Plushenko: Chan Does Not Deserve World Title | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Plushenko: Chan Does Not Deserve World Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Yes Plushenko was quite stupid. Vancouver was sort of a no win as Lysacek as Oly Champ was not great, and Plushenko winning with his blah performances there wasnt either. I still dont understand if Chan can win with 5 or 6 falls, why someone like Takahashi couldnt have won based on quality light years beyond Plushenko and Lysacek with only 1 in Vancouver, and based on the points wasnt even close. Judging of the mens event and skating have collided to reach a new all time low the last 5 years, and it is becoming increasingly hard to tell which has become more ghastly bad than the other. Years from now the 2008-2013/2014 period will be chucked as a throwaway to most people looking back at the history of mens singles, kind of like 1977-1981 for womens, as if it never existed.

noskates

Record Breaker
All of this Plushenko is great, can't be beaten, walks or skates on water yada! yada! is going to be a moot point unless he can skate at all!!!! And then he's going to have to skate lights out. I don't believe he knows the COP system that well or he probably would have won the Vancouver Olympics and not cried and whined about how quads should be more important. Clearly they werent. Maybe they still aren't. In the meantime, people are living in the past. Let's see what he's able to do between now and Sochi! Same goes for Chan, Ten, Fernandez, Dai, etc. There's pretty much a clean slate now. The run for the gold begins now....not 4 years ago, not 2 weeks ago......NOW!!!!!

It's going to be a case of "what have you done for us lately!"

But carry on - it's amusing reading the squabbles.

lilywang

Rinkside
All of this Plushenko is great, can't be beaten, walks or skates on water yada! yada! is going to be a moot point unless he can skate at all!!!! And then he's going to have to skate lights out. I don't believe he knows the COP system that well or he probably would have won the Vancouver Olympics and not cried and whined about how quads should be more important. Clearly they werent. Maybe they still aren't. In the meantime, people are living in the past. Let's see what he's able to do between now and Sochi! Same goes for Chan, Ten, Fernandez, Dai, etc. There's pretty much a clean slate now. The run for the gold begins now....not 4 years ago, not 2 weeks ago......NOW!!!!!

Rest assured, Plushenko's place in figure skating history is secured, whether he competes again or not. The same cannot be said for some other athletes, ;)

evangeline

Record Breaker

How is Plushenko's competitiveness in Sochi relevant to the topic at hand, or even relevant to the question of how well he knows CoP?

mskater93

Record Breaker
Rest assured, Plushenko's place in figure skating history is secured, whether he competes again or not. The same cannot be said for some other athletes, ;)
The other skater in question's place is also secured but it may not be how he wants to be remembered. ;)

Leonardo

Final Flight

Chan will also have his place in figure skating history as the most overscored skater of all time (and falling records as well)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
He might be just having Canadian or Chinese manner, always to be frank and sometimes rude. But I don't know if it is true because my Canadian and Chinese friends are very good people.

How do you know that Chan is not a good person?:confused:

My guess, you never watched Plushenko skate after Oly 2010. Ten almost won Worlds 2013 over the rest and it doesn't tell you anything?
Plushenko has good chance as a few other askaters to win in Sochi and he doesn't need to be clean, or have many quads, last two Worlds and a few other competitions proved that. It is a fact. Lets keep this consistancy till Sochi!:cool:

None of the current skaters have maturity into their skating like Plushenko has, may be exept Dai, but his jumps are not textbook and if judge correcly mostly should be -goe if no difficult entrance/exit.
Chan got free pieces of cake for two years in a row.:laugh:

This Plushenko twitt was entirly for Denis and to congratulate him and explain to Denis why he didn't win. End of story.

It's not going to hurt. Keep dreaming. Yeah, like he knows why.;)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

That was past. No one is arguing otherwise. It's useless to repeat that as if repeating that more times, Plushenko is going to win next Olympics.:biggrin:

noskates

Record Breaker
Bluebonnet just made my point. Plushenko was a great skater. Not my cup of tea ever but one cannot follow figure skating without having respect for what he's accomplished. But........he's getting long in the tooth, he's had multiple physical problems, multiple surgeries on his back, etc. etc. and I don't understand this almost addiction to maintaining he's going to be a strong contender for the OGM in Sochi. There's really no CURRENT proof of that! You know....if he wins it! WOW. FANTASTIC. But some people just need to face reality and just hope that he's physically well enough to compete! Right now at this moment I think that would be a major accomplishment in itself.

As for Chan's place in history. It's going to be a good one. It's only the people that continue to harp about the scoring system and the inequity of it and pick the performance apart and compare it ad nauseum to everybody else's that don't see the forest for the trees. MOST people have no clue about all that stuff - they just know Patrick Chan won his third World Gold Medal. And that's probably how it's going to be remembered. Now if he comes in 14th in Sochi, that will be remembered as well.

As I keep saying......it really doens't matter right now what anybody did in London because the year starts over. Denis Ten might have had the skate of his life and will never return to that greatness. Jeremy Abbott could come back strong. Brian Joubert might have a good skate left in him. Dai might pretend he's skating on younger legs or someone deep down in the pack this year could come forward and blow them all away....including Plushenko and Chan! Or the men's competition at Sochi could mirror the results at Worlds this year. Who knows.

gmyers

Record Breaker
There is more recent proof that plushenko has more good skates for 2014 then there was at this same time in 2009!!! Obviously the retort to that he is older now with more surgery and injury and he has a whole artificial thing in his spine so there's that!! But he had tons of medical procedures before Torino.

bestskate8

On the Ice
Plushenko knows CoP fine. He has won his Olympic gold, an Olympic silver, and countless European titles under CoP. He knows the CoP well enough to know that as long as he lands his jumps, skates with charisma and is Plushenko, he'll get high marks. It doesn't matter if he has no transitions and no choreography and a crap front-loaded program, he'll still get 8s and 9s in PCS. Just look at his scores at 2012 Europeans. Heck, even his scores at the Olympics are really high for what he actually put out there on the ice.

Plushenko's only mistake was to actually point out the hypocrisy of this prior to the Vancouver Olympics, thus causing the whole controversy in the first place and forcing everyone to scrutinize his inflated PCS for that one competition. I have a feeling that if he didn't open his mouth, he'd probably be a 2-time Olympic champion today.

That is not correct, recently russian tv commentator said, him and Plushenko didin't know in Vancouver 2010, that Evgeni was only fighting for silver. He sounded like gold medal was decided long before the games began.
So no one is buying this crap anymore.
It didn't matter how many quads he would do or how clean he would skate, judges would cut his marks there or there and keep him out of reach the gold. One can understand the frastration of the skater.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Bluebonnet just made my point. Plushenko was a great skater. Not my cup of tea ever but one cannot follow figure skating without having respect for what he's accomplished. But........he's getting long in the tooth, he's had multiple physical problems, multiple surgeries on his back, etc. etc. and I don't understand this almost addiction to maintaining he's going to be a strong contender for the OGM in Sochi. There's really no CURRENT proof of that! You know....if he wins it! WOW. FANTASTIC. But some people just need to face reality and just hope that he's physically well enough to compete! Right now at this moment I think that would be a major accomplishment in itself.

I agree Plushenko doesnt have a hope in Sochi, even a bronze is only an extremely small chance. I fail to see what that has to do with the validity of what he said though. That seems to be all the discussion is about, not about Plushenko's Sochi chances (which even his diehard fans concede is quite small).

As for Chan's place in history.

He has none. Only 1 uncontroversial World title and 1 uncontroversial Grand Prix final. Take that a step further, only 1 unscandalous World title and only 1 unscandalous Grand Prix final title. His place in history is on par with someone like Maria Butyrskaya as far as legitimate achievements go.

LRK

Record Breaker
I agree Plushenko doesnt have a hope in Sochi, even a bronze is only an extremely small chance. I fail to see what that has to do with the validity of what he said though. That seems to be all the discussion is about, not about Plushenko's Sochi chances (which even his diehard fans concede is quite small).

I think the idea is that by undermining his position as a "contender", this somehow undermines the relevance of what he has to say? I don't know how this works... Most commentators, and... ahum... judges, are unlikely to win any gold medals of any sort any time soon... So they ought not to have opinions either? Who can say. :)

formersk8ter

On the Ice
I think the chances of even seeing Plushenko on the ice at Sochi are pretty slim.

But I agree with his assessment of the outcome of the mens' event at this Worlds.

Chan is a terrific skater--when he delivers. He did not do that this time. His winning was unfortunate and only makes FS look bad. The system needs an overhaul, as something like this cannot happen at the Olympics. It would be a disaster for the sport.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Patrick has to be the weakest 3 time World champion ever in terms of his actual skates to win those championships.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Wow. People are just mean. And let's be fair. If Patrick's wins should be overhauled or taken back then so should Evan's OGM. He does not have style or pcs. His spins aren't that great. His footwork is not stellar. His jumps had no quads. And his personality is at best pleasant but no real strong charisma. Kimmie Meisner then also should be taken back - pretty good technique or jumps in 2006 but that's it. Maria Butyrskaya was a legitimate win. She stole it from Michelle Kwan and did two solid performances. Moreso than Kimmie or Sasha Cohen. all those whineres from SLC brought this new scoring system on and now we whine again. The fact it has been already tweaked and even scores changed for certain jumps just kills the legitimacy. I do think we are killing the sport with our whining which gets outu to the public. If the diehards or blowhards are whining and complainaing about the scoring system then really why sould anyone else car or want to watch skating . I am not sure have Denis Ten win the event lacking techincial skills and artistry is the answer. And I still ask why all the whining about Patrick's wins when we have seen many of the medals won by the Americans as being questionable. There have been weak medallists and winners for years. If patrick's three wins are weak then that says alot about the competition as to their weaknesses.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
There have been weak medallists and winners for years. If patrick's three wins are weak then that says alot about the competition as to their weaknesses.

but there has never been before a three time consecutive fraudulent World Champion

Leonardo

Final Flight
I do think we are killing the sport with our whining which gets outu to the public. If the diehards or blowhards are whining and complainaing about the scoring system then really why sould anyone else car or want to watch skating . I am not sure have Denis Ten win the event lacking techincial skills and artistry is the answer.

Wth? Nobody cares about what we fans think about the scoring system or anything. People see a fake champion falling to his a** 10 times and they think: is this a joke or a sport? Denis lacks technical and artistry skills ? If technicall skills equal falling all over the place, yes, Denis is really lacking a lot. Chan, on the other hand, looks just fine. Patrick's fake artistry, crazy eyes and cheap interpretation in the LP also demonstrated why he deserved to win overall. Just beautiful.

Seriously, stop trying to defend this absurd victory. Chan is the most beautiful thing ever on earth, but please, trying to prove that he actually deserved this title is not honest or reasonable.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Plushenko is far to be the only one. PChan became an object for mocking in the RuNet: http://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/fsledlife/435993.html and not there only. He should seriously consider to retire. Because even he skates clean, good and win farely whatever event, his image in fs history is beyond any repair.

I want to think on a bigger scale. Is ISU some oriental autocracy? Where no one has the authority to say any single word on what is going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.