2013 Worlds - Pairs SP | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds - Pairs SP

Elisheba

Rinkside
Most of the audience seem to be pensioners. Nothing wrong about pensioners but it would be great if figure skating could appeal to a wider range of people, especially those in the younger age ranges who are the biggest spenders.

Who says it doesn't? I'm young. I watch via (ideally) crappy internet streams and not live because I'm a Peace Corps volunteer in Tanzania. I make about $200 a month and even if I could afford luxuries like paying for skating my internet is not reliably good and couldn't handle a high quality stream. Getting to a live figure skating event is just out of the question.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Most of the audience seem to be pensioners. Nothing wrong about pensioners but it would be great if figure skating could appeal to a wider range of people, especially those in the younger age ranges who are the biggest spenders.

Who says it doesn't? I'm young. I watch via (ideally) crappy internet streams and not live because I'm a Peace Corps volunteer in Tanzania. I make about $200 a month and even if I could afford luxuries like paying for skating my internet is not reliably good and couldn't handle a high quality stream. Getting to a live figure skating event is just out of the question.

I really disagree that younger people are currently the biggest spenders. I am one of them and )even for those who are not thrifty like me or who are pretending as Ziggy says) we just DO NOT have the expendable income due to student loans, high unemployment among our age group, and low starting salaries.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
QUOTE=Elisheba;719805]

I really disagree that younger people are currently the biggest spenders. I am one of them and )even for those who are not thrifty like me or who are pretending as Ziggy says) we just DO NOT have the expendable income due to student loans, high unemployment among our age group, and low starting salaries.

That is quite true.

I am 30 years old and in no debt and I think people in their 30s are more settled, so I think this is the core audience worth reaching. But even then we're still limited by vacation time/other prorities. I love figure skating, but I also need to visit family, and go do other things that don't involve skating -- like run a half-marathon! :)

paircheck

Final Flight
Overall Impressions:

Polish Team: At least they didnt suck as much as they did at Euros.
Sui & Han: Tons of personality and expression. Shes not recovered yet and it shows.
V & VC: A very good program, such a shame about the falls. She was pissed at the low scores.
C & S: She's great, he will never be on her level. This is worse than watching Volozohar & Morozov.
P & Z : Very good except for the spins were a mess.
DM & G: Meh, and he's not that good looking IMO.

are u sure???

http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=...=g69AUeoUhPSyBqvKgPgL&ved=0CDMQ9QEwAQ&dur=184

18-34 is the age group that spends the most. They might not have a lot of expendable income but it isn't stopping them. :p

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This is true. Almost all of us who do watch figure skating even through 'free' stream do so because we do pay for internet access. In addition even if there truly is no monetary cost, there is almost always a space cost and/or a time cost.

Not to mention those annoying ads. Trust me, there's no such thing as a free lunch.

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
People have their own personal circumstances and it's not for us to judge them on the internet, especcially because we not even know them in person.

I really loved the performance of Peng & Zhang. Della Monica and Guarise are really pleasing to watch and it's a pity they had mistakes.
I am super curious to see Scimeca & Knierim. They are my favorite US pair.

tulosai

Record Breaker
18-34 is the age group that spends the most. They might not have a lot of expendable income but it isn't stopping them. :p

This just is not true. I do not have time to find a more recent article now but this is from 2010 http://www.bundle.com/article/the-2010-bundle-report-annual-spending-by-age-10141/ and indicates 50-65 year olds spend the most in general, and 18-25 year olds spent the least in EVERY category, except for shopping where they spent $300 more on average than the lowest age group. Another article from late 2010 says "7. Americans aged 50 to 65 spend 74 percent more money per year than Americans aged 18 to 25."" http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2010/11/25/who-spends-the-most-money.html

Your impression is what it is but IMO it is very, very mistaken. I think maybe this is best continued via PM if it is going to continue. I am interested, in a genuine way, in if you have reputable sources that say something else. But both from my experience and from what I read, people my age are not the big spenders you seem to think.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Nice for Alexa and Chris -- a bit slow but they got through it. Lots of potential for a recently formed team. :)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Arggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Has there been a change to the competition schedule or something?! Because I was expecting to be watching the 1st group now, and I'm actually getting the 3rd!!!

According to the ISU results site, local time is GMT-5 (screenshot). Therefore, 11:45 LOC should be 16:45 GMT.

So, why did the Pairs SP actually start at 15:45 GMT???!!!

Off to YouTube now to see if LaRiserva have started putting up any vids yet, so that I can try to catch up on what I've missed.

CaroLiza_fan

Art&Sport

Medalist
Yeah I figured Chris and Alexa might be either slightly in front of or slightly behind Marissa and Simon.

ETA:
The effort really seems to show with the Bulgarian team, and her legs seem rather stiff or something. This team might be behind Vartmann/ Van Cleave.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Elizaveta MAKAROVA / Leri KENCHADZE (BUL)

Music: Tango Amore by Edvin Marton

2Tw
3LoTh - hand down, stepout
2Lo - 'Rippon
Li
BoDs
FCCoSp
StSq

SP: 18.77 + 17.71 = 36.48
In 7th (out of 8)