Should ISU bring back CD/OD? | Golden Skate

Should ISU bring back CD/OD?

vera01

Final Flight
ISU replaced CD/OD with Short Dance, but I think there is something about CD/OD that Short Dance can't replace. Because of this, I think ISU should bring CD and OD back. What is your opinion?

glam

On the Ice
No because the CD's were boring and there were nobody in the audience. It doesn't interest people anymore.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If you've ever watched the CD's as they are done today in Novice competitions, allowing the couples to use their own music rather than the horrible ISU CD music, they are watchable, and it's certainly easier to compare the skills of the dancers than in any other way. I wish the ISU had made this change before they got rid of the CD's altogether.

I loved the OD's a lot. I miss them. Very few of the SD's have amused me in any way whatever, however this year's polkas are definitely more fun than last year's rhumbas for me.

Ravensque

On the Ice
I, too, liked the CD's. They give the opportunity to compare apples to apples, and the costumes (shallow, I know) were terrific. I particularly remember Barbara Fusa-Poli's costume at 2001 Worlds although I was not a fan of that team. It was great to see the difference in the pattern coverage, speed, lines, finesse, etc. I wish the ISU would restore them, but I guess that's quite unlikely :(

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It was a very good tango romantica, and the best at Olympics 2010, but Domshabs were nowhere in the league of Usova/Zhulin, Grishuk/Platov, Klimova/Ponamarenko, Pakhomova & Gorshkov, or Torville & Dean.

Also, if the CD is brought back, it would be in the IJS version of the Novice CD's, with the key points, which so far has not favored any country, but it looks like Shpilband's camp is as smart any about how to get them.

(Shpilband + Klimova)

SamuraiKike

Medalist
CDs are not going back. Deal with it. However ISU needs more new and more modern patterns for the SD or soon it will be stuck in the same monotonous hole the CDs where that scared the audiences away.

Skatie

On the Ice
I like the Short Dance and how it incorporates the pattern dances. I think the biggest frustration for competitors, coaches and spectators from Novice right up to Senior is how the pattern dance key points are called. If the Callers are all trained the same way early in season and be really clear on what they are looking for and judge that way consistently, then it would be a huge help.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It would. I could do a more consistent job of calling pattern dances by throwing dice :rolleye: than has been shown this year.

figuristka

Medalist
Miss CD and OD. I would have loved to see the CD remain with Juniors and Seniors , but with own music.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I read an interview with V/M last year, where Tessa said that, in her opinion, Seniors should do only OD and FD, and Junior and Novice the CD, too... I disagree, but I miss the ODs so much!! The were really pieces of art, even more than the FD! And, watching the CD, allows to compare directly the skaters' technical skills and I think that this is a very good thing...

vera01

Final Flight
I read an interview with V/M last year, where Tessa said that, in her opinion, Seniors should do only OD and FD, and Junior and Novice the CD, too... I disagree, but I miss the ODs so much!! The were really pieces of art, even more than the FD! And, watching the CD, allows to compare directly the skaters' technical skills and I think that this is a very good thing...

Tessa said that? If CD still existed for seniors, I think it would be V/M who'd have all the advantage over other dancers. I knew Scott wasn't happy that ISU decided to discontinue CD, but Tessa seems to have a different opinion:)

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Tessa said that? If CD still existed for seniors, I think it would be V/M who'd have all the advantage over other dancers. I knew Scott wasn't happy that ISU decided to discontinue CD, but Tessa seems to have a different opinion:)
Yes, the interview was on ArtOnIce, so it was in Italina, they took it right after TEB 2011, I don't know if there was an English version, too...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
.... I knew Scott wasn't happy that ISU decided to discontinue CD, but Tessa seems to have a different opinion:)

??? Strongly disagree. My recollection is that Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir each looked forward with equal happiness to leaving the CD requirement behind them. According to what I remember, they shared the belief that all the training time and effort devoted to CDs would be much better spent on raising the artistic quality and technical content of ODs and FDs.
(These comments came before the announcement that both the CD and OD would be replaced by the new SD format that includes pattern dances.)

ETA:

OTOH, it is true that Moir seemed to have a bit of nostalgia for CDs in this 2012 Q and A.​

IDC: If given a choice, which compulsory pattern would you most prefer to construct a short dance around?

Scott: To be completely honest, my choice would be to remove set pattern dances all together. It is difficult to judge and the new system has changed set pattern dances so much that we are getting away from all of the aspects that made compulsory dances special.
If there was a way to somehow go back to rewarding the qualities that used to be praised when we competed just compulsories, I would pick one of the more complicated dances. I enjoy the intricate dances that are very demanding – when the couple must stay close in position while being very accurate with their feet. The Tango Romantica and Golden Waltz are great examples of set pattern dances I prefer.
​

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
If you've ever watched the CD's as they are done today in Novice competitions, allowing the couples to use their own music rather than the horrible ISU CD music, they are watchable, and it's certainly easier to compare the skills of the dancers than in any other way. I wish the ISU had made this change before they got rid of the CD's altogether.

I hated the Compulsory Dances. The only good thing about them was that it meant you could do a direct comparison between couples.

It was so boring sitting watching the same routines with the same music over and over and over again. And most of the time the music was awful! And it was stuck in your head for days afterwards, whether you liked the music or not!

To be honest, I have never been a fan of “normal” dancing (i.e. not on ice). This, and the fact that the compulsory dances were so boring, led me to start to deliberately avoid watching the CD. Soon, this would extend to ice dancing as a whole. It was only in what turned out to be the final couple of years of the CD and OD that I started watching ice dancing again.

The other thing I didn’t like about the CD was that I thought it wasn't fair that the Dancers had to do 3 routines when the Pairs and Singles skaters only had to do 2.

So, when I heard the Compulsory Dances were being scrapped, I was delighted.

Now, though, I am not so sure. Especially after hearing Doris' description of how they do CD's in Novice Competitions. I've never seen it in action, but being able to use different music sounds like it would make the CD a lot more interesting, and much more enjoyable to watch.

And, with all the strange judging decisions we have been seeing the past few seasons, perhaps it would be a good thing to have something where we can compare apples-with-apples, as Ravensque so eloquently put it. ;) :biggrin:

That way, there would be less arguing about whether the result was the right result, and debating about how the judges reached that result. We would know immediately how a particular score was reached.

So, perhaps there is a case for bringing in (for want of a better phrase) a “Novice-style” Compulsory Dance.

I loved the OD's a lot. I miss them. Very few of the SD's have amused me in any way whatever, however this year's polkas are definitely more fun than last year's rhumbas for me.

Hey, while we’re at it, we could even revive the Original Dance, which I too enjoyed. True, it would mean that the Dancers were again doing more routines than the Pairs and Singles skaters, but they coped with it before… ;)

CaroLiza_fan