Plushenko: Chan Does Not Deserve World Title | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Plushenko: Chan Does Not Deserve World Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilywang

Rinkside
He will definitely compete, if he's able to walk.

I'm hoping, however, that he wins Russian Nationals again convincingly ... it would suck if he placed 4th or 5th and the Russian fed sent him to Sochi anyways as they did with Kovtun this year.

If you look at history, Plushenko attended all three Olympics as the rightful Russian National Champion. Even in 2002 when he had injury, he still competed to earn his spot. He only skipped RN in 2003 because a serious flu, but he earned his World spot as the Euro Champion. Plushenko has never been gifted a ticket to Olympic or Worlds in his whole career, unlike his other compatriots in the past.

And if other skaters have been gifted with a spot before, why cannot Plushenko, who is apparently at a different level? Why he should be held at a much higher standard compared with the rest of the Russian athletes?

gmyers

Record Breaker
I can't imagine plushenko 4th or 5th at a Russian nationals! That would be a plushenko with no quad or 3a attempts! But then maybe that would be enough? Surely Enough to place top 3 to go to euros and then maybe quad and 3a then place first there among Russian men. Like he could fall on every 3a and quad attempt and still probably win a Russian nationals. He couldn't do singles and win- no way- it's not so bad that plushenko could do singles or doubles.

There is no reason for plushenko to get a gift because his competition is such that he could win against he best of his home country in any conceivable condition.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think you would find that if Plushenko finished fourth or fifth at Russian Nats, he would not want to go to Sochi because it would be a sign for him that if he can't even win Russian Nats, what hope is there higher?

Anyway, Russian Nats is just one piece of the puzzle. What happens at Euros is just as important.

vlaurend

Final Flight
OK, so the Canadian federation bought or bribed or threated the judges. . . or whatever it is they do. . . and that's why Chan won, right? So why didn't Virtue & Moir win the ice dance competition? Does Skate Canada only get one bribe per competition? :scratch: As I recall, Plushenko complained that Lysacek shouldn't have won the 2010 Olympics without a quad, and the ISU responded by raising the value of quad jumps and reducing penalties for underrotated quads, just to encourage everyone to go for quads. So maybe now they will change the rules based on Plushy's response again. Now *THAT* is power! ;)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Can we as even semi rational people look at this situation like Kostner and many of her medals and Squared and even Mao, Lambiel and Buttle. Can all these trained judges under COP be wrong? Were they all bribed? Can you know see the parameters onthes coring how while you missed some things you picked it up in other areas. So the theory is all thejudges are biased "idiots"? Come on folks - where is the evidence. Denis ten skate his best but over all it wasn't enogh and the quality of his skating is ho hum. Maybe we are saying no gold should have been given? But then we can say that for many medals probably.

Do they need evidence?! Plushenko - the expert - said so.:slink:

OK, so the Canadian federation bought or bribed or threated the judges. . . or whatever it is they do. . . and that's why Chan won, right? So why didn't Virtue & Moir win the ice dance competition? Does Skate Canada only get one bribe per competition? :scratch: As I recall, Plushenko complained that Lysacek shouldn't have won the 2010 Olympics without a quad, and the ISU responded by raising the value of quad jumps and reducing penalties for underrotated quads, just to encourage everyone to go for quads. So maybe now they will change the rules based on Plushy's response again. Now *THAT* is power! ;)

Right.

When Plushenko said he and Brian Joubert didn't have transitions, Mr. Inman has suddenly realized it. And rushed to send out group e-mails to the judges and urged them to be cautious on TR judging.

When Plushenko said sport means stronger, faster, higher, ISU agreed and raised up the quad value.

This time, when Plushenko said Canadian federation must be the evil behind the Patrick Chan's win, ISU would punish Canadian federation according to the words of Plushenko...

:popcorn:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Do they need evidence?! Plushenko - the expert - said so.:slink:

Right.

When Plushenko said he and Brian Joubert didn't have transitions, Mr. Inman has suddenly realized it. And rushed to send out group e-mails to the judges and urged them to be cautious on TR judging.

When Plushenko said sport means stronger, faster, higher, ISU agreed and raised up the quad value.

This time, when Plushenko said Canadian federation must be the evil behind the Patrick Chan's win, ISU would punish Canadian federation according to the words of Plushenko...

:popcorn:

Oh dear goodness. Just because Plushy says something doesn't mean it is truth, God or anything else. I take back us being semi rational - non rational lol.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Plushy still is probably Russia's best hope in Sochi - sadly. They just don't have the consistency of one man yet to take over the mantle. Vornov and GAtchinkski just haven't really fully developed or been cnosistent and Kovutun is too young still.

wallylutz

Medalist
I take that Plushenko is speaking from personal experience - you know, how many times the Russian Fed made sure he won through bribing and back door politics, especially prior to SLC. Otherwise, how does he know so much? Is he telepathic? In other words, what he is really saying is lamentation about Russian Fed's 2nd tier status federation as being unable to broker anything of significance for its skaters since their disastrous Olympics in 2010 with only one bronze medal.

How many years has it been since Russia is unable to place a man in the top 10 at Worlds? The sad truth is Plushenko himself is not man enough to attend the London Worlds as a dutiful Russian National Champion should to give Russia a chance to win 3 spots in Sochi and give the youngsters a chance to be inspired and grow. And by his action of immediately giving up after a less-than-optimal SP at the Euros, then use a pre-existing condition totally unrelated to the fall as the excuse, you have to wonder - can he really compete internationally?

After all, if he is still competing, then bad mouthing a fellow competitor is considered very poor sportsmanship. Unfortunately, Plushenko has a history of trash talking other competitors, including calling Lysacek's win in Vancouver : Ladies Skating because he had no Quads, give himself a "Platinum medal" and post the picture online for the whole world to see and now, this. This isn't just a light-hearted joke about someone's age - Plushenko is actually serious when he said and did all of that. He may have accomplished a lot as an athlete but as far as his character and sportsmanship is concerned, it's almost impossible to find a more mean spirited and arrogant person than this guy. He is better off going back to Russian politics and being a full-time politician, that's much more suitable to him.

wallylutz

Medalist
FYI, the ISU training video using Plushenko as the "model" existed since at least 2008. Unlike another poster who falsely stated that the ISU only started to circulating the video after Plushenko made his return in 2009-10 season as part of a conspiracy to undermine him. At the Vancouver Olympics, Plushenko did not do a 3 jump combo as he could have. And had he add a mere double toe at the end of any of his jump combo, he would have won the Gold - it is that simple. :sarcasm:

It think there is a lot of heat and not much light in this thread. I have to admit that boith Chan and Plushenko are quite a ways down my personal list of scoundrels and reprobates deserving of my scorn.

For instance, they are both below Wolfgang Schwartz.

Wikipedia said:
Wolfgang Schwarz (born 14 September 1947 in Vienna) was an Austrisn figure skater who won the gold medal at the 1961 Olympic Games…

Schwarz was convicted in 2002 on charges relating to trafficking in human beings after he brought five women from Russia and Lithuania to Austria to work as prostitutes. In 2006, he was convicted and sentenced to 8 years in prison for plotting a kidnapping of a Romanian teenager.

After that, he was arrested and convicted of falling on a triple Lutz but winning anyway, and of badmouthing his opponent. ;)

gmyers

Record Breaker
FYI, the ISU training video using Plushenko as the "model" existed since at least 2008. Unlike another poster who falsely stated that the ISU only started to circulating the video after Plushenko made his return in 2009-10 season as part of a conspiracy to undermine him. At the Vancouver Olympics, Plushenko did not do a 3 jump combo as he could have. And had he add a mere double toe at the end of any of his jump combo, he would have won the Gold - it is that simple. :sarcasm:

Lol these changing of plushenkos programs always forget the best thing he could have done to win was not do any quads and not do a three jump combo in which negative goe wouldve wiped out any value of a doubletoe anyway.

Lysacek and Carroll both said plushenko wanted to abolish his sport and replace it with a one jump contest. It was a back and forth and plushenko had 10 worlds championships and 3 Olympics of men Doing quads in their wins. Plushenko was not about abolishing the sport which lysacek and carroll said

Plushenko had a disc in his spine replaced!

I mean get real. The video that said plushenko was horrible trash was being distributed after he announced his comeback

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Unfortunately, Plushenko has a history of trash talking other competitors, including calling Lysacek's win in Vancouver : Ladies Skating because he had no Quads, give himself a "Platinum medal" and post the picture online for the whole world to see and now, this. This isn't just a light-hearted joke about someone's age - Plushenko is actually serious when he said and did all of that. He may have accomplished a lot as an athlete but as far as his character and sportsmanship is concerned, it's almost impossible to find a more mean spirited and arrogant person than this guy. He is better off going back to Russian politics and being a full-time politician, that's much more suitable to him.

Do you want to know the truth, or want to hate Plushy?;) Plushenko did not pass his silver medal as platinum, it was a mistake made by someone from his official site, one of the administrators probably. It wasn't even his idea, his wife said one gold+ one silver is actually platinum. His fans liked it and posted everywhere on Youtube on Twitter, and of course, on his offocial website's first page. Plu was clueless when it comes to internet, his official sites, Twitter, etc. He was in Vancouver and he advertised the Sochi Olympics. he would not frequent reader of his website, and he has never posted there. He made many interviews after competiton, but he didn't say "I won, or I deserved platinum medal", or something like this. :)

You said: "has a history of trash talking other competitors, including calling Lysacek's win in Vancouver " Do you know other example when he had trash talking other competitors?

And look at this: Evan and Plush in 2010 Golden Skate Awards http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1M0rm2T79s They are so cute. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0S8PNixg9E from 7:25 :)
Evan said in this inetrview http://www.pressball.by/pbonline/other/76679
"У него уже есть три олимпийские медали. Вероятнее всего, Евгения ждет еще одна награда в Сочи. Поэтому мне будет очень интересно навязать ему борьбу. Считаю, он величайший фигурист."
in english: "He already has three Olympic medals. Most likely, Evgeni is waiting for yet another award in Sochi. So I will be very interesting to impose the fight. I think he is the greatest skater. " He also said not once, Plushy is a great guy... And Plushy after Vancoucer, when everybody calmed down, always mentioned Evan, Olympic Champion Evan Lysacek. :)

LRK

Record Breaker
Like in his last interview where he referred to Frank Carroll as the wonderful coach of the Olympic Champion Evan Lysacek...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
There is no reason for plushenko to get a gift because his competition is such that he could win against he best of his home country in any conceivable condition.

Not if he's injured. He was losing to Voronov at Euros after the SP, and likely would have lost to Kovtun in the LP if he committed the same errors as his short. I agree that he's an excellent competitor though, and one competition (Euros) isn't enough to convince me that he no longer has the goods.

It's true that Plushenko could fall on every 3A and quad attempt and still win Russian nationals, but one hopes that he doesn't otherwise it would be really unfair to the other Russian men. And it's not like Plushenko's skating is leagues better than Kovtun or some of the other guys -- he's always been a technical skater so if he doesn't bring the technical game to the next nationals I wonder if the Russian Fed will do the same thing that they did with Kovtun and gamble him as their one spot.

I think it's more the fact that Plushenko is far more renowned, and it's a much better story if he's competing in Sochi. But if somebody like Menshov considerably outjumps Plushenko at Nationals and doesn't get to go to the Olympics, especially after being denied in favour of Kovtun at Worlds, it would be pretty low of the Russian federation. You would wonder if Plushenko would even give up his spot if he knew that another skater deserved it more.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Not if he's injured. He was losing to Voronov at Euros after the SP, and likely would have lost to Kovtun in the LP if he committed the same errors as his short. I agree that he's an excellent competitor though, and one competition (Euros) isn't enough to convince me that he no longer has the goods.

It's true that Plushenko could fall on every 3A and quad attempt and still win Russian nationals, but one hopes that he doesn't otherwise it would be really unfair to the other Russian men. And it's not like Plushenko's skating is leagues better than Kovtun or some of the other guys -- he's always been a technical skater so if he doesn't bring the technical game to the next nationals I wonder if the Russian Fed will do the same thing that they did with Kovtun and gamble him as their one spot.

I think it's more the fact that Plushenko is far more renowned, and it's a much better story if he's competing in Sochi. But if somebody like Menshov considerably outjumps Plushenko at Nationals and doesn't get to go to the Olympics, especially after being denied in favour of Kovtun at Worlds, it would be pretty low of the Russian federation. You would wonder if Plushenko would even give up his spot if he knew that another skater deserved it more.

Plushenko is not considered just a technical skater in Russia. That is only a part of his amazing all around talent in every aspect of skating and why pcs is so high but was also high at euros 2012. He is not like the mad Aaron or Kevin vander perren or Elvis stojko of Russia. So I doubt people would be like plushenko is just kovtun. or menshov with more success. He is considered and is a great talent.

But sure if he performs so poorly that he would actually lose to voronov or kovtun or menshov he may just hang it all up!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Plushenko is not considered just a technical skater in Russia. That is only a part of his amazing all around talent in every aspect of skating and why pcs is so high but was also high at euros 2012. He is not like the mad Aaron or Kevin vander perren or Elvis stojko of Russia. So I doubt people would be like plushenko is just kovtun. or menshov with more success. He is considered and is a great talent.

But sure if he performs so poorly that he would actually lose to voronov or kovtun or menshov he may just hang it all up!

:thumbsup:

I wouldn't like to see him in Sochi, if he can't win in RN, then won't be in good shape. I would like to see a strong Plushy, who has chance to skate two good programs. But I think he needs to compete in COR, and some on other competitons because he will skate the SP too early again. So we will be more smart after the COR.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The sad truth is Plushenko himself is not man enough to attend the London Worlds as a dutiful Russian National Champion should to give Russia a chance to win 3 spots in Sochi and give the youngsters a chance to be inspired and grow.

You have GOT to be kidding, right?! So in your opinion he should have got straight up from his hospital bed where he was having SURGERY ON HIS SPINE and gone to Worlds?!

:thumbsup:

I wouldn't like to see him in Sochi, if he can't win in RN, then won't be in good shape. I would like to see a strong Plushy, who has chance to skate two good programs. But I think he needs to compete in COR, and some on other competitons because he will skate the SP too early again. So we will be more smart after the COR.

I don't like everything he says, but I admire his skating immensely, and he's certainly far more than just a jumping machine.

I'm chuckling at the "gold + silver = platinum." Hey, there's nothing wrong with saying, "I think he's so wonderful that he's better than a gold medalist. He's platinum." Remember the wonderful gold maple leaf that Canadians gave Kurt Browning after he didn't medal at the 1994 Olympics? Some skaters transcend rankings.

Not to argue with anyone, but the geek in me cannot resist pointing out that there is actually an alloy of gold and silver (plus other metals) called electrum. Maybe someone could give Plushy an electrum medal? Platinum is actually a separate element, not related to gold or silver. It's one of the rarest elements, even rarer than gold. Like gold, it doesn't corrode easily. Geek moment over!

LRK

Record Breaker
You have GOT to be kidding, right?! So in your opinion he should have got straight up from his hospital bed where he was having SURGERY ON HIS SPINE and gone to Worlds?!

Well, you know, karne, if he were "man enough" he'd just ignore little things like that. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.