MILTON: Glory days are gone for Canadian figure skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

MILTON: Glory days are gone for Canadian figure skating

KatEll

Rinkside
Only rich die hard fans like Scott and Patrick. Poor casual fans hate them. :laugh:

Maybe the dispicable, arrogant, self absorbed, rude, and completely unlikeable Scott and Patrick are bribing the audience to cheer for them. That is why they are rich. ;)

UsedtoDance

Rinkside
I am from Canada. To raise interest in the sport we need a big personality. People still mention Brian Orser, Kurt Browning and Elvis Stojko and mention them by name, rather than "that boy who won a medal". Heck they are more likely to mention the likes of Yuna Kim than Patrick Chan. 5 years ago at a maternity class for an ice breaker one of the questions was who is the current Canadian Women's figures skating champion. Canadians had been the week before and I was the only person to know who it was. Either people just aren't interested or there isn't enough media coverage?

That is just one problem that I can see. I'm not going to comment on the likability of Scott or Patrick (I think their comments display an immaturity and spoiledness). Quite honestly the general population would have no idea who they are. I guess we just need someone the "common folk" can identify with.

rvi5

On the Ice
Exactly, Canada needs big skating personalities. The best time to promote is at the Olympics, because that is when the majority of the population is watching. The trick would be convincing the viewers to watch Figure Skating instead of bobsledding etc.

At Vancouver, Patrick Chan finished 5th. He did not begin winning Gold until afterwards. Since people who are indifferent towards Figure Skating are not likely watching Worlds, 4CC, Nationals, or GP events, Patrick would remain a nobody in their mind. At Vancouver, pairs were also not a threat for a medal. Although V/M did win Gold, they did so at a time when Canada was winning many medals. The news of their win became buried under all the other medals that were pouring in from other sports. I also don't recall much publicity surrounding the V/M win outside of the Figure Skating niche (since V/M appear to be private people, it is OK, if that is the way they want it). Hence, the only publicized medal was Joannie's. However, she retired immediately after. Overall, Vancouver didn't seem to do much for the popularity of Figure Skating within Canada.

Today, we have D/R and MT/M challenging near the top in pairs. V/M will again be challenging for gold in Ice Dance. Likewise with Patrick in Mens, if he is on. We also have Kaetlyn in Ladies, who appears to have become popular regardless whether she can medal. However, this all means nothing if Figure Skating is not adequately promoted. In advance of each competition, it would be helpful to get the word out to the general public, by ensuring TV hosts briefly announcing there may be a chance for a medal in the upcoming Figure Skating event. If the general public does not know, they may tune-in to watch another sport. If there is a medal win, try convincing the newspapers to publish the news, perhaps with a human interest story about the athlete(s). After the Olympics has closed, it would be necessary to find a method to keep the momentum going. With a little luck, maybe the public will remember and be more eager to watch Worlds, 4CC, Nationals, and GP events.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
So what are you trying to imply? Only Canadian avid fans cheer for V/M and Patrick at events, while the majority of casual fans who are not at events don't like them.......bunch of random gibberish......

I am going to predict with full confidence that the interest in Canadian figure skating, barring a huge judging scandal in Sochi (and if there is one you know it is 99% likely involving Chan himself) will skyrocket again after 2014 when Chan and Moir are both retired and Osmond, Duhamel & Radford, Weaver & Poje and others take over as our new stars who are winning medals. Now will that be just coincidence when that happens? You are free to think that, but I tend to believe otherwise.

rvi5

On the Ice
Considering what I said in my last post, you are hardly sticking your neck out with that prediction. :rolleye: You have provided absolutely no evidence or logical argument to explain why casual fans would know or care about Patrick or Scott's comments. A prediction that has multiple possible explanations is hardly proof of anything.

KatEll

Rinkside
I dont personally hate either skater
Yeah, right! We believe you. :rolleye:

You have provided absolutely no evidence or logical argument to explain why casual fans would know or care about Patrick or Scott's comments.
Exactly! rvi5 has given explanations which make sense, while pangtongfan is just spewing useless babble based on personal hate.

I think pangtongfan and sky_fly20 should get together for beers, and reminisce about the good old days when they still had some credibility.

UsedtoDance

Rinkside
I'm with rvi5 on this one. I would doubt casual fans know anything about comments from Patrick or Scott, in fact I know that for a fact since I asked a not so casual fan today. Casual fans will cheer for whoever is doing best at any given moment.
I honestly don't think the skaters coming up have big enough personalities to make much impact.
Part of the problem I can see for losing fans could be the fact most of our top skaters don't train in Canada. If a skater from the southern Ontario area were to make it big while training here I bet people would become more aware of skating. And I say from Southern Ontario because that is just where a big part of Canada's population is located.