Who surprised you this season? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Who surprised you this season?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
dorispulaski, I like Jason's exhibition, I think it's fun and his hip hop is more on point than most. MC Hammer is indisputably lame, though. That's why it could be used in fun/ironic/nostalgic/ironic nostalgia (after all, these junior skaters are too young to be nostalgic for Hammer Time) ways.

TLC's Waterfalls actually has a great rap section from Lisa "Left Eye" Lopez. That could've been the perfect hip hop song for a junior ice dancing team. The song had massive mainstream popularity, so that even those old, dusty skating judges should know it and be comfortable with it.

You mean this part: www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSXP8jQZWT4#t=03m09s

I loveee TLC -- CrazySexyCool was one of my favorite albums. The early 1990s was absolute gold in all genres, hip-hop, alternative. Etc.....I do miss the 90s!

ETA: I also think their song "No Scrubs" would make for a fun SD. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKV8uSX2nEQ

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I was quite hoping for some TLC in juniors :cry:

No such luck. Roisin Murphy all over the place. (OK, but...)

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I think that Denis Ten is at the moment in first place in my list! 91 SP after a no-podium season is really something incredible!!

gimble

On the Ice
I think that Denis Ten is at the moment in first place in my list! 91 SP after a no-podium season is really something incredible!!

I echo your post. Especially after tonight's performance. I was so afraid and nervous that he was going to melt down again. What a performance. I hope he gets a medal in Sochi next year.

Who surprised me this season? The World judges. Cripes, what an outcome. My head is spinning. My heart is twirling.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
D10!!!! The REAL World Champion :love:

And Brian Joubert, the REAL World Bronze Medalist :p ! Old guy has still got it after all these years and all the speedbumps! ((sorry Javi I love you and COP-skater Joubidoo is not but his marks in the FS were just atrocious :disapp: and I really think he deserved to be on that podium!))

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
D10!!!! The REAL World Champion :love:

And Brian Joubert, the REAL World Bronze Medalist :p ! Old guy has still got it after all these years and all the speedbumps! ((sorry Javi I love you and COP-skater Joubidoo is not but his marks in the FS were just atrocious :disapp: and I really think he deserved to be on that podium!))

I thought Joubert deserved the bronze as well. And Denis Ten was a huge surprise for me.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
ditto, Denis10 was a real surprise in a good way
he didn't headcase and first medal for Kazakhstan

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Definitely surprised by #denistenREAL2013worldchampion

noskates

Record Breaker
Count me in with Denis Ten as well. I loved his LP and he is definitely quite the showman. Interesting that Stephane Lambiel choreographed his short and assisted in his long. Good job Stephane!!!

vera01

Final Flight
D10! He had amazing SP/FS! He was definitely the best skater at this Worlds(for men).

silverlake22

Record Breaker
The thing about Denis is, I always thought he was exceptionally talented. And people said that he really could be World Medalist quality, and I could see the potential, but he just kept melting down and I thought, he doesn't have the competitive mindset to do it, so much talent but pushed too hard too fast, a headcase for the books before he even reaches his 20s but then he goes and does this, it's just amazing! Perhaps it was a once in a lifetime occurrence for him, but so what, it was still amazing, and alternatively if he does keep it up, he really could challenge for a medal/win at the Olympics next season and in 2018, which would be HUGE for Kazakstan. So nice to see skaters from countries other than the usual suspects do well at Worlds.

ffionhanathomas

On the Ice
Denis Ten, Coomes & Buckland, and Papadakis & Cizeron!

EDIT: Ooh and Liza Tuktamysheva! Coped with growth/puberty really well and she's a fierce competitor. One to watch for the future certainly.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
LOL Joubert did not deserve the bronze. Fernandez at this point is superior to him in every aspect of skating basically, in addition to being a more COP smart skater. He did make a ton of mistakes at this event, but still not enough to lose to Brian. The judges would have had to pull some crazy marks out of their behinds to give Joubert the bronze somehow. Sentimentality should not overcome logic.

Anyway back on topic my biggest surprises were:

-The rise of Osmond. I thought she would take over as Canadas #1 this year but not be as much an international force as she was.
-The early season success of Wagner, though she has fizzled out a bit since.
-The return of Kim. Never thought we would see her back.
-Denis Ten. By far the biggest surprise of the year probably.
-Kevin Reynolds. His late season surge was as bit a shock as Ten at Worlds really.
-The resurgence of Moore-Towers & Moscovitch. I wasnt sure what their future held after last season.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Yu-Na!! I never thought she would pull out that perfect performance tonight after so much time off!! I was thinking she might not even make the podium, before the competition started.