2013 Worlds-Mens SP | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds-Mens SP

Art&Sport

Medalist
This channel has some of them.

Thanks much.

Beautiful skate, Patrick. I love how he's the one who gets all the attention for bad judging. He is not even the most overscored of the day. It pays to have a lead, I guess.

If you actually had a chance or the time to read all the comments in this thread, you will find plenty of posters remarking on over-scoring of other men, well before Pat even hit the ice for his warm-up. Again, why does everyone else have to party for Patrick in order for his die-hard fans to enjoy his success??

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Patrick and Dai Imo the class of the field tonight. I don't care what the numbers are to me they were simply the best.

lavender

Record Breaker
I absolutely do not get what all the hoopla is about Hanyu. He's not even the most interesting or talented of the Japanese skaters, much less the cream of the world crop.

I feel like I'm on another planet concerning this guy. He's clearly got the attention of the judges and fans.

Maybe it's that damn Winnie the Pooh Kleenex box. It makes me want to steal his lunch money and shove him in a locker.

I have to agree with you. He's good, talented and I like him but I don't get it...yet. There is something about his curved back and lower body that makes me not fully jump on the wagon but hey I think he's better than 4 or 5 skaters that are ahead of him right now.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't really speak for others, but what got me on the bandwagon was his FS from last year's worlds. That was a champion-in-the-making skate and I've been waiting ever since for him to recapture that magic. He has shown some flashes of brilliance this season, especially in the SP, but something is missing. It doesn't really help that his FS this year is totally unmemorable when (inevitably) compared to last year's Romeo & Juliet.

Of course he is going to seem immature compared to others, but you also have to take into account that he's just 18 - he has time to grow artistically and the potential is there (as well as the big jumps, which always helps).

OK, I went back and rewatched his short.

The SP has three jumping passes... he falls on an underrotation and fails to complete the combination because of a badly leaning first jump that results in a hand down to prevent another fall. I must say the 3A was excellent, especially the entry.

The spins were good, not exceptional but solid. His "in-betweens" included a spread eagle that was of marginal quality.

He is musical.

Still not getting it... but I'm willing to "get it" if he'll show me.

Art&Sport

Medalist
True, when will TAT stop interfering. First she instructs B/S to use Tosca, second she recommends a snoozefest for R/T and then she pulls a 17 year old kid into a gladiator ring. He's not ready yet!! He could have so ended his season on a much greater high if he went to junior worlds. (Although, I hope he redeems himself in the long) Didn't they learn anything from the ridiculous hype and pressure they put on I/K IN 2010.:scowl:

True it's not Kovtun's fault. Trial by fire and if he has what it takes in him to be a champion, he will still get there some day. But this season, he might've been a Junior World champion or at the least a medalist. What the Russian fed did was unnecessary and unforgiveable.

USFS made a noticeable gamble/ mistake in 2011 due to Ryan B love, and it didn't work out so well either. U.S. men are still scrambling to get back a third spot. It hurt the U.S. men's rep further for them not sending Abbott to Worlds in 2011. It took away momentum and confidence from Abbott which he has also struggled to get back. Not saying Abbott would have overcome his jitters at big comps, but he had more of an opportunity to do so in 2011 and to lead a stronger U.S. men's team in 2011 than ever since.

Menshov should have been given the deserving chance to perform respectably well and to place higher here than Kovtun has placed so far.

Menshov is probably Laughing Now...

Menshov is too classy of a guy to be laughing at Kovtun. Menshov deserved to be here. That's it, that's all.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Wow didn`t see this happening. some comments. Yay for Denis Ten - nice work. And kudos to Reynolds. However Tak and Fernandez are easily close enough to beat Reynolds and probably Ten as well with Ten`s inconsistent nature. Tak is definitely not out. It is interesting just about when it is time to say farewell to Joubert he comes back with a great skate though admittedly as hinted from the past like 90`s or something. He is kind of like those trick birthday candles - a nuisance - they just won`t blow out and come back kind oflike those weeds in your garden.

I am not so sure how much national pride or inflation there is for Chan and Reynolds as they did skate well.

I am going to say I am fed up with those saying Chan was overmarked. The way he skated tonite deserved higher marks than Hanyu`s best yet they were not. Why - well if Chan can match Hanyu technically his pcs should be higher. So if anything Chan was undermarked.

As for Reynolds I do think he needs work but others faltered badly tonite. do not worry about the Japanese men they will all move up no problem. AS for javier I truly hope he does well but I also don`t want a fluke win at olys. chan or Tak deserve the throne moreso but life is not fair.

Sad about Kovotun, Verner and Mura. Hanyu the prince might need a bit of luck to regain his throne.

wallylutz

Medalist
OMG. That is behind Reynolds... WTH?

Answer to WTH: Takahashi made 3 errors, one major and two minor errors. Major being the 4T< and two footed. Minor #1 = Losing balance with free foot coming down early on the 3Lz+3T combo. Minor #2 = Losing speed on the CCSp after the change of the foot.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Menshov should have been given the deserving chance to perform respectably well and to place higher here than Kovtun has placed so far.

Menshov is too classy of a guy to be laughing at Kovtun. Menshov deserved to be here. That's it, that's all.

This outcome was expected, sending a 17 year old inexperienced to a huge battleground, I even had it in my dream his score was only a 60+, lol
true Menshov probably would have placed higher, he has been consistent throughout the Season

yuki

Final Flight
OK, I went back and rewatched his short.

The SP has three jumping passes... he falls on an underrotation and fails to complete the combination because of a badly leaning first jump that results in a hand down to prevent another fall. I must say the 3A was excellent, especially the entry.

The spins were good, not exceptional but solid. His "in-betweens" included a spread eagle that was of marginal quality.

He is musical.

Still not getting it... but I'm willing to "get it" if he'll show me.

Much better short from earlier this season: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGb7gXGlSY0
Last year's FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFECk7AFMRo

starryxskies

On the Ice
Congrats to Patrick and Dai Imo the class of the field tonight. I don't care what the numbers are to me they were simply the best.

They are the class of the field on any given night.

Looking back, Javier got way underscored given the scores of the skaters after him. Granted, he's not too far behind right now but who can disagree that he would be far closer to the podium if he were in final group or even farther behind in his second last group?

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Chan was absolutely magnificent. I was so impressed with Denis Ten's skate as well & of course, I'm very happy with Max Aaron's current placement. What a night. I'm exhausted & I only watched it on TV!

yuki

Final Flight
I am going to say I am fed up with those saying Chan was overmarked. The way he skated tonite deserved higher marks than Hanyu`s best yet they were not. Why - well if Chan can match Hanyu technically his pcs should be higher. So if anything Chan was undermarked.

Because numbers are fun:

- Hanyu's PB is 95.32 at NHK Trophy 2012 (TES: 53.03, PCS: 42.29)
- Patrick's PB (as of today): 98.37 (TES: 52.70, PCS: 45.67) -> so, lower TES, higher PCS, higher overall

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S SHORT PROGRAM - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Patrick CHAN (CAN) - 98.37 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
2. Denis TEN (KAZ) - 91.56 Short Program, 2nd Copy
3. Kevin REYNOLDS (CAN) - 85.16 Short Program, 2nd Copy
4. Daisuke TAKAHASHI (JPN) - 84.67 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
5. Brian JOUBERT (FRA) - 84.17 Short Program, 2nd Copy
6. Michal BREZINA (CZE) - 83.09 Short Program, 2nd Copy
7. Javier FERNANDEZ (ESP) - 80.76 Short Program, 2nd Copy
8. Max AARON (USA) - 78.20 Short Program
9. Yuzuru HANYU (JPN) - 75.94 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
10. Florent AMODIO (FRA) - 75.73 Short Program, 2nd Copy
11. Takahito MURA (JPN) - 73.46 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
12. Nan SONG (CHN) - 73.03
13. Peter LIEBERS (GER) - 71.20 Short Program
14. Ross MINER (USA) - 70.24 Short Program
15. Misha GE (UZB) - 68.45
16. Alexander MAJOROV (SWE) - 68.32 Short Program
17. Tomas VERNER (CZE) - 68.05 Short Program
18. Andrei ROGOZINE (CAN) - 67.35
19. Maxim KOVTUN (RUS) - 65.85 Short Program
20. Viktor ROMANENKOV (EST) - 65.33 Short Program
21. Viktor PFEIFER (AUT) - 64.10
22. Justus STRID (DEN) - 63.25 Short Program
23. Jorik HENDRICKX (BEL) - 62.04
24. Yakov GODOROZHA (UKR) - 61.88
25. Maciej CIEPLUCHA (POL) - 60.96 Short Program
26. Jin Seo KIM (KOR) - 60.75 Short Program
27. Paolo BACCHINI (ITA) - 60.31 Short Program
28. Abzal RAKIMGALIEV (KAZ) - 59.14
29. Zoltan KELEMEN (ROU) - 58.24 Short Program
30. Ronald LAM (HKG) - 57.94 Short Program
31. Alexei BYCHENKO (ISR) - 57.53 Short Program
32. Kim LUCINE (MON) - 57.35
33. Paul Bonifacio PARKINSON (ITA) - 51.54 Short Program
34. Christopher CALUZA (PHI) - 49.15

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
To give credit to Patrick, he did utter a "95?" with a shake of his shoulders right before the score came up as a "98". So even he thought it would have been around a 95.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Wow didn`t see this happening. some comments. Yay for Denis Ten - nice work. And kudos to Reynolds. However Tak and Fernandez are easily close enough to beat Reynolds and probably Ten as well with Ten`s inconsistent nature. Tak is definitely not out. It is interesting just about when it is time to say farewell to Joubert he comes back with a great skate though admittedly as hinted from the past like 90`s or something. He is kind of like those trick birthday candles - a nuisance - they just won`t blow out and come back kind oflike those weeds in your garden.

I am not so sure how much national pride or inflation there is for Chan and Reynolds as they did skate well.

As for Reynolds I do think he needs work but others faltered badly tonite. do not worry about the Japanese men they will all move up no problem. AS for javier I truly hope he does well but I also don`t want a fluke win at olys. chan or Tak deserve the throne moreso but life is not fair.

Sad about Kovotun, Verner and Mura. Hanyu the prince might need a bit of luck to regain his throne.

It's not about Patrick deserving to score higher than Hanyu did this season. The point, IMHO, is that neither of them deserved the high record-breaking scores they received in the 95 and 98 range in sp scoring this season.

And, btw, the crown was not sitting too easily on Hanyu's head, nor was his seat on the throne all that secure. Hanyu has shown inconsistencies this season and been forgiven for them by the judges. I don't think that's ever good for judges to do. Skaters should have a more clearly defined sense of what they need to work on. Under CoP scoring, it's all a crapshoot, and that's how the men seem to skate too often these days ... just like it's a crapshoot rather than a figure skating competition.

marcolee925

Rinkside
What a rotten event! Still, given how everyone skated, I think the results are fair.

Chan kept it together despite a subpar season so far and being under huge pressure, I say bravo. Hanyu got 95 for his short at Skate America (?) so I don't think 98 for what Chan gave today is unreasonable. Besides the slightest bobble on the 4toe landing, everything was foot perfect.

Well done Ten! He is due for a strong event. When was his last good one? Still, I don't know how to feel about KAZ qualifying 3 men for Sochi.

While Takahashi's URs were visible even to the naked eye, I would still have him (and Joubert and maybe even Brezina) ahead of Reynolds. They just move so much better. Plus all of Reynolds' jumps are flawed one way or another.

Bummed that Fernandez popped the axel but I am sure he will come back very strongly in the free. He is within striking distance of a medal and I think he will get it.

Aaron's skating hurts my soul. He is the Joubert without SS and the Plushenko without charisma. Still, I hope he hangs onto top ten and retain two spots for US men at Sochi. I actually think a top 6 finish is very likely for him.

Hanyu usually messes up one segment per competition, so hopefully he can rebound in the free.

For some time I have felt that Amodio did not want it. It almost seemed like he didn't care about competition. He only wanted to entertain. There is just so little focus on his part and he never seemed that hungry.

Despite being utterly stiff and boring, I am glad Song is hanging onto the penultimate group (at the expense of Miner!!). I hope the Chinese Fed is realizing what a big mistake they have made keeping Yan Han home.

I have nothing else to say about Verner. Sigh.

I didn't expect this placement for Kovtun but he is only 10 points from 10th place. It isn't impossible if he could do what he did at Euros. For the record I despise his skating but still think he is the best bet to fight for a second spot for Russian men at Sochi.

My prediction:

Gold: Chan (duh)
Silver: Fernandez
Bronze: Hanyu
4th: Aaron
5th: Ten
6th: Reynolds
7th: Joubert
8th: Takahashi
9th: Brezina
10th: Mura

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
marcolee, Kazakhstan has two men - their first didn't qualify for the free skate. So Ten will only qualify two men should he stay in the top ten.