Piper Gilles Ready for first World Championships | Golden Skate

Piper Gilles Ready for first World Championships

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Mar 7, 2013

By: Piper Gilles

Some athletes find training for an event stressful. Others say it’s calming. We have so many emotions and so many questions: Did we do enough work on that one move we’ve had trouble with? What do I need to pack? Are my costumes still all sewn together?

It’s all made for a long couple of weeks leading up to the World Figure Skating Championships in London, Ont., for me and my ice dance partner, Paul Poirier.

We began our season way back in February of last year, and that’s both good and bad. It gave us lots of time to prepare, but it’s also hard to maintain focus for that many days. That’s especially evident at this stage of the season, when it’s so important to maintain that necessary drive and determination.

These last couple weeks have shown how much strength and willpower is needed. To keep my mind fresh and busy I’ve been looking ahead to next year by listening to new music and going to movies to try and get some inspiration. I mean, I love my current music and programs and all, but after doing them over and over and listening to our music over and over, it feels like it’s time to start fresh with new music and costumes. I know I’m super-excited about those new costumes! But the current countdown continues.

Our last few days of training have gone really well. Our bodies seem to be moving like they’re on autopilot, which is a good thing. They seem to do everything we have trained them to do. It means we’re ready to start the last hike to the top of the peak.

(Rest of the article here):

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskat...ating-world-championships-gilles-poirier.html

emdee

Final Flight
This is straight from the heart.
Looking forward to seeing Paul and Piper. The last time I saw their programs was when they introduced them at the scarborough show last august so I know they have come a long way.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I guess it would make more sense to think that she' s talking about the peak of their condition/ performance.

emdee

Final Flight
I think she is thinking that they will be skating with the best of the world so the top of the peak.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
They might be lucky to finish in the top 8.

Hmm..... D/W, V/M, P/B, W/P, C/L, I/K, B/S are our top seven in whatever order (you can definitely make an argument for W/P not being with this group, of course). There are four other teams at Worlds that have beaten them this season (R/T, C/B, Shibs, and Z/S). Yeah, lucky is the right word. Stranger things have happened, though.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Right. Always assuming everyone skates well, which is how I always look at it, I'm thinking anywhere from 10-13 would be good for them.