Kanako Murakami | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Kanako Murakami

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I read that Kanako is very close to Machiko Yamada and even joins the latter's family on vacations so it will definitely be harder for Kanako to change coaches and go overseas for training which is what Mao (who also used to be under Machiko Yamada) and Yuzuru did. Actually it all depends on Kanako and what she wants from her life and her skating.

I also think Kanako was pretty unlucky this season with boot problems and then had to go back to her 2011-2012 Violin Muse SP before Japan Nationals because she had problems in her original SP and thus did not fare well in her 2013 GP assignments. In 2012 Worlds, she was in a very strong position to win it all after the SP but like in this year's Worlds, the judges were very hard on her technical score in her FP and she finished off the podium. I think before JSF would squarely put their clout behind her ("annoint" her as the Japanese no. 1 if Mao retires), they would want to know if she plans to stay longer in skating. Anyway, I wish her all the best! She is a lovely girl, and I think, as demonstrated in this year's 4CC, a great talent.

figureskateobasan

On the Ice
I think because the media labeling her as mao jr or something so she can't really find her own style. also feel like she doesn't really have any desire to be more than she can be..
but that's just my opinion.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Kanako doesn't have a big killer instinct, her mindset is probably not comparable to the likes of Julia Lipnitskaia, that is a known fact. For me that is her personality and part of her charm. It is probable that this will hold her back, but not every skater out there needs to be better, faster, higher. If she carries on, that is admirable and if she stops she also had a great career with GP medals and even small medals at two World Championships. Not something a lot of skaters can claim for themselves. I feel a bit weird though, to defend her in this section of GS all the time, because this is her Fan Fest thread and posters who don't see her as something special should think twice about posting here. Because the Fan Fest is about the celebration of Kanako, the skater. Of course, criticism is allowed, but it shouldn't be the main gist here.

lbc2138

On the Ice
I feel a bit weird though, to defend her in this section of GS all the time, because this is her Fan Fest thread and posters who don't see her as something special should think twice about posting here. Because the Fan Fest is about the celebration of Kanako, the skater. Of course, criticism is allowed, but it shouldn't be the main gist here.

Would you like to start a new thread then? I didn't see where else I could express my concerns on Kana.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Hey, there is nothing wrong with being concerned about Kanako here. But it didn't feel very positive the last few pages and I just wanted to point that out, before it got out of hand. It felt like "She is bad at this, this AND this. She should do that, that and THAT." The beauty of Kanako and her good points are far outweighing the bad and in the other fan fest threads the members are fans and praise the skater, I wanted that too for Kanako. Keep on discussing, because this thread was pretty quiet when Kanako had better days. I'm actually glad people want to discuss her now, so pay not to much attention to me. I was too emotional, because I wanted to defend her. :eek:hwell:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hey, there is nothing wrong with being concerned about Kanako here. But it didn't feel very positive the last few pages and I just wanted to point that out, before it got out of hand. It felt like "She is bad at this, this AND this. She should do that, that and THAT." The beauty of Kanako and her good points are far outweighing the bad and in the other fan fest thread the members are fans and praise the skater, I wanted that too for Kanako. Keep on discussing, because this thread was pretty quiet when Kanako had better days. I'm actually glad people want to discuss her now, so pay not to much attention to me. I was too emotional, because I wanted to defend her. :eek:hwell:

Ah, it's okay. You're a fan -- defending her is part of your job.

That said, in spite of Kanako's struggles, there's something about her that is quite appealing. I love her personality and musicality. She also has a ton of speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz8Hw5pbwhs <---2010 NHK Trophy SP. She was so young then! Which makes me realize that some of her challenges also stemmed from growing.

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
^Working for me.

Mrs. P. - haha, I guess it is my job. I love that SP at NHK. And it sure shows how much she has grown in the last 4 years.

What I love about her is still there! Her attack, her smile! She is so NOT afraid. It seems to me she actually really enjoys the competitions, while so many others look afraid and stiff, concentration etched into their faces. Kanako is always fun, when she hits the boards, kicks the ice and attacks. But still she can also do the slow moments like in Prayer for Taylor SP.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

That said, in spite of Kanako's struggles, there's something about her that is quite appealing. I love her personality and musicality. She also has a ton of speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz8Hw5pbwhs <---2010 NHK Trophy SP. She was so young then! Which makes me realize that some of her challenges also stemmed from growing.

This is not the type of music I prefer but it is the delivery charisma and charm that I love in this performance. I've always had a sweet spot for Kanako and maybe it is simply just that infectious smile. Sometimes I think no one on this planet can actually be that happy. She is a gem. I'll probably watch this again later tonight :cool:

Side note......did she look even younger at 15 than most of these babies coming up.

lbc2138

On the Ice

I like this music! She was so spunky. Yuzu was right, she was always a good dancer, a lot of musicality. I think that's what makes her stick out in my mind when I think of the current female skaters.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
^Yes, Yuzuru and Kanako do go a long way back. I read an article about Kanako where news just got in about the 3/11/11 earthquake, and the reporter described her as visibly worried because there was no word yet as to whether Yuzuru survived. Recently, I saw a video of Kanako clapping in the stands after Yuzuru's record setting Olympic SP score was announced, and a picture of them hugging each other shortly after he won the gold medal, Yuzuru still in his Weir costume and Kanako in her Team Japan uniform.

Well they are gonna do like a million shows over the summer together, maybe they will reconect...

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
^I think skating will always be their bond. I want to see Yuzuru and Kanako together in gala performances like Yuzuru and Mao in the 2014 Worlds. I saw Yuzuru and Kanako like that in a video of the 2010 Medalist on Ice I think, and I so want a repeat.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Hey, there is nothing wrong with being concerned about Kanako here. But it didn't feel very positive the last few pages and I just wanted to point that out, before it got out of hand. It felt like "She is bad at this, this AND this. She should do that, that and THAT." The beauty of Kanako and her good points are far outweighing the bad and in the other fan fest threads the members are fans and praise the skater, I wanted that too for Kanako. Keep on discussing, because this thread was pretty quiet when Kanako had better days. I'm actually glad people want to discuss her now, so pay not to much attention to me. I was too emotional, because I wanted to defend her. :eek:hwell:

Peace! :) Just discussing from the point of view of wanting Kanako to do better. Agree with lbc2138 that as fans that is the only thing we could do, as it is really up to Kanako. She can do it.

figureskateobasan

On the Ice
I didn't mean to be hating on Kanako, I really like her actually. :)
It's sad watching her crying in K&C during worlds :( I think she deserve higher score and everyone in Twitter went mad over how low her score was!

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to share this but I pulled it off of the Yuzu forum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxDvn0pii78&feature=youtu.be

Kana looks refreshed and beautiful as always. I hope she had fun at the ice show!

Kanako is a pretty girl, and as Yuzuru, very sweet.

I always wondered why JSF decided to send Yuzuru to Canada and not send Kanako? As it have been point out in that moment they both were pretty much in the same ground. Maybe because they thought that being with Mao and Akiko will be enough to help her be a better skater?

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
^This is just my opinion, and I don't know whether the JSF even gave her the option to train overseas, but I think Kanako preferred to stay in Japan and experience university life. At that time, both she and Yuzuru were finishing high school.