March Madness! | Golden Skate

March Madness!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Who are you cheering for? Who do you think will win it all?

louisa05

Final Flight
Cheering for CO State, former student is a senior on the team. But I know they won't win. Just excited for him to get to play in the tournament two years in a row as I remember him going to first round games with his dad when he was in high school. I signed his sheet to miss school once and said "someday you'll be playing in one" and he said "that would be awesome, but I don't know if I'm that good". I told him he was! And the real upside is that he was one of the nicest and smartest kids I ever taught, too.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Cheering for CO State, former student is a senior on the team. But I know they won't win. Just excited for him to get to play in the tournament two years in a row as I remember him going to first round games with his dad when he was in high school. I signed his sheet to miss school once and said "someday you'll be playing in one" and he said "that would be awesome, but I don't know if I'm that good". I told him he was! And the real upside is that he was one of the nicest and smartest kids I ever taught, too.

What a touching story, louisa05! Thanks for sharing that.

My alma mater (Western Kentucky University) got a bid after winning the conference tournament. However, we're a No. 16 seed playing against No. 1 Kansas. Nate Silver gives us a 1.2 percent chance of winning in the round of 64 and basically ZERO change in winning in the round of 32. Also there's that whole No.1 seed has never lost in the first round thing....though Gonzaga came dangerous close to being the first today in its first round game against Southern. (For the record, I think that Gonzaga did not merit a No. 1 seed to begin with.)

That said, Kansas did lose to Texas Christian University, which is not exactly a high ranking team, so I have some hope that perhaps my school can defy some odds!

Otherwise, I am also rooting for Villanova, Louisville and Indiana.

How wonderful, Louisa! That's a great reason to root for a team. Whether he wins or doesn't, I'm sure he'll do a splendid job.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I will Cheer for CO too! (Disclaimer. I want Gonzaga to loose as soon as possible cause that is all you see on TV news in Spokane now...Gonzaga this and Gonzaga that. As if skating isnt a better sport! :biggrin:

louisa05

Final Flight
What a touching story, louisa05! Thanks for sharing that.

My alma mater (Western Kentucky University) got a bid after winning the conference tournament. However, we're a No. 16 seed playing against No. 1 Kansas. Nate Silver gives us a 1.2 percent chance of winning in the round of 64 and basically ZERO change in winning in the round of 32. Also there's that whole No.1 seed has never lost in the first round thing....though Gonzaga came dangerous close to being the first today in its first round game against Southern. (For the record, I think that Gonzaga did not merit a No. 1 seed to begin with.)

That said, Kansas did lose to Texas Christian University, which is not exactly a high ranking team, so I have some hope that perhaps my school can defy some odds!

Otherwise, I am also rooting for Villanova, Louisville and Indiana.

I could have helped out your alma mater if I'd known, Mrs. P, because every time I have picked Kansas to make the Final Four on a bracket, they have been upset early. Every time. I didn't pick them to make the Final Four this year because I don't trust them.

CO State is on right now. My kiddo looks so grown up; he still had a bit of a baby face when he graduated five years ago. Boys fill out and get more mature looking after high school much more than girls do.

ETA: They won! So excited. Last year, they lost in the first round. Of course, now they get Louisville on Saturday. Yikes!

Congrats to you alumnus! Guys do change amazingly, at that age, don't they. Imagine getting past the first round; that's a huge achievement.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I could have helped out your alma mater if I'd known, Mrs. P, because every time I have picked Kansas to make the Final Four on a bracket, they have been upset early. Every time. I didn't pick them to make the Final Four this year because I don't trust them.

CO State is on right now. My kiddo looks so grown up; he still had a bit of a baby face when he graduated five years ago. Boys fill out and get more mature looking after high school much more than girls do.

ETA: They won! So excited. Last year, they lost in the first round. Of course, now they get Louisville on Saturday. Yikes!

Awesome! Congrats to your student. :) I am rooting for Louisville, but I also love a Cinderella story.

Today WKU vs. Kansas. Can my school defy the odds?! They already did so by getting to the tournament, can they do it again?

KKonas

Medalist
I will Cheer for CO too! (Disclaimer. I want Gonzaga to loose as soon as possible cause that is all you see on TV news in Spokane now...Gonzaga this and Gonzaga that. As if skating isnt a better sport! :biggrin:

What- you complain against your hometown school? Got something against the Jesuits? :) Indiana may win it all.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
What- you complain against your hometown school? Got something against the Jesuits? :) Indiana may win it all.

<3 Indiana. I think they play good ball.

I also am a terrible Gonzaga fan because I'm not one despite the fact that it is the only Washington school to make it the Big Dance. (And U. of Washington got beat by BYU, so there isn't even that consolation prize...)

I just feel that they do not play like a No. 1 ranked team. They were thisclose to being the first No. 1 seed to lose in the first round. Basically the coach should send a sweet Thank You note to Kelly Olynyk for showing up to the game as the rest of the clearly did not.

But I'm pleasantly surprised at how well the PAC-12 is doing!! So for every team from the conference has won, including a 12-5 win from Oregon (though one could argue they were underanked...). We'll see if UCLA and Coloraldo can continue the streak...

Well, did you pick Kansas? Because I think it was just upset by its opponent. Good going!

I have a soft spot for Gonzaga. Love that name! And I love the idea of Jesuit basketball champs. I think there are quite a few; isn't Georgetown Jesuit?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And I love the idea of Jesuit basketball champs. I think there are quite a few; isn't Georgetown Jesuit?

I'm rooting for Creighton from Omaha NE and it's a Jesuit school. Jesuits are everywhere now, even in Rome. :laugh: :laugh:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
WKU has a one point lead at half-time. Could history be made tonight? GS friends, please send good vibes to my team! (Unless you're a Kansas fan, heh...)

louisa05

Final Flight
I'm rooting for Creighton from Omaha NE and it's a Jesuit school. Jesuits are everywhere now, even in Rome. :laugh: :laugh:

I watched the end of the Creighton game today. I am rooting for them as well. I got nervous for a minute there that they were going to give it away, though.

Olympia, I picked Kansas to win two then lose. My mom has them in the Final Four, though. Looks like they may be getting it together now, though.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I watched the end of the Creighton game today. I am rooting for them as well. I got nervous for a minute there that they were going to give it away, though.

I know what you mean, the score was too close for comfort, it was a little bit of a nail biter for me.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Olympia, I picked Kansas to win two then lose. My mom has them in the Final Four, though. Looks like they may be getting it together now, though.

Yeah WKU's timing is off. But they're holding on... still a one possession game.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well, drat -- my school lost. :( They left a lot of points on the table-- but considering that, they still came within 7 points. (The spread was 20.)

And after seeing Kansas play, I think I'll hate on Gonzaga less now. So Gonzaga, I'm cheering for you (a little more..)

Rooting for North Carolina now, since Villanova is out.

Go Louisville + Indiana!!!!

Villanova is out? Rats--my boss is a Villanova alum, and I'm due in at the office today. I'll have to extend comfort and condolences. I don't know how involved he is in rooting for basketball; he was a football player. But I'm sure it stings. I'll have to bring in some sympathy ice cream.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Villanova is out? Rats--my boss is a Villanova alum, and I'm due in at the office today. I'll have to extend comfort and condolences. I don't know how involved he is in rooting for basketball; he was a football player. But I'm sure it stings. I'll have to bring in some sympathy ice cream.

Awww.... you're too sweet!

Louisville vs. Coloraldo State on now. Looks like a game with divided allegiances here on GS. My hometown team vs. louisa05's former student!

Looks like Michigan is staying strong with both teams moving on to the sweet 16. Gonzaga later.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Also, Louisa, is Greg Smith your student? He's from Omaha, so I'm making an educated guess!

Or Wes Elkmeier?

Colorado State is doing some great ball and keep Louisville
on their toes!