Olympic Season Grand Prix Assigments | Golden Skate

Olympic Season Grand Prix Assigments

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Hi I was interested in knowing what Davis/White and Chock/Bates might choose for their grand prix assignments for next season. Are they allowed to choose? If so, strategically I think they both should choose Skate America and NHK, or I think D/W should choose Russia before Barbrova/Soloviev picks it. Im not sure if C/B would be allowed to go to Russia, which if they could, would probably be a double-edged sword.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi I was interested in knowing what Davis/White and Chock/Bates might choose for their grand prix assignments for next season. Are they allowed to choose? If so, strategically I think they both should choose Skate America and NHK, or I think D/W should choose Russia before Barbrova/Soloviev picks it. Im not sure if C/B would be allowed to go to Russia, which if they could, would probably be a double-edged sword.

As the #1 seed, D/W can state their preference, which would usually be granted.

BUT Host Picks go first before seed selection, and Russia will definitely pick #3 B/S for CoR, and Canada will pick #2 V/M so that means D/W can't do CoR or SC---the top 3 seeds cannot meet in GP events. So D/W's choice will likely be TEB or NHK.

Chock/Bates are not a seeded team, so they have no say as to where they will skate.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
As the #1 seed, D/W can state their preference, which would usually be granted.

BUT Host Picks go first before seed selection, and Russia will definitely pick #3 B/S for CoR, and Canada will pick #2 V/M so that means D/W can't do CoR or SC---the top 3 seeds cannot meet in GP events. So D/W's choice will likely be TEB or NHK.

Chock/Bates are not a seeded team, so they have no say as to where they will skate.

Can the USFSA pick C/B though?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sure, the US can pick Chock/Bates, but since Madison and Evan are guaranteed two GP invitations (every team in the top 12 at Worlds will get two), they might pick two teams who aren't guaranteed two invites. For instance, they might want to give a spot to Aldridge/Eaton, who won bronze at JW and are moving up to the GP, but aren't likely to get two invitations.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Can the USFSA pick C/B though?

I don't see them doing that. C/B and the Shibs will get two spots automatically for finishing in the Top 12 at Worlds; so they're going to try to maximize those GP spots.

For some perspective:

2012: Davis/White; Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt; Cannuscio/McManus
2011: Davis/White; Cannuscio/Lorello; Hubbell/Donohue
2010: Davis/White; Kriengkrairut/Giuliett-Schmitt; Shibutanis
2009: Belbin/Agosto; Navarro/Bommentre; Chock/Zuerlein
2008: Belbin/Agosto; Samuelson/Bates; Summersett/Gilles

So the general pattern has been: National Champ, Rising Jr. champion and two mid-tier senior teams or two mid-tier senior teams. Or they pick a team that is relatively new to the scene and didn't have international comeback skater status (see Hubbell/Donohue).

My guess they would do Davis/White, Aldridge/Eaton and perhaps Cannuscio/McManus or Olson/Hubbell. K/G-S is on the top 24 on the SB's list (barely) so they probably can get one GP (maybe even two) on their own.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
I don't see them doing that. C/B and the Shibs will get two spots automatically for finishing in the Top 12 at Worlds; so they're going to try to maximize those GP spots.

For some perspective:

2012: Davis/White; Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt; Cannuscio/McManus
2011: Davis/White; Cannuscio/Lorello; Hubbell/Donohue
2010: Davis/White; Kriengkrairut/Giuliett-Schmitt; Shibutanis
2009: Belbin/Agosto; Navarro/Bommentre; Chock/Zuerlein
2008: Belbin/Agosto; Samuelson/Bates; Summersett/Gilles

So the general pattern has been: National Champ, Rising Jr. champion and two mid-tier senior teams or two mid-tier senior teams. Or they pick a team that is relatively new to the scene and didn't have international comeback skater status (see Hubbell/Donohue).

My guess they would do Davis/White, Aldridge/Eaton and perhaps Cannuscio/McManus or Olson/Hubbell. K/G-S is on the top 24 on the SB's list (barely) so they probably can get one GP (maybe even two) on their own.

Hmm I was thinking the USFSA would be wise to pick C/B for Skate America where they could finish second to D/W, otherwise they run the risk of being sacrificed on enemy territory, like the Shibutani's were this past season.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Hmm I was thinking the USFSA would be wise to pick C/B for Skate America where they could finish second to D/W, otherwise they run the risk of being sacrificed on enemy territory, like the Shibutani's were this past season.

I doubt they care much for C/B chances of making GPF, they are still not at that level yet, not even with fed support. Skate America assignments (not only in dance) have always been about their biggest star, plus the promising up and coming and the third spot for the B-listers who did well last season or during summer.

Chuck, how do Hubbell and Donohue stand, with respect to a host pick at Skate America or assignment elsewhere?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After the WR data purge, Hubbell/Donohue will be in the top 24 on WR and also #16 on the SB list. I think they are likely to get two GP invitations and so won't be a host pick for SA.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
I doubt they care much for C/B chances of making GPF, they are still not at that level yet, not even with fed support. Skate America assignments (not only in dance) have always been about their biggest star, plus the promising up and coming and the third spot for the B-listers who did well last season or during summer.

I was actually thinking more of their reputation. The Shibutani's were beaten by that junior team in Russia so I'm sure that must have damaged their standing in the eyes of the judges

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
CoR was the Shibs' first GP of the season. It isn't that surprising that they were beaten by two Russian teams on home ice, considering that there were 3 former SSR and 2 Eastern European judges on the panel. They did well to finish 4th under the circumstances. Also, their SD hasn't been well received this season, either internationally or domestically.

BTW, that Junior (actually, moving up from Junior) Russian team finished 5th at Russian Nationals. They were beaten by the third Russian team at CoR whom the Shibutanis DID beat.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
CoR was the Shibs' first GP of the season. It isn't that surprising that they were beaten by two Russian teams on home ice, considering that there were 3 former SSR and 2 Eastern European judges on the panel. They did well to finish 4th under the circumstances. Also, their SD hasn't been well received this season, either internationally or domestically.

In spite of all that, I still feel that it was a slap in the face...

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Sure, the US can pick Chock/Bates, but since Madison and Evan are guaranteed two GP invitations (every team in the top 12 at Worlds will get two), they might pick two teams who aren't guaranteed two invites. For instance, they might want to give a spot to Aldridge/Eaton, who won bronze at JW and are moving up to the GP, but aren't likely to get two invitations.

Was thinking about this too. Would they not change their mindset during Olympic season? I remember one Olympic season where both Michelle and Tara did Skate America. It was a fantastic competition!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Russians probably thought it was a slap in the face for the Junior Russian team S/Z being beaten at Cup of China by teams like Chock/Bates (their only GP this past season) and Guignard/Fabbri. In just a week, S/Z improved their score by 8 points!

In the overall scheme of things, 2012 CoR is not that important. I/K beat the Shibs at CoR, but finished behind them at Worlds 2013. And S/Z didn't get sent to any ISU championship. That is considerably more significant.

wishonastar

On the Ice
I imagine the skater's know long before the official assignments are posted where they are going?

Does anyone know how K/G-S sit for assignments? Could they possibly be given Skate America? I don't believe they will qualify in SB or WR for two assignments, so maybe USFS will consider them?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I imagine the skater's know long before the official assignments are posted where they are going?

Does anyone know how K/G-S sit for assignments? Could they possibly be given Skate America? I don't believe they will qualify in SB or WR for two assignments, so maybe USFS will consider them?

They are No. 24 in SB, so they will get at least one if not two.

Trewyn

Medalist

I don't think so... I think they can let the federation know their preferences (but those are often ignored). Everything gets decided on the ISU congress, iirc, and is announced not that long after.

Since Ashley & Gracie both finished top 6, the cannot get the same GPs; I wonder which on the USFSA is going to pick for Skate America.
And will Nagasu get two assignments?