weaver/Poje media call (Mar 5 tweets from ‏@LynnRutherford)

Weaver/Poje media call (Mar 5 tweets from ‏@LynnRutherford)

- On teleconference with reporters today, Weaver & Poje estimate they have redone 90% of their free dance.

- Changes to free dance were in response to judge's comments, to increase element levels & to improve connection on ice.

- Weaver & Poje will also sport new costumes for both programs, in worlds in London.

- @613fan Said they were not at same level of training as for past world championships due to lack of time, yet are still in competitive mode.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If they changed a significant part of the music & the costumes, that will help. I saw this dance at Skate America and was sadly, severely underwhelmed, as were the judges.

One thing that is easy to fix is the pair spin, however. The length of time alloted for it made it almost impossible to get in enough revolutins for level 4, and hence it didn't earn level 4 in either of their outings on the GP. Since almost every team manages level 4 in the spin, that's a real disadvantage.

However, getting a high level in the steps in more about conditioning, skill & practice than choreographic touches. I have less hopes that they will get level 4 on those elements, just because they have had a relatively short time to train.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I'm especially worried about the Polka KP: they need levels 3/4 if they want to be in the last FD group, and (as we've seen) to execute those KP cleanily you have to train a lot, I don't know if one month is enough to prepair well...

What a great article. And it was lovely to see the link to the Virtue/Moir article of a few years ago. I remember coming upon that article in the magazine rack of a bookstore a few years ago, and then Doris and I found it online. Tessa is en pointe in the photo: very impressive.

It's great that the current article quotes ballet dancer Sonia Rodriguez, Mrs. Kurt Browning.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
So great that they're going to be at Worlds'. No expectations for how they're going to do. Just getting back on the ice is a miracle for me. I plan to stand and ovate!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It doesn't sound great for W and P for world's as to their levels, preparedness but I wish and hope the best. They had a chance at bronze now it sounds like they will be happy with bottom of top ten? Are we assuming chock and bates,the shibs, I and K, C and L and B and S will all past them?

FSGMT

Record Breaker
It doesn't sound great for W and P for world's as to their levels, preparedness but I wish and hope the best. They had a chance at bronze now it sounds like they will be happy with bottom of top ten? Are we assuming chock and bates,the shibs, I and K, C and L and B and S will all past them?
I/K, C/L and B/S probably yes... C/B maybe (it depends on the SD), the shibs probably no

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
So great that they're going to be at Worlds'. No expectations for how they're going to do. Just getting back on the ice is a miracle for me. I plan to stand and ovate!

Clap extra loud for the rest of us who really, really like them :love: :clap:

Chock / Bates have consistently done a great job with the SD-the FD, not as much, but it's improving. Alex Shibutani still seemed to be fighting the back injury he had back on the GP at 4CCs...I hope he's really better now.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Chock / Bates have consistently done a great job with the SD-the FD, not as much, but it's improving. Alex Shibutani still seemed to be fighting the back injury he had back on the GP at 4CCs...I hope he's really better now.

I think it will be interesting to see where W/P will place -- it will not be easy to debut a practically new FD at Worlds when everyone else has had a chance to refine theirs. I think the Shibs will do fine. Where they will place, I don't know, but I think they can certainly move up from their 8th place finish from last year.

Scrufflet

Final Flight

I shall! (applaud extra loud)

You'll be cheering on behalf of many of your GS friends who can't be there.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
You'll be cheering on behalf of many of your GS friends who can't be there.

You bet! I wish so many more here could go. I've often had the fantasy that if I won a lottery (I don't play so unlikely) I would splurge by getting a group of GS and FSUers and pay for the whole shot for a big skating event. Tickets, deluxe accommodation, fabulous food. Only requirement? Be prepared to have fun and enjoy the company! If we can have oval passports, why not this?

That would be fun. We have to design a flag first, of course. (Hmmm. Should the flag be oval, too? Or maybe this is what could be hexagonal. Not an octagon; it will look like a stop sign.) A red maple leaf on a field of stars? That takes in Canada, the U.S., Australia, and heaps of other countries that have stars on their flags. Some of which, like Burundi, have not yet applied for membership in the ISU. It's only a matter of time. Skating as an international unifying force!

ice coverage

Record Breaker

If we can have oval passports, why not this?

... We have to design a flag first, of course. (Hmmm. Should the flag be oval, too? Or maybe this is what could be hexagonal. Not an octagon; it will look like a stop sign.)

Scrufflet, I hope that you and other lucky attendees have a great time at Worlds. Happy "ovating"! Best to Weaver/Poje and all the competitors.

Don't know how the fanciful allusions to geometry originated (??? ovation ==> ovate ==> oval ??? was that the evolution?), but here is a quirky fun fact:
In December, Russia issued rectangular coins as Sochi 2014 collectibles. (Can't remember whether I made note somewhere on GS at the time.)
http://www.cbr.ru/eng/bank-notes_co...rent_year_coins/print.asp?file=121217_eng.htm

One of the coin images from the link above:
5216-0089R.gif

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Scrufflet, I hope that you and other lucky attendees have a great time at Worlds. Happy "ovating"! Best to Weaver/Poje and all the competitors.

Don't know how the fanciful allusions to geometry originated (??? ovation ==> ovate ==> oval ??? was that the evolution?), but here is a quirky fun fact:
In December, Russia issued rectangular coins as Sochi 2014 collectibles. (Can't remember whether I made note somewhere on GS at the time.)
http://www.cbr.ru/eng/bank-notes_co...rent_year_coins/print.asp?file=121217_eng.htm

One of the coin images from the link above:
5216-0089R.gif

So glad I didn't have clumsy thumbsies and say that I'd be ovulating!