Kaetlyn, Gracie, Zijun, Liza, Adelina | Golden Skate

Kaetlyn, Gracie, Zijun, Liza, Adelina

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Earlier this year I made a thread about 4 of these girls, minus Li...Now I'd like to know how do you guys think, do they stand a chance at the Olympics next year in Sochi? Who has the biggest chance not to choke but do their best there? Who is going to rule ladies fs after Olys?
After World I think the biggest threat is Gracie Gold. She gets better everytime I see her. Li was absolutely fantastic too! If she keeps on being consistent, she will be a huge force, I believe. Veery strong technique + good presence on the ice.
Osmond has spark. Adelina gets better too...
What do you think?

YunaBliss

On the Ice
If we are talking about Sochi, then surely, the best results will come from Liza and Adelina, I think.

More long term post-Sochi, I think Kaetlyn will always be very popular due to her natural charm, but not sure about her technical abilities at this point.

Zijun will need to develop more strength and physicality, I think, to reach the very top.

Right now, my bet would be on Gracie Gold -- if she can develop more artistry.

Redstone

Rinkside
I think that basically all of them are in the same boat, they are the wild cards for the Olys and I wouldn't be surprised if any of them end on the podium. But I agree with YunaBliss that Liza and Adelina probably still have a slightly better chances because of the combination of the home ice advantage and reputation. But really, only the next year GP will show who's on top.

jaylee

Medalist
I think each of those skaters have talent, unique strengths and weaknesses, and the potential to be the best. Gracie and Liza have the best jumps and the most difficulty in terms of combinations; Kaetlyn has high quality jumps but not the most difficult combinations; Zijun and Adelina have difficult combinations but not the best technique. Zijun had a nicely choreographed FS and Kaetlyn had an excellent SP, but the others desperately need better choreography from now on. Kaetlyn has the strongest transitions, Adelina has the best spins, etc. I think they all have a nice presence/charisma on ice.

I wouldn't say that any of them have consistency "issues" right now in spite of their random falls/mistakes at Worlds; they're young and have little "big" competitive experience, so as they get more experience and learn how to deal with pressure and expectations, I think they'll become more consistent.

I don't think it'll happen by the Olympics in Sochi...but I could be wrong. They really needed to skate cleanly here in both the SP and the FS and get a medal (would've been difficult, but the door was open a crack), and they didn't do it, so I think they need more competitive experience. I am trying to think of the last ladies skater to medal at the Olympics without medaling at Worlds first. I can't remember? Liz Manley in 1988? (She was skating on home ice, so that would be something in favor of Liza and Adelina.) Sasha Cohen came pretty close in 2002, ending up 4th (again, note the home ice advantage). :think: And as for the last ladies to win OGM without medaling/winning at Worlds???? I can't remember. :p

So, I think OGM is unlikely, but if one of them skates perfectly in both the SP and the FS (with maximum difficulty, widely appreciated programs, etc) and there's a Torino-like meltdown among the veterans, I think one could grab a bronze or silver. And that skater will most likely be Adelina or Liza. Maybe.

More likely, I think that while they might have one strong SP or strong FS at the Olympics, it probably won't be enough, and their time will really come at the 2014 Worlds to grab their first World medal (I doubt Yu-Na or Carolina will be there), and build on that for the following quad. Which will be fun. :popcorn:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
The favorites for the olympic medals are still Yuna Kim, Mao Asada and Carolina Kostner. If those three deliver, I don't see any way any of these five could catch up to them (or anybody else, for that matter).
All of them have quite good chances of top 10 finishes though. I hope Adelina and Liza really put it together to show some amazing performances in their home country. I'm not too sure yet that skating in russia is such a huge advantage as some people say - it means additional pressure more than anything else (although probably the expactation of them getting gold are gone now, that was quite stupid to begin with).

For the next quad, I'd say Kanako is "in the same boot" too. She has been around longer than the others, but she's just 18. Her + those 5 girls mentioned are likely going to be the dominating ones, IMO.

LRK

Record Breaker
My immediate thought on seeing the title of the thread: The future of ladies' figure skating is bright. :)

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Gracie is a future star :)
also Zijun but she needs more power that will come with age
Liza is very talented but she needs to lose weight ( imo she is too heavy for a figure skater now, Mishin must address and regulate Liza's meals and what she eats
including no ice cream)

Adelina is a headcase
Osmond maybe but for now she is known as Fallmond who only gets inflated scoring skating in home ice, a future Kiira Korpi/Lepisto with limited arsenal but propped up
other than that she bombs skating in a non Canadian soil , probably due to panic knowing her inflated scores wont be enough :scowl:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think that's an unfair description of Osmond. She does have some technical issues (the flip---she's fallen on it 3 times in 4 programs at 4CC/Worlds) but she does have good presentation skills. She has had so little international experience that it's no wonder she tensed up in the Worlds FS. But she has been pretty consistent with her SP, and that is a major plus.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I think that's an unfair description of Osmond. She does have some technical issues (the flip---she's fallen on it 3 times in 4 programs at 4CC/Worlds) but she does have good presentation skills. She has had so little international experience that it's no wonder she tensed up in the Worlds FS. But she has been pretty consistent with her SP, and that is a major plus.

exactly and don't forget the Flutz, presentation maybe but that's more like it, she is like a young Lepisto
also I don't know why she is isn't good in FS maybe of her limited arsenal or she panics more when she is skating outside of Canada
knowing the inflation won't be as high ?? take her FS at Worlds outside of home ground, No way that would score a 112+

venlac

On the Ice
I think there a lot more potential to the gracie gold and zijun Li.
A good foundation of the jump, their 3-3 is great. And both have star power, I think.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
sky_fly20 said:
Liza is very talented but she needs to lose weight
Adelina is a headcase
Osmond maybe but for now she is known as Fallmond who only gets inflated scoring skating in home ice

:rolleye:
How can anyone go around for months writing the same crap over and over and not become tired of it themselves?

And most of all, Liza can jump 3Lz-3T like it's nothing - where the hell does she have a weigth problem?? This is beyond ridiculous.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, Liza can do the jumps. But they aren't very big, and her ice coverage is tiny. That affects her PCS scores. She landed all her jumps in the FS while other skaters faltered, but she finished tenth overall.

shine

Record Breaker
I think there a lot more potential to the gracie gold and zijun Li.
A good foundation of the jump, their 3-3 is great. And both have star power, I think.
It's funny that you pick Zijun Li alongside Gracie Gold for having good foundation on the jumps but not the other ladies. This is not a dig at Li because I personally really like her, but 1) Gold's jumps are of much higher quality than Li's 2) Li flutzes and even though she has 3-3's they are not nearly as powerful/high as the other 3 girls that you skipped over.

Robeye

Final Flight
The favorites for the olympic medals are still Yuna Kim, Mao Asada and Carolina Kostner. If those three deliver, I don't see any way any of these five could catch up to them (or anybody else, for that matter).
All of them have quite good chances of top 10 finishes though. I hope Adelina and Liza really put it together to show some amazing performances in their home country. I'm not too sure yet that skating in russia is such a huge advantage as some people say - it means additional pressure more than anything else (although probably the expactation of them getting gold are gone now, that was quite stupid to begin with).

For the next quad, I'd say Kanako is "in the same boot" too. She has been around longer than the others, but she's just 18. Her + those 5 girls mentioned are likely going to be the dominating ones, IMO.
"In the same boot" :laugh:. I like that.

I agree with your overall thoughts, and I also think Kanako should be considered as part of the next, coming group as well.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
After watching all 5 girls back to back. This is my ranking of the girls

TES
1. Gracie
2. Liza
3. Zijun
4. Adelina
5. Kaetlyn

PCS
1. Kaetlyn
2. Adelina
3. Gracie
4. Zijun
5. Liza

I enjoy watching Kaetlyn the most, predisposed to hating her for beating Akiko at SC. She's a performer, a dancer. I love her spunk. Her TES will hold her back. Take some time to fix the flutz first. Then she can challenge a few girls.
Adelina, pass. She has decent skills, but her packaging is all wrong. And I hate her technique. She will never rotate the second 3T because she always pitch forward on the first jump. Terrible technique. Her flip edge was changing back and forth like Caroline Zhang. Basically overhyped in both skills and performance.
Liza. This one is the worst of the bunch. The worst packaging, and frankly, her TES isn't that great. She skates so little. Her jumps don't cover any distance. They are like a miniature version of the top girls' jump. I don't think her GOE is justified. I don't think her PCS should be that high.
Zijun. She is so powerless. I enjoy watching her, but I don't actively seek her out. She's just there. She needs better programs, and she needs to beef up her skills. Right now, it's like the wind is pushing her from one end of the rink to another.
Gracie, like Kaetlyn, has more potential than the others. But she's a nervous skater. And her packaging is wrong. She appears to be skating to the music, but has absolutely no understanding of what she's skating to. I think with age, you can fix that.

KatEll

Rinkside
:rolleye:
How can anyone go around for months writing the same crap over and over and not become tired of it themselves?

It would probably be considered a personal attack, otherwise I would create a poll to see how many people are sick of hearing sky_fly20's over the top obsessive theories. :rolleye: The bar would certainly extend beyond the edge of my monitor screen. I don't think they make wide screen monitors wide enough to display that chart. At this point, sky_fly20 likely has little credibility left.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Osmond is like a young Lepisto.

Wow, how insulting.

She's way better than Lepisto, aka that girl who was stiff and not especially artistic and doubled all of her jumps and should have been 7th place at 2010 Worlds, but somehow won a Bronze medal.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Robeye said:
"In the same boot" :laugh:. I like that.

Oopsie :biggrin: Boot is the german word for boat, if that is an excuse. But as long as we're talking about girls, I'd claim boot makes sense ;)

Robeye

Final Flight
Oopsie :biggrin: Boot is the german word for boat, if that is an excuse. But as long as we're talking about girls, I'd claim boot makes sense ;)
Since we're talking about skaters, I thought it made perfect sense, and in fact I assumed you were making a clever pun. :)

Actually, knowing now that you were refering to the German, it becomes a very nuanced and complex bilingual double-pun, if you know what I mean. :biggrin: