2013 Worlds Men LP | Page 39 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds Men LP

yuki

Final Flight
Patrick got very lucky. All the big guns were very average at these Worlds. As it is a skater like Ten who hasn't really done much of anything the last few years came within two point of beating the mighty Patrick Chan. If Chan skates like this again and Hanyu or Javier don't screw up they will win and it won't be close.

How was Denis lucky? He pretty much had the skates of his life and still didn't beat a mistake-riddled Patrick. He had the 2nd highest TES of the night with only one quad. I was pleasantly surprised he was so close though, I was afraid he was going to be held down on PCS.

auser

Record Breaker
Egotistical or not, NO skater wants to win like that. Something needs to be done about the judging, out with Cinquanta let figure skaters govern figure skaters...
Agree with this, so that at least I might be able to watch one of my favorite sports on TV again.

Robeye

Final Flight
So, mulling over the results, the following question keeps popping up in my mind: is this the most controversial result in mens championship history, or have there been any that were even more fractious (although I find that hard to imagine)?

fairly4

Medalist
:sarcasm:congrats to patrick for,w:)inning worl title:clap::clap:to
Dennis ten & Javier Fernandez for coming in 2nd & 3rd respectively. For winning your countries first medl in the sport.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Some pages back before the results came out I wrote I felt sorry for Patrick Chan. I take that back.

I pray to god that Daisuke will change his mind about the next World Championships and will compete. In Japan.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
They should handle it like gymnastics and have the coaches run over to the judges with money.

Lol I agree! Seriously though, someone should contest this, that's the only way for the ISU to take note that skaters aren't going to take crap from the judges. I think The GS Forum should start a revolution and over throw the ISU...

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Protocols

Chan's first two elements got him nearly thirty points! Quads matter, and when you can get almost straight +3's for them.... well, you have leeway. Thankfully, and rarely for the man, he got straight -3's for his two elements with falls. The judges could've been stricter with the GOEs in general, and should have been (probably) - especially for his spins.

Ten's protocols make lovely reading. No negative GOES. Two judges giving him 9's across the board (generous, but still pleasant). Absolutely shellacked Chan on GOEs (rightfully, of course) and was very close on PCS. Just not close enough (or more accurately, Chan's PCS should've really been low 8s, behind Fernandez, Ten and Takahashi).

Hanyu had high base value and solid GOEs

Fernandez had VERY low base value (70 points) but astonishing GOE kept him in the game. I truly believe he'll be the one to challenge Chan next year.

One judge scored Aaron in the mid 8s. Hilarious.

Good for Rogozine to have a top ten LP and for 13th overall. Strange to think that if Reynolds was gone and Rogozine 12th, it would've been enough to keep three spots.

Art&Sport

Medalist
He thanked the audience for supporting him, apologized for not skating two good programs, said that he's saving it for Sochi.

Oh please, Patrick. You're a nice guy, but pleeze, you've had too many gifts given already for your SS, while imitating a Zamboni. It's not against Canadians at all, but maybe if they'd hyped you less, and the judges had gifted you less, you might have been hungrier and steadier to just put it out here and be worthy of being a three-time World champion. In fact, you should only be a two-time World champion: 2009 (if you'd kept your mouth shut), and 2011 where you took no prisoners and skated fabulously. In 2012, you did not deserve to win. Even less so at these championships.

I hope you just find some home-cooking at the Cricket club and keep away from Detroit, although I'm sure they'll welcome you with open arms, as will everyone back in Colorado. It's Denis Ten who saved this men's competition from utter craptastic boredom.

Yay to Denis Ten!!!

ForeverFish

Medalist
Lol I agree! Seriously though, someone should contest this, that's the only way for the ISU to take note that skaters aren't going to take crap from the judges. I think The GS Forum should start a revolution and over throw the ISU...

Or just use video analyzing software to score the TES portion.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I dont think anyone does. I cant wait until the next time he competes in Europe or Asia. He will booed before his program next time I bet. Outside of Canada he has become the most controversial and unpopular top skater ever and he deserves every bit of it.

The judges made it so clear that there was no use booing.:laugh:

Becki

Medalist
Okay I think Yuzuru had the highest TES of the night even with a sprained ankle and on painkillers :O :O how talented is this boy ? O_O

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
So, mulling over the results, the following question keeps popping up in my mind: is this the most controversial result in mens championship history, or have there been any that were even more fractious (although I find that hard to imagine)?

I'm gonna argue that 2012 was more fractious. Takahashi has more fans than Ten, and seems a more credible world champion. Additionally, Chan skated poorly in both segments really, whereas here he had a strong short program. Additionally, at least Chan lost the LP this year. He didn't in 2012, when it was obvious to all he deserved to.

imo, of course. Both victories were poor.