2013 Worlds Men LP | Page 44 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds Men LP

Eislauf

On the Ice
But that's the difference. Skaters extraordinaire like Dai, Denis, Abbott, Savoie, Cranston, Lambiel, Weir, Curry, Browning, Sawyer, Robin Cousins, Jason Brown -- they all have artistry and musical interpretation that is as natural to them as breathing. Not so for Patrick Chan.

They are all artists whereas Chan is a technician; he seems to go through the motions of artistry with little soul or emotion and doesn't appear to feel the music. I think he's trying to improve in this area but his efforts to express feelings on ice end up looking disingenuous. I feel nothing when I watch him skate. Hate to say it, but actually I feel more soul from Kevin Reynolds. Now Dai on the other hand....:bow:

ks777

Record Breaker
What were some of you (with FAR more expertise than me) expecting PC's freeskate score to be? I was trying to guesstimate based on those that had gone before, and his pedigree and the parts of his skate that WERE really beautiful- and i was guessing/expecting 158-160; but not 169.

I was thinking around 150-155. He had 4 major mistakes. It's time to change the GOE system. We should only award -(negative). If you execute an element cleanly then it only should get 0(zero) instead of +2 and +3.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I'm all for it. On the other hand I'm so afraid that the judges, after theses last 2 competitions, don't see him as a favourite anymore and moved on.

My answer to that is:

DAISUKE TAKAHASHI, YOU GO BACK TO PASQUALE CAMERLENGO RIGHT THIS INSTANT. Morozov is obviously not doing you any favors.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Uhhh, I think that's more the way of figure skating that doesn't have any credibility, since Dai should be the defending World champion from last year. It's also the way of trying to go back to a latter-day Morozov's iffy influence. It's also the way of having to put too many quad demands on a jump-injured aging body.

It is what it is. I gave up bickering about judges scores a long time ago. Sorry.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
No lynching but damn you are one tough customer!

I just thought they all lacked, and even though Denis Ten was not bad, he is not the amazing wuzzrobbed Champion people are trying to make him, imho. Compare this event to 2012. Nice was such a joy. London not so much.....I think no one deserved to win here. :eek:hwell:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Still crying over Daisukes result, tbh. Where are you Daisuke lovers? Let's wail! Only 6th in his last Worlds! This is worth crying over.

Concerning PChan - where are those banana-plushy-throwing fans when you need them? Kind of happy that Kevin Reynolds didn't make it to the podium. I don't know this whole event left me unsatisfied almost like 4CC just a little better. Even if I'm short of getting lynched by saying this but I didn't think Denis Ten was that amazing either.......

Mai I posted a link in Dai's Fan Fest where you can send him a messge of good cheer.

Eislauf

On the Ice
Let us hope that he peaks at the Olympics next year. We need to hold a prayer circle, tbh.

Yes!! The commentators on British Eurosport were dumping on Patrick Chan big time but they sure love D10, Hanyu and Dai. One said he's never seen Dai skate that LP with so much passion and artistry. It gave me goosebumps.

And, Dai is still the most popular figure skater in the world - he's a rock star - and people will flock to see him skate after he retires. Chan on the other hand...meh.

flaneur

On the Ice
I am curious how this result will impact tomorrow's scoring. I get the impression that in an attempt to look fair, when there is a call that could go either way, the judges may lean against V/M, W/P and Osmond.

Similar to today's pairs results (with S/S taking silver), I actually can understand why it went the way it did... even if it feels wrong. Ten rightfully won the FS, but since Chan had almost ten marks on him through the SP and with 2 perfect quads (vs. 1 good one) + PCS that does not disappear for jumping mistakes, it was not enough to catch him. In all, except for Ten, it was just a poorly skated event by all the men, not just Chan... which is another reason for the results.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Still crying over Daisukes result, tbh. Where are you Daisuke lovers? Let's wail! Only 6th in his last Worlds! This is worth crying over.

Concerning PChan - where are those banana-plushy-throwing fans when you need them? Kind of happy that Kevin Reynolds didn't make it to the podium. I don't know this whole event left me unsatisfied almost like 4CC just a little better. Even if I'm short of getting lynched by saying this but I didn't think Denis Ten was that amazing either.......

Well, maybe that's because you're a Dai and/ or Hanyu fan. Javi wasn't all that amazing, but I think he is worthy of being on the podium. Denis was magnifico in the sp and quite brilliant in the fp. He began to let himself down halfway through by doubling a few jumps, but he didn't lose hold of his amazing artistry not one whit and was still at strength technically jump-wise at the end. Plus Denis didn't give in to cleaning the ice like quite a few competitors.

As a matter of fact, Patrick did not skate so far and above everyone in the sp either, as I said in the sp thread, and he was way over-scored with that 98. Now a lot of people are agreeing with me. That and Denis' doubled jumps, and the judges' contrary insistence on still rewarding Patrick in the fp is what kept Denis from winning. I doubt the judges wanted to give the championship to Denis, but they would have had no choice had Denis landed all his triples perfectly, cuz everything else he did was perfect. Even the concept of Denis' program is so far head-and-shoulders above most of what Patrick has done and recycled over the years.

Leonardo

Final Flight
Amazing falls as always, Pchiddy. This sport is so funny. In gymnastics, it used to be a scandal when a great gymnast won with a fall over a horrible performance with no falls. In figure skating, Patrick needs more than 3 falls to lose to two perfect programs. Well... Seriously, I'd feel embarrassed in Patrick's place. It happens time after the time. All the time. Sorry Patrick fans, but I'd be ashamed to see my favorite skater win a gold medal with THAT performance. AGAIN.

There's absolutely no need for men's competition. Just give him the olympic gold already.

And congrats to the gold medalist Denis ten! Never expected such an amazing performance!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
^No, no don't get me wrong. I think the standings are ok. If you look at the scores they are all actually really close. And even though I'm a fan of Dai and Yuzuru I don't think they deserve to be on the podium. Denis Ten or Javier deserve it. The SP actually decided this event. And Daisuke and Yuzuru didn't deliver. I'm not denying this.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
The rules clearly need to be changed. Whoever has the most falls and falls the best deserves to win. :)

IndieBoi

On the Ice
^No, no don't get me wrong. I think the standings are ok. If you look at the scores they are all actually really close. And even though I'm a fan of Dai and Yuzuru I don't think they deserve to be on the podium. Denis Ten or Javier deserve it. The SP actually decided this event. And Daisuke and Yuzuru didn't deliver. I'm not denying this.

:thumbsup:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Todd Eldredge: "Is inflation back? Or did it ever leave? Shouldn't falling affect components? Puzzled in FL!"

This could be fascinating.

wallylutz

Medalist
Even though that wasn't the best performance jump-wise, I think I just became a fan of someone I only mildly liked before.

Fernandez was most enjoyable to watch despite the pops. The jumps he did do were excellent quality and very impressive. His skating skills have improved so much. Plus, he really knows how to project himself to the judges and the audience. The 5+ points lead in PCS over Hanyu was the right call.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Similar to today's pairs results (with S/S taking silver), I actually can understand why it went the way it did... even if it feels wrong. Ten rightfully won the FS, but since Chan had almost ten marks on him through the SP and with 2 perfect quads (vs. 1 good one) + PCS that does not disappear for jumping mistakes, it was not enough to catch him. In all, except for Ten, it was just a poorly skated event by all the men, not just Chan... which is another reason for the results.

This is what I was trying to say, but obviously failed. A poor WC, but the results make sense. I'm just so happy this weird season is over now!