Someone please explain the mens results at Worlds | Golden Skate

Someone please explain the mens results at Worlds

skateluvr

Record Breaker
The Plush thread got me to ask. Not just Chan's win, but they all have me confused. I thought Dai deserved much better and Joubert as well. I totally need help understanding the mens placements. Thanks.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well a lot of people will disagree with Chan's win but this is what happened. Over the two skates he was the best in points overall based upon the current scoring system. His skating skills, interpretation, choreography, performance et al is at a very high level compared to most of the other men's skater. Despite the errors other skaters missed jumps as well and Parick is strong in footwork, spins so when you add up all the points he does very well. Chan's win is like Carolina - their skating in other areas are so far superior it holds them up especially on a skating night when almost everyone other than Ten who is far behind in skating skills made errors. the judging criteria allowed Chan to win in short despite jumping errors his overall effort or point total was higher than everyone one else.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Well a lot of people will disagree with Chan's win but this is what happened. Over the two skates he was the best in points overall based upon the current scoring system. His skating skills, interpretation, choreography, performance et al is at a very high level compared to most of the other men's skater. Despite the errors other skaters missed jumps as well and Parick is strong in footwork, spins so when you add up all the points he does very well. Chan's win is like Carolina - their skating in other areas are so far superior it holds them up especially on a skating night when almost everyone other than Ten who is far behind in skating skills made errors. the judging criteria allowed Chan to win in short despite jumping errors his overall effort or point total was higher than everyone one else.

for the record Carolina did not win nor did she get the highest PCS
unlike Chanflated Fraud :rolleye:

Riemann

Rinkside
Take comfort in the knowledge that the judging was essentially flawless and totally on the up-and-up. All of the bad and scandalous judging that existed just a few years earlier vanished thanks to the new system.

BTW, I have a nice place in Death Valley that comes with a beautiful, natural, frozen pond that is just perfect for recreational skating year-round. If anyone is interested in buying it, please let me know.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
And Joubert had a jumping pass not count because of a Zayak penalty, AFAIR?
Yes, because he turned a planned 4S into a 3S, so he landed two 4Ts and two 3Ss, then he landed a second 3F and it wasn't considered...

let`s talk

Match Penalty
The Plush thread got me to ask. Not just Chan's win, but they all have me confused. I thought Dai deserved much better and Joubert as well. I totally need help understanding the mens placements. Thanks.
You can't understand it. Now people will start writing pages after pages "explaining" numbers, GOEs, maths, etc. to you. But in fact it won't give you any answer. Except probably one- GOE is a highly customized tool in achieving whatever target was set.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Carolina had a fall and still had a highest PCS in SP, so maybe that's what Skater Boy is talking about.

Not speaking for him, but I believe this is the case.

As for Daisuke, you really thought he should have been placed higher? He had the 8th best TES in the SP (2nd best PCS) and 13th best TES (4th best PCS) in the FS, and still ended up 6th overall. His PCS saved him a top six placement, and that in itself was generous.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I know. :( He's such a lovely skater but I think we're seeing his body breaking down before our very eyes. He doesn't have the same snap to his jumps which is resulting in URs. In the past, I've always thought many of his jumps were close to UR and with a little less energy and attack lo and behold that's how they end up. He should gain confidence from coming out on top at a highly competitive GPF this year, and put that into building for Sochi.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I think it was fair that Denis Ten won the FS at least. The problem was that Patrick Chan was allowed to run away with the lead in the SP, and had basically won the title before the LP was even skated. My Mom actually said that to prevent that they should just skate the LP.

bump

Match Penalty
So basically the CoP is a mess and instead of making cheating less likely from the judges, it just sort of covers it up. Judges can still play favorites and hide behind this illusion of "quantifying" their assessments when in reality, they're basically just giving a skater deserving of a 5.9 a 5.5 but presenting their judgment as some ridiculous sum total number that appears to be fair but really isnt. So this is why Patrick Chan wins when it's clear to everyone that he didn't deserve to.

Moment

Final Flight
It was a messy event where everyone was a mess except Denis, who gave his best performances but still couldn't win overall because he isn't good enough a skater.

Just like this year's 4CCs. The difference is Kevin won that event!

mskater93

Record Breaker
So basically the CoP is a mess and instead of making cheating less likely from the judges, it just sort of covers it up. Judges can still play favorites and hide behind this illusion of "quantifying" their assessments when in reality, they're basically just giving a skater deserving of a 5.9 a 5.5 but presenting their judgment as some ridiculous sum total number that appears to be fair but really isnt. So this is why Patrick Chan wins when it's clear to everyone that he didn't deserve to.
This...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think it was fair that Denis Ten won the FS at least. The problem was that Patrick Chan was allowed to run away with the lead in the SP, and had basically won the title before the LP was even skated. My Mom actually said that to prevent that they should just skate the LP.

I think if it were the other way around -- Chan had a terrible SP and was 10 or 15 points back but skated a perfect FS with 180 points, and won overall -- people would be complaining that the SP should count for more.

To be fair, if it weren't for Ten's presence, Chan would have run away with the competition anyways. I think Ten's biggest problem (other than the 2F-2T) was simply the fact that he's Denis Ten, when you know Fernandez or Takahashi or Hanyu with the same skate would have received a much higher score than Ten received in the FS, possibly enough to close the gap. It really bites to see somebody with two clean skates lose to somebody with a heavily flawed freeskate. Even if Chan fell twice without the other other errors, many would argue that Ten should have still been placed higher in the FS.