Y Spiral Help! | Golden Skate

Y Spiral Help!

unicornsRawesome

Spectator
Y Spiral & Hydroblade Help!

Hi guys! :)

I've been skating since I was little, but stopped for 2 years. Now, I've restarted, and doing pretty well; I've been competing in the Primary level, and can do up to a lutz. But in both competitions, I received last place, which was quite disappointing. :-\ My coach decided to completly redo my program, and put a Y-spiral AND a hydrablade in it. I'm sort of flexible (my spirals are a bit over 90 degrees) but my leg refuse to create that beautiful Y shape. I stretch every other day, for my spiral, but I was wondering if anyone had tips on stretching to get a Y lift. Also, for my hydroblade, anyone know stretches for the leg muscles so I can go lower? Thanks! ;)

ffionhanathomas

On the Ice
Just keep stretching! To get the perfect y-shape you need to be able to do the splits comfortably, and be able to lean completely forward in them. So practice this everyday (also practice leaning backwards as this will help with your catchfoot & biellmann). Also do oversplits, so place a towel under your front leg, or/and your back leg - this will really help stretch your legs.

Practice makes perfect, so just keep stretching! It's frustrating and does take much time but when you've got it it is so worth it.

- Extra note is that they require alot of balance, so practice balancing in the y-spiral position off ice without leaning too far forwards or back - when I first starting doing them I kept falling over as I went too far back on my blade! So be careful when doing this.

Good luck:biggrin:

unicornsRawesome

Spectator
Thanks so much for your advice! :)
I'm still working on getting into my splits, forward and sideways. Any special stretches for those, too? :D

ffionhanathomas

On the Ice
Warm up for 10minutes (doing off ice jumps, jogging, etc) and then do some light stretches (e.g. toe touches) and then what I find the best is literally to hold each split. Hold one for 10-30seconds, then the next, then the next. Repeat this a few times but stop if you feel seriously sharp pain.

Good luck :)