No "tantrums" for Davis and White | Golden Skate

No "tantrums" for Davis and White

figuristka

Medalist
Love both couples but this article angers me the way its written. Both V/M and D/W have a right to feel they did everything they could to win, and find it hard to be second best when they put their heart into it. However the writer putting out statements like they were robbed and should be going for a hat trick, and no one would have blamed them for a hissy fit is ridiculous and also how does the author know every men woman and child inside the arena thought they won? She is just as bad as Dimanno. Best to be ignored.

apple123

On the Ice
USFSA at its finest, Bravo!

While we are at it, why don't we talk about the 2011 WC? Do D/W really deserve the one and only Gold with V/M being the obvious superior at that time? Hat trick what?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm surprised Reuters ran that article. In fact, I can't figure out why they did.

CAS

On the Ice
I'm surprised Reuters ran that article. In fact, I can't figure out why they did.

This is why:
"Losing certainly ignites our fire and after what happened last year, it will be helpful to be able to say we are the reigning world champions heading into the Olympic year, especially since Scott and Tessa are the reigning Olympic champions.

They are doing all they can to counteract the advantage they perceive V&M to have skating at home. Understandable, they want to win and want to better their odds with off ice chatter. At the start of the season we learn they have conquered their one and only weakness (connection) then we learn last week London is also Meryl´s hometown and now we are reminded that everyone and their dog think they were robbed in Nice so the only fair thing to do is send in one team as the reigning Olympic Champions and the other team as the reigning World Champions. All fine and well within their rights but can we now stop pretending they are any better or more gracious than V&M. :laugh:

I feel sorry for Marina next season :laugh: The only question left is who gets Romeo and Juliet and who gets Anthony and Cleopatra.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's a pretty splashy headline for such a mild little article.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It's by the same journalist, Pritha Sarkar, who wrote the controversial "Patrick Chan trapped between two worlds" article before the December 2011 Grand Prix Final: http://in.reuters.com/article/2011/...feedName=everything&virtualBrandChannel=11709

Ahhh, so Reuters has its very own version of Rosie Di Manno, this Pritha Sarkar person , who apparently is a pot-stirrer & tabloidist.

It would be nice to think that USFSA cared enough about ice dance to do some politicking for it, but they would ditch all of D&W's chances to get one spot higher for Ashley Wagner; that dog won't hunt, I think.

Plus, there's no way that anyone involved with PR for D&W would let something out with such an unflattering headline; it appears that they (and Chan) should just have said no when asked for an interview by this person. So should any other skater.

Icey

Record Breaker
Considering the comments given by the readers, time for an "International Congress on the State of FS"

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Thank you CAS and figurista for capturing my feelings. This kind of article stokes the fire. I actually have this fantasy of both teams getting identical scores in the short and long. I have no idea what they would do. I plan to loudly applaud both teams, no what the outcome.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I hope both teams skate their program perfectly; that would be my personal fantasy, too :)

KKonas

Medalist
What does Plushenko have to do with it? :rofl:

I guess the writer was comparing Plushenko’s outburst (tantrum) after losing gold at the 2010 OWG to the measured response (no tantrum) always given by Davis & White especially when they lose (2009 Worlds, 2012 Worlds). The headline was intended to grab attention although a bit misleading as Mathman suggests. Don’t know Ms. Sarkar, but I don’t see why Reuters wouldn’t print the article. Apparently Ms. Sarkar was at Worlds in Nice and related what others there felt was a wrong decision. USFS had nothing to do with specifically commissioning the article. It routinely offers teleconferences to accredited media with its leading competitors prior to major skating events. So does Skate Canada. I doubt that IMG (Davis & White's) agent had anything to do with the headline or the article.

mare

Rinkside
There are many things people can choose to believe about D&W but being stupid isn't among them. Nobody can believe that this is something they intended.

That's a pretty splashy headline for such a mild little article.

I know, right? From the headline I expected the article to say something like, Charlie missed a twizzle in practice and Meryl stopped on the ice and slapped him silly.

I guess the writer was comparing Plushenko’s outburst (tantrum) after losing gold at the 2010 OWG...

I would hardly call Pkushenko's comments a tantrum. He basically said, "I annihilated the fool (Lysacek), but the judges didn't give it to me. Oh well, that's skating."

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
On thinking about it, I think we are missing the headline writer's pun. He is using "on ice" to mean not doing something. Of course, to me:eek:: "put on ice" means to do something out on the ice....

gmyers

Record Breaker
Plushenko had a right to complain and he won the argument now with quads in sp and 2 quad longs from most of the top skaters. Not the horrible awful all triple nonsense of lysacek and his worthless now almost junior skate that won the 2010 Olympics. Now juniors do Lysaceks program easily and the scoring system had to be radically altered so you don't have junior men's skates winning the Olympics like Lysaceks did in 2010. So that does not exist with dw and vm because both of them are going for max difficulty and can respect each other while Lysaceks skate deserved no respect and no win.