2013 Worlds - Pairs SP | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds - Pairs SP

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I think Mt/M are off the podium barring complete disaster for S/S. Judges showed today they will hold the Germans up.

but venue is in Canada, I don't think its out of the question
if S/S get more mistakes in the FS, MT/M will sneak the bronze

leafygreens

Final Flight
Who knows. For all we know D/R's SP performance could have been a fluke. There's no guarantee anyone will medal except for V/T.

flutzy13

On the Ice
but venue is in Canada, I don't think its out of the question

I hope you are right! I think having two top Canadian teams seems to be cancelling out the home ice advantage for them. I loved MT/M the most today and while I realize they don't belong in first, I think the gap between them and S&S is ridiculous.

katia

On the Ice
Who knows. For all we know D/R's SP performance could have been a fluke. There's no guarantee anyone will medal except for V/T.
D/R have been consistent for a quite a while. And you are right, V/T will medal and IMO will get gold.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
what major error did they got ? a tilted throw but the landing was good
and yes its their best SP because there wasnt a two footed landing
S/S were a bit lowballed they were closer to D/R in PCS which is beyond wrong

Do you think S/S should have been placed higher than D/R? As a general statement. Keeping in mind the Germans had a slight error on the easiest SBS triple jumps and D/R cleanly executed the hardest triple jumps (not saying SBS are everything, but that's a pretty notable discrepancy).

Also, I was saying if the Russians hypothetically have major errors in their FS, I hope they aren't still held up over other teams that skate cleanly. I think D/R should be leading, but at least it's not a runaway after the SP. This will hopefully take pressure off D/R going into the FS and puts the pressure on V/T to maintain a position they haven't been in before at Worlds.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

As of late, their SP hasn't been a fluke. They often make a slight error on the lutzes and get negative GOE, but that's to be expected when you try jumps that hard. As others have pointed out, Meagan's 3Z is a harder jump than many of the singles women will attempt let alone execute cleanly.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Do you think S/S should have been placed higher than D/R? As a general statement. Keeping in mind the Germans had a slight error on the easiest SBS triple jumps and D/R cleanly executed the hardest triple jumps (not saying SBS are everything, but that's a pretty notable discrepancy).

Also, I was saying if the Russians hypothetically have major errors in their FS, I hope they aren't still held up over other teams that skate cleanly. I think D/R should be leading, but at least it's not a runaway after the SP. This will hopefully take pressure off D/R going into the FS and puts the pressure on V/T to maintain a position they haven't been in before at Worlds.

so D/R should be leading in FS which hasn't happened ? :confused:
don't worry D/R are assured of a medal maybe even 2 Canadians will be on the podium

mskater93

Record Breaker
Figure skating is a performance sport. If it were only about executing the elements cleanly, they'd call it something else, turn off the music and have a jump off. :) V/T are better SKATERS than D/R and S/S are also better SKATERS than D/R (I mean what they do and how they LOOK when their FEET are on the ice, not when they are in the air or executing an element). Does that mean that they don't get dinged on technical elements when they make errors? No, and both teams did in the GOEs. Both those teams got -GOE for their technical errors. But, for those that are complaining that V/T and S/S have a PCS "cushion" over other teams like D/R where part of the score is related to how things are skated, interpreted, choreographed, and performed (which V/T and S/S ARE better at, even if the concept of a program is MEH this season), I certainly expect that they will keep their mouths shut on the men's threads that Patrick Chan "deserves" a PCS "cushion". /rant off/

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
you realize Canada has a Pairs judge and Tech Controller right ? talk about the pot calling keetle black
D/H were assured of a podium no matter how they will skate same for Chan and V/M who are locks for Gold medals

Are you saying that D/R don't deserve their current placement?

Just looked again at the protocols. A +2 for the Germans on those SBS jumps?!? I would have given their twist +1 and their throw +2 (I've seen them execute the flip better with a nicer landing and more height).

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
they did but you wanted them to be first right ?
PCS will be higher for D/H if they learn to project and Duhamel not skate like a Robot with zero facial expression

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Stuck on 401 for two hours and missed the first two groups. for the last three groups the French pair and D/R werer the most exciting ones to me. d/R did the subs 3L right in front of us, or kind of, that was so clean.

Not very impressed with S/S and V/T today though they did there job.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Figure skating is a performance sport. If it were only about executing the elements cleanly, they'd call it something else, turn off the music and have a jump off. :) V/T are better SKATERS than D/R and S/S are also better SKATERS than D/R (I mean what they do and how they LOOK when their FEET are on the ice, not when they are in the air or executing an element). Does that mean that they don't get dinged on technical elements when they make errors? No, and both teams did in the GOEs. Both those teams got -GOE for their technical errors. But, for those that are complaining that V/T and S/S have a PCS "cushion" over other teams like D/R where part of the score is related to how things are skated, interpreted, choreographed, and performed (which V/T and S/S ARE better at, even if the concept of a program is MEH this season), I certainly expect that they will keep their mouths shut on the men's threads that Patrick Chan "deserves" a PCS "cushion". /rant off/

I agree that V/T and S/S are better skaters than D/R. But what's the point of even skating if the judges will continually give the Germans or Russians a PCS advantage, regardless of how you improve. I don't get why everyone is up in arms about the Canadians closing the gap PCS-wise, when they've improved and the Germans have maintained their level of skating, IMO.

The Russians deservedly have the highest PCS, but if it produces such a discrepancy then that means regardless of how they skate they will always have that advantage. So teams are forced to go for the highest difficulty and need to execute it cleanly when the Russians/Germans don't need to do the hardest elements - they can even make mistakes - and still come out on top.

As for Chan, even with my "Canadian"-ness, I disagree with his PCS cushions in the past in spite of errors.

amc987

On the Ice
I don't watch a ton of pairs skating, so it's hard for me to spot small differences in element quality on the 3-twists and spins. I have to say that I love S/S but I just don't care for this program. I don't like the music. They seem committed to their choreography but it has this monotonous rhythm to it. Liked M-T/M, K/S seemed polished but slow. V/T, well, I guess they've got the lust/sex thing going on, but there's something about Trankov's posture (it's almost like he's hunching) that gets me.

Does anyone have Duhamel/Radford's skate on video? I'd really like to see it.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
so higher Technical = Higher PCS ?

Not really just look at the others Chan notorious with his PCS cushion who will win Gold even with multiple errors and even ladies like Carolina don't go for the hard content.
so unless they improve their SS though and project more and show more facial expression right now that doesn't merit a higher pcs

LisaS

On the Ice
Arggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Has there been a change to the competition schedule or something?! Because I was expecting to be watching the 1st group now, and I'm actually getting the 3rd!!!

According to the ISU results site, local time is GMT-5. Therefore, 11:45 LOC should be 16:45 GMT.

So, why did the Pairs SP actually start at 15:45 GMT???!!!

Off to YouTube now to see if LaRiserva have started putting up any vids yet, so that I can try to catch up on what I've missed.

CaroLiza_fan

We just moved our clocks forward 1 hour on the weekend, maybe that is the difference.

yuliam

Spectator
I think D/R are a great pair and ambitious . And today they skated almost perfectly, with respect to the difficulty of their program. Love them very much :) !

Mao88

Record Breaker
PAIRS SHORT PROGRAM - RESULT & VIDEOS

1. Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR & Maxim TRANKOV (RUS) - 75.84 Short Program, 2nd Copy
2. Meagan DUHAMEL & Eric RADFORD (CAN) - 73.61 Short Program, 2nd Copy
3. Aliona SAVCHENKO & Robin SZOLKOWY (GER) - 73.47 Short Program, 2nd Copy
4. Yuko KAVAGUTI & Alexander SMIRNOV (RUS) - 69.98 Short Program, 2nd Copy
5. Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS & Dylan MOSCOVITCH (CAN) - 69.25 Short Program, 2nd Copy
6. Qing PANG & Jian TONG (CHN) - 63.95 Short Program, 2nd Copy
7. Vera BAZAROVA & Yuri LARIONOV (RUS) - 61.91 Short Program, 2nd Copy
8. Vanessa JAMES & Morgan CIPRES (FRA) - 60.98 Short Program, 2nd Copy
9. Stefania BERTON & Ondrej HOTAREK (ITA) - 59.07 Short Program, 2nd Copy
10. Cheng PENG & Hao ZHANG (CHN) - 58.52 Short Program
11. Wenjing SUI & Cong HAN (CHN) - 57.65 Short Program
12. Alexa SCIMECA & Chris KNIERIM (USA) - 55.73 Short Program
13. Marissa CASTELLI / Simon SHNAPIR (USA) - 55.68 Short Program
14. Stacey KEMP & David KING (GBR) - 48.60 Short Program
15. Nicole DELLA MONICA & Matteo GUARISE (ITA) - 47.82 Short Program
16. Mari VARTMANN & Aaron VAN CLEAVE (GER) - 47.36 Short Program
17. Elizaveta MAKAROVA / Leri KENCHADZE (BUL) - 36.48 Short Program
18. Magdalena KLATKA & Radoslaw CHRUSCINSKI (POL) - 35.44 Short Program

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Looking at these results , the top 5 are close. Anything is still possible, I guess. Sad for Berton and Hotarek. They have great chemistry on ice. Beautiful couple.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
K/S have been receiving level 1 on the DSpiral for a few times this season. Seems like an easy thing to fix, what is wrong with them? They can't even squeeze a point on such gimme move? No wonder they have becoming non-contenders.