Piers Morgan interviews Torvil & Dean, ITV 8/3/13 9pm | Golden Skate

Piers Morgan interviews Torvil & Dean, ITV 8/3/13 9pm

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
For those who can get ITV, Scottish TV or Ulster TV, Piers Morgan will be interviewing Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean tomorrow night:

Friday 8th March 2013
ITV/STV/UTV 21:00 – 22:00 GMT Piers Morgan’s Life Stories

Just in case you miss some of it, it will also be available an hour later on the equivalent timeshift channel

Friday 8th March 2013
ITV+1/STV+1/UTV+1 22:00 – 23:00 GMT Piers Morgan’s Life Stories

It will also be repeated on ITV next Tuesday:

Tuesday 12th March 2013
ITV 23:35 – 00:35 GMT Piers Morgan’s Life Stories
ITV+1 00:35 – 01:35 GMT Piers Morgan’s Life Stories

…on Scottish TV next Wednesday:

Wednesday 13th March 2013
STV 23:05 – 00:05 GMT Piers Morgan’s Life Stories
STV+1 00:05 – 01:05 GMT Piers Morgan’s Life Stories

…and on Ulster TV next Thursday:

Thursday 14th March 2013
UTV 00:00 – 01:00 GMT Piers Morgan’s Life Stories
UTV+1 01:00 – 02:00 GMT Piers Morgan’s Life Stories

Don’t ask why the repeats are all on at different times! It’s probably something to do with STV and UTV showing local programmes that the rest of the ITV network doesn’t bother with.

I am not sure if the catch-up services on the channel websites are available outside the UK. But just in case they are, here are the addresses:

https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/
http://player.stv.tv/
http://www.u.tv/utvplayer/

I have never liked Piers Morgan, so I haven’t watched many episodes of “Life Stories”. But, from the few that I have seen, he is as tough an interviewer as he ever was! So don’t expect him to go easy on them just because they are national treasures!

CaroLiza_fan

I hope that whoever watches will give the rest of us a recap. I'm jealous of the entire United Kingdom!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just wanted to remind everybody that "Life Stories" will be starting in a few minutes on ITV, Scottish TV and Ulster TV.

I hope that whoever watches will give the rest of us a recap. I'm jealous of the entire United Kingdom!

I will be recording it tonight, and watching it over the weekend (probably tomorrow).

Hopefully somebody who knows how to upload programmes recorded from the TV will put the video on YouTube. So, I'll keep an eye out and let you know.

Failing that, I know that there are websites out there that you can download subtitles for programmes from. So, if the video doesn't appear, hopefully the subtitles will, and I can copy them into a comment on here as a transcript of the interview.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Wahey!!! Some people have uploaded the whole interview to YouTube already!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Here are the links to the best quality version:

Part 1 (10m44s)
Part 2 (11m15s)
Part 3 (11m20s)
Part 4 (8m42s)

Meanwhile, somebody else has gone to the bother of recording the whole interview on their phone. It’s a bit shaky, but considering how long each part of the programme is, they did a really good job! This user is obviously a fan of Jayne and Chris, as they also have a lot of other videos of them.

Also, I didn’t realise it but Jayne and Chris were also on “This Morning” yesterday talking about the Piers Morgan interview. Somebody recorded it on their phone, and it can be viewed here.

I’ll still keep an eye out for a transcript of the interview.

Enjoy

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Thanks, CLFan! They look wonderful. I love how they finish each other's sentences.

They did look great, didn't they! I bet most of today's skaters are hoping that when they reach their 50's, they will look as fresh as Jayne and Chris do now! ;) :biggrin:

And, it is great to see that after all these years the chemistry is still there. :biggrin:

Here is my report on the programme. I have deliberately written it in such a way as to not give too much away to anybody who wants an idea of what it is about, but at the same time wants watch the programme without knowing exactly what Jayne and Chris said.

I watched the Torvill and Dean episode of “Life Stories” over the weekend, and I have to say it was not exactly what I was expecting.

The programme has changed a lot since I last watched it. For all his faults, Piers Morgan is very good at his job as a serious journalist and a very tough interviewer. “Life Stories” used to be like that, but it isn’t any more. That interview could easily have been on a light entertainment programme like “This Morning” instead.

Also, the programme was far too short. When “Life Stories” first started, there was the normal hour-long programme, but there was also an extended hour-and-a-half-long version. Torvill and Dean could easily have filled a longer programme. Like, they are famous for being successful skaters, but the programme barely scraped the surface of their skating career.

But, although it was short, it was very interesting nevertheless. I wasn’t born when they won the Olympics in 1984. So, although I knew it was a big thing, I didn’t realise it was quite THAT big! I really cannot imagine the whole country getting behind any of our modern-day athletes like that, or giving them such a massive celebration if they came home as champions.

I loved the insight into Chris’ childhood. That must have been terrible for him, and you couldn’t help but really feel for him. As Jayne said later on, it really did help explain his reaction to things that happened later in his life.

It was also very interesting when they were talking about Chris’ marriages, and his current relationship with Karen. But when they were talking about how Chris got together with Isabelle Duchesnay, I noticed that they made a point of not mentioning the name of the Swiss skater he was seeing around that time. I take it that she’s got her own family and all now and didn’t want to be brought into the spotlight again. But, it didn’t stop my brain going into overdrive trying to figure it out!!! (It’s maybe a good job I only really know skaters from the past decade!)

Although I found all the stuff about Chris interesting, I think they could have talked a bit more about Jayne. Like, the only thing about her that the interview focussed in on was her not being able to have children.

Not having children was undoubtedly a big aspect of Jayne’s life, which was very upsetting for her (and which made us viewers upset as well). But focussing in on only this made it look like this was the only aspect of her life that Jayne was willing to talk about. Whereas Chris had opened up about his childhood and his relationships, it looked as if Jayne was reluctant to open up about anything else.

Of course, this was probably just a case of the producers trying to fit as much juicy stuff into a 44 minute programme as possible, be it by editing down what had originally been filmed, or by carefully choosing which questions to ask before filming started. But, to the average viewer, it would have looked unbalanced.

And what is the obsession with “did they/didn’t they”?! Does it really matter?! Sure, to be in a competitive partnership (be it in Pairs or Dance), there has to be a certain amount of chemistry. Otherwise, there will be tension between the partners, which will inevitably spill out onto the rink at some stage. Although there are many reasons why so many partnerships split up, just plain not getting along has to be one of the main ones.

Elena Ilynikh and Nikita Katsalapov are the only current skating partners that I know are involved with each other. And, yes, it shows on the ice. Many commentators complain about skating partners not being convincing at putting across the impression of a couple in love. But with Elena and Nikita, there is never that problem. The chemistry between them is amazing, and you can see in the way they look at each other that they are deeply in love.

But, am I desperate to know if anybody else is involved with their skating partner? No. Frankly, it is nobody’s business but the skaters themselves! (And, possibly, their coach). Of course, if they have an argument or break up, that can have repercussions on the ice – in the worse case scenario it could spell the end of a potentially promising skating partnership. But, otherwise, we can all happily go along in total ignorance of whether anything is going on or not, without it affecting anybody!

One thing that did get to me a bit was the fact that practically the entire programme after the final set of ads was about “Dancing On Ice”. For those that live outside the UK and didn’t realise, “Life Stories” and “Dancing On Ice” are shown by the same channel (ITV). And Torvill and Dean’s episode of “Life Stories” just happened to be broadcast on the day before the final of “Dancing On Ice”!

That Torvill and Dean’s episode of “Life Stories” was broadcast on Friday had nothing to do with the World Figure Skating Championships being on held this week. It was a shameless attempt by ITV to promote the final of “Dancing On Ice”. And the final 9 minutes of the programme made that blindingly obvious.

Sure, “Dancing On Ice” played a big role in Jayne and Chris’ recent history. It got them back together after a decade apart; it got them back in the public eye; it led to the break-up of Chris’ 2nd marriage; and it led to the start of Chris’ relationship with Karen.

But, bearing in mind that Jayne and Chris started skating together 38 years ago, and “Dancing On Ice” has only been going for 8 of those years, I think devoting a whole section of the programme to it was a bit over the top.

As I have never watched “Dancing On Ice”, I am probably totally ignorant about its importance to the Torvill and Dean story. But, personally, I would have thought that talking about their highly-successful competitive skating career would have been more important than talking about a TV programme that they are involved in.

Overall, though, it was a really enjoyable and insightful programme. But, another half hour (or, even better, 3/4 of an hour ;) :biggrin: ) would have made all the difference.

So, that is my take on the programme. I hope you have enjoyed reading my report on it.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Afraid not.

But, what I've decided to do is to watch the interview again next week, and type it out as it goes along. It will be a big undertaking, but it'll be worth it! ;)

A handy little project which will provoke thoughts of the "good old days" before I got into skating, and at the same time help me avoid getting withdrawal symptoms while the modern-day figure skaters are having their off-season! :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
What's most interesting about Dancing on Ice is it happened after Torvill and Dean had retired. They hadn't skated together in more than seven years and were living very separate lives on different sides of the Atlantic Ocean. The enormity of the show's success is also a bit stunning. They are almost more famous now than at the height of their competitive careers.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They did look great, didn't they! I bet most of today's skaters are hoping that when they reach their 50's, they will look as fresh as Jayne and Chris do now! ;) :biggrin:

And, it is great to see that after all these years the chemistry is still there. :biggrin:

Here is my report on the programme. I have deliberately written it in such a way as to not give too much away to anybody who wants an idea of what it is about, but at the same time wants watch the programme without knowing exactly what Jayne and Chris said.

I watched the Torvill and Dean episode of “Life Stories” over the weekend, and I have to say it was not exactly what I was expecting.

The programme has changed a lot since I last watched it. For all his faults, Piers Morgan is very good at his job as a serious journalist and a very tough interviewer. “Life Stories” used to be like that, but it isn’t any more. That interview could easily have been on a light entertainment programme like “This Morning” instead.

Also, the programme was far too short. When “Life Stories” first started, there was the normal hour-long programme, but there was also an extended hour-and-a-half-long version. Torvill and Dean could easily have filled a longer programme. Like, they are famous for being successful skaters, but the programme barely scraped the surface of their skating career.

But, although it was short, it was very interesting nevertheless. I wasn’t born when they won the Olympics in 1984. So, although I knew it was a big thing, I didn’t realise it was quite THAT big! I really cannot imagine the whole country getting behind any of our modern-day athletes like that, or giving them such a massive celebration if they came home as champions.

I loved the insight into Chris’ childhood. That must have been terrible for him, and you couldn’t help but really feel for him. As Jayne said later on, it really did help explain his reaction to things that happened later in his life.

It was also very interesting when they were talking about Chris’ marriages, and his current relationship with Karen. But when they were talking about how Chris got together with Isabelle Duchesnay, I noticed that they made a point of not mentioning the name of the Swiss skater he was seeing around that time. I take it that she’s got her own family and all now and didn’t want to be brought into the spotlight again. But, it didn’t stop my brain going into overdrive trying to figure it out!!! (It’s maybe a good job I only really know skaters from the past decade!)

Although I found all the stuff about Chris interesting, I think they could have talked a bit more about Jayne. Like, the only thing about her that the interview focussed in on was her not being able to have children.

Not having children was undoubtedly a big aspect of Jayne’s life, which was very upsetting for her (and which made us viewers upset as well). But focussing in on only this made it look like this was the only aspect of her life that Jayne was willing to talk about. Whereas Chris had opened up about his childhood and his relationships, it looked as if Jayne was reluctant to open up about anything else.

Of course, this was probably just a case of the producers trying to fit as much juicy stuff into a 44 minute programme as possible, be it by editing down what had originally been filmed, or by carefully choosing which questions to ask before filming started. But, to the average viewer, it would have looked unbalanced.

And what is the obsession with “did they/didn’t they”?! Does it really matter?! Sure, to be in a competitive partnership (be it in Pairs or Dance), there has to be a certain amount of chemistry. Otherwise, there will be tension between the partners, which will inevitably spill out onto the rink at some stage. Although there are many reasons why so many partnerships split up, just plain not getting along has to be one of the main ones.

Elena Ilynikh and Nikita Katsalapov are the only current skating partners that I know are involved with each other. And, yes, it shows on the ice. Many commentators complain about skating partners not being convincing at putting across the impression of a couple in love. But with Elena and Nikita, there is never that problem. The chemistry between them is amazing, and you can see in the way they look at each other that they are deeply in love.

But, am I desperate to know if anybody else is involved with their skating partner? No. Frankly, it is nobody’s business but the skaters themselves! (And, possibly, their coach). Of course, if they have an argument or break up, that can have repercussions on the ice – in the worse case scenario it could spell the end of a potentially promising skating partnership. But, otherwise, we can all happily go along in total ignorance of whether anything is going on or not, without it affecting anybody!

One thing that did get to me a bit was the fact that practically the entire programme after the final set of ads was about “Dancing On Ice”. For those that live outside the UK and didn’t realise, “Life Stories” and “Dancing On Ice” are shown by the same channel (ITV). And Torvill and Dean’s episode of “Life Stories” just happened to be broadcast on the day before the final of “Dancing On Ice”!

That Torvill and Dean’s episode of “Life Stories” was broadcast on Friday had nothing to do with the World Figure Skating Championships being on held this week. It was a shameless attempt by ITV to promote the final of “Dancing On Ice”. And the final 9 minutes of the programme made that blindingly obvious.

Sure, “Dancing On Ice” played a big role in Jayne and Chris’ recent history. It got them back together after a decade apart; it got them back in the public eye; it led to the break-up of Chris’ 2nd marriage; and it led to the start of Chris’ relationship with Karen.

But, bearing in mind that Jayne and Chris started skating together 38 years ago, and “Dancing On Ice” has only been going for 8 of those years, I think devoting a whole section of the programme to it was a bit over the top.

As I have never watched “Dancing On Ice”, I am probably totally ignorant about its importance to the Torvill and Dean story. But, personally, I would have thought that talking about their highly-successful competitive skating career would have been more important than talking about a TV programme that they are involved in.

Overall, though, it was a really enjoyable and insightful programme. But, another half hour (or, even better, 3/4 of an hour ;) :biggrin: ) would have made all the difference.

So, that is my take on the programme. I hope you have enjoyed reading my report on it.

CaroLiza_fan
Elena and Nikita are not involved with each other off the ice. She's been dating their coach for the past year or so.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Elena and Nikita are not involved with each other off the ice. She's been dating the sleazeball that coaches them.

WHAT?! :eek:

I remember reading a story about a year ago saying that Elena and Nikita had been seeing each other (with the odd break) since they were youngsters, but had only made it public when they became really famous and people started speculating.

The writers must have got it wrong, or else it was an old story I was reading...! (The perils of the internet!)

Well, if they are not dating, then their performances on the ice are even more impressive! They certainly had me convinced!

Apologies for the mistake.

So, Morozov has done it again. How does he manage to capture the interest of all these beautiful girls?

If you're reading this Nikolai – call me. I need tips!!! ;) :biggrin: :laugh:

Right, back to topic. I'll be starting to type out the transcript of the interview shortly. So keep your eyes peeled...!

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Finally!!! My transcript is finished!!! :D :D :D

Firstly, apologies that it has taken this long to complete my transcript of the Torvill and Dean edition of “Life Stories”.

As I wrote above, I could not find a copy of the transcript on the internet, so I decided to watch it with the subtitles on, and type them out manually.

One thing that has always really wound me up about subtitles is that quite often they do not exactly match what is being spoken. Sometimes, the person typing them out re-words things to make the statement fit better on the screen. Or, perhaps pure laziness! And because of this, I developed a real dislike for the people who type out subtitles.

When I went to re-watch “Life Stories” with the subtitles on, I found that this had also happened here. So, in the end I decided to make out my own transcript.

Now that I have done it, I have a real sympathy for the people who type out subtitles. You would not believe how much people can say in a small space of time, and how long it takes to type it out precisely! Put it like this – I was finding that it took about an hour to type out just 5 minutes-worth of talking.

It is a very boring job to do, so much so that if you don’t take a short break after every five minutes sitting at it, it would drive you mad!

So, to those people that do this for a living – well done! Most people do not properly appreciate the hard work you do, but I am now one person that does! ;)

Anyway, I am going to post each section of the programme as a separate post, as the full 46 minutes of the programme filled up 23 A4 pages!!! Somehow, I don’t think you would want a single post that was that long!!! ;) :biggrin:

Oh, and for handiness, I have included a link to the video of that part of the programme at the start of each part's transcript!

Enjoy

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Transcript of Part 1

Part 1

Introduction Video

Piers MorganJayne Torvil and Christopher Dean are Britain’s most famous sporting double act. [Pause] Olympic Gold with that Bolero performance which wowed the nation.
Jayne TorvillQuite exciting.
PMThis is the first time they’ve really sat down together and given an in-depth television interview. Really new territory for both of them.
JTHe is coming across as a real gentleman, but then he does hit people with those probing questions, so er, I guess we’ll have to be ready for that.
PMI’ll be quite interested to know whether they were more nervous before their Olympic performances, or when they sit down tonight and are facing me.
PMThere’s one question everybody really wants to know: did they?
Christopher DeanI think Piers is going to ask us about skating, what do you think?
JT[Laughs] Not a chance
JT & CD[Both Laugh]
PMWelcome
[Roll Titles]

Studio

PMJayne Torvill, Christopher Dean. I feel like I’m sitting down with Morecombe and Wise [CD does skip dance in chair], or a Lennon and McCartney, or Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, because I’ve never interviewed a double-act before. But you don’t do many in-depth interviews together like this. Why did you feel now was the time?
JTI think we thought it was an opportunity to tell our life story, people see us on television, more recently on “Dancing On Ice”, and just see those little moments of training, but you don’t really get to know us as people.
PMChris, how long have you been together as a partnership?
CDTrying to work this out the other day, actually, and, erm, we have skated together for 38 years.
PMHave you really?
CDYeah
[Audience applauds. JT slumps back in chair as if in her dotage]
CDI was trying to do the maths the other day. How far that is that we’ve skated. And I’ve figured it’s around 250,000 miles, so…
PM[Laughs]
CD…10 times round the world
PMIs that what it is?
CDSomething like that
PMWhen you work that out, I mean, how does that make you feel?
CDOld
[Laughter, led by PM]
JTWe were… We were only 5 when we started skating together.
CDOh, right. I’m sorry. Jayne’s got a stage age
[More laughter]
PMWho’s the boss? I mean, is there a boss?
JTI think Chris thinks he’s the boss
CDMmmmm
[Laughter]
PMChris, am I right in thinking Jayne’s the boss, then?
[Laughter, led by PM]
CDCan you see where her hand is right now? [Leans forward to show his back]
[Laughter]
PMDo you ever ague? I mean, have you ever had spectacular rows?
JTWe’ve had arguments, but we have less and less nowadays, because we get to a point where… perhaps a bit tense with each other and we kinda go, “oh, can’t be bothered”
[Laughter, led by PM]
JTIt’ll take too long, too much energy
CDIt’s a wonderful thing, isn’t it?
JTYeah. Yeah.
PMI thought it would be quite fun to treat you almost like a married couple, and ask each of you about the other. So, Jayne. Let me start with you. How would you describe Chris to a stranger?
JTTo a stranger? Like a blonde prince. He’s very focused and intense, but he does have a sense of humour as well… [Small laugh]
CDYou have to look for it really closely
JT [at same time]…if you look hard [Burst into laughter]
[Laughter]
PMWhat’s his single most annoying habit?
JTUrgh, he always wants to be on time. Em, and in fact, he’s always early.
PM[Laughs]
JT…So if it’s 9 o’clock, he’s there at quarter-to. And then he’s looking at his watch at 1-minute to, or he’ll call me “Where are you, where are you?” It’s not nine yet. Once we were in New York, and we were meant to meet up at a certain time. And I was shopping and I was late. And he called the police.
[Laughter]
JT[While still laughing] He thought I was in hospital. And I laughed when he told me. He was furious.
[Laughter]
PMWhat was going through your mind?
CDShe shouldn’t have been that late. It was New York.
JTSo? I’m always late!
CD[inaudible] it’s New York, you [inaudible]
PMWhat did you think had happened to her?
CDWell, anything could have happened in New York, couldn’t it? She could’ve been mugged, she could’ve been abducted, she could’ve been…
JTI was in Gap. I was in… [drowned out by Laughter]
PMIt’s like Mr And Mrs, this, isn’t it?
[More Laughter]
PMAlright Chris, let’s turn to you. Describe Jayne as if you were talking to a stranger about her.
JTI’m really close, by the way
CDI know
[Laughter]
PMYou’re scared of her, I can tell that already!
CDThe honest truth is… erm, and it’s gonna sound cheesy. But in my eyes she is everything I would want her to be. She’s…
[Awww, and Applause]
CDShe compliments what I try to do
PMFor all intensive purposes, you could be a married couple, and yet [pointing at JT] you’ve been very happily married for 20 years, [pointing at CD] you’ve been married twice and divorced twice, and we’ll come to that, but…
CD[Nervously] Will we?
PM[Matter-of-factly] Well, yes.
CD[Slumps down and puts head in hands]
PM[Confidently] Oh yes!
JTIt’s gonna be a long night!
PMIn a lotta detail! We’ve got a long night ahead of us, erm. But you won 7 British Championships, 4 Europeans Championships, 4 World Championships, 5 World Professional Championships, Gold and then Bronze at the Olympics. Pretty amazing, right?
[Applause, JT laughs]
PMYou also, like all great sportsmen, er, you are a bit weird. So, you have these weird little things that you do. Jayne, you had… [reaches down to side of chair]
JTOh God!
PM… these [produces a pair of tatty socks]
JTI know! Look at the state of them!
PMThe lucky socks. Look at the state of these!
JTThese were socks I wore, erm, in every major competition. And because we were performing night after night, I had to wear them. And they just disintegrated to the point where one of the wardrobe people put a new pair of socks inside. Cos they said “Can we throw them away?” And I was like “No. No.” And I think…
PMDo you still use these?
JTNo. No. I’m over it now.
PMBut you carry them…
CD [at same time]I wouldn’t be holding them if I were you
PMChris you had a slightly more… I wouldn’t say embarrassing thing that you did…
CDPersonal
PM…but, you used to wear a pair of lucky pants
CDYeah
PMDid you always wear these lucky pants…
CDFor a long time
PM [at same time]…or did you ever fly commando on the rink?
CDNo, you can’t fly commando. When you stop other things don’t, so you…
[Laughter, led by PM and JT]
CDYou have to wear something to keep you contained
PMI bet you always wondered, right?
CDNo, no.
PMLet’s take a look back at how you became the most celebrated ice dancing couple in history

Video

PMTorvill and Dean: Britain’s most famous and best-loved sporting double act
Kelly Holmes (Friend)Torvill and Dean are legendary. You say that name, you know them straight away
Karen Barber (CD’s girlfriend)Torvill and Dean: it goes together like salt and pepper.
Robin CousinsMarks and Spencer’s
[Sorry, I don’t know who she is. It’s too short a clip to put up a name caption here. And, unfortunately, they don’t use her again.]Egg and chips
Kim Leggitt (JT’s school friend)Astaire and Rogers
Daniel Whiston (Friend)Batman and Robin; they come together as a package
PMIn the 4 decades Jayne and Chris have been together they’ve won the hearts of the nation with incredible skating, culminating in an Olympic Gold Medal
Barry Davies (Sports commentator)They brought an artistry which hadn’t been seen before.
Robin CousinsThey became the new benchmark. They took the best of both of them and created this team which was unbeatable.
PMMore recently, they’ve thrilled viewers with their hit entertainment series, “Dancing On Ice”
Tony Gubba (“Dancing On Ice” commentator)It’s dance royalty: Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean
Phillip Schofield (“Dancing On Ice” presenter)For me, I know Torvill and Dean. I love that. I love the fact. “Hi Phillip” [Gasp] It’s Torvill and Dean!
PMBut along the way, they’ve suffered their fair share of controversy: a surprise bronze at their comeback Olympics; marriage breakdowns; and the constant scrutiny of their own relationship
Daniel WhistonIf I had £1 for every time some-one asked me if they were an item, I would be a very, very rich man.
Kim LeggittIt looks like they are meant to be together
Karen BarberIt added to the mystery of it all
JTWe get on quite well together
CDShe’s OK
JT & CD[Both Laugh]
Phillip SchofieldThey must’ve. Did they? They must’ve.
CDJust good friends.
JT[Giggles]
Phillip SchofieldI don’t know. But they must’ve [Laughs]
PMIt’s a long way from a 1950’s Nottinghamshire where Jayne and Chris grew up. Chris was just 6 when his parents separated, a new stepmother, Betty, appeared in the family home, and his mother Mavis severed contact and moved away.
Debbie Roberts (Former assistant & friend)He always used to say it in a very blasé way that one day he came home from school and she wasn’t there any more. And in the kitchen was another lady.
Karen BarberThink it was very difficult for, for a young boy to understand and, er, and figure out where his Mum had gone
Debbie RobertsHe needed something else to focus on.
Jo Lunn (friend)The skating was a release to him, because he is a, he was a very shy little boy. Erm, and... But on the ice he came alive.
PMAnd at the same rink was Jayne Torvill, who’d been introduced to the sport on a school trip.
Kim LeggittOur teacher, Mrs. Fitzsimons, organised the skating trip. And that was it. Jayne really got the bug. She was just a natural. You just see something and it, it stands out. She stood out.
Jo LunnYou always could tell that they both got talent, in a different way: Chris had got the flair, and Jayne was always the technician.
PMJayne and Chris became Ice Dancing partners
Robin CousinsIt didn’t take long before tongues were going “This could be something very exciting, and put British ice dancing back where it belonged”
PMTorvill and Dean’s natural flair and hard work took them to British, European and then World domination. And after years spent apart from her son, Chris’ mother Mavis came to see him skate.
Jo LunnIt wasn’t until they were competing in the British that I was aware that Betty wasn’t his, Chris’, real Mum. And it was by chance when his real Mum came to the championship. And my job was to keep her away, so it wouldn’t affect the skating
Debbie RobertsChris didn’t really want to tell his stepmum that he was back in contact with his real Mum, because he knew that that would upset her.
Karen BarberEventually, his own feelings got put aside
Jo LunnChris would have liked it to have all been happy, and them to have met and got on very, very well, but that just would never have happened.

Studio

PMA very complicated thing for a young boy to have to deal with: one day your mother’s there, you had a very good relationship with her; the next she’s gone and you have a stepmum come in. What are your recollections?
CDI was 6 at the time, I think. One day, Mum said she was leaving. And then I remember her leaving the house. I saw her going out with her case and, a couple of hours later, Betty arrived.
PMLiterally 2 hours later?
CDYeah. I had known betty because the couples, erm, had been friends…
PMThere you have these 2 couples who were friends, and Betty left her husband to come and live with your Dad, and your Mum leaves. You had no contact then with your mother for a long time.
CDNot for the longest time. No. And nothing was said.
PMYour father never tried to explain it to you?
CDWe never had, we never had a conversation to this day. I don’t know the how or why.
PMAnd he sadly died and…
CDYes he’s died.
PM…your stepmother has died
CDYes.
PMBut your natural mother is still alive.
CDStill alive, yes.
PMAnd do you feel more comfortable talking about this because your father, in particular, is no longer here?
CDYeah, I mean I love my Dad. He was always, to me, he was always there. He was always there. And, erm. When I say always there, I mean he worked every day of his life. So, for me, he was my rock.
PMYour mother came back a while later, to the area. And you found out about this. And you used to go off on your own, and look up at her new home.
CDTo go to school, I had to walk by it, so there were times that I’d always walk by and try and catch a glimpse of her.
PMDid you ever see her?
CDErm, sometimes tops of the head, because the height of the window [inaudible] I could, I could see…
PMWere you ever tempted to go in?
CD[Breaths out] Yeah, I think I was, but, erm… It would have caused, erm, problems at home. Yeah, but, erm… You know, Betty was looking after me.
PMYour mother came back into your life. Tell me how that happened.
CDI think she came to a British Championships once. And it wasn’t till after the fact that I found out she was there. And, and after that, erm, we started to communicate. I saw her a few times
PMHas she ever explained to you why she did what she did?
CDNo. [inaudible]
PMHave you ever asked?
CDNo.
PMDo you not want to know?
CDTo me, it’s in the past. I think all the events that have happened to me have made me the person that I am. And I think the one thing that it most probably did, it make me an independent person. And I think that then made me a stronger person. Erm, and then out of that became the determination, because I think, as a kid, I might have been a little bit spoilt. Nowadays I know my Mum will come to the studio to watch some “Dancing On Ice”, and occasionally I’ll look over there, and stuff is happening on the ice, but the only place she looks is at me.
JT [at same time]She’s looking at him all the time.
CDShe doesn’t take her eyes off me now.
JT[Chuckles]
CDI think she wants to make up for all the years lost.
PMDo you think you’ll ever get closure, though? I don’t want to labour this point, but do you think you’ll ever get closure unless you have the conversation?
CDErm… I don’t know whether I want closure. I don’t know whether I want to hear other things about my Dad…
PMYeah
CD…from my Mum’s point of view. You know, my Dad, in my head, was there all the time.
PMLike a hero to you.
CDYeah, yeah. You know, the day that my Dad died, er, it was the most tragic day of my life. You know, when I look back on anything, the moment of absolute tragedy for me in my life was, was that moment.

Coming Up

PMThere’s no easy way of saying this, so I’m just going to spit it out. Did you, or didn’t you?
[Laughter]

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Transcript of Part 2

Part 2

Studio

PMIn 1975, these 2 worlds collide. And did you feel an instant connection, or do these things take time?
CDYou know, people want to hear that, um, the sun shone, and bells started to ring, and “Hallelujah!” it was all great. But, you know, we went into the Nottingham ice rink at about 5:30 in the morning. We did, like, a 2 hour session of skating, basic stuff like that
JTWe probably, we didn’t say a word to each other, I don’t think.
CDWe were so shy. You know, just barely able to touch hands. But we skated, we got through it, and the coach at the end of the session said, ”What do you think? Are you, are you going to try it out?” And we said, “Let’s give it a week.” And then, after a week, she said “Are you gonna try, are you gonna stay together?” “Let’s give it another couple of weeks, then a month, then a year…”
PM [at same time]So, you weren’t sure
CDWe still haven’t decided
[Laughter, led by PM]
JTIt became a bit of a superstition that if we said “yeah, we’re gonna stay together” that it would all go wrong. So, we never did.
CDNo, and, you know, we had full-time jobs, I mean, I was a…
PMWell, you were a policeman.
CDI was a policeman
PMYou were an insurance clerk at the Norwich Union
JT[Nods in agreement]
PMSo, you were pretty busy. How did you find the time to give the commitment to skating you have to do to be at the top?
CDWell, they were all hours that God sent, because I was on shift work, so Jayne kinda had to work around my schedule. So, if I was on afters, I’d work until 10 o’clock, take off the uniform, go down the rink, erm…
JTWe’d skate 10 o’clock at night, didn’t we?
CD [at same time]We’d skate for 2 or 3 hours, and then start work the next day. So… And that was our life for, oh, 5 years, like.
PMThis is the kind of dedication it takes, isn’t it?
CDWe were so passionate about it. You know, we’d invested a lot of time in skating, and I think we just loved it. And, eventually, we decided that we’ve got to take the leap now and leave our jobs, as an opportunity to progress up the ladder, because we did start placing a little further up into, in the international field.
PMAnd actually, you went, I think, Jayne to the dole office to sign on
JTA lot of skaters at the Nottingham rink, they used to say, “Oh, go and sign on”…
CDAnd we were so naïve…
JT [at same time]…and so we went down, we went down there, and they said “So, what kind of job are you looking for?” And we said, “Oh, we’re not looking for a job.” Because, we didn’t quite get it! [Laughs]
[Laughter]
JTYou can’t sign on, then [Still Laughing]
CD [at same time]We didn’t know you had to be actively seeking employment. No, we just want to skate. So, we didn’t qualify
PMSo they explained, that’s not how this works.
JTYeah.
CD [at same time]No [inaudible] find you [inaudible]
PM [at same time]Your next move, you wrote to the council in Nottingham
CDYeah.
JTYes, erm, somebody said, “Why don’t you write a letter to the council, the city council, because I’ve heard there might… they sometimes sponsor people”…
PMYou got £42,000, not an insignificant sum of money, but not a fortune. Erm, when you heard you got it, did you think, “[Breaths out] OK, we’ve bought ourselves some time”?
JTIt was just amazing.
CDYou said it felt like being a millionaire, didn’t you.
JTYeah, I mean in those days…
CD [at same time]At the time…
JT…it was like…
CD [at same time]…it was £7,000 each year, erm…
PMCould you imagine that in that moment that one day you’d have a housing estate in Nottinghamshire named after you?
JT[Giggles]
PMThat’s 300 houses. Road names include Bolero Close, Jayne Close, Christopher Close, Torvill Heights, Dean Close. I mean, you’ve become more famous than Robin Hood in Nottingham!
[Laughter]
PMYou were starting to make your name as world-class skaters, but the best was yet to come.

Video

PMIn the early 80’s, Chris and Jayne’s dedication had paid off when they started racking up British, European and World Championship titles. And their skating technique was becoming ever more sophisticated and daring.
Robin CousinsThey wanted to be innovative with the lifts, they wanted to push the boundaries of where the grey areas were in the rules.
Barry DaviesThey bent little rules and demands and, and jolly well done for them because they made it a different sport.
Karen BarberYou always tried to do what they had done the year before. You were never ahead of them. All you could really do was try to keep up. [Whispering] Got annoying after a while!
PMJayne and Chris already had their eyes set on the highest accolade of all: a gold at the 1984 Winter Olympics. And to win, they’d have to push those boundaries to the limit, starting with the music.
Sue Barker (Sports presenter)What could they come up with for the Olympics? Ravel’s “Bolero”? We thought, “No way! This is not gonna, this isn’t going to work.”
Robin CousinsIt was the first time a piece of music like that had been used in its entirety, or at least in a way that was not badly edited and there wasn’t this juxtaposition, this cheesy music in the middle. It was a unique piece.
John Humphrys (News reader)Britain’s medal hopes, of course, rest with ice dancers Torvill and Dean.
Phillip SchofieldWe’ve bought into this so massively. Don’t let us down. The pressure would have been huge!
PMThe day of “Bolero” arrived, 14th February 1984. The streets were deserted as 24 million people tuned in to watch their ice heroes.
Phillip SchofieldIf you were even remotely into skating… or patriotic… or one of those people that happily jumped on a bandwagon… then you remember where you were that night when it all happened.
Robin CousinsThere is nothing like being in an arena when those magic moments happen. You can’t explain to people at home. It’s… It just has that… [Tapping back of neck] You can feel it now, you just remember the, you know, the hairs on the back of the neck go up.
Sue BarkerKneeling on the ice… You were just lost with the magic. Everybody was in floods of tears. It was beautiful to watch.
Ian Goodman (Chris’ Friend)When it finished, the place erupted.
Kelly HolmesIt was just one of those moments where you sit and watch, and then it’s just: [Screams] “Wow!!!!!”
Barry DaviesThey produced a performance of a lifetime. Seeing success like that from PC Plod and the insurance clerk, golly! Nine sixes! Every one a six!
Karen BarberThey are the marks that have never been beaten since.
Robin CousinsEverything came together. It was a perfect moment, as the scores, erm, told us.
Sue BarkerI was so proud to be British, and so proud to know them.
PMThe Olympic champions returned to Britain triumphant.
News reporter [sorry, I don’t recognise the voice]Had they been on skates, the champions might have been able to sweep past the press photographers, who accorded them a welcome normally reserved for Hollywood stars or pop singers.
JTIt’s quite exciting.
Sue BarkerThey just were megastars of sport. No-one thought that ice skaters would become that well known, and that loved by the British public.
A different news reporter [sorry, I don’t recognise the voice]Chris, what do you think of it all here?
CDIt’s too much, really! We really didn’t expect all these people!
Jo LunnThe amount of people that turned out to support them was amazing
CDThank you, really. Thank you very, very much.
[Cheers]
Daniel WestonThey became almost royalty to Great Britain. Every-one was completely in awe of them.
Phillip SchofieldThere must have been moments when they thought “Oh My God. You know, I don’t know whether we signed up for this. I this what we really want?” But, by then, too late. Everybody wants a bit of you.

Studio

PMWatching it again now reminded me of where I was watching it. I remember everybody watching it. What a moment for British sports! Did you feel it was as near to perfect a performance as you could have done?
[CD waves finger]
[Laughter, led by JT]
CDNow, let me tell you about that. That final position, did you see me roll onto my tummy?
PMYes
CDThat wasn’t perfect.
[Laughter, led by JT]
CDThat was the moment that I shouldn’t have rolled onto my tummy.
PMBut they thought it was part of the routine, presumably.
CDEr, yeah. Presumably
JTHe was probably so relieved he was getting to the end he [makes Flumph noise] went for a dive.
CDIt was so much at the end. It was, I really was impassioned at the end.
PMI mean Jayne, I realised the technical fault immediately I saw it, but…
JTYeah, of course
[Laughter]
PMDid you realise, in that tiny split-second, that he… he’d done something wrong? Did you fear that may have jeopardised things?
JTNo. I [inaudible], I couldn’t fell it because I was in front of him. I think, form the side, it wouldn’t have looked as bad.
CDNo
JTNo. But also there was this whole…
PMSee what a perfectionist he is! He gets 9 sixes, and all he’s doing is, “It wasn’t quite right”
[Laughter]
PMSo, your [looks at JT] your parents were there. And your Dad reacted in a really surprising way.
JTThey were at Sarajevo, and I went to meet them to say goodbye. And my Dad just, was just crying, and my Mum said “Oh, take no notice of him”
[Laughter, led by JT]
JT“Take no notice”
PMWere you shocked, I mean he…
JTI was, actually.
PM [at same time] …he wasn’t normally an emotional kind of guy.
JTFrom any time after that, he never liked to say goodbye. He got a bit emotional, it was almost like he was remembering that moment, too.
CDBut he parents are very much – well, um, and my Dad was – it was just kind of, “You did well, yeah!”
JTMy Dad used to say, um, “Not bad, not bad.” That’s all I ever got from him.
PMEven after the Olympics?
JTAnd my Mum always used to say “Oh, you did really well…” she said, “…but there’s always some-one better than you”
[Laughter]
CD[Waving finger] Not on this occasion!
[More laughter]
PM24 million people in Britain watched you win the Gold Medal – a third of the population; quite extraordinary viewing figures. When was the moment that you realised your lives probably weren’t ever going to be the same, that you’d now become these huge stars?
JTStepping off the aeroplane coming back to the UK after the last championship and all the people there, it was like “Whoa!”
CDAnd going around the city centre, when we were paraded around in the Pope-mobile.
[Laughter]
CDI mean, it was an amazing time. Erm, and you couldn’t go to Marks and Spencer’s to get your underwear after that.
JTNo.
[Laughter]
PMThere was also – which I don’t think British viewers would have been aware of – but, you produced an album.
[PM reaches down to side of chair, and lifts up an LP]
[JT laughs, and puts head in hands in embarrassment]
PM“Torvill and Dean: Here We Stand”, this was mainly in Australia. It was never released here. You look very…
CD [at same time][Sarcastically] I wonder why?!
[Laughter]
PMRather than just playing one of the tracks on the album, when it’s all been polished and the producers have been at it, you produced a demo…
CDOh, we didn’t…
PMThis is a world exclusive of the demo song “It Was A Fine Romance”, most famously sung by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong, of course. This is the new Ella and Louis.
[CD puts head in hands]
[JT laughs hysterically]
PMTake a listen to this.
JT [singing]# A fine romance with no kisses. A fine romance, my friend, this is. #
[JT laughs hysterically]
[CD puts head in hands as his line comes up]
CD [singing]# A fine romance, you won’t nestle. A fine romance, you won’t wrestle. #
[JT laughs hysterically]
CD [at same time][inaudible] your foot
JT [singing]# I’ve never spoiled the crease in your favourite pants. #
JT [at same time][Cringes] Oh God!
JT [singing]# I’ve never had the chance. #
JT and CD [singing]# This is a fine romance! #
[Laughter, turning to applause]
CDI’ve not heard that.
PMI don’t think Ella and Louis need worry too much.
JTOh, gosh, no!
CD[Jokingly] But if you want to buy the album, iTunes…
[Laughter, led by JT]
[Applause]

Coming Up

[JT getting very emotional, CD puts arm around her]
CDShe’s never talked about it in public before

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Transcript of Part 3

Part 3

Studio

PM
There’s no easy way of saying this…

[JT Laughs]
PM
…so I’m just going to spit it out. Did you, or didn’t you?

[Total silence]

[Laughter at silence]
JT
Well, you see, when I first saw Chris, I fell in love with him, but then we started skating together. And that was it [Laughs].

[Laughter. Some “awww”s]
JT
I was done.
PM
Really? So, just to clarify, you have never had any kind of relationship, seriously?

[JT shakes head]
PM
Nothing. Not a flicker?
JT
No. People find that hard to understand…
PM
Not a kiss?
JT
Oh, we’ve kissed. We kiss all the time. Do you know what I mean? Look.

[JT kisses CD on lips]
PM
No, I mean like a proper kiss. You know, the one where you…
CD [at same time]
Mouth open, tongues?
PM
Yes.
CD
No.
JT
No.
PM
Not one single snog in the history of Torvill and Dean, in 38 years?
JT
[Confidently] No snogs.
PM
Really?!

[CD screws up face]
PM
Yes you have.
JT
No, not that I can reca-…
CD [at same time]
The memory’s so far…

[Laughter, led by JT]
PM
You see! It’s coming back now, isn’t it?
CD
No. [Laughs] No.
PM
You never had a moment?
CD
We may have dabbled slightly, but…
PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa!

[JT looks shocked]
PM
Whoa!
JT
Was I there? Was I there, honestly? [Laughs]

[Laughter]
PM
Perhaps you’d like to clarify the word “dabble”.

[Laughter]
CD
Dabble. Dabble.
PM
What does “dabble” mean, Chris?
CD
Erm…
JT
I think we came back from a coach trip one time, and we sat at the back.
CD
That was it: on the backseat of one of those coaches
PM
Backseat of the bus

[Laughter]
JT
I think he probably put his arm around me…

[JT demonstrates putting arm around CD]
JT
…and I fell asleep

[CD demonstrates by putting head on JT’s shoulder, and closing his eyes]
PM
No, I think he thinks there was a little bit more than that
JT
Does he?

[Laughter]
JT
Ah, right…

[CD goes back to sitting normally]
JT
…well, I was probably asleep. [Laughs]
CD [at same time]
While she was asleep, I may have kissed her

[Laughter, led by JT and CD]
PM
I think…
CD
She knew nothing!

[Laughter]
JT
I knew nothing!
PM
Listen: I think there was a bit of snogging on the back of the coach, wasn’t there? That’s what you’re really getting at.

[CD looks uncomfortable]
JT
[Muttering] [inaudible], didn’t you?

[Laughter]

[CD throws arms up in air]
PM
I didn’t mention dabbling; you did!

[Laughter]
CD
It was a dabble.
PM
So, there was a bit of kissing.
CD
There might have been…?
JT
[To PM] I think you’re putting words into his mouth
PM
This is a piece of history! You’ve had every interviewer trying to get this in the past 40 years, and I’ve finally cracked the rock. The word “dabble” has been used.

[Laughter, led by JT]

[CD tries to stop himself from laughing, but joins in]
PM
Everyone’s now gripped! Never mind Bolero, this is the big one!

[Laughter at same time]

[JT and CD laugh hysterically]
CD
And that’s as far as it goes, dabbling.
PM
Maybe as far as it goes now, but was that as far as it went?
CD
Yes.
PM
Categorically?
CD
Categorically. [Pause] It’s a, it’s an unusual relationship that we have.

[JT nods]
CD
And, er, yet at the same time, of course we love each other, yeah. You wouldn’t be able to do all that we do without loving.
PM
But, isn’t it an extraordinary relationship? It’s hard to think of another one quite like it, actually.
CD
Yeah, no, it’s… I wouldn’t trade her in [Points at JT]

PM
Jayne, Chris. As we’ve heard, it hasn’t just been skating that’s fascinated your fans.

Video

PM
The British public were hoping that the Torvill and Dean fairytale would continue from the ice to the aisle. But within a few years they were dating – just not each other. Jayne was in a relationship with Phil Christiansen, a sound engineer who worked on their professional tour, and soon it was serious.
Debbie Roberts
Phil proposed to Jayne with the most beautiful engagement ring. Er, which she wore very proudly until… [Pause] …we started the next leg of another tour.
Karen Barber
They kept it to themselves for a long time because… [Pause] …she didn’t want to break the magic of Torvill and Dean
Debbie Roberts
They were encouraged by tour producers and promoters, er, not to be seen with respective partners.
PM
With his skating partner getting hitched, Chris found himself at a crossroads
Debbie Roberts
Jayne getting engaged to Phil… [Pause] …affected Chris in more of a personal way than even a professional way. Because Chris’ answer to that was to get engaged. He was actually dating 2 girls at the time: Isabelle and another, really lovely, Swiss skater. And, unfortunately, he chose the wrong one.
PM
Chris’ new wife, Canadian skater Isabelle Duchesnay, wanted him to concentrate on choreographing her, rather than skating.
Ian Goodman
Isabelle thought that she should be the centre of attention and Chris should not be skating any more.
Debbie Roberts
Contemplating just a life of choreographing I don’t think filled Chris with any kind of inspiration. I think the shock of marrying the wrong person for the wrong reason at the wrong time just devastated him.
Ian Goodman
It did hit him hard for a time.
Debbie Roberts
Chris is absolutely no good on his own. Sometimes you just want to say, “You can cope on your own.” It goes right back to being a 6 year old boy and losing his Mum
PM
Jayne and Phil, meanwhile, were happily married and looking to the future.
Karen Barber
They have a beautiful house and, and hoped for a family. It was the final part of the jigsaw. But then they realised that they were having problems and it might not be as easy as she’d hoped.
Jo Lunn
Jayne sacrificed a lot for skating. Maybe it was left a little bit late, because all her life, until her mid-30’s, it was constantly hard training.
Karen Barber
When you, erm… [clears throat] have had the success that she had, and the Olympic Golds, which is amazing, but… [Pause] …what she really wanted was children.
Debbie Roberts
She had her IVF treatment. She had a dreadful, dreadful ectopic pregnancy, which nearly killed her.
Karen Barber
It’s hard to see… [Breaths out] a friend go through years, really, of, of erm… She just wanted to be a Mum, at the end of the day.
PM
In 2003, that wish was granted, when Jayne and Phil adopted the first of 2 children.
Kim Leggitt
That was the icing on the cake, for her part of her life away from the ice.
Debbie Roberts
Now they have 2 beautiful children, both of which they’ve had since they were tiny babies. And, er… [Pause] …Jayne’s the mother that she always wanted to be.

Studio

PM
Clearly a, a very tough time that you had leading up to, to adopting children. And your friends clearly thought that, really in the end, you’d achieved so much, but what you really wanted was to have a child of your own.

[JT clears throat]
PM
Tell me about that period.
JT
Well, I think, you know, as a couple, skating together, it’s easy for the guy to go off and start a family, because it wouldn’t affect his skating. Whereas for me, I didn’t wanna sort of stop what we were doing, so I left it quite late. And I was sort of well into my 40’s, I think, by then. But then the, erm, having an ectopic pregnancy as well…
PM
Which is a very serious condition.
JT
Yeah, cos I got pregnant quite quickly and I thought, “Oh, this, this is fine.” And, erm, when I went to have a scan, they said I had an ectopic pregnancy, and I didn’t know what that meant. And they, er, said “Well, the, the, er, it’s the embryo growing in one of the tubes.” And I said, “Oh, OK.” I was thinking, “Fine.” I said “So, how do you get it out then?” And they said, “Oh, we don’t. We can’t.” So that’s when it hit me. I was like, “Oh.” So, I went through the surgery, and then it was obviously going to be more difficult, so I tried IVF for about a year. That, as a lot of women will know, it’s traumatic in itself.
PM
The moment you decided to adopt, how did you reach that decision with Phil?
JT
Well, a friend of mine, erm, had adopted a little boy. She said, “Oh, come and, come and see him.” And, erm, at that point, I wasn’t ready to look into adoption. I was still thinking it was gonna happen. And you’ve got to be ready for it if you want to adopt. I said to my husband, “I don’t know if I could… I don’t know if I could do this.” And, erm, I went to see this little boy, and I wanted to bring him home!” [Breaks into a massive smile]
PM
And then you knew?

[JT nods head, gets emotional and starts crying]

[CD puts arm around JT, and starts rubbing her back]

[Applause]

[JT breathes out, sniffles, and composes herself]

[At same time, CD takes his arm back]
PM
What was that feeling like, when you had your little boy and you were a family?
JT
Erm… [Pauses, then laughs] Scary! [Laughs again]

[Brief Laughter]
PM
[Whilst laughing himself] It is terrifying the first time, isn’t it?
JT
Yeah.
PM
But incredibly fulfilling for you, as a woman.
JT
Yeah, I mean, it takes a while to get used to… [Pause] …having… [Gets emotional] Sorry.

[JT getting very emotional, CD puts arm around her]
CD
She’s never talked about it in public before.
PM
No, I realise that.

[JT still very emotional]
PM
Take your time a second

[At same time, CD takes his arm back]
PM
And you went on to have a, you adopted a baby girl, as well. You have these 2 kids, who are growing up very nicely now. Er, how do you find being a mother?
JT
[Now composed] When the second child comes along, it’s amazing the things that, that you do for the first one that you realise “I didn’t really have to go to that extreme.”

[PM Laughs]
JT
And the times I used to leave the house with the, my little girl, and I’d forget to take the bag with all the stuff in and, you know, the milk and the nappies, and the… [Makes buzzing noise] And I used to think “Oh my gosh, what kind of mother am I?!” But then you think, “Well, wait a minute. If I need to, I can go and buy this stuff while I’m out.” But there’s obsessive-ness with the first child.
PM
Yeah

[JT nods]
PM
Chris, er, before we talk about your first marriage…
CD
[Groans] Yeah
PM
…I’ll pick up on something that your friend, and former PA, Debbie said. She said that when you decided to get married, you were dating 2 skaters. First of all, is that true?
CD
I don’t know whether that’s in her head.

[At same time, CD waves index finger of right hand]
CD
At some point, there was a Swiss girl…

[At same time, CD waves index finger of left hand]
CD
…but I don’t think it was at the same time, no.

[At same time, CD brings two index fingers together beside each other, then takes them away]
PM
She felt you made the wrong choice, you should have gone with the other skater.
CD
I think Debbie, erm, and everybody else I knew thoughht it was the wrong choice.

[PM grunts]
CD
Everybody. [Looks around at JT] Did you think it was the wrong choice?
JT
[Immediately] Yep.

[Laughter, led by JT]
PM
Your wedding day to Isabelle…

[JT clears throat]
PM
…she’d planned it all, she had…
CD
Her and her mother.
PM
…she had photographers there, camera crews. It was a huge event.
CD
[Grumbling] Yeah, it was.
PM
She was the star.
CD
[Grumbling] I turned up.
PM
Yeah.

[Laughter, led by JT and CD]
PM
Is that how it felt to you?
CD
[Immediately] Yeah.
PM
We have a picture of you on the wedding day. [Shows photo] Do you think that you loved her?

[Long pause. CD screws up face. Another long pause]
JT
Answer. [Punches CD’s arm] Answer.

[Laughter]

[JT Laughs. PM has a cheeky smile]
CD
The love thing… [Waves right hand] …that’s a very hard thing for me. I go back to the childhood thing, the mother thing. And, erm, I think that love thing’s hard for me, to find.
PM
I bet it is!
CD
Yeah.
PM
Because you had it for your mother and she left you.
CD
Yeah.
PM
When you got divorced, Isabelle claimed that you were very cold. She also said you’d had a string of lovers.

[CD shakes head]
PM
Was that, was either true
CD
[Breaths in and shakes head] No. No, I don’t think I was cold. And as for a string of lovers, no, no, I don’t have strings of lovers.
PM [at same time]
How long’s a piece of string?

[CD breathes in, and shakes head]
PM
Could there have been any particles of string?
CD
No, no.
PM
A dabble?

[Laughter]

[CD does not look impressed]
CD
No, I can honestly say, each relationship I was in, I was faithful until it finished.

Coming Up

[CD gasps, leans head back, then returns to position]
CD
It was like you rushed towards this wall [Leans back and puts hands up] and crashed, and I didn’t know it was going to be like this.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Transcript of Part 4

Part 4

Studio

PMIn 1994, ten years after you’d won gold at the Olympics, you decided to compete in the Olympics again.
CDMmmm
PMYou were professional skaters, so technically it shouldn’t have been allowed, but you’d heard of a rule change in 1992, which made them eligible if you dropped your professional status. Why did you do this? Why risk the unassailable reputation that you had, to go back into the Olympic arena?
CDBecause of skating. Because of the challenge. It was sort of a measure for us, of “Were we still vital and competitive and could we do it?”

Video

PMTorvill and Dean made an Olympic comeback, but it didn’t go according to plan. The return from the professional circuit back into amateur competition resulted in just a bronze medal, amidst a sea of controversy.
Barry DaviesI have no doubt that they should have won the gold. But I believe there was a feeling in some parts of the sport that didn’t want them to win because you shouldn’t be allowed to be jetted back into the middle of it and win.
Sue BarkerIt was hard to see this couple that… [Pause] …had so dominated the sport look as though they were feeling let down by it.
PMAfter more professional tours, they decided to split up, stop skating and go their separate ways.
Debbie RobertsThere were only 3 or 4 of us that knew that that was going to be the last performance.
PMChris moved to Colorado with his second wife, Jill.
Jo LunnHe did just up and go; left friends, family, erm, and Jayne. That was a big void for Chris.
Debbie RobertsThey did call each other, and they called each other a lot – at least a couple of times a day. I don’t know whether… [Pause] …er, you would sat that Chris was depressed during that time. I think he was very lonely. He needs something to aim at. He needs that drive and that competition.
PMAnd that competition was to present itself in an unlikely way.
Katie Rawcliffe (Executive Producer, “Dancing On Ice”)We approached Jayne and Chris with the idea of “Dancing On Ice”, and I think they were quite sceptical, because it was a huge thing to undertake.
PMThe first series of “Dancing On Ice” hit our screens in 2006, and Jayne and Chris were re-united for the first time in nearly a decade.
Matt Evers (Friend)I can’t even imagine the pressure they must have felt with it being their comeback and with having to do new routines.
Phillip SchofieldOh my Goodness. They’re back! Are they going to be as good as they were? Have they still got it?
Katie RawcliffeExpectation was really, really high, so the pressure was quite immense.
Phillip Schofield[On show with Holly Willoughby beside him] Stepping back onto the ice it’s… [Pause] Torvill and Dean!
Kelly HolmesTo actually take that risk and have the guts to go, almost put your credibility at risk, I think it took a lot.
PMThe fears were unfounded. The opening show was watched by millions.
Katie RawcliffeThe morning after the first show when we got the viewing figures in, and they were over 11 million, it was amazing.
Matt EversIt thrust ice skating into mainstream here in the UK.
Karen BarberMillions of people were going skating. Ice rinks were built on the back of the success of “Dancing On Ice”.
PMAnd the ice legends are still giving the young guns on the show a run for their money, Jayne in particular.
Phillip SchofieldShe’s gorgeous, and she has an amazing body. And for a woman of 84 [not a typing error – he really did say that!], that’s extraordinary.
PMHowever, for Chris, the pressure of being away from his family for most of the year took its toll, and he and Jill split up.
Matt EversIt was hard to project this figurehead to the nation, and then behind closed doors was very sad and very lonely.
Debbie RobertsI think I would defy any woman not to fall just a tiny bit in love with Chris, when he’s in his, in his “little boy lost” mode.
PMWith his marriage on the rocks, Chris turned to his friend and confidante, “Dancing On Ice” judge Karen Barber.
[Shows clip of Karen sitting at the judge’s table beside Robin Cousins]
Karen Barber[Talking to a contestant (doesn’t show who, unfortunately) on “Dancing On Ice”] For me, you’re one of the top runners. You’re going to go all the way.
[Shows clip of judges giving scores to Beth Tweddle and Daniel Whiston on “Dancing On Ice” Series 8, Episode 1 (6[SUP]th[/SUP] January 2013):
Robin Cousins – 6.5
Karen Barber – 6.5
Ashley Roberts – 6.5
Jason Gardiner – 3.5]
Karen BarberJayne and I decided that one of us would stay. Chris was going through a hard time, one of us would stay, and we would alternate. Jayne having the children, I, I said, “Well, I only live locally, I can stay, because, obviously, he needs company.” We found ourselves in a, in a similar situation. Chris’ marriage had, had broken down and my marriage was… was not going well.
PMIn March 2010, the story broke.
Daniel WhistonHonestly, I think it would have been absolutely awful to wake up in the morning and see your private life splashed all over the paper.
Karen BarberIt was awkward, but it brought up that conversation that kinda pushed us into the direction of, “Well, that’s ridiculous… [Pause] … Is it ridiculous…?”
Phillip SchofieldThere’s something about… [Pause] …the ice… [Pause] …whether it’s the fumes from the fake tan, or whether, you know, it’s the amount of sequins. Whatever it is, there’s something about it that makes a human being rampant.
Daniel WhistonAll I know now is that they’re very happy together. And I’m really happy that they are.
Karen BarberThere’s so much that we have in common. And we think of it not as a relationship, but as a really long conversation, and I hope to be talking to him for years to come.

Studio

PMDoes the ice make you rampant, Chris?
[Laughter, led by JT]
[CD has a cheeky smile on his face]
CDPhillip’s been doing it for the last, er, 8 years as well
PMYeah. We all know how rampant he is, Rampant Schofield!
[JT laughs at same time]
PMErm, your second wife, another skater. You had 2 children, with Jill. When you realised this marriage was… [Pause] …ending as well, what did you feel about yourself?
CDOh, I was, it was horrible. Nobody wants to go through it. It, it’s difficult, but it does happen. The wonderful thing is that I do have a good relationship with Jill, a really good relationship, and the boys, erm, do not suffer. I live just round the corner, erm, so, erm, that’s all good.
PMYou’ve known Karen 40 years; what on Earth were you waiting for?!
[Laughter, led by JT]
[CD has a cheeky smile on his face]
PMWouldn’t it have been a lot easier if you’d just got together?
CDIt’s…
PM18 year olds.
CDTiming’s everything.
[Shows Karen in the audience]
CDI’m a different person from what I was 40 years ago. Now I’m a very mature, sensible, level-headed…
[Laughter, led by PM]
[JT shakes her head]
CD…got it right [inaudible]…
PMRampant ice skater
CD…rampant ice skater, apparently.
[Laughter, led by JT]
PM[To Karen Barber] Do you know about the back of the bus…
JTDabble
PM…dabble?
[Laughter]
CD[Inaudible] …that might have been a…
PMKaren, did you know about the dabble?
Karen BarberNo… [inaudible]
[Laughter, led by Karen Barber and JT]
Karen BarberIt’s OK
PMThe dabble has been greeted with an “OK”
[Some Laughter]
CDYeah, I think dabbling is OK, by the way.
[Laughter, led by PM]
PMDo you feel, Jayne, that he, he’s with the right person now?
JTYes
PMAnd that’s not to denigrate either of his ex-wives, but just to…
JTNo, no. I think he’s happier now than he’s been for a long time.
PMWhen you got the call, er, asking to do “Dancing On Ice”, you’d broken up professionally for a while, and this was a big moment…
CDNo, we’d broken up.
PMGo on.
CDWe’d finished. Er, Jayne was, em, going to have children, and I’d moved to America, yeah. That was, that was…
PMAnd you really both felt that is it?
CD [at same time][Inaudible] …change
CDThat was it, yeah.
PMHow did you feel about that, when you… [Inaudible]?
CDI mean, at the time, it all seemed, “This is what we’re doing.” But I think, after a short space of time, it was… [CD opens mouth wide, gasps, leans head back, then returns to position] … it was like you rushed towards this wall… [Puts hands up] …and crashed, and it’s like “Wow. Gosh. I didn’t know it was going to be like this!”
PMAnd the moment you were, you were back on a rink together – on national television, 11-12 million viewers, huge, huge hit – must have felt like, “We’re back!”
JTI was very nervous, but when you actually go out and hear the audience, I thought “Oh, yeah, this, this is OK.” Cos that’s what we were used to.
CDAnd we always have this moment just before we go, we hold hands…
[CD brings right hand over and takes hold of JT’s left hand, and squeezes it]
CD…and we squeeze and we look at each other and go…
[CD brings both their hands down, JT and CD look at each other, and they both nod once. They then separate hands, and bring them back into position]
[Awwws, turning to applause]
PMHow long can you carry on skating, realistically, at a reasonably good level, do you think?
JTI don’t know. I think as long as we’re enjoying it and as long as we feel fit enough to do it.
CDI don’t think we’re ever gonna have a moment again where we say, “This is the last one”
JT [at same time]I couldn’t cope with that again. It’s too hard.
CD [at same time]We wouldn’t do that again
PMI don’t think anybody wants you to.
CDNo. [Repositions himself on chair]
[A few groans, turning to applause]
PMIt’s been a real pleasure. Two great sporting heroes of this country, and it’s been a delight to get to know you both better. Thank you very much.
JTThank you.
CDThank you. [Reaches out and shakes PM’s hand]
[JT gets up and shakes PM’s hand, while at same time giving him a peck on the cheek]
[Applause and cheering]
[Roll Credits]