31 Ashley WAGNER USA
32 Mae Berenice MEITE FRA
33 Mao ASADA JPN
34 Carolina KOSTNER ITA
35 Alena LEONOVA RUS

Last edited:

Chris_E

On the Ice
Good draw for Ashley, early in the last group but close to the warm up and not after one of the major contenders. Lots of pressure for Carolina to deliver so late in the competition, especially after Mao. Should be a fun competition!

The second starting number is the best one by far. You get to utilise the whole warm-up and then you get a short breather.

Slowdive is the name of this thread feminist defiance on your part or just lack of attention to detail? ;)

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
This is going to be exciting in a good way. Since I'm not as emotionally invested in the ladies I really can enjoy this. Curious how Yuna will do and how long she can defend her lead (yes, I'm just assuming she will be at first for a while)!

Other than that I want Akiko to go without mistakes and want to watch Kanakos beautiful Prayer for Taylor. I love that SP. But Good Luck to ALL the ladies. I want them to kill it.

Slowdive

On the Ice
The second starting number is the best one by far. You get to utilise the whole warm-up and then you get a short breather.

Slowdive is the name of this thread feminist defiance on your part or just lack of attention to detail? ;)
Sorry - I guess Ladies is used rather than Womens.

ForeverFish

Medalist
The last two groups are gonna be brutal. Yuna and Gracie are by and far the stars of their respective groups, so I'm interested to see how the judges will score them (provided they're clean, of course).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alena Leonova has the worst draw of all: not only last, but right after Kostner.

Alena Leonova has the worst draw of all: not only last, but right after Kostner.

She's gonna bomb big time. Or maybe she'll actually skate a blinder now that she's been shown the door and there isn't really any pressure on her to deliver?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
She's gonna bomb big time. Or maybe she'll actually skate a blinder now that she's been shown the door and there isn't really any pressure on her to deliver?

If she is clean she will get a huge score, being last and the reigning WSM.

ForeverFish

Medalist

How do you figure that? The Russian Fed sent her to Worlds over Gosviani, even though Gosviani is age-eligible. They're not going to drop the country's only female Worlds medalist the year before the Olympics, especially since neither Tukt nor Sotnikova have realistic shots at winning medals with the depth of the field this year. :disapp:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well I think it is pretty well sealed that Osmond will place behind Gold. Osmond will have to skate briliantly and she will still probaby have trouble making top ten. GOld got a good draw as well as Li, Meite, Marchesi those three were pretty lucky. Wagner got a great spot.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Well I think it is pretty well sealed that Osmond will place behind Gold. Osmond will have to skate briliantly and she will still probaby have trouble making top ten. GOld got a good draw as well as Li, Meite, Marchesi those three were pretty lucky. Wagner got a great spot.

The way I look at it, Osmond will barely make it into the top ten, which is all Canada needs to get two ladies' spots. Gold, as long as she doesn't get spooked, will outskate everyone in her group. Osmond is also head and shoulders the leading lady of Group 2, but skating so early may make her forgettable.

ETA: What's so great about Meite's skate order? She'll need to have the SOHL to stand out from Murakami, Wagner, Leonova, Kostner, and Asada--and it may be too tall of an order even then.

Ambivalent

On the Ice
I'm pleased that's Yuna's starting order, because given her competitive history I'd say there would have been a fair chance she would have crumbled a bit skating after the other contenders, such as Mao or Carolina. Her position puts her under less pressure, I think.

How do you figure that? The Russian Fed sent her to Worlds over Gosviani, even though Gosviani is age-eligible. They're not going to drop the country's only female Worlds medalist the year before the Olympics, especially since neither Tukt nor Sotnikova have realistic shots at winning medals with the depth of the field this year. :disapp:

It's irrelevant how Leonova skates because she won't beat Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva anyway. So no real pressure on her here. And next season, Russia has a number of skaters becoming age-eligible so bye bye Leonova.

ForeverFish

Medalist
It's irrelevant how Leonova skates because she won't beat Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva anyway. So no real pressure on her here. And next season, Russia has a number of skaters becoming age-eligible so bye bye Leonova.

Do you mean Lipnitskaia and Pogorilaya? Neither of whom have any major senior international experience? :laugh:

If Russia holds onto three spots, Leonova's going to the Olympics. The Russian Fed won't risk sending three mostly inexperienced skaters to represent the country on home ice. Tukt and Sotnikova are probably going to beat Leonova, yes, as they've done all season. But she was sent to Worlds for a reason.