Dancing With The Stars-GO Dorothy! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Dancing With The Stars-GO Dorothy!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks heyang, I didn't think I was going to enjoy this season without Maks but Gleb is a good replacement. :laugh: :laugh:

heyang

Record Breaker
I think Aly's coming out of her shell..... She definitely learned a lot from Whitney (BTW, she and pro Lindsay were BFF''s on last summer's So You THink You can Dance. Both were in the top 20 and were roommates. Lindsay was eliminated before Whitney.)

It was so lovely watching tonight. I feared they would cancel the show, but they tastefully mentioned the events in Boston and went on anyway. I think we needed it as a consolation. Tom Bergeron has such a tactful way of mentioning everything, and to see the vitality of the dancers reminded me that our duty and privilege is to keep life going.

I really love this "copycat" format. It clearly helped the celebrities (as you say, Aly learned a lot), and it was fun for us to watch the "role models" to see the ideal of the dance. I loved the quickstep best. The pro pair were especially stunning.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Have to agree with Olympia; it was good, much better than I thought it would be. Loved Jacoby's jive! What fun! And I loved Derek and Kellie's. But I was completely blown away by Zendaya/Val! Wow! When they said they had Argentine tango, I cringed and thought that it would be sleazy but it wasn't. Years ago I went to see a tango show and was amazed to see several different styles of Argentine tango. There was one that was quite capricious and fun and I was thinking that this would be the style for them to do. And they did! Great minds!
It was interesting to see the celebs learning from the pros (especially of their own sex); you could see lightbulbs going on over their heads! This was a really good idea.
The whole evening was well done and very tasteful, in light of Boston.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Heyang, thanks for letting us know that Maks was going to be on the show. No one dances as big and showy as Maks does. I have missed him this year so it was a GREAT BIG TREAT!!!

It was indeed a wonderful treat to see Maks. He is such a charismatic dancer. And I've always been very fond of Anna T. Didn't you love watching Maks and his brother teasing each other?

I can't get over Jacoby's uncanny talent (Yipes! A standing leap over his partner's head!). He's like those old-time movie dancers such as Buddy Ebsen.

Scrufflet, I didn't know there were different styles of Argentinian tango. I'll have to hunt around online. There's actually a Carlos Saura movie about tango, I seem to recall, though it has a rather soap-opera plot around the dancing.

I agree with you that Zendaya's tango suited her youth, so she didn't look as if she were pretending to more life experience than she had, like some of those little girl skaters mugging to overly sultry music. I love Argentinian tango, and it's often been the best dance of the season for a DWTS contestant.

Val must think he's died and gone to Heaven after getting two such amazing partners in a row, Kelly Monaco and now Zendaya.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
I love seeing tango live, especially with tons of bandoneons! Those things are notoriously difficult to play; they aren't just longer accordions.
I think the right one got sent home. Somehow D.L. just looked like he wasn't into it. Compare with bachelor Sean who has really thrown himself into it. It's turning out to be a much better season than I'd expected. Now if we could just get rid of Brooke! (Ooops, snark eruption)

I thought that last season Brooke was starting to sound more natural, but this year she's sounding canned again. I feel bad saying anything against her, because she's had such a difficult year, but next to the phenomenally good Tom Bergeron, she seems almost robotic. She can't talk over the background cheering and doesn't know how to modulate her voice to dominate it, and her phrase rhythm doesn't vary to take advantage of quiet spots and useful moments. In a way, it's unfair to compare anyone to Bergeron. He has that great broadcaster's voice (and maybe a man has an advantage in pitch over woman when it comes to speaking against a shrieking crowd), and he's able to create a connection between himself and the viewers as well as between himself and the other people onstage. And his ability to come up with the right phrase, one that always hits the right side of the line between funny and questionable, is legendary. Last night when Andy Dick made a rather vulgar joke on his own surname, Bergeron just said something like "I have no words." So Brooke has her work cut out for her.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last night when Andy Dick made a rather vulgar joke on his own surname, Bergeron just said something like "I have no words." So Brooke has her work cut out for her.

This show has been great for Andy Dick....I was wondering when he would work his last name into something....it was good!!! I thought Brooke was going to have a heart attack over it....Tom is great!!!

One appealing thing about the show is how dedicated the celebrities generally are. They're unashamedly eager to do well (with some exceptions such as Mrs. Gosselin) and touchingly grateful when they get a good critique. D.L. Hughley literally buckled at the knees when he was called safe on one or two results shows. And Andy Dick, who is as stiff as a board, tries hard to move with some semblance of grace and simply doesn't give up. I love that both Andy and D.L. competed wearing their glasses. It's great to watch the really talented contestants give the pro partners a chance to perform something challenging, but it's also nice to see people with about as much dance talent as I have give it their all and improve.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mark Ballas is a punk for challenging Andy Dick in the dance-off.

I agree and that's why he's not one of my favorites, not only that but for other reasons too.

heyang

Record Breaker
I agree and that's why he's not one of my favorites, not only that but for other reasons too.

I was surprised that he went that way, too.

I thought it was really classy of Val to pick their biggest competition to compete against. I knew the judges would go for technique over flash, but I wish at least one of them had thrown a vote towards Jacoby.

I have always liked his dancing, but I didn't like this particular move. Like you, Heyang, I was impressed with Val's choice of an opponent.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
I have always liked his dancing, but I didn't like this particular move. Like you, Heyang, I was impressed with Val's choice of an opponent.

Ditto to that! Val's move lightened the tone. By the way, these shows make me feel like I'm on tattoo-watch. Mark, please cover up! I cringe now when I see the shirts coming off. I'm with Len Goodman on this! So glad Derek does not appear to have any as he is my favourite.

As for who goes home tonight, it will probably be Andy although I hope it's Sean as I've had enough of him.

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
Like you, Heyang, I was impressed with Val's choice of an opponent.

He knew they'd likely win and in doing so they asserted dance supremacy -- not necessarily popularity -- over another top team. Seriously, what would it have proved to beat Sean and Peta? So it was classy on Val's part and it played to Zendaya's advantage. It also showed what a (trying to think of a clean word here) jerk Mark is that he picked Andy and Sharna.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Wow, I have never had a season in which I have so strongly had two co-favorites. For me Zendaya and Aly are just delights. At first I liked Zen and Kellie, but for me Kellie has remained a little one-note in her presentation whereas Aly has not only shown improvement overall, but has shown different styles and moods. Kellie is still fantastic, though, and I would like to see a Zendaya, Aly, Kellie final three, though I doubt that will happen as I see Jacoby in the finals due to popularity. Not sure which young woman will be bumped -- probably Aly or Zen which would really bum me out! :cry:

I agreed with Len tonight about Kellie's trio dance -- seemed like a lot of almost silly posing and not much dancing. I still liked it and would not have scored it a 7, but I think it needed more traditional steps to get the 10, so for me it was more an 8 or 9 == and of course the choreo is strictly on the pros, not the contestant, but nevertheless that was what was put on the floor to be judged. I was surprised that even one judge called them on the lack of dance content, because as I was mentally rolling my eyes a bit while I watched I was sure that the judges would eat it up, and I wanted to cheer when Len started complaining about the flashing lights and crashing music w/o traditional steps.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agreed with Len tonight about Kellie's trio dance -- seemed like a lot of almost silly posing and not much dancing. I was surprised that even one judge called them on the lack of dance content, because as I was mentally rolling my eyes a bit while I watched I was sure that the judges would eat it up, and I wanted to cheer when Len started complaining about the flashing lights and crashing music w/o traditional steps.

I, too, agree with Len....I think Derek just about lost it. Who was the choreography for .... Kellie or to show the pros off???

Zendaya is amazing, I hope she is in the finals; I think she deserves to be there. Val's choreography shows her off splendidly unlike Deriek & Mark who like to show off themselves. Just my opinion.