World Team Trophy Entries | Golden Skate

World Team Trophy Entries

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Rules and who can compete in WTT
is it the Top 2 on SB skaters from a country ? or the ones who competed at Worlds

Can Julia compete ? I recall Adelina competed after Junior Worlds also

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Didn't Kovtun compete last year?

So no, the skater did not have to compete at Worlds.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
My guess is that it will be France, USA, Japan, Canada, Russia, and Italy. (Maybe China, not sure.)

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Italy should be out, since we have 0 GP Men points and just 292 GP Ladies points, since Carolina didn't compete... :(

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I believe the rule is that you HAVE TO compete at WTT if you are the top ranking skater/couple (two two for singles) AND you finish top 10 at Worlds. Otherwise everything is fair game.

MEN:
Canada: Both Patrick Chan (WR 1/WC 1) and Kevin Reynolds (WR 16 (next best)/WC 5) will be required to go
Japan: Yuzuru Hanyu (WR 2/WC 4) and Daisuke Takahashi (WR 3/WC 6) will be required to go
USA: Open field. Jeremy Abbott did not compete at Worlds and Ross Miner did not rank in the top 10, so the U.S. is free to pick whoever.
France: Brian Joubert (WR 13 (2nd best for France)/WC 9) will be required to go. Florent Amodio will not since he did not rank in the top 10 at Worlds.
Russia: Open field. Two two ranking guys were Gachniski and Menshov and neither competed at Worlds.
China: Open field. Han Yan did not compete at Worlds and Nan Song did not place in the top 10.

LADIES
Canada: Kaetlyn Osmond (WR 32/WC 8) will have to compete. Amelie Lacoste is ranked 24 in WR, but was not at Worlds so not obliged to compete.
Japan: Mao Asada ( WR 3/WC 3) will have to compete. Akiko Suzuki is the top ranking skater, but she did not place in the top 10 at Worlds.
USA: Ashley Wagner (WR 5/WC 5) will have to compete. Alissa Czisny (WR 11) is out for the season, so the second spot is open.
France: Open field. Neither of the France's top ranked skaters got top 10 at Worlds.
Russia: Adelina Sotnikova (WR 9/WC 9) will have to compete; second spot is open as top ranking Leonova did not finish top 10 at Worlds.
China: Zijun Li (WR 13/WC 7) will have to compete; second spot is open sine Kexin Zhang did not finish in the top 10 at Worlds.

PAIRS
Canada: Duhamel/Radford (WR 3/WC 3) will have to compete
Japan: ???? They only have one pair really not sure if they will be ready for WTT.
USA: Open. Denney/Coughlin were not at Worlds. Not sure who they would send.
France: James/Cipres (WR 12/ WC 8) will have to compete
Russia: Volosozhar/Trankov (WR 1/WC 1) will have to compete
China: Pang/Tong (WR 5/WC 5) will have to compete

DANCE:
Canada: Virtue/Moir (WR 2/WC 2) will have to compete
Japan: Open, but likely will be the Reeds.
USA: Davis/White (WR 1 /WC 1) will have to compete
France: Pechalat/Bourzat (WR 3/WC 6) will have to compete
Russia: Bobrova/Soloviev (WR 4/WC 3) will have to compete
China: Open.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Allegedly there are rules for the selection of the skaters. Given that Kovtun went to WTT for Russia last year without having been to Senior OR Junior Worlds, I think it's evident that the rules aren't followed.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Allegedly there are rules for the selection of the skaters. Given that Kovtun went to WTT for Russia last year without having been to Senior OR Junior Worlds, I think it's evident that the rules aren't followed.

Not to mention Gracie Gold who at that point had competed at two (junior) international competitions only

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

But there's no rule saying someone had to go to Worlds to participate. The rule is geared toward top ranking skaters who were at Worlds. Basically if you are one of the top two ranking skaters and you placed top 10 at Worlds you have to compete.

So in the case of Russia, neither of the two top ranking skaters (Gachinski or Voronov) were top 10 at Worlds so they were free to send Kovtun instead.

Not to mention Gracie Gold who at that point had competed at two (junior) international competitions only

Similar situation. The top two ranked skaters were Alissa and Ashley. But Alissa did not finish in the top 10 and had the option to opt out. (Also there were allowances for injury.) And IIRC the spot was offered to others but was refused, hence the decision to send Gracie.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
So in summary:

* - Denotes that they must go (or be penalized in some fashion)

Canada
Mens: Chan*, Reynolds*
Ladies: Osmond*, Lacoste
Pairs: Duhamel/Radford*
Ice Dance: Davis & White*

Japan
Mens: Hanyu*, Takahashi*
Ladies: Asada*, Murakami (maybe Suzuki)
Pairs: ??? (Narumi & Kihara may not be ready by then)
Dance: Reed & Reed

USA
Mens: Aaron, Miner (maybe Abbott)
Ladies: Wagner*, Gold
Pairs: Castelli & Shnapir (maybe Scimeca & Knierim)
Ice Dance: Virtue/Moir*

France
Mens: Joubert*, Amodio
Ladies: Meite, Gilleron-Gorry
Pairs: James & Cipres*
Ice Dance: Pechalat & Bourzat*

Russia
Men: Menshov, Kovtun (maybe Gachniski)
Ladies: Sotnikova*, Lipnitskaia (maybe Leonova)
Pairs: Volosozhar & Trankov*
Dance: Bobrova & Soloviev*

China
Mens: Song, Yan
Ladies: Li*, Zhang
Pairs: Pang & Tong*
Dance: Yu & Wang

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
what penalty did V/T got last season ?
I thought the penalty was you can skip but not attend any ice shows

because I doubt V/T will be there again
I think Stolbova/Klimov will go as mentioned in some previous articles

I hope Lipnitskaya goes, Im tired of Leonova falling on every jump
I dont want to see Leonova there again

marcolee925

Rinkside
So in summary:

* - Denotes that they must go (or be penalized in some fashion)

Canada
Mens: Chan*, Reynolds*
Ladies: Osmond*, Lacoste
Pairs: Duhamel/Radford*
Ice Dance: Davis & White*

Japan
Mens: Hanyu*, Takahashi*
Ladies: Asada*, Murakami (maybe Suzuki)
Pairs: ??? (Narumi & Kihara may not be ready by then)
Dance: Reed & Reed

USA
Mens: Aaron, Miner (maybe Abbott)
Ladies: Wagner*, Gold
Pairs: Castelli & Shnapir (maybe Scimeca & Knierim)
Ice Dance: Virtue/Moir*

France
Mens: Joubert*, Amodio
Ladies: Meite, Gilleron-Gorry
Pairs: James & Cipres*
Ice Dance: Pechalat & Bourzat*

Russia
Men: Menshov, Kovtun (maybe Gachniski)
Ladies: Sotnikova*, Lipnitskaia (maybe Leonova)
Pairs: Volosozhar & Trankov*
Dance: Bobrova & Soloviev*

China
Mens: Song, Yan
Ladies: Li*, Zhang
Pairs: Pang & Tong*
Dance: Yu & Wang

You need to swap D&W with V&M.

If I were Skate Canada, I would definitely send Daleman or even Chartrand (if they are age elilgible) before sending Lacoste. Barring injuries, the second entries for dance and pairs are no brainers.

For US, Aaron and Gold seem to be the top picks, but for the second US man, I prefer Farris since he just won Jr Worlds. This will give him experience the way it gave Gold last year at the same event.

Sending Menshov and Kotvun seem like a smart choice - compensation for Menshov and redemption for Kotvun. Lip is not eligible for Worlds this season - is she eligible for this? In any event I think the natural choice would be Sot and Tuk.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Sending Menshov and Kotvun seem like a smart choice - compensation for Menshov and redemption for Kotvun. Lip is not eligible for Worlds this season - is she eligible for this? In any event I think the natural choice would be Sot and Tuk.

Lipnitskaya is still 14 years old so probably not

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Adelina had the same case last year - not eligible for worlds, but went to WTT. So pretty surely Julia could go too.

And I don't get where people get that sense of "these skaters have to go or they'll be pemalized!" from? Definitly not from last years WTT.

Hanyu was injured last year and didn't compete, he seems to be even worse this year, so I'll doubt he'll have to go. Maybe he'd want to, but for now, I'm not really expecting him to be there. Especially since Japan has so many other great man... I'm not sure if Takahashi will go. Last season, it was a very good event for him, but this year he looks so exhausted. It might be another good opportunity for Mura, or if Kozuka is healthy again, he could make a little comeback here to show he's still someone to watch out for.
France will probably go with Joubert and Amodio, but mainly, I just don't know whom else they could send.
Chan and Reynolds looks reasonable for Canada too, and China will very likely send Song and Yan.
Russia should send Menshov, but I wouldn't expect Voronov to be there. Probably Kovtun, if he doesn't want to go, maybe it'll be Gachinski.
America I think should send Aaron, he's done very well for himself that season and doesn't look that exhausted to me. Farris would be the other best choice I think, it would be a great first showing against the top senior men.

For the ladies: I fear Suzuki will be left out and it will be Asada and Murakami to compete (although Mao skipped WTT last season too). China has Li and Zhang. I'd like to see Gao being allowed to skate here, but it will probably be Wagner and Gold.
The russian entries are a little harder to predict, but I guess Sotnikova will be there. Second one might be Lipnitskaya, to give her more experience. I'd like to see Tuktamysheva, but I guess Mishin won't like that.
For Canada, I'd like to see another one of the younger girls, like Daleman, next to Osmond, but maybe it will be Lacoste after all.
Meite will have to go for France, but that second spot...

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Adelina was 15 when she competed, Julia is still 14
does WTT follow the Worlds age requirement ? If not I would be happy to see Julia compete. No more Leonova this season Pls she is a mess already

I am sure these Penalties don't apply
V/T am almost certain will not compete again, it will be Stolbova/Klimov

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
If the WTT followed the worlds age requirement than Adelina couldn't have skated there last season. She was 15 too when worlds happened, becoming 15 on July 1st wasn't enough for worlds but still it was for WTT (she would have needed to be 15 before July 1st for worlds). I'm not knowing the exact age requierements for WTT, but I thought Liza could have gone last year too when she was still 14 - at least there was talk about her declining, if I remember correctly.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
For the ladies: I fear Suzuki will be left out and it will be Asada and Murakami to compete (although Mao skipped WTT last season too). China has Li and Zhang. I'd like to see Gao being allowed to skate here, but it will probably be Wagner and Gold.
The russian entries are a little harder to predict, but I guess Sotnikova will be there. Second one might be Lipnitskaya, to give her more experience. I'd like to see Tuktamysheva, but I guess Mishin won't like that.
For Canada, I'd like to see another one of the younger girls, like Daleman, next to Osmond, but maybe it will be Lacoste after all.
Meite will have to go for France, but that second spot...
For Japan: it will be 90% Mao and Kanako, last year Mao skipped WTT because of Worlds' poor result. I think Russia will send Adelina and Liza, but I would like to see Pogorilaya there, I think that both Radionova and Lipnitskaya are not age-eligible. For USA it will be Wagner and Gold, for sure.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
For Japan: it will be 90% Mao and Kanako, last year Mao skipped WTT because of Worlds' poor result. I think Russia will send Adelina and Liza, but I would like to see Pogorilaya there, I think that both Radionova and Lipnitskaya are not age-eligible. For USA it will be Wagner and Gold, for sure.

Liza I don't think will go, Mishin has never send any of his students to a WTT
Pogorilaya is also 14, so If Lipnitskaya is permitted they will send her, this will be good experience for Julia and she is returning to form

sad but I agree Akiko is done like Leonova