2013 Worlds - Pairs SP | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds - Pairs SP

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Congrats on such a high level of skating, especially by the Canadian pairs! :clap:

This is ridiculous. This is supposed to be the technical program. There was an error on the SBS for V/T (with a +1 GOE from one judge!?!) and a perfectly executed program by D/R (and MT-M) with SBS 3-lutzes.

To put it in perspective, this was a personal best for V/T. So, they've never performed a better SP, even with the error?! :confused: And for those saying the Germans were robbed on PCS and should have had higher PCS to put them ahead of D/R, this is why figure skating is getting such flack.

You would wonder how many times V/T and the Germans would have to fall to be off the podium. What's the point of even doing elements if people are saying teams have far superior PCS that should entitle them to higher placements and "cushions" when they make errors.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Haven't you read the warning below? Unless the green light for talks about skaters' appearance depends on the country they represent.

Talking about a costume is different than calling a person ugly. If someone told me my dress today is ugly I would be a bit upset I guess, but it would not be like they said you are the ugliest office person here.

:cry: This is kinda true. It must be frustrating for them, to dominate the sport the way they did but by the time Olympics come, the new favorite couple takes the crown. I can't believe S/S lost the Olympic SP to S/Z. I am afraid no matter what they do, the Olympic gold is unreachable for them

Oh well when following a sport that's judged crap like this is something we have to get used to. :/

Talking about a costume is different than calling a person ugly. If someone told me my dress today is ugly I would be a bit upset I guess, but it would not be like they said you are the ugliest office person here.

I can't believe this actually needs to be explained.

flutzy13

On the Ice
I've been saying since Nationals that I would be VERY surprised if we placed a pair team in the top 10. I'm very happy to see Canada sitting in the silver position right now though and hope they can maintain it. US Pairs is in a world of hurt. Our teams dont' stay together long enough to really mature as a couple. Denney and Coughlin were our brightest hope before his injury. Looking forward to next year!

I think one of the American pairs could squeak into 9 or 10 with a clean skate and some help. I was encouraged by S/K. No huge errors and it was an overall solid debut for a first-year pair both making their Worlds debut after her recent injury. I thought their score should have been a little higher. I would not be surprised if they passed C/S next year if they get some outside choreo.

Last edited:
This is ridiculous. This is supposed to be the technical program.

It's a short program where the elements factor slightly more than the PCS, in comparison to the FS, and where mistakes on the elements are more punishing.

But both elements and the program components count because it's figure skating.

Skating a clean program alone doesn't entitle you to victory.

Irina89

On the Ice
I think it was one of the best Pairs Sp competition in years...a great night overall...I also believe that the current ranking is the correct one...still surprised about S/S showing...is any of them injured? At least for me, their program seems like years away from their "usual"...About D/R...I am just curios...how is it possible for a girl in pairs to land a fully rotated 3L, while so many girls in single are struggling with that jump...I don't understand B/L low score...ten points lower than at the GPF only because of the single jump?

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Kind of sad for S/S (yes, national-bias here) but on the other hand I really don't think this is their best season. Programs and Execution - they can do better. Much better. They won't win this obviously and I hope that they will find their form and hopefully much better programs in their next season. Hopefully the gap between them and V/T will be getting closer so there is some excitement in this still for the Olympics. With the gap getting bigger as it is now, this is unlikely though.

I am just curios...how is it possible for a girl in pairs to land a fully rotated 3L, while so many girls in single are struggling with that jump...

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00005611.htm

Duhamel skated in singles at the international level placing 13th at Junior Worlds and 5th at Four Continents.

She has all the triples up to the lutz (and so does Radford).

I really hope they will risk 3flip/2toe/2toe in the FS next season.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
No, sweatheart, FF was checking out Alyona's buttcheeks, not her costume. Well, at least it means that she doesn't have the ugliest ones in the "office". Otherwise he wouldn't bother to check them out. :laugh:

jamie

On the Ice
^^^ Look at Kawaguchi and Smirnov, they have ZERO chance of even a bronze. Infact, their own block are pulling against them to the point that I'd be surprised to even see them in SOchi.
When I feel :drama: about results, I just think of 02, and not because of the SLC debacle, but because of the world chaps that came after. In spite of being revealed to the world as a politiking/bought the block sham in the Olympic games, the audacity of the judges to move onto worlds (Nagano?) a month later and buy the block for Chaitsaks, sellout out Drobiasko.....AND ditching Pettikhs in favour of Ina and Zimmerman!!! Two of the biggest robberies in the sport, at the same champs and only a month after the SLC scandal!!! :scream:

Then came 04 and Germany pulled out all the stocks buying Lindenmann a bronze (hilarious) and , it's almost difficult to type, Winkler and Lohse the Bronze with a veritable nursery rhyme of a Free dance. IIRC they should have been about 11th on the free. At least the sport has improved SLIGHTLY!

let`s talk

Match Penalty
You would wonder how many times V/T and the Germans would have to fall to be off the podium. What's the point of even doing elements if people are saying teams have far superior PCS that should entitle them to higher placements and "cushions" when they make errors.
You do realize what an irony it is to hear about PCS cushions from CanadianSkaterGuy? :biggrin:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00005611.htm

Duhamel skated in singles at the international level placing 13th at Junior Worlds and 5th at Four Continents.

She has all the triples up to the lutz (and so does Radford).

I really hope they will risk 3flip/2toe/2toe in the FS next season.

Yup, she came 5th at 4CC, even landing a 2A-3T! It's too bad that even with higher technical content they're still held back on PCS (or rather, the Russians and Germans are given high PCS regardless of what they do).

I also don't understand why people are saying there was a Canadian block to guarantee their current placements. Both teams skated well, and skated technically the best of the field.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
B/L were lowballed in PCS
looking more at 2 Canadians in the podium with D/H getting silver and MT/M gets the bronze if S/S makes more mistakes

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Congrats on such a high level of skating, especially by the Canadian pairs! :clap:

This is ridiculous. This is supposed to be the technical program. There was an error on the SBS for V/T (with a +1 GOE from one judge!?!) and a perfectly executed program by D/R (and MT-M) with SBS 3-lutzes.

To put it in perspective, this was a personal best for V/T. So, they've never performed a better SP, even with the error?! :confused: And for those saying the Germans were robbed on PCS and should have had higher PCS to put them ahead of D/R, this is why figure skating is getting such flack.

you realize Canada has a Pairs judge and Tech Controller right ? talk about the pot calling keetle black
D/H were assured of a podium no matter how they will skate same for Chan and V/M who are locks for Gold medals

catija

Rinkside
as much as i like seeing a canadian in the top 3 so far....D/R really annoying me whenever they are in the kiss & cry. ugh >< maybe this is why i prefer MT/M. so much more humble.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
You do realize what an irony it is to hear about PCS cushions from CanadianSkaterGuy? :biggrin:

Hah, I'm not saying it as a Canadian. I'm saying it as somebody who would like to see teams that make errors be accountable for those errors in the marks and not held up by PCS. Especially over teams that technically outperform them.

Again, for V/T to get a personal best after what was obviously not the best SP they've ever skated is ridiculous. I actually thought that pairs would come down to who was the cleanest, so hopefully the FS holds the teams to that. I would hate for D/R to skate clean with V/T making major errors and still place behind them.

The good news is that V/T have always been strong freeskaters and now don't have to worry about playing catch up. I don't mind if they blow out the other teams, but I would hope it's because of a clean skate and not because they're just seen as better skaters (which I don't doubt they are).

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Hah, I'm not saying it as a Canadian. I'm saying it as somebody who would like to see teams that make errors be accountable for those errors in the marks and not held up by PCS. Especially over teams that technically outperform them.

Again, for V/T to get a personal best after what was obviously not the best SP they've ever skated is ridiculous. I actually thought that pairs would come down to who was the cleanest, so hopefully the FS holds the teams to that. I would hate for D/R to skate clean with V/T making major errors and still place behind them.

what major error did they got ? a tilted throw but the landing was good
and yes its their best SP because there wasnt a two footed landing
S/S were a bit lowballed they were closer to D/R in PCS which is beyond wrong