Yuna Kim - 2013 version | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim - 2013 version

steyn

On the Ice
Yuna Kim has competed in 31 international competitions in her competitive skating career. She medaled in all of them. And she won the vast majority of them, with 22 gold medals. She also won all 6 South Korean nationals she entered. I don't really have a point. Just throwing those facts out there while gaping at them. :eek:
Even more astonishing (at least to me) is that she won SP or FS of each and every competition in her entire senior career. In other words, in 21 international competitions Yuna has participated, no one has ever been able to dominate a single competition. No matter how she was injured or not, she has never been completely defeated by the rest of skaters. I think this record is harder to break than 100% podium result. If Junior results are included Yuna lost twice to Mao in both SP and FS on 2004-2005 season (JGPF and Worlds).

You know what was cool about Yu-na's LP at Worlds? It was a 6.0 program. The only concession to CoP was +2T+2Lo tacked on to something or other. Except for that, this program was in the spirit of Michelle Kwan's Aranjuez at 2003 Worlds or her Tosca at 2004 U.S. Nationals. Takin' care of business. :love:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
You know what was cool about Yu-na's LP at Worlds? It was a 6.0 program. The only concession to CoP was +2T+2Lo tacked on to something or other. Except for that, this program was in the spirit of Michelle Kwan's Aranjuez at 2003 Worlds or her Tosca at 2004 U.S. Nationals. Takin' care of business. :love:

yes!!!:thumbsup: Probably this is the reason why I love it so much!!!

bmelanie

On the Ice
I believe she was willing to experiment with other choreographers when David suggested it right before her break-up with Orser. She'll go to David Wilson first, so it's really up to David, I think, if he wants to suggest someone else for one of her programs. She's worked with Dickson and Buttle before, and she's worked with Sandra Bezic with one her galas.

Gah, I hope David comes up with great programs for Sochi. It's a credit to Yuna that she pulled off two programs that, in any other skater's hands, could have been blech. I don't think David's going to try another Danse Macabre or Scheherazade just because he's so endlessly creative and unconventional when it comes to Yuna's programs and music choices, but my god I'd love to see another Lark Ascending.

Ven

Match Penalty
Gah, I hope David comes up with great programs for Sochi. It's a credit to Yuna that she pulled off two programs that, in any other skater's hands, could have been blech. I don't think David's going to try another Danse Macabre or Scheherazade just because he's so endlessly creative and unconventional when it comes to Yuna's programs and music choices, but my god I'd love to see another Lark Ascending.

As a big Yuna fan, I hope she has some unique and special programs next year for 2014. Kind of like they wanted to do with Homage Korea a couple of years ago ... something that is more of a goodbye for her. I can't imagine it would be meaningful to skate to two commercialized or rehashed programs and try to score 250 and win by 50 points. What would be the point?...Yuna is in an other-worldly category now by herself, I hope for something much more meaningful.

Ven

Match Penalty
Thank you! Just a lurker until now, but decided to post because I'm very happy for Yuna that she won last night with such a beautiful performance, even against her own standards.

skateluvr

Record Breaker

Lark was one skate that moves me and I will watch again. Forgive me ubers, I truly wish she skated with deeper emotion, but maybe life has been so easy. I honestly saw very little skating 2006-1010. But after Olympics went back and studied Yuna. I was more of an Asada Rochette fan based on skating skills/choreo. Were I S.Korean, I'd vote for her for president. I hope Yuna, after Sochi, does some shows to keep herself madly popular, then enrolls in school full time like her Idol, does grad degree in anything. Intl relations would be great, or Human resources management-whatever helps broaden her thinking. I hope this generous young Catholic girl sees how much she could accomplish in Korea and in Asia. Skating will be over except for shows, and this serious uoung woman will I hope dee how much power and good she can accomplish. Perhaps extended travel with UN type credentials. I just know this girl could be so effective in helping people. She is an Asian Princess Diana at heart,

She is not my favorite and I don't agree with the 2010 overscoring but get ready for Sochi. I think she will repeat, and I felt this before worlds. She is training 6 hours a day to win gold. Coolest competitor there is. She is like Witt and Kwan, though not outgoing like them. Yuna knows she can win gold. If she is consistent like this and the jumps are solid in the run up I think they'll give it to her. Carolina without two mistakes might have won. No one is cool headed like yuna. Jumps and mental toughness are her winners.

skatel80

On the Ice
I was so impressed by yuna at worlds, It was wonderful to watchm it all looked so easy for her :) I have never been a big fan of yuna but I really respect her amazing skating and I enjoy watching her, I really didnt like the short but the long is a great progeam and the music really works for her

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I agree about the short. I don't like the music, hated the costume, just a very forgetable program. I noticed a lot of the same upper body movement in SP and LP. The LP of course has fantastic music that many a skater has done well with. She clearly is working very hard every day. I can't say her LP compared with others I simply enjoyed more but she skated very well. What competitions will she likely do next year leading into Sochi?

cooper

Medalist
^I believe she will participate in the GP series... but i would love to see her in TEB and probably in cup of china..

as for her programs.. i'm hoping david will come up something different.. something new.. and even something risky.

christinaskater

Medalist

Absolutely agreed on this post!

Layfan

Record Breaker
I watched Kim Yu-na's LP live (my first live skating event YAY!!!!) and ... geez. There was no contest and she left everyone in the dust. It's like everyone has always told me - you can't fully appreciate speed and ice coverage until you see the event live. I think also that Yu-na has improved artistically since 2010. She was always a fanatastic artist in my eyes because of her musicality but now there's more emotion and she gave me shivers, the way Michelle Kwan and Sasha Cohen used to. I was high up in the stands across from the judges and from there you really appreciate the skaters who can reach out to you.

The only one who came close was Carolina, who was pretty much just as majestic as Kim Yu-na and the crowd adored her and her Bolero program. She is now one of my very favorites. The nosebleed only endeared her more to the audince, of course. The mistakes, not so much. I was a little surprised at how high her score but she was definitely my second-favorite skater of the night and I suppose her mistakes weren't all that costly compared to the points she racked up elsewhere.

Mao Asada was lovely too. It's too bad she didn't nail her program because she fell short of breathtaking. Of course, she isn't has fast as Yuna or Carolina but I think if she had nailed her jumps she would have gotten the crowd more into her skate and her exquisiteness would have shone through even more. I wish I could see more spiral sequences from her. There's a place where she could really set herself apart from Yu-na and Caro. But I was sooo happy that she pulled up to 3rd.

BTW, I was very happy to see that both of the USA ladies also had very good ice presence. The crowd went totally nuts for Gracie. More so than for Ashley, I suppose because Gracie is new and exciting but Ashley would have probably also gotten a great reception had she nailed her program. Bummer about the random fall but it was great to see the two US ladies but good competitors and good fighters. and of course, yay for them for getting the third spot back. Hurray!!

Sorry for the tagent on a Yu-na thread. I'm so thrilled that she's back and that I got to see her LIVE!!!!!!

ordinary person

On the Ice
I watched Kim Yu-na's LP live (my first live skating event YAY!!!!) and ... geez. There was no contest and she left everyone in the dust. It's like everyone has always told me - you can't fully appreciate speed and ice coverage until you see the event live. I think also that Yu-na has improved artistically since 2010. She was always a fanatastic artist in my eyes because of her musicality but now there's more emotion and she gave me shivers, the way Michelle Kwan and Sasha Cohen used to. I was high up in the stands across from the judges and from there you really appreciate the skaters who can reach out to you.

The only one who came close was Carolina, who was pretty much just as majestic as Kim Yu-na and the crowd adored her and her Bolero program. She is now one of my very favorites. The nosebleed only endeared her more to the audince, of course. The mistakes, not so much. I was a little surprised at how high her score but she was definitely my second-favorite skater of the night and I suppose her mistakes weren't all that costly compared to the points she racked up elsewhere.

Mao Asada was lovely too. It's too bad she didn't nail her program because she fell short of breathtaking. Of course, she isn't has fast as Yuna or Carolina but I think if she had nailed her jumps she would have gotten the crowd more into her skate and her exquisiteness would have shone through even more. I wish I could see more spiral sequences from her. There's a place where she could really set herself apart from Yu-na and Caro. But I was sooo happy that she pulled up to 3rd.

BTW, I was very happy to see that both of the USA ladies also had very good ice presence. The crowd went totally nuts for Gracie. More so than for Ashley, I suppose because Gracie is new and exciting but Ashley would have probably also gotten a great reception had she nailed her program. Bummer about the random fall but it was great to see the two US ladies but good competitors and good fighters. and of course, yay for them for getting the third spot back. Hurray!!

Sorry for the tagent on a Yu-na thread. I'm so thrilled that she's back and that I got to see her LIVE!!!!!!

I agree about Yuna, i was quite skeptical at first mainly because i thought she wouldn't be able to perform a triple/double/double even though she did a 2axel/2toe/2loop.
I take my words back now, she really has improved, i wonder if she'll participate in Skate Canada which she hasn't won yet if i'm correct.

MasterB

Final Flight
I don't get it.

Yes Yuna is great but, I don't see her being 50 points ahead of anyone. Same thing with Chan. The program was not in anyway a choreographic masterpiece. I thought Caro's program was more detailed.

But, Yes Yuna was the clear winner (except maybe the little chinese girl, who had way more jumps and better spins).

I thought the judges had it right in the short program. Almost anyone in the top 6 could have won the competition.

MiRé

Match Penalty
I don't get it.

Yes Yuna is great but, I don't see her being 50 points ahead of anyone. Same thing with Chan. The program was not in anyway a choreographic masterpiece. I thought Caro's program was more detailed.

But, Yes Yuna was the clear winner (except maybe the little chinese girl, who had way more jumps and better spins).

I thought the judges had it right in the short program. Almost anyone in the top 6 could have won the competition.

more like 21 points.........which I think it's possible since Yuna skated a clean program whereas Caro popped her loop, and fell on 3S which was downgraded. that's like 10 points right there. Plus Yuna gets better GOE's than Caro.

Cherryy

On the Ice
I don't get it.

My thought exactly. I'm not questioning Yuna's win, it was 150% deserved. But do you all think it's fair she can make such a big lead in the GOE alone that noone else is practically able to beat her? Was her program really about 15-20 points better than skaters from 2-4 places? I just want to know your opinion with at least short justification if possible. Maybe I'm missing sth, idk.