Moir: “We don’t care about what the 11 people (judges) think,” | Golden Skate

Moir: “We don’t care about what the 11 people (judges) think,”

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Interesting how two different articles quote him differently. Here's the National Post version

"“But I think it’s very easy this week — I think this is probably my favourite competition of my career, because I can care less about what the 11 [Judges] think, I care more about the 10,000 sitting behind them.”

vs the Hersh version “We don’t care about what the 11 people (judges) think,” Moir said. “It’s more about the 10,000 sitting behind them.”

I'm curious which one is accurate. I can believe either, truthfully.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Interesting how two different articles quote him differently. Here's the National Post version

"“But I think it’s very easy this week — I think this is probably my favourite competition of my career, because I can care less about what the 11 [Judges] think, I care more about the 10,000 sitting behind them.”

vs the Hersh version “We don’t care about what the 11 people (judges) think,” Moir said. “It’s more about the 10,000 sitting behind them.”

Grammatically speaking, shouldn't it be "I can't care less" instead of "I can care less"? -- unless that's what he was going for.

And both are a lie. Of course you care what the judges think, Scott!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I think he's saying "I can care less about the judges and think about the people in the stands"

I also agree he's not telling the truth. Hopefully it lights a fire in him like it did in the GPF 2011. They still lost, of course, but it was a great FD nonetheless.

Scott, Scott, Scott. Why can't you just skate and stop making yourself look like a twerp?

As for the grammar, "I could care less" is a sarcastic colloquialism for "I couldn't care less." It is used so frequently that many people think it's right. :laugh:

Anyway, I don't see any difference,frankly, between the two versions of what Scott said. "We don't care about what the 11 judges think, we only care about the 10,000 people in the audience." And "I can('t) care less about what the 11 judges think. I care more about the 10,000 fans." Seems exactly the same to me.

Anyway, I wonder what the 10,000 thought about their SP performance, compared to Davis and White's.

I am not sure in what sense this was "probably my favourite competition of my career." He likes being in second place, more than three points behind the leaders?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Scott Moir and Patrick Chan are definitely two of the poorest sports and arrogant people to hit the sport in my memory. That is probably why Canadian interest is so low in the sport now despite our success. Who gets excited cheering for such jerks, sorry it doesnt happen no matter how great of skaters they are.

pitterpatter

On the Ice

I'm curious as well, the tone comes across quite differently in those two quotes.

Leonardo

Final Flight
Scott Moir and Patrick Chan are definitely two of the poorest sports and arrogant people to hit the sport in my memory. Who gets excited cheering for such jerks, sorry it doesnt happen no matter how great of skaters they are.

agreed... chan is even worse in imho, stupid interviews, fake artistry and lots of falls (yes I know, best skating skills since ulrich salchow and three quads, blablabla)...

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Well, kkonas said Moir hates to lose. I think we're just seeing just how much (and how true) that is.

Interesting fact: if they do lose, they won't be able to fall back on "Tessa's injured." And that would certainly change the psychology of these two rivals, wouldn't it?

I think what Scott meant was, "We are thrilled and honored for the privilege of representing Canada in our home town. We have a lot of ground to make up on Saturday, but we will give it everything we've got." (Why doesn't Scott hire me to be his publicist? :laugh: )

MidnightNess

Rinkside
He could have definitely worded it differently but it may have been uttered "in the heat of the moment" . It's okay to be disappointed in the score, or in their skate, but to throw it back in the judges faces like that? Ehhh...

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I think what Scott meant was, "We are thrilled and honored for the privilege of representing Canada in our home town. We have a lot of ground to make up on Saturday, but we will give it everything we've got." (Why doesn't Scott hire me to be his publicist? :laugh: )

Because he'd have to pay you. And if he already has a publicist, then he'd have to pay more for being better than the one he has now!

Rosie DiManno is probably his unofficial publicist anyway. :rolleye:

Now Marlie do that all the time: the safe, diplomatic answer. Journalists must hate them. LOL.

I wouldn't mind at all if Scott said something like, "Charlie White can't skate his way out of a paper bag and he has stupid hair. We are going to clean their clock next time out! Grrr."

But to say after a a bad skate, "I don't care what the judges think, we skate for The People." -- well, maybe next time the judges won't care what Scott thinks. ;)

Art&Sport

Medalist
Now Marlie do that all the time: the safe, diplomatic answer. Journalists must hate them. LOL.

Come on now, who could ever hate Marlie? ;)

I mean especially if you have a chance to meet and talk with them. And perchance to see Charlie/Tanith's dog, DJ, is surely like icing on the cake, and nothing at all like "Kraft singles."

Marlie and their Magical Wizard Hair are just Grrrreat! (as Tony the Tiger would say)

Perfect response! But it seems like Scott usually says the first thing that comes to mind.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I wouldn't mind at all if Scott said something like, "Charlie White can't skate his way out of a paper bag and he has stupid hair. We are going to clean their clock next time out! Grrr."

But to say after a a bad skate, "I don't care what the judges think, we skate for The People." -- well, maybe next time the judges won't care what Scott thinks. ;)

I think the combination of Scott Moir at his loose-cannon best and you there, as publicist, to egg him on--now that might make me subscribe to a newspaper again!
:)

A&S-- don't get me started on PJ Wrong and her utter idiocy. Kraft singles indeed. I'd like to see someone compare HER kids to Kraft singles (and not rich, expensive cheddar) and see if she doesn't think it's a total insult then. Idiot.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Poor Scott always seems to be saying the wrong thing. He should take a page out of Dai's book.

Here are a couple of excerpts from a translated interview with Dai regarding his "bad" skate in the SP.

“I wanted to treasure this moment to skate so that the fans who came to cheer me and those who support me would feel happy about it.”

“Not to fix it up, but to make my performance something people would say 'it was great to watch'”.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Davis and White are in first and rightfully so. They are a great dance team and nice people. I don't like what Moir said necessarily but I have to say do we all need the Miss America answers from Kwan likes and Marlie? Boring and not the truth. Great for the Wheaties cover but you have no idea who these people "really" are or are we to believe they are so perfect? I am not sure how Chan gets brought into this but since he is (why do people hate him so much; he hasn't said much controversial in years) And to be balanced and fair Chan's artistry while not that of Tak is more organic than the likes of Boitanao or Lysacek. Boitano overnight got the panacea of the 80's Sandra Bezic and became an artist - nice spread eagle with the dramatic stare to the heavens (give me a 6.0 those eyes said lol). Evan was no artist either - ooh I am wearing VEra Wang I am artisitc. If we are going to sell skating while we know about politics we need interesting characters along with good skating. We don't have that. The romantic couple Gordeeva and Grinkov and who do we compare? In 2002 we had Sale and pelletier and they paled far far far from G and G in respect to romance between them and skating skills. In the early 90's we had Nancy Kerrigant the perfect princess who made some nasty comments about the orphan waif who became a drunk not to mention the chain smoking beer slinging trashy, whack them in the knee tonya harding. The orphan waif was around winning OGM against Nancy kerrigan in a 13000 dress. She won despite the german girl accidentally stabbing her in the back with her skating blade and she is carried off the ice by the fading Witt and her East German antics and soap opera sex life and feminine charms. They had the triple axel rarity Midori ito and Pasha, who changed her name from Oksana because she didnt want to be associated with the other Oksana the "bad" oksana (drunk)having an affair with compatriot and competitio for OGM and an incident where Maia Usova fought for her man and slammed Pasha's head in a bowl of soup. Now that is drama and that made skating interesting. Remember Surya 's reaction to silver? REal emotions. e have nice people smiling Yuna, the cute Shibs, Miss America , perfect Marlie, boring Russian dance teams who are interchangeable, ho hum pairs, add to that a scoring system that only us diehards understand (and can't agree on lol). the fading superstud Brian Joubert replaced with nice guy FErnandez perhaps? Where's the drama? Where's the human interest? The academics ie Gao and Flatt while skating doesn't cut it. The American girls right now have that Miss America thing going on big smiles but not the human draw of a Harding, or even a mother smothered Tiffany Chin. Lots of pablum and oatmeal....The sequins are sadly losing their sparkle and twinkle.

Icey

Record Breaker
The Oxford dictionary already recognizes “could care less” as an American colloquialism. Many people, however, regard it as incorrect since it makes no logical sense (if you “could care less” it means that you care at least a bit).