Which THREE U.S. Ladies do you want to see at the Olympics next year? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Which THREE U.S. Ladies do you want to see at the Olympics next year?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But the percentages don't add up to 100..haha! But yes I think USFSA love Gold so much that she has the biggest chance, despite her inconsistencies.

I really want Gao, Wagner, and Czisny to make the team though. Yet who knows what will happen!

Gao and Wagner, OK, but NOT Czisny. She is not competitive with the top dogs---no 3/3, slow, tentative jumps. USFS is not going to take Gold off the Sochi team so as to give Czisny a longevity award. USFS may have held up Czisny in the past, but I have my doubts that they will continue to do so in the future. She would have to truly outskate Gold, to displace Gracie, and I do not see that there is any possibility of that.

mary01

Final Flight
I would love to see either Gao or Nagasu on the team, they both have had it rough, the odds are against Nagasu but she has the whole off season to work on her issues and strongly bounce back. Christina is such a beautiful skater on the ice and I see great potential in her, she could surprise.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
She should not do 3Flutz-combo. Negative GOE no matter what is not something you want to start out with.

Simply not true. Mao going for the 3Axel is totally worth it even if she gets -2 GOE on it every time. The only thing that really matters in the end is the net amount of points and that could apply to this situation for Ashley too.

Ashley isn't going to get good GOE on her 3Flip+3Toe regardless. That's what I'm getting at here. If she goes for 3Lutz+3Loop and gets -1 GOE, that's still more points than a 3Flip+3Toe with +1 GOE (plus doing the 3Lutz+3Loop allows her to then do a 3Flip as her solo jump in the SP, instead of a 3Loop, another small increase in points). Consistently getting +1 GOE on a fully-rotated 3Fip+3Toe isn't even realistic for Ashley to begin with, though, which is why it might be most profitable for her to attempt the 3Lutz+3Loop. That combination gives her something special, something nobody else is doing. It gives her a talking point to aim at judges - "I'm doing THE hardest combination in the entire competition". She only has to do it in the SP to get that talking point.

Ashley's body and jumping abilities are really good for attempting the 3Lz+3Lo. To begin with, both of these jumps are great ones for her (ignoring the edge issue on the Lutz, which is irrelevant to the mechanics I'm talking about). Her Lutz at its best actually has superb and very straight flow-out. Beyond that, if you look at her Lutz landings, she always tends to land right in the ideal sweet spot for generating momentum to do a 3Loop - she lands a bit short of being totally backwards, which leaves just the right amount of circular room to naturally swing around into a Loop. Ashley also naturally has a tendency to swing around into her combination jumps to begin with, which caters to the Loop. I really, really want to see her go for this jump combination in the SP, like she used to.

Krislite

Medalist
If Ashley hits 140 without 3x3, I'm going to puke. That's ridiculous and insane prediction. Ashley, without a 3x3, without even 2A-3T hit 140? Urgh, no. Wrong, wrong wrong. Wrong!

I'm skeptical as well. It took Carolina a clean LP in her own Nationals to crack 140. As did Yuna, who did a 3/3 in the LP. And they both have sky-high PCS and GOE's. So I just don't see how Ashley could do it without a 3/3 or a 2A-3T.

Last edited by a moderator:

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I would say Ashley, Mirai, and Gracie.

Given rest I think Ashley will come back strong.

Mirai's season ended early and I think that can fuel her for 2014. I'm hoping she is given music that suits to her strengths, when she is on she is beautiful to watch and is still well received by the Intl judges.

Gracie could be a threat if she works on her consistency and same as Mirai she needs music that suits her, with that being said she needs to work her artistry. I definitely see her being a favorite for 2018, she's young and has a lot potential.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I'm skeptical as well. It took Carolina a clean LP in her own [overinflated] Nationals to crack 140. As did Yuna, who did a 3/3 in the LP. And they both have sky-high PCS and GOE's. So I just don't see how Ashley could do it without a 3/3 or a 2A-3T.

3/3 or 2A-3, in and of itself, doesn't actually mean anything in the LP. It's all just numbers.

The LP jump layout I think Ashley should do has a higher base value than Yu-Na's.

rkuang

Rinkside
If they are back in fighting shape, my top two for sure would be Ashley and Alissa. I think they COULD score better because they are more experienced. The last spot would be either Gracie or Gao. But it all depends. We still have a whole year to go before we can judge fully.

Bentley

Rinkside
Ashley, Gracie, Agnes or Hannah.

No Alissa or Marai please. They have had their chances and I am tired of hearing the excuses for their poor skates.

Krislite

Medalist
3/3 or 2A-3, in and of itself, doesn't actually mean anything in the LP. It's all just numbers.

The LP jump layout I think Ashley should do has a higher base value than Yu-Na's.

Of course it would. There several skaters who actually have much higher BV than Yuna in the LP. But you know very well BV is a bit less than 50% of the total score.

I'm still not seeing how Ashley's gonna score 140+ on an LP without a 2A+3T or a 3x3, unless she gets real close to Yuna's PCS and GOE's. Can you provide a hypothetical breakdown of the BV, GOE and PCS that would do it?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I would love to see Ashley (who will kick butt and finally land that pesky 3/3); Mirai (who skates as well as she did last time around) and Christina (who deserves it). Gracie can go in 2018.

Bentley

Rinkside
I would love to see Ashley (who will kick butt and finally land that pesky 3/3); Mirai (who skates as well as she did last time around) and Christina (who deserves it). Gracie can go in 2018.

That is what is wrong with U.S. Figure Skating. The younger skaters like Gracie never are given the chance to compete with the rest of the World. Do you really think the two who got the 3 spots back for the U.S. are going to be left off of the team if they skate well at Nationals?

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
That is what is wrong with U.S. Figure Skating. The younger skaters like Gracie never are given the chance to compete with the rest of the World. Do you really think the two who got the 3 spots back for the U.S. are going to be left off of the team if they skate well at Nationals?

If Ashley, Christina, and Mirai do well on the Grand Prix and finish ahead of Gracie at Nationals it could very well happen. If this season taught us anything it's that ice is slippery and anything can happen...

prettykeys

Medalist
I would say Ashley, Mirai, and Gracie.

Given rest I think Ashley will come back strong.

Mirai's season ended early and I think that can fuel her for 2014. I'm hoping she is given music that suits to her strengths, when she is on she is beautiful to watch and is still well received by the Intl judges.

Gracie could be a threat if she works on her consistency and same as Mirai she needs music that suits her, with that being said she needs to work her artistry. I definitely see her being a favorite for 2018, she's young and has a lot potential.
I agree... I like Mirai the best after considering Ashley and Gracie as locks for 2/3 of the spots. Let's rally, Mirai, you can dooooo it!

b-man

Final Flight
Wagner and Gold would be obvious choices, baring injury or a major collapse. The third choice would likely be between Mirai, Christina and Agnes. Agnes seem to perform better/ is held up, depending on your point of view, at Nationals, but her internation SB is only 166. Christina and Mirai performed similarly in the Grand Prix, with Christina getting slightly better medals with a slightly easiers draw. Yet she performed poorly in the GP final. Both have almost identical international SB scores of 176. Either would be a good third choice. I don't think Christina has ever been to worlds/ Olympics, while Mirai was only at worlds once (7th), not nearly the number of appearances of Czisny, Flatt, or Wagner.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Between Agnes & Gao for the third spot, I prefer Agnes slightly over Gao. For most part, I don't like her long program for past two season (for whatever reason she even used the same LP), and her outfits need some change. Anges has harder jumps in her book and better skating skills. Gao's lack of knee bend somehow prevents me from fully appreciate her. But her advantage is that she is getting more consistent, but don't see her doing better than Gracie or Ashley in any aspect.

aero

On the Ice
Both have almost identical international SB scores of 176.

I do believe that you've forgotten her 189 at the 2011 FCC, and that was without a 3-3.
I am personally a little biased for Mirai, but she came back strong after a 5th place finish in 2009 to go to the olympics and I think she can do the same this time.
If I remember correctly, she was suffering from a cold at Nationals which contributed to her lackluster FS. She was in 3rd in the short after all. Plus the international judges seem to score her much better than the US does.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The question posed was not who do you think but who do you want. Interesting question. I would like to see Caroline Zhang because I think she was robbed last year and she has struggled so much from learning to rid her self of the mule kick to body changes. I would also like to see Rachel flatt because she represents hard work, academics and the all american girl. My final pick would be Michelle Kwan to win her OGM but of those still skating I would love to see Christine Gao simply because she has not gone to world's or oly. will it happen no but that was not the question.

Cherryy

On the Ice
My wish - Gracie Gold, Caroline Zhang and Angela Wang or Christina Gao, though I prefer Angela. Change one of the last 3 with Ashley and it can come true. Though it wouldn't be what I really want to see.