• Ashley Wagner (USA)

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • Gracie Gold (USA)

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ambivalent

On the Ice
I should like to think that the technical panel will equally scrutinized all skaters and not just Mao's jumps! :scowl:

IMO, the technical panel at 4CC was quite strict, so if Mao does as well as she did at 4CC + 3sal, she should win no matter how the other skaters do, unless either Yuna or Caro give a performance that is better than what they have ever achieved in their career.

Ifs and buts.

My podium: Mao, Carolina then Yuna.

Yuna hasn't skated in a super competitive competition as of late so I don't think she'll be in prime position to win here. She's clearly setting herself up for Sochi, in my opinion, and we all know that when she dials in she's the most mentally strong out of all the ladies right now. No one, and I mean no one skated to win gold like she did in Vancouver. Her mental strength is just unreal.

Unfortunately, this is not Vancouver and I am not in love with her programs (that might change, however).

vera01

Final Flight
Hmm. I don't think judges are being strict especially to Mao. If they're strict to Mao, then they're being strict to everyone.
As for her 4CC performance, I wouldn't have given her 4CC FS 2A+3T '<', as I think it was about fully rotated as her 4CC SP's 3A. However, I would've given '<' to her FS 3Lz instead-it was UR.

If Mao is clean at Worlds, does she deserve to win gold medal? Of course she does. If everyone's clean at Worlds, I would expect the podium to be in this order:Mao, Carolina, Yuna. I hope Yuna would be more adventurous, maybe bring back her 3Lo and go for 8 triples program, but unfortunately, she doesn't seem to be adventurous this time:(

Moment

Final Flight
Hmm. I don't think judges are being strict especially to Mao. If they're strict to Mao, then they're being strict to everyone.
As for her 4CC performance, I wouldn't have given her 4CC FS 2A+3T '<', as I think it was about fully rotated as her 4CC SP's 3A. However, I would've given '<' to her FS 3Lz instead-it was UR.

If Mao is clean at Worlds, does she deserve to win gold medal? Of course she does. If everyone's clean at Worlds, I would expect the podium to be in this order:Mao, Carolina, Yuna. I hope Yuna would be more adventurous, maybe bring back her 3Lo and go for 8 triples program, but unfortunately, she doesn't seem to be adventurous this time:(

Yuna needs to add another triple axel if she wants to go for 8 triples.

Ambivalent

On the Ice
Yuna's strategy has never been to have the highest content difficulty. Just execute all her elements to a very good standard to rack up the GOE points. It's worked for her thus far. I'd still like to see her bring back the loop though. There's no reason why she can't do one :)

Krislite

Medalist
Yuna's strategy has never been to have the highest content difficulty. Just execute all her elements to a very good standard to rack up the GOE points. It's worked for her thus far. I'd still like to see her bring back the loop though. There's no reason why she can't do one :)

Having a 3Lz+3T in both the SP and LP and doing a 2A+3T in the LP was pretty high difficulty in the last quad, and even now would only be surpassed by a clean 8-triple Mao.

Granted, many Russian juniors these days can pull off Yuna's SP and LP layout from the last quad, but it's doubtful most of them will maintain that through their transition to the senior ranks.

I don't see Yuna reintroducing the loop unless Mao has a perfect performance at Worlds.

MiRé

Match Penalty
I can agree that Mao can surpass Yuna, but how would Carolina surpass Yuna?
I hope people can see how Caro can be under pressure, just look at her LP at olympics 2010.
She is inconsistent thus I don't see Caro being on the podium. Maybe 5th or so.

hurrah

Medalist
I can agree that Mao can surpass Yuna, but how would Carolina surpass Yuna?
I hope people can see how Caro can be under pressure, just look at her LP at olympics 2010.
She is inconsistent thus I don't see Caro being on the podium. Maybe 5th or so.

If Yuna can reproduce her Nationals performance, I agree it is not likely for Caro to beat Yuna.

However, on the other hand, Yuna is not at the top of her form, and she has slightly less speed and transitions than before. Her jumps are also not as huge as they were before. When Carolina lands her jumps, she has more speed and her jumps are bigger. So in terms of GOE, Caro can get better GOEs compared to Yuna.

While Caro's BV is still below Yuna's, the difference is far less than before. If---and that's a big if---Caro can land all her planned content, and if---here's another big if---Caro can get better PCS than Yuna, the difference in BV would be nullified and since she could potentially get higher GOEs than Yuna, Caro could win over Yuna.

So a clean Caro basically needs higher PCS than clean Yuna to beat her. I guess that's the reason why many posters who are rooting for Caro are saying that she has the best program of the season, which I personally don't agree with. I don't love either Yuna or Caro's programs, but Yuna clearly skates to the music better. Plus, I object to those two stops in Caro's LP.

Big Deal

Final Flight
In the very unlikely case if everybody goes clean and great (we all do hope so it will happen) Yu-Na cannot loose this unless she has a same way hearthless performance than she did in 2011 World and especially the exhibition there.
Mao 2nd with a strong fight with Kostner, who has a very well choreographed programme with a great postures and lines all the way through.

CarneAsada

Medalist
In the very unlikely case if everybody goes clean and great (we all do hope so it will happen) Yu-Na cannot loose this unless she has a same way hearthless performance than she did in 2011 World and especially the exhibition there.
Mao 2nd with a strong fight with Kostner, who has a very well choreographed programme with a great postures and lines all the way through.

Yu-Na has by far the most dependable big tricks so I'm going with her winning. But I don't get why people think she should win if everyone goes clean. If that happens, (i.e. all jumps fully credited), Asada has a 10 point BV advantage and she should easily win. Or are we all being realistic and assuming that's never going to happen?

mary01

Final Flight
Yu-Na has by far the most dependable big tricks so I'm going with her winning. But I don't get why people think she should win if everyone goes clean. If that happens, (i.e. all jumps fully credited), Asada has a 10 point BV advantage and she should easily win. Or are we all being realistic and assuming that's never going to happen?

if the big tricks alone could guarantee a win, then Mao should have been the OGM today!

if everyone goes clean the order is going to be like this:

Asada
Kostner
Kim

now all this talk about the outcome and prediction makes me soo eager to see some practice clips or some news about the skaters.

vera01

Final Flight
But the problem is that not everyone's going to be clean at Worlds. Whoever that delivers the cleanest-looking program would win(as long as they're considered to be "top skaters"). At this point, everything is really unpredictable. I just hope everyone is judged fairly, and gets the score that they deserve:)

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
1 Yuna
2 Mao
3 Carolina

1 Mao
2 Yuna
3 Carolina

1 Carolina
2 Yuna
3 Mao

1 Yuna
2 Mao
3 Osmond

1 Carolina
2 Yuna
3 Osmond

1 Yuna
2 Carolina
3 Osmond

Ambivalent

On the Ice
if the big tricks alone could guarantee a win, then Mao should have been the OGM today!

if everyone goes clean the order is going to be like this:

Asada
Kostner
Kim

now all this talk about the outcome and prediction makes me soo eager to see some practice clips or some news about the skaters.

Comprehension is fundamental. Yu-Na has the most dependable big tricks.

At least be honest in saying that you don't like Yu-Na because she has been Mao's biggest rival throughout these years. It's unfortunate you feel this way.

mary01

Final Flight
Comprehension is fundamental. Yu-Na has the most dependable big tricks.

At least be honest in saying that you don't like Yu-Na because she has been Mao's biggest rival throughout these years. It's unfortunate you feel this way.

now seriously, do you need to twist everything i write, where and when have i ever said that i hate kim:rolleye:

Ambivalent

On the Ice
now seriously, do you need to twist everything i write, where and when have i ever said that i hate kim:rolleye:

I never said you hated Kim. I said that you do not have much affection for Kim because she has been Mao's greatest rival. Am I correct in saying that?

It is interesting to get into the psychology of a rabid fan who sees the world through such rose-tinted glasses.

And by the way, I'm predicting a 1. Mao 2. Kostner and 3. Kim podium. Yuna might not even finish on the podium.

mary01

Final Flight
I never said you hated Kim. I said that you do not have much affection for Kim because she has been Mao's greatest rival. Am I correct in saying that?

It is interesting to get into the psychology of a rabid fan who sees the world through such rose-tinted glasses.

And by the way, I'm predicting a 1. Mao 2. Kostner and 3. Kim podium. Yuna might not even finish on the podium.

well I think we all have our own preferences, when it comes to the skaters. what I weigh high in figure skating is not necessary what you are looking for in a skater. which is why I think our affection towards the skaters naturally differs.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If Yuna can reproduce her Nationals performance, I agree it is not likely for Caro to beat Yuna.

However, on the other hand, Yuna is not at the top of her form, and she has slightly less speed and transitions than before. Her jumps are also not as huge as they were before. When Carolina lands her jumps, she has more speed and her jumps are bigger. So in terms of GOE, Caro can get better GOEs compared to Yuna.

While Caro's BV is still below Yuna's, the difference is far less than before. If---and that's a big if---Caro can land all her planned content, and if---here's another big if---Caro can get better PCS than Yuna, the difference in BV would be nullified and since she could potentially get higher GOEs than Yuna, Caro could win over Yuna.

So a clean Caro basically needs higher PCS than clean Yuna to beat her. I guess that's the reason why many posters who are rooting for Caro are saying that she has the best program of the season, which I personally don't agree with. I don't love either Yuna or Caro's programs, but Yuna clearly skates to the music better. Plus, I object to those two stops in Caro's LP.

ROTFL at Caro getting more GOE points than a clean Yu Na. Yu Na is the queen of GOEs of the current era skaters. Kostner has also never had higher PCS than Kim in a competition both have been in together. If everyone skates clean the final order of finish will be Kim, Asada (clean for her would still have a couple < over the 2 programs, even if her planned BV is the highest), and Kostner. Since Kim is also the most likely to skate closest to clean as well as the one who would win hypothetically if all did or if all had the same number of mistakes I will pick her, but it wouldnt surprise me that much if Mao won.

senatormls

On the Ice
I'm going with Tukh. Why? Her performance at Europeans. Ok PES in her case is influenced by her age, like what we see now with Carolina, who has lovely programs full of maturity but lacking really strong technical elements. Tukh has charisma and the jumps and speed. Mao must complete her triple axels like in Vancouver to stand a chance. I haven't seen Yu-Na perform this season and I think it'll take more than just her name to reach the top. Ashley has no triple-triple combination and like with the quads for the guys, the ladies NEED this combo to reach the top.