No "tantrums" for Davis and White | Page 2 | Golden Skate

No "tantrums" for Davis and White

On thinking about it, I think we are missing the headline writer's pun. He is using "on ice" to mean not doing something. Of course, to me:eek:: "put on ice" means to do something out on the ice....

?! Yes, that's it! The author of the piece must be shaking her head at those literal ice skating fans (like me) who were envisioning skaters stomping and cursing in the middle of their routines when things didn't go well. :laugh:

all that

Final Flight
On thinking about it, I think we are missing the headline writer's pun. He is using "on ice" to mean not doing something. Of course, to me:eek:: "put on ice" means to do something out on the ice....

I didn't miss it. I still think it's stupid. Figure skating is a serious sport. Focusing on wuzrobbing and tantrums only perpetuates the sterotype that it's nothing but sequins and drama.

kelli16

Spectator
What a waste of space!

How ridiculous! I was mad at myself for even reading the article after I got a taste of it. Then I saw this comment and am currently laughing out loud in the coffee shop (thanks Mathman!). I too was hoping for an actual tantrum... :laugh: Here's to hoping they're both perfect. I can't wait to see Carmen at its best. I'll probably have it on repeat on Youtube until next season!!

I know, right? From the headline I expected the article to say something like, Charlie missed a twizzle in practice and Meryl stopped on the ice and slapped him silly.

kittyhawk

Rinkside
Davis and White really don't strike me as the kind of people who do 'tantrums', even when they're disappointed.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Plushenko had a right to complain and he won the argument now with quads in sp and 2 quad longs from most of the top skaters. Not the horrible awful all triple nonsense of lysacek and his worthless now almost junior skate that won the 2010 Olympics. Now juniors do Lysaceks program easily and the scoring system had to be radically altered so you don't have junior men's skates winning the Olympics like Lysaceks did in 2010. So that does not exist with dw and vm because both of them are going for max difficulty and can respect each other while Lysaceks skate deserved no respect and no win.
Besides his jumps all Plushenko did in his program in Vancouver was mug his way through his skate. He had no transitions or footwork and his spins were average. He deserved to lose with that kind of program. He showed a total lack of even trying to do a balanced program.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^ Agree

Today's quad-centric programs also include better spins, footwork, transitions...

I haven't watched Plushenko's program in a while, but I seem to recall that many jumps weren't even executed in a way that I would mark with positive GOE.

No question, his content was more difficult. But it wasn't performed especially well, and it wasn't presented to the degree that some of his earlier work was.

It was a good program, but not exceptional.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Okay just to be a pot stirrer lol I hope one of the Russian teams develops quickly and wins in Sochi among their home fans :) Go I and K:) Then who cares about D and W or V and M. But seriously both are really amazing teams; I think they should share the gold in Sochi.

heyang

Record Breaker
^^^ Agree

Today's quad-centric programs also include better spins, footwork, transitions...

I haven't watched Plushenko's program in a while, but I seem to recall that many jumps weren't even executed in a way that I would mark with positive GOE.

No question, his content was more difficult. But it wasn't performed especially well, and it wasn't presented to the degree that some of his earlier work was.

It was a good program, but not exceptional.

I agree. Plushenko's jump content was more difficult, but the program was front loaded. Evan's jump content wasn't as high as Plushenko's, but he made up for the points every where else. It wasn't my favorite program of either skater, but Evan did a better job at ringing every point out of his program.

Since then, I believe the points have been adjusted to make quads more worthwhile, but it's still ice SKATING, not jumping IMHO. If Plushenko comes back, I'd like to see a program that's better choreographed, instead of just relying on jumps.

snsd

On the Ice
before I disliked meryl and charlie..... This article makes me hate them

I hope Tessa and Scott beat them so badly!

gmyers

Record Breaker
Besides his jumps all Plushenko did in his program in Vancouver was mug his way through his skate. He had no transitions or footwork and his spins were average. He deserved to lose with that kind of program. He showed a total lack of even trying to do a balanced program.

By being an all triple skater lysacek didn't even have a real program. 1998 winner quad. 2002 winner quad, 2006 winner quads. Lysacek didn't have a balanced program. It was extremely regressive on jumps. now people do quads in sp and lp in much greater numbers than before because capping the jumps at triples in men's is ridiculous in men's skating . Plushenko did his quad triple and all his triples. He did level 3 and 4 spins and steps. He had a great personality filled performance with choreography that was so unique. He did everything and lost. He had the balanced program. His layout of jumps was 5/3 to Lysaceks quad free 3/5. Who cares. He didn't do a quad.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Plushenko had transitions too. Just not nonsense inman transitions which are Nothing but movement for the sake of movement that mean nothing.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I agree. Plushenko's jump content was more difficult, but the program was front loaded. Evan's jump content wasn't as high as Plushenko's, but he made up for the points every where else. It wasn't my favorite program of either skater, but Evan did a better job at ringing every point out of his program.

Since then, I believe the points have been adjusted to make quads more worthwhile, but it's still ice SKATING, not jumping IMHO. If Plushenko comes back, I'd like to see a program that's better choreographed, instead of just relying on jumps.

This whole post is just why step sequences got reduced to one in the sp and why the second one in the lp became level 1 choreo step. Men were just saying "I'll never do a quad again!! I'll stop training them and just do nonsense all triple programs and get points with spins and steps and just do whatever meaningless movemnts to get pcs high in transitions". Luckily and for the good of the sport they revised urs and increased quad value and decreased step sequence value and hanged goe so men and judges would go not get to the point again where a man could actually win worlds and an Olympics by not doing quads. 2008 -2010 worst years for men's skating ever.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Now men do layouts of 3/5 and even 2/6 with 2 quads so don't give me some nonsense that Lysaceks 3/5 all triple was worth anything and actually made him any kind of better than plushenko.

lavender

Record Breaker
I don't get why people are mad at meryl and charlie for this article. I can see being annoyed with the author.

ForeverFish

Medalist
I thought that Meryl and Charlie handled their disappointment with incredible class and grace. The "journalism" displayed by the author was pathetic.

meem

On the Ice
before I disliked meryl and charlie..... This article makes me hate them

I hope Tessa and Scott beat them so badly!

Well if they do beat D/W let's hope they can do so w/o resorting to a rest stop midway through their FD.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well if they do beat D/W let's hope they can do so w/o resorting to a rest stop midway through their FD.

:laugh::laugh:

Seriously, I care more about seeing two "dances for the ages" than I do about who wins (although, of course, I'd love to see my home team win)...

but that was an awesome slapdown to a childish comment.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Awww. And they say such nice things about you. :)

This. To be entirely honest, I've never understood "hate" for skaters. There are certainly skaters whose styles/jumps/artistry/competitive attitudes I don't like, but I don't presume to know them well enough to dislike them personally. And I respect all of them for the effort they put into their sport.