Should/will Ashley Wagner Retire after the Olympics? | Golden Skate

Should/will Ashley Wagner Retire after the Olympics?

rkuang

Rinkside
Even though this is her break-out year, I don't know how much higher up the placement she will get. I really do respect her attitude, but once she gets to the Olympics (which is pretty solid unless she gets injured), I don't know what else she could accomplish after that. My only doubt is that skaters are retiring later and later these days, which I like, but it certainly is tough contending with the newcomers.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
There are two possibilities in my opinion:
-this off-season she works hard on 3-3 and 2A+3T and she lands them consistently next season, so she can be a medal contender in Sochi;
-she remains at this season's level (between 4th and 6th in the world).
If the first possibility becomes real, she should stay after Sochi because, with Yu-Na and Caro (and probably Mao) retiring, she could become even WC, if the second will (likely) become real, she should go to the Olympics, enjoy it and then retire...

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I think she will stay 1 or 2 more years regardless and retire either after the 2015 or 2016 Worlds. Regardless if she improves technically or not with all the retirements she will atleast have a fighting shot at a medal at the 2015, and maybe 2014 (depending who goes) and 2016 (if she stays until then) Worlds. I dont think anyway she stays until 2018.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wagner could have trouble holding off Gracie next season. Gracie has beaten her in the LP two straight times now. If Gold starts skating clean programs Wagner will be in trouble with no 3-3 combo. At the very least she needs to start doing the 2A+3T. Why didn't she do at least 2axel3toe jump this season? It was obvious at Worlds that you have to do a 3-3 now and Ashley not doing one really stood out.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Wagner could have trouble holding off Gracie next season. Gracie has beaten her in the LP two straight times now. If Gold starts skating clean programs Wagner will be in trouble with no 3-3 combo. At the very least she needs to start doing the 2A+3T. Why didn't she do at least 2axel3toe jump this season? It was obvious at Worlds that you have to do a 3-3 now and Ashley not doing one really stood out.

I think Ashley will work super hard on both 3-3 combos and mastering the 2 axel-3 toe combo in the off season. She will also work on her spin levels, and continuing to improve her PCS. Whether she is successful will be another question entirely.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
She's been talking about that 3x3 for how long? Let's get real. She is a second tier skater. Never going to challenge anyone. Can't believe people thought she would win world just 2 months ago.

The real problem is her TES is never good. She is not a jumping Phenom turned artist on ice like the podium finishers this year. She was just meh her entire competitive career.

suzukifan27

Match Penalty
Earlier this season, I laughed loudly when folks touted her as a serious gold medal contender. Yes, she did have some success at the GP events by being 'consistent' and 'watering down' the technical content. But based on rational analysis, you could see her technical deficiency was just too much to overcome. She has no 3+3, no 2a+3t while 8 or 10 women these days can consistently land them. Her 'new' strategy seemed to be working for a while and that deluded her and her coach. The truth is that she was lucky in sneaking into the last group after the sp w/o at least a 3t+3t. There is no chance she can be competitive without increasing the technical difficulty.
Her coaching team keeps on postponing that, which makes it impossible to be a contender.

Icey

Record Breaker
I think Ashley has peaked as a skater and will not accomplish much more than she already has. Although she will undoubtedly be on the Olympic team, she is going to have problems hanging on to her national title.

MKFSfan

Medalist
I really never understood or never will understand the whole "should so and so retire?" IMO, if Ashley or Fumie or whoever wants to continue with amateur skating competitions, they should. Why does it matter if Ashley makes it to the Olympics and then never hits another podium in an eligible skating competition again? There is a reason more than 3 people attend a competition on any given day.

Ashley isn't really my cup of tea. I REALLY try to like her and have tried to get behind her as the new "IT" skater for the US, but she is just nice, IMO. However, I don't feel as though she has to hang up her skates following 2014 Olys, even if she wins Gold or finishes 4th, and never makes a final flight again.

JMHO of course!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley is 21 years old, and 22 next season. Why on earth should she retire at a time when she could be nearing her peak as a skater? Kostner won her first World Championship last year at 25, 12 years after she started skating internationally. Yu-Na and Kim will be 23 next year. Akiko Suzuki will be 28 this month.

suzukifan27

Match Penalty
Ashley is 21 years old, and 22 next season. Why on earth should she retire at a time when she could be nearing her peak as a skater? Kostner won her first World Championship last year at 25, 12 years after she started skating internationally. Yu-Na and Kim will be 23 next year. Akiko Suzuki will be 28 this month.

I agree. Even I think Ashely has stalled technically, I also don't believe it's our business to ask skaters to stop. We don't pay their bills. It's their business.

This sort of thread is simply crazy. It reflects certain posters' laziness. It's stupid and meaningless speculation... It's actually great that so many female skaters can still vie for gold medal in their 20s. In the past, many female skaters have quit before 20.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
IMO, Ashley will have a good shot at winning a World title at the post-Olympic worlds, if people like Yu-Na and maybe Mao and Carolina don't compete. I think she is capable of beating Mao and Carolina though, if they make mistakes (well, Caro will have to make a few) and she does her best.

suzukifan27

Match Penalty
IMO, Ashley will have a good shot at winning a World title at the post-Olympic worlds, if people like Yu-Na and maybe Mao and Carolina don't compete. I think she is capable of beating Mao and Carolina though, if they make mistakes (well, Caro will have to make a few) and she does her best.

I disagree. Right now, Ashley needs to increase her technical content big time. She lost to teeneger Zujun Li and Gold in long program. If both were clean in SP with 3+3 which they were quite capable of, Ashely might slip to 7th place. In 1-2 years, two Russians, Gold, Li, and Osmond will likely be on par with Ashley even without the big three.

guanchi

On the Ice
Ashley at Sochi would "only" be 22, but time is running out to up her technical content. Compare her to skaters who have been successful in their later years- Caro, Miki, Shizuka, Joannie. All those 4 are some of the strongest technical skaters to have ever laced up. Oh, you might find a lip here and there, and a loss of some 3-3's, but their jumps are usually secure, sound, rotated. Ashley is not of this group.
Doesn't mean she has to retire- her decision- but I think she is stuck with her current jumps. The younger skaters are more technical, hungry, and will quickly overtake her.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think Ashley may stick around a season or two, provided she's healthy and motivated to continue competing, after Sochi just to see if she can win a World medal or title. She maybe has a very slim chance at medaling at the Olympics or Worlds next season, and were she to manage that, I think she would retire after next season. But, if she doesn't get an Olympic or World medal next season but is still scoring well, skating well, and getting good results (like top 5-6), then she might be motivated to continue just where the field likely will be a little cleared out by the 2014-2015 season and without the presence of incredible talents like Yuna, Mao, and Caro, Ashley might have a real shot (of course by then, there will probably be other stars on the rise that may have surpassed Ashley already - Li, Gold, at least a handful of Russian girls, Osmond, etc. all seem capable of potentially doing that by then, not to mention there are a number of strong young ladies in the US). Obviously next season is what she is focused on now, so I think she will see how things go and decide what to do after next season (provided she goes to the Olympics in the first place, which seems quite likely, but on the off-chance she doesn't, I would think she will definitely retire after next season). It might also depend on Nicks and if she can find a good coaching match with someone else.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Ashley at Sochi would "only" be 22, but time is running out to up her technical content. Compare her to skaters who have been successful in their later years- Caro, Miki, Shizuka, Joannie. All those 4 are some of the strongest technical skaters to have ever laced up. Oh, you might find a lip here and there, and a loss of some 3-3's, but their jumps are usually secure, sound, rotated.

What about Kiira and Laura though? Or even Czisny that one season she did very well internationally? They weren't the strongest jumpers and didn't do well because of consistently hitting hard combos and reeling off triple after triple. I know Czisny has her spins and Kiira and Laura sometimes have 3t-3t, but, idk, I do think some skaters are rewarded for their maturity and artistry and will do well provided they skate well. Now are these three skaters really considered the best of the best? No, perhaps the bottom of the top tier, if that makes sense, but Laura did win bronze at Worlds (even if how she got to it was somewhat a joke) and had a 4th place FS at the Olympics, and all 3 have a number of international medals.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Why compare Ashley to someone like Carolina?
Even 10 years ago, Carolina was skating like a future champion. She was the fastest and she had a few different triple triples. Immediately threatened for medal at the top level.

Ashley has been around and can't even make a name for herself and suddenly people think she gonna blossom into a top tier skater? Where is the foundation?

Same with shizuka. That girl has skills no one had. You know if she skate clean, she would be unstoppable.

A clean Ashley would come in about 6th or 7th. That is not future champion material.

artsciboy

On the Ice
Why should she retire? Ashley is still the no. 1 US lady. Yes, Gracie beat her in the LP at both Nationals and Worlds. But at Worlds, Gracie beat her just barely in the FS, and Ashley had a disruptive fall to boot. The judges still prefer Ashley to Gracie - yes, Ashley needs to step it up technically, but she's still a reliable competitor whom you can count on to deliver 6 triples in a performance. Not many of the top skaters are able to do that - Carolina did 5, Mao did 5, etc. Now, when I compare Ashley at Worlds to how she skated earlier in the season - at Worlds, she looked scared and slower than she was on the GP circuit. I think the falls at Nationals and the GPF, and then the pressure of getting 3 spots, made her skate more cautiously. If Ashley can get back the confidence and attack that she had throughout 2012, she'll be in fighting shape next year - and dare I say it, challenge for the podium at Olympics and Worlds.

guanchi

On the Ice
What about Kiira and Laura though? Or even Czisny that one season she did very well internationally? They weren't the strongest jumpers and didn't do well because of consistently hitting hard combos and reeling off triple after triple. I know Czisny has her spins and Kiira and Laura sometimes have 3t-3t, but, idk, I do think some skaters are rewarded for their maturity and artistry and will do well provided they skate well. Now are these three skaters really considered the best of the best? No, perhaps the bottom of the top tier, if that makes sense, but Laura did win bronze at Worlds (even if how she got to it was somewhat a joke) and had a 4th place FS at the Olympics, and all 3 have a number of international medals.

As bolded, I think that is def. where they are, tho Laura had some nice qualities like blazing speed, a huge 3t-3t, and nice lutz too. But time and injuries must've been catching up to her, too bad about her retirement. Seems like those doubled jumps at 2010 were about playing it safe and using her nice basic skating to podium. And it's kinda weird- both Finnish skaters have a remarkably similar look on the ice- a stiff carriage, the way they stroke, the way they ball their fists into the jumps, air position, def. a distinctive look both share, imo.
I think Laura always hovered near the top, and often knocked on the top floor (Euro champ, 3rd at worlds), that she was always an athletic skater with interesting programs, but not thought of as innately artistic. Her speed and jumps were 1st rate- but maybe time caught up with her b4 she could fully develop her artistry.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I really never understood or never will understand the whole "should so and so retire?" IMO, if Ashley or Fumie or whoever wants to continue with amateur skating competitions, they should. Why does it matter if Ashley makes it to the Olympics and then never hits another podium in an eligible skating competition again? There is a reason more than 3 people attend a competition on any given day.

Ashley isn't really my cup of tea. I REALLY try to like her and have tried to get behind her as the new "IT" skater for the US, but she is just nice, IMO. However, I don't feel as though she has to hang up her skates following 2014 Olys, even if she wins Gold or finishes 4th, and never makes a final flight again.

JMHO of course!

:yay: It's my opinion too though I actually really like Ashley (though I don't love her and probably will never be what I'd consider a true 'fan' of hers).

It is up to Ashley if she wants to retire. With her sponsorships and prize moneys from the past two years she is one of the lucky few in the USA who can surely afford to keep going if she wants to, even with no help from parents, so if she wants to more power to her. If she doesn't, more power to her too! I personally hope she will keep going but it's not up to me in the slightest.