New Stars born this season - names? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

New Stars born this season - names?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Aside from Dennis, no "stars" were born IMO. I consider moments like Kwan, Baiul, and Yagudin winning as stars being born. Finishing 6th or 7th is great but that may be their best placement ever, or they may go on to win in the future. Gracie I think will improve, but Kaetlyn doesn't look to have an optimal build for jumping triples. Remember, Mirai finished 4th at the Olympics but never again reached that level; I could easily see the same fate for some of these ladies (particularly the juniors who will be going to bodily changes shortly).

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Fernandez has gradually become a star after having been on GPF podium and winning in this season the Europeans and a bronze at the Worlds. He is the only one from those mentioned in this thread I consider to be a star. Definetely no junior skaters! From seniors maybe Ten becomes a star if his success continues in next season.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Zijun Li and Denis Ten. To me, Javier would qualify as a new star at the end of last season. This season we expected good things from him, no big surprises here (his LP at Euros was sublime though, the best LP we saw this season overall, and by some way. If only he skated like that at worlds...)
Osmond came from nowhere and I finally saw at Worlds what I could not see when she won Skate Canada: she is a star in the making, just needs some time to adjust to her new status.
I would like to mention M-T/M in pairs. Never thought they are world podium contenders, I saw them in the middle pack. But this season they were shooting to the top. I can't believe their performances at worlds didn't get them a medal. To me they were the most enjoyable and I would have them in second place. Their elements are very, very strong, there is no weakness in their skating. I really see them with a medal in Sochi.

Country
Russia
I define it as someone who made a huge progress. AlexRus, you think that Gosviani is not a star level because she was 'only' 6th at Europeans. From the way I see it, if someone did not get named at international team within their country, nearly did not qualify at their nationals (or qualified only as 3rd substitute) and then ended up as 6th lady within Europe, that is success. It is a progress and hopefully breakthrough.
Gosviani, Denis Ten this season, Korobeynikova past season - "stars of one competition".
And for Gosviani it is not Euro - it is SrNationals, where she skated much better than all competitions before and after.
If she would skate at SrNationals as at Euro - Leonova and Makarova (and maybe even Korobeynikova with fall and 4 triples in FS, but good SP) would be ahead her and Gosviani would not have Euro.

Othervise, Gosviani had some progress from past season (not very high, but real).

So I don't know - star or not star.

hanca

Record Breaker
If she would skate at SrNationals as at Euro - Leonova and Makarova (and maybe even Korobeynikova with fall and 4 triples in FS, but good SP) would be ahead her and Gosviani would not have Euro.

You are probably right about that, but that doesn't make it right or fair. If Gosviani skated at your nationals the same way as she skated at Europeans, I am pretty certain that Leonova, Makarova and Korobeynikova would end up above her, but if (with the same level of everyone's skating) you take away the fact that Leonova, Makarova and Korobeynikova have their reputation, in ideal worlds Gosviani should still win. It is still cleaner than anything Leonova, Makarova and Korobeynikova have done at the nationals. It is not fair that certain skaters are padded on the second mark only because they have their name/reputation. I would understand if the PCS were higher because they have something within their skating that Gosviani doesn't have, but Gosviani has lovely balletic style, expression, plenty of interesting transitions... I am getting a bit fed up about Makarova being held up last season at your nationals and Leonova both last season and this season at your nationals. Though I think Makarova won't be held up any more, and possibly neither will be Leonova.

Country
Russia
but Gosviani has lovely balletic style, expression, plenty of interesting transitions...
Yes, she has. Her skating is very nice.

But at Internationals it will give good scores only for years (after some seasons of taking place in Internationals), if skating is not techincally clean.

phaeljones

On the Ice
Both Kaetlyn Osmond and Gracie Gold skated JUNIOR last season. This was the debut SENIOR season for both.

If Osmond is a star, having landed only 4 triples in her Worlds FS and placing 8th, then certainly Gracie Gold, who landed 7 triples and placed 6th, is a star. Gracie beat Kaetlyn at 4CC as well.

Totally. Kaetlyn is not quite there yet internationally for star status.

Interesting comments going both ways on Ten. When I saw him skate at Windsor this year, even though he did not place well and had problems, his skate for me was one of the gems of the evening. (The other was Fernandez's.) There was something behind and about Ten's skating that put him up there. I did not know it at the time of the skate, but he was, of course, skating injured at that event. It is also true that his only real great competitive skate was at worlds, but his skating right through to his exhibition (singing in the rain) was amazing. I don't think his performance was an accident, and for me he is a star, but he has to follow it up next year. Star status, undeniable to the larger world, is within reach but not yet attained.

Fernandez's skates definitely established him as a star.

rvi5

On the Ice
To me, people like Kurt Browning, Ekaterina Gordeeva, etc. are "stars". ie. people who will be fondly remembered long after they retired. By that definition, none of the people mentioned are "stars" ...yet?/maybe?. However as I understand it, what AlexRus meant was people currently near the top who have suddenly obtained a lot of attention this year, where there was little serious attention previously.

* For me, I would include MT/M. They are not new, but were 8th at the last Worlds they attended two years ago. Now they suddenly shot up to 4th (some think they should have been higher). Who would have thought D/R would get the World bronze? Not certain if they should be included however, since their climb at Worlds was a little more gradual each year ... 7th, 5th, 3rd. Not completely unexpected when you think about it. Hmmm, given their numerical series climbing pattern so far, does that mean they will be 1st at Worlds 2014. ;) Look out V/T, math doesn't lie :laugh:

* Half of the Ladies top 10 are basically newbies worth mentioning. From Juniors, straight up to top 10 in their first Senior International year. How many experienced old-timers did they leave behind in their dust?

* Mens would include Hanyu, Reynolds, and Aaron.

* Nobody really new/unexpected in Ice Dance.

Of course, this does not mean any of these skaters will necessarily stay near the top. But it should be interesting to watch in the coming years. ;)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Chock/Bates should be mentioned in Ice Dance. They have been together less than two years and this was their first Worlds as a team---their 7th place was a great achievement.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
anyone thinking Gosviani is a star is delusional, she had one good fluke performance that's it
it's like saying Gachinski is a star, who isn't obviously

hanca

Record Breaker
anyone thinking Gosviani is a star is delusional, she had one good fluke performance that's it
it's like saying Gachinski is a star, who isn't obviously

Depends how you look at it. If you look at it according to how much one improved within one year, she is a star! If you look at it in comparison with Mao Asada and Yu-Na Kim, she is far from being a star. But so does anyone else who was named in this thread, including Gracie Gold and Osmond!

By the way, I do believe Gachinsky is a star. He is going through a hard time at the moment, we don't know why so I don't think we can judge him. (Do you remember how Mao Asada was criticised for skating badly, while her mother was terminally ill? I think anybody's skating would be affected if they lived with something like that!) But Gachinsky is still young, he may sort himself out. Carolina Kostner also had a few bad seasons a few years ago and look at her now.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Depends how you look at it. If you look at it according to how much one improved within one year, she is a star! If you look at it in comparison with Mao Asada and Yu-Na Kim, she is far from being a star. But so does anyone else who was named in this thread, including Gracie Gold and Osmond!

Gold and Osmond were Top 10 at Worlds
Gosviani didn't even made the Worlds Team

that was a fluke, remember at National competitions she is beaten regularly by 13 year olds Sakhanovich, Sotskova and Medvedeva just to name some.
she can't even win against a terrible shaped Leonova who can't jump a 2 Axel

Gachinski is done period, I will eat my words if he even wins another World medal, even a Grand Prix medal in his lifetime
( April fools came early* if that ever happens). he is like Leonova and Makarova who are both done

hanca

Record Breaker
Gold and Osmond were Top 10 at Worlds
Gosviani didn't even made the Worlds Team

It still doesn't place Gold and Osmond anywhere near Yu-Na Kim. If you are going to be so strict with the definition who can qualify as a star, you may find out that no one except of the the Queen will do! :)

hanca

Record Breaker
Gachinski is done period, I will eat my words if he even wins another World medal, even a Grand Prix medal in his lifetime
( April fools came early* if that ever happens). he is like Leonova and Makarova who are both done

Should we go though you past posts to see when you wrote this about Kostner? Or about Asada?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gosviani won ONE event, this year, as a Junior: Mentor Nestle. Here's who she beat:

Agata KRYGER POL
Netta SCHREIBER ISR
Viktoryia LIAKHAVA BLR
Andrea DAVIDOVICH ISR

She was 6th at Euros and scored 154.41, which would have placed her 16th at Worlds.

Gosviani has had ONE competition at the Senior level, and she didn't impress the Russian Federation enough to send her to Worlds. A star? I don't think so.

hanca

Record Breaker
Gosviani won ONE event, this year, as a Junior: Mentor Nestle. Here's who she beat:

Agata KRYGER POL
Netta SCHREIBER ISR
Viktoryia LIAKHAVA BLR
Andrea DAVIDOVICH ISR

She was 6th at Euros and scored 154.41, which would have placed her 16th at Worlds.

Gosviani has had ONE competition at the Senior level, and she didn't impress the Russian Federation enough to send her to Worlds. A star? I don't think so.

As I said, it depends how you look at it. If you look at it from the point of view that she nearly did not qualify for the Russian nationals and then she ends up being sixth lady in Europe, yes, that's success! And just to point out, Kaetlyn Osmond was on 4CC 7th, with a score 159.38. So their performance at 4CC and Europeans is not that far from each other. Kaetlyn Osmond has done great at worlds, but we can't assume that Gosviani would skate exactly the same as at Europeans (she could have been better or worse). I am not saying that Gosviani will turn out the same way as Osmond, but the difference is that Osmond has been given the chances in the past and Gosviani hasn't. Only time will show if Gosviani manages to get through.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But that is precisely Gosviani's problem---there are lots more talented ladies ahead of her. Since she's had only one Senior international to date, we have no way of knowing how consistent she is. If, as you say, she almost didn't get to go to Nationals, that is rather more indicative of an inconsistent skater. Indeed, at the Russian Cup, Gosviani didn't skate well, and that's why Leonova got the nod for Worlds.

Sorry, but I'd expect a lot more from a budding star. Christina Gao has done more internationally and has gotten much better results, but she's not being touted as a "star".

hanca

Record Breaker
But that is precisely Gosviani's problem---there are lots more talented ladies ahead of her. Since she's had only one Senior international to date, we have no way of knowing how consistent she is. If, as you say, she almost didn't get to go to Nationals, that is rather more indicative of an inconsistent skater. Indeed, at the Russian Cup, Gosviani didn't skate well, and that's why Leonova got the nod for Worlds.

Two! she is currently competing in Triglav Trophy. Soon we will know...

And I think it is unfair to compare Gosviani with all those US ladies who had the opportunity to compete at junior GPs and therefore get used to competing in international competitions. Gosviani did not have the opportunity; that's why I think her result at Europeans is even more success. She needs to do as many senior B competitions as possible, and keep the results decent, so that she get noticed. We will see if she can do that.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Pogorilaya???

Different strokes, I suppose. Time will tell.

Pogorilaya is mostly impressive because she came out of nowhere to medal at all her international events this season, which is pretty impressive given the strength of the JGPF and JW fields, not to mention that 5 out of 6 entrants at the JGPF skated EXTREMELY well at that competition and she still managed 3rd, just a point out of 2nd. Plus she was 5th at Russian Nationals in that deep field. So I do think that is pretty wow and indicative of star potential. She's still 14 too. There is much to be worked on but unlike Radionova, Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, she was not some wonder baby who was polished and could do everything at age 11. I like her power, speed, and high jumps. Plus she is so confident, which is rare in a 14 year old girl, especially one with so little experience, but for me at least, it really adds to the impact of her programs.