Which THREE U.S. Ladies do you want to see at the Olympics next year? | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Which THREE U.S. Ladies do you want to see at the Olympics next year?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But Gracie did double her last jump. This is like saying that Sasha Cohen would have beaten Michelle Kwan at Nationals in 1999, 2000, 2001,2005, etc., if she hadn't fallen. Gracie desperately needs new choreography and work on her artistry. I was lukewarm on her Life is Beautiful program (love the music) and have hated everything else she has done, choreo-wise. She is an exciting jumper but leaves much to be desired on the performance side. She actually kind of reminds me of Sarah Hughes in her demeanor and performance. But Sarah, of course, is an Olympic gold medalist, so maybe Gracie can just keep doing what she is doing. I hope not, though.
I think Gracie is more talented then Sarah was. Doesn't mean she will win a Olympic Gold medal or have the same success that Sarah had though.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
To me it seems Ashley does not have great flow coming out of her jumps, and she seems to land forward. (Maybe the two are related.) Most of the women who do 3/3s do a 3T/3T; adding a 3T to a flip or lutz seems a lot harder, and Adelina shows this. She usually has success with the 3T-3T and usually doesn't struggle to rotate the second jump, whereas the opposite is true for her 3Z-3T combo. Maybe Ashley could do a 3T-3T.

Ashley's solo 3F is actually very good. Good height, good flow out, good speed in. She should carry a lot of momentum into rotating the 3T after the 3F.

As for 3Lo-3T, too hard. After 3Lo, most girls go to a standstill, not enough rotational momentum to complete the next triple.

Look at the 3Lo and 3F side by side, you can see it's much harder to add a 3T to the loop than the flip.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Gracie is more talented then Sarah was. Doesn't mean she will win a Olympic Gold medal or have the same success that Sarah had though.

Agree on talent. I was talking about demeanor and performance.

icellist

On the Ice
Happy Birthday Mirai! You have the same birthday as Emma Watson XD

Looking at her programs the past couple of seasons, I wish she would do a character program again maybe Charlie's Angels, Amelie, or a Miyazaki film score. Other non-heroine ones could be Sorceror's Apprentice/Planet's Uranus. I'd be happy with a Pixar soundtrack too (Incredibles, Up, Ratatouille)! I can see her get really into a character or start enjoying the music again. Looking back, my favorite programs of hers were 2006-2010 SPs and Coppelia. Too bad she never skating City Lights to its full potential. I hope she gets kick-*** choreography this season from Cindy Stuart, Braden Overett or Bebe Liang.

samson

Medalist
Oh my goodness! HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIRAI!!!

I think it's safe to say that if all things being equal, Gracie and Ashley will def get the nod for the Olympics. They earned those three spots for the US, both of them have shown the ability to put up big numbers on the international scene and seem to demonstrate a certain level of consistency that the other US ladies have not displayed.

The very unlikely trio that my heart would love to see is Mirai, Alissa, and Christina. I just love their styles.

Of those three I genuinely have no idea who has the best chance. If Alissa can return to her form she would certainly be a sentimental favorite and her style is just SO appealing.
Christina had a real breakout season this fall and many feel she was robbed at Nationals. She had a very good if not great finish at 4CC, and SCOB seems to suit her well. Perhaps skating on her new home turf will work in her favor?
Mirai at one point had all the goods to be a world champion and she began to show signs of that young girl again this season. Her jumps were still getting UR and her FS at Nationals was well below par, but she was also fighting the flu and if the fall and her sp were any indication, she could be on track for a real comeback. Also, she was the spitfire American girl that to some, almost stole the spotlight as the Finale to incredible Ladies FS in Vancouver. She also still has the highest sp and lp international scores recorded for current US ladies. If she can return to form (which I think she was doing) she is my top choice for Sochi.

The USFSA still seems intent on supporting Agnes, and the ladies I just mentioned will have to give them real reason to stop supporting her... if Agnes doesn't do that herself. She is a sp skater. And last season of the ladies I've mentioned, the only one she's been able to beat was Gracie Gold at the top of the season. She wasn't even in the same ballpark as Mirai at NHK or Christina at 4CC.

The younger girls may prove to be ready for the Olympics, but I don't think we'll see any of them making much noise next year at the Olympics. If we send them it will really be for development and the experience rather than big results.

So with all THAT madness here is my hope for Olympic Team while still trying to use some logic:
Ashley
Gracie
Mirai

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Mirai is in the top 24 in rankings, and will still be when last year's scores are dropped.

She's guaranteed at least 1; might get 2, same as last year, I think.

prettykeys

Medalist
I hope, I hope...Mirai for the third spot!!

After Ashley and Gracie, none of the other top potential US ladies compel me!!! MIRAI PLEAAASE

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai has to deserve that third spot by finishing top 3 at Nationals. She's been 7th two years in a row. Something is very lacking in her skating, namely personality and attack. She skates as if she is on cruise control, and her mind is elsewhere.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Can't believe Mirai is 20!! Crazy, I feel like she won Nationals as a tiny 14 year old just a couple years ago but clearly that's not the case lol. Time flies! Hope she has a great birthday!

Cherryy

On the Ice
Doris just wrote a post in 2013-14 programs thread, where it says that Angela Wang is going to compete senior nationally and junior internationally. So it changes my wish and wishes of some others. Now for me it's Gracie Gold, Caroline Zhang and Ashley Wagner. That truly is a dream team.