• Ashley Wagner (USA)

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • Gracie Gold (USA)

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aero

On the Ice
Mao has been far worse at Worlds than at 4CC the last 2 years but each time there were reasons behind it. In 2011 it was the earthquake that broke her focus, then in 2012 as far as I can tell it was from her mother's death affecting her mindset. She insisted on trying the 3A before it was ready and tired herself out practicing it (she went for it 40 something times in practice and didn't land it once).

Carolina seems far better at holding herself together these days; adding her old content back gradually seems to have been the right choice. We haven't seen anything like 2009 worlds or 2010 Olympics from her in ages.

I want to see how Mao fairs this time, because she doesn't have anything to distract her at this Worlds. She'll be out to beat her rival and earn back her title.
I admit that Carolina has been more consistent lately, but she really didn't have anyone to challenge her. The title was hers to lose last year but this time she'll have to fight for it.

I really really hope that Viktoria Helgesson can place top 10 so that both sisters can go to Olympics.

Krislite

Medalist
Kinda funny that Ashley has almost as many votes as Carolina. :unsure: Really?!

I see Ashley struggling for top 5... But miracles can happen and she may just land on the podium.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I sort of agree but it would probably cost Russia and or the Us AND Canada lady and I think they deserve more chances to skate than the Hegelson's

If Viktoria is top ten I definitely think the Helgesson sisters deserve their olympic places. None has been to the olympics before. Viktoria must skate her very, very best to make it. It will be hard though. She had a better chance last season and almost made it. Would have been easier for her and Joshi to keep two places than for V winning them now I think.

I voted for Mao to win gold :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
If Viktoria is top ten I definitely think the Helgesson sisters deserve their olympic places. None has been to the olympics before. Viktoria must skate her very, very best to make it. It will be hard though. She had a better chance last season and almost made it. Would have been easier for her and Joshi to keep two places than for V winning them now I think.

I voted for Mao to win gold :)

I hope because someone has to lose that Heglegesson doesn't earn two spots so the US, Russia and Canada can earn more spots.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The results page is up, and LISA ERVIN is on the Ladies Technical panel. She is a known stickler, so we may see a wealth of URs and edge calls as we saw at Junior Worlds.

I sort of agree but it would probably cost Russia and or the Us AND Canada lady and I think they deserve more chances to skate than the Hegelson's

US doesn't deserve more chances than Sweden. Not with how inconsistent Gold has been all season.

USFS has made the mistake of sending her because she skated one good FS all season. If she skaters up to her full potential, she will place high. But if she bombs, Sweden would earn their two spots fair and square.

And personally I find both Helgessons far more interesting to watch than any other US skaters competing at present. Viktoria shows this classical elegance and femininity, whilst Joshi's programs are kooky and voidy.

The results page is up, and LISA ERVIN is on the Ladies Technical panel. She is a known stickler, so we may see a wealth of URs and edge calls as we saw at Junior Worlds.

That is great to hear and good news for Kim and Kostner. :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lisa ERVIN could dash the Helgessons hope for two Sochi places, as Viktoria has been dinged for URs in the past.

ForeverFish

Medalist
US doesn't deserve more chances than Sweden. Not with how inconsistent Gold has been all season.

IMO, Gracie Gold isn't the sole reason why the US doesn't deserve 3 spots. That's a big umbrella statement to make.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

It's also good news for Gold as she does not UR. She will definite get the (e) on that flip though. Smart of her team to switch to the 3Z-3T in the SP as that is clearly her money combo.

IMO, Gracie Gold isn't the sole reason why the US doesn't deserve 3 spots. That's a big umbrella statement to make.

I agree. I am taking a what happens, will happens stance. That said, Gold is no less consistent than her other competitors. I suppose one could argue for Gao to be sent over Gracie (which has been done ad nauseaum on these boards), as Gao has been decent all season long, but even then I wouldn't say that is a slam dunk choice either.

ForeverFish

Medalist
I agree. I am taking a what happens, will happens stance. That said, Gold is no less consistent than her other competitors. I suppose one could argue for Gao to be sent over Gracie (which has been done ad nauseaum on these boards), as Gao has been decent all season long, but even then I wouldn't say that is a slam dunk choice either.

Agree -- as another commenter put it, if the US fails to regain three spots, I won't assume that Christina Gao would have made the difference.

But then again, which country does have a slam-dunk choice in terms of ladies' skating? Of the big three -- the US, Japan, and Russia -- only Japan has a near-guarantee of three spots for next year. What America and Russia get depend on their skaters not falling apart during the competition, as we know Leonova, Sotnikova, Tukt, Gold, and Wagner have all done this season.