Chan: Maybe I'm saving it for the Olympics; Phil Hersh article | Golden Skate

Chan: Maybe I'm saving it for the Olympics; Phil Hersh article

Art&Sport

Medalist
"Maybe I'm just saving it for the Olympics." Patrick Chan

Hmmm, well I hope there are at least five or more other skaters saving something up too that might just trump any mistake-filled effort Patrick manages to come up with at the Olympics. If the judges treated Patrick like they treat most other competitors, he might be more universally well-liked for his immense talents.

I really wish Patrick wouldn't say things like that, and expect everyone to agree and to give him a bye and a pat on the bum like the judges seem addicted to doing. Frankly, even with 3 World championship wins, some of Patrick's competitors probably feel sorry for him, at the same time they might be a bit envious of the favoritism. If he skates great at the Olympics, he should win, if he doesn't, why not let someone else who makes a few lesser mistakes CoP a chance at gold. :p

Hersh article:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-spt-0316-hersh-world-figure-skating-20130316,0,3288346.story

And Christine Brennan weighs in:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...n-figure-skating-world-championships/1992075/

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I think it speaks volumes about what that title means to Patrick Chan. He just won the World Championships and dismisses it as a "been there, done that" affair. The only thing that counts is that OGM. I thought this season might've started the discoronation? of Patrick Chan and the building up of Yuzuru as next Champion, but I was mistaken. Now I'm putting all my hopes in Yuzuru for that OGM, anyway.

Art&Sport

Medalist
The worst of it is, the sport will just continue on as if nothing of import has happened and deflect the disgruntled rumblings with excuses and business as usual. Skaters, including Patrick Chan, have no other option but to fall in line, grin and bear it. Still, Patrick needs a long vacation, a wake-up call, and some tough love from the judges.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
the fact that he knows what went wrong with his score
but dismisses it as to think the better skates wlll be at the Olympics

what happens when its the same by next Season ?? :confused: he will run out of excuses

Chanflated Fraud better be happy this happened in Canada or else he would have been Boo'ed at again
Down with inflation :disagree:

The worst of it is, the sport will just continue on as if nothing of import has happened and deflect the disgruntled rumblings with excuses and business as usual.

That is what I truly cannot stand. The skating establishment looks down its patrician nose from its high horse and tells the bewildered audience, if you don't like it, go study the rule book, bowing and applauding as you turn each page.

daphna

On the Ice
what I hope Chan is saving for the olympics is a fall on every element and a last place finish. damn it, i just can't stand him!

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
I'm not any happier than anyone else that Chan's performance last night ended up winning the world championship, but come on, what was the guy supposed to say after that? It's a bloody weird situation, and skaters are pretty much expected to throw in a positive-ish statement after a disappointing performance about how they hope to do better in the future and yada yada yada. I doubt I'd have come up with the perfect soundbite on the spot either.

The problem isn't Chan or "inflation" specifically. He's the most glaring example of it so he's raked over the coals all the time, but it happens with other skaters, too: mistake-filled programs can end up scoring absurdly high in this system. It's not good for the sport. Something should be done about it. Same stuff people have been saying for years, in ladies' and pairs' as well as men's events. (I think ice dance is actually doing well under this system. I said it last year: whoever would have thought ~15 years ago that dance would become the least controversial event? :p )

szidon

On the Ice
That is what I truly cannot stand. The skating establishment looks down its patrician nose from its high horse and tells the bewildered audience, if you don't like it, go study the rule book, bowing and applauding as you turn each page.

ITA. That's why the judges could give positive GOEs to two-footed and/or underrotate jumps while the audience was watching the slowmo.

millie

Medalist
Chan is one of those skaters that thinks that Canada owes him something....He's not appreciated..Let hope that he falls of his high horse at the Olympics. Chan is raked over the coals because of his better than thou attitide. just saying

Dots

Final Flight
I think it speaks volumes about what that title means to Patrick Chan. He just won the World Championships and dismisses it as a "been there, done that" affair. The only thing that counts is that OGM. I thought this season might've started the discoronation? of Patrick Chan and the building up of Yuzuru as next Champion, but I was mistaken. Now I'm putting all my hopes in Yuzuru for that OGM, anyway.

Bah! Yuzuru is Patrick 2.0.

Another that can't keep himself vertical. No thanks. :disapp:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
^Haha! I like to watch emotion on ice and with Yuzuru it seems like a drama almost every competition. Highs and Lows. It never get's boring. I didn't really like his programs this year, but the judges obviously did. I thought they were building him up for the title, but Yuzuru destroyed their hopes. And Javier as well, to a certain point. I can understand, if you don't like his skating, though. It is not everyones cup of tea.

LRK

Record Breaker

Indeed. "Ah, but you just don't understand... Here, have some chocolate and go off and play with your toys, we grownups know best!" (condescending pat on head)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Around now Patrick should just be keeping his mouth shut, unless he is going to admit he clearly did not deserve his win and ask the judges to stop giving him inflated scores and gift wins when he doesnt skate well as they are making him the laughing stock of the sport. If he isnt going to do that then best to keep quiet and say absolutely nothing for a couple months atleast.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Chan is a very poor sport, and has been for quite a few years now.

i honestly don't see much wrong with that quote, sure it wasn't the best thing to say at the moment, but he seems to have really tried to reign in his "off color" remarks and boasts over the past season or two. I think Patrick was honestly surprised and even embarrassed--its hard to know exactly how to behave in these circumstances.

jfdw

Rinkside
what I hope Chan is saving for the olympics is a fall on every element and a last place finish. damn it, i just can't stand him!

Well regardless of your dislike of Chan to say what you did above is the lowest in sportsmanship. Regardless of what your opinion is he has a family who likely read or hear about the tone of this board. He has worked towards the Olympics for a good many years and his family likely like all other skating families have sacrificed much.

He did not give himself his marks. I can understand your feelings that the marks were unfair but to post what you did is vile. I have seen many win over the last 40 years who in my opinion should not have but I would never wish that any competitor in the Olympics would fall on every jump and come last.

You should be ashamed of posting such a comment and claim to be a lover of the sport of figure skating.

jfdw

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Well regardless of your dislike of Chan to say what you did above is the lowest in sportsmanship. Regardless of what your opinion is he has a family who likely read or hear about the tone of this board.

if that is the case that is terrific and all the more reason to keep posting like the poster you quoted did, as Chan and his family, and anyone associated with him deserve all the heat and misery you are suggesting they get by such heavy and widespread vile criticsm for two blatantly undeserved World titles. It is wonderful that there is a price to be payed (according to you) for success that was unearned and a poor and arrogant attitude about that unearned success on top of that. It is some compensation to the many skating fans that have seen their sport fall into a sinkhole largely thanks to Chan and his scores, but moreso the other skaters who worked their own behinds off just as much as Chan, and outperformed him and did not fall around the ice, and were unfairly deprived of titles and medals that they earned and yet were wrongfully given to him repeatedly.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

True. I would much rather see Fernandez as Olympic Champion. It is too bad he did not have a better SP, as I am sure he would have won the title here otherwise. Most importantly though I want the skater (whoever it is) who deserves it on the day to be awared the gold, something that clearly did not happen here, or last year.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight

Yuzuru got injured after 4CC and lost training time. He is just in his second year senior. Had he not won the bronze last year, he will be just another unknown promising skater, so I wouldn't categorize him as PChan 2.0 Lets give him another 3-4 years before we ditch him.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Hanyu is the 2nd most overscored and held up skater in any discipline today outside of Chan. His win at Japanese Nationals this year as a farce. His win over Fernandez in one of last years grand prixes was also a farce. Like Chan he falls repeatedly and is held up by inflated GOE and PCS. I agree seeing the torch passed from Chan to Hanyu will not be any kind of improvement, and the last thing the sport needs. Well of course Hanyu is young and still could improve alot, but right now that is not what one should root for.

Unlike Chan, Hanyu actually has quite immature artistry and style (relative to the other top men of course) in addition to his consistency issues on jumps. I was glad to see appropriate PCS for him at this years Worlds for once, one of the few things the judges scoring the mens event did correctly.