WTT predictions | Page 4 | Golden Skate

WTT predictions

HR4

On the Ice
I wonder whether Olympic Team event has exactly the same format? Anyone knows the rules? Underweight of Dance and Pairs is so unfair, that I think it can be explained only by the fact that it is commercial Japanese event. Will this unbalance stay for Olympic team competition?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I believe the current version of the Olympic event has one skater/team per discipline, and 10 teams qualified rather than 6 teams.

glam

On the Ice
Actually, I'm predicting that if he makes mistakes, he won't win at WTT; after all this competition doesn't really matter - or not in the same way - and they can come out and be all "But, look, he didn't win here! See how fair we are?" Like last year, you know. :)

Exactly. So predictable!

WTT will be at Yoyogi National Stadium, Tokyo on April 11-14. It will be streamed on icenetwork.com and will be broadcast on TV in Japan (and will probably be available through other channels too). Actually, I'm not sure if it'll be available live on icenetwork this time, or if it will be available after some delay.

Thanks so much!

deedee1

Record Breaker
so Japan gets seven points in pairs for not having a team??? That sounds wrong. No skater no points no money.

I agree. I sounds so wrong if Japan can get 7 points with no pair competing. :unsure: It's not the same at all as Narumi/Kihara show up unprepared, compete and place the dead last due to their inability of doing, say, a double twist or a throw jump... Japan does not necessarily win the whole comp this time. Japan, in particular, has been very 'advantegeous' position to begin with, since there are always 2 Men AND 2 Ladies to compete at WTT. :disapp: I personally shall be as happy as ever for our team, very proud of them and shout out 'Well done, our boys and girls!' at the arena if they can get a bronze this year.

Anyway, my prediction:
Gold: Canada
Silver: US
Bronze: battle btwn Russia and Japan. I feel sorry for France, because they could challenge for bronze, too, if Japan does not get 7 points for a ghostly pair team ;) in advance.

My wish is when Sochi Olympic Games is over, ISU is to change WTT from the current rather 'unfair' format (2 men, 2 ladies, 1 ice dance and 1 pair) to One skater/team per Discipline so that makes more sense to everyone. :)

rvi5

On the Ice
so Japan gets seven points in pairs for not having a team??? That sounds wrong. No skater no points no money.

If all of the countries don't send any skaters to any event, does that mean they each automatically get 28 points total (or is that just for couples), and it becomes a 6-way tie? :laugh:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I wonder whether Olympic Team event has exactly the same format? Anyone knows the rules? Underweight of Dance and Pairs is so unfair, that I think it can be explained only by the fact that it is commercial Japanese event. Will this unbalance stay for Olympic team competition?

I believe the current version of the Olympic event has one skater/team per discipline, and 10 teams qualified rather than 6 teams.

Sorry, I have not read the whole thread, but I think the most recent ISU document re the Sochi team event is from Feb 5, 2013:
See Annex A, beginning on page 5. (The full document is 12 pages.)

Doris is correct re one entry per country per discipline and re ten countries qualifying for the SP/SD round.

If I understand page 9 of the document correctly:

If a country (such as Japan) does not have a qualified Olympic entry in one particular discipline (such as pairs), it is possible that the country -- for the purpose of the team event only -- will be permitted to add an entry in the discipline. The official language:​

NOCs/ISU Members who do not have qualified Skaters/Couples in an individual OWG competition/discipline (Single Lady, Single Man, Pair Skating, Ice Dance), may benefit of an “Additional Athletes Quota” and enter into the Figure Skating Team Event 1 Skater/Couple. If applicable, each NOC may benefit of this Additional Athletes Quota for only one discipline of the Figure Skating Team Event.

The Additional Athletes Quota of up to 10 Skaters will be used giving preference to the best ranked “incomplete Teams” according to the ranking of the Figure Skating Team qualification list. The Additional Athletes Quota beyond the above-mentioned 10 Skaters cannot be exceeded and if not sufficient, the lower ranked “incomplete Teams” according to the ranking of the Figure Skating Team qualification list, may in such case not be able to complete their team.

(I think, but am not 100% sure, that one pair or one dance couple would count as two skaters from the quota -- because the IOC controls the total head count of athletes.)

David Dore discussed the Sochi team event (incl. the Additional Athletes Quota) at the ISU press conference during London Worlds.

BTW, Dore said that it was not the ISU's idea for the team event to take place before the skaters compete for medals in their individual disciplines.​

According to Dore, the ISU considered holding the team event at the end of the Games, after figure skating had concluded. NBC, the U.S. television rights holder, wanted to stick with tradition and broadcast the ladies discipline as the final event.

"You're fighting television contracts, and ladies is the big thing," Dore said. "U.S. television is the biggest monetary contributor to the IOC."

Also of note -- in a separate IN article -- are Mike Slipchuk's comments as to how Skate Canada will make the two permitted team substitutions in Sochi.
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130316&content_id=42852404&vkey=ice_news (Mar 16)

"At the end of the day, it will be the coaches that drive our ship," said Slipchuk of how they enter the skaters in each event.

Again, all of the above pertains to the Sochi team event, not to WTT.

If none of the countries send any skaters to any event, does that mean they each automatically get 28 points total (or is that just for couples), and it becomes a 6-way tie? :laugh:

In that case I think every team would get 18 points?

This 7 points thing is a red herring. The results are exactly the same whether you start counting at 0, at 1, at 7, or at a million. If the points were 1,000,001 for last place, 1,000,002 for next to last, etc., it would be just the same. I think they start counting at 7 for pairs and dance just for public perception purposes -- when you read the final results in the paper, it doesn't look like pairs and dance were slighted.

Also, the pairs and dance team feel better because they can say, hey, I contributed 12 points to the team just like the singles winners did.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Actually, I'm predicting that if he makes mistakes, he won't win at WTT; after all this competition doesn't really matter - or not in the same way - and they can come out and be all "But, look, he didn't win here! See how fair we are?" Like last year, you know. :)
Haha. Holy true. Last year at WTT people started feeling optimistic hoping that the things finally turning to the good side. Then at JO the hopes only grew up. And then CoR where he shouldn't have won SP. Then GPF where he took Javi's bronze. Then CN where so many believe (except Canadians) that Kevin should have won. And now the second fake win at Worlds in the row. Yeah. Seems like ISU judges can be fair and impartial only if two conditions are on the table: 1. the competition doesn't really matter. 2. ISU is not the one who pays rent. :laugh:

LRK

Record Breaker
In that case I think every team would get 18 points?

This 7 points thing is a red herring. The results are exactly the same whether you start counting at 0, at 1, at 7, or at a million. If the points were 1,000,001 for last place, 1,000,002 for next to last, etc., it would be just the same. I think they start counting at 7 for pairs and dance just for public perception purposes -- when you read the final results in the paper, it doesn't look like pairs and dance were slighted.

Also, the pairs and dance team feel better because they can say, hey, I contributed 12 points to the team just like the singles winners did.

I'm curious - what if two teams had not had a pairs team - what would happen then? Would they both get 7 points? Or... ?

I don't know, but if I were running things ;) they would each get 7.5, splitting the points for last and next-to-last places. :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

That's my understanding and then you can have two subs - individuals or teams per team. Ie. Four events equals four entries but you can have 2 other individuals or teams compete in one of the discipline ie. one team skates the short and one the long. But only two events you can do that. So Japan if they qualify could have Hanyu skate the short; Dai the long; Murakami the short; Mao the long the the dance and pairs teams would skate both the short and long in their categories.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The rules are pretty important. For example if a running point total was kept at the WTT with the current format Japan would be in huge trouble with zero points for pairs0 whereas a weak pairs team should score over 100 still. To get seven ordinal points is pretty big versus zero. The scoring system is key. 7 versus zero would affect the results

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I would think if they got 0 points they would throw some pair together to just go out there and get the 7 points for last place. I find it hard to believe that in a country of > 125 million there would not be at least one pair able to go out and skate into last place.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I believe that Japan has no qualifying pair team, otherwise I think they would just throw someone in there.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I suppose I'm still catching up on the format and rules for the Olympic event...

But I think this means that Team Event skaters will need to perform in two Olympic-caliber/pressure events within a week of each other?

How exciting! It's the growth of our sport in a new direction, away from individual glory and achievement and towards a unifying team spirit.

All sorts of drama involved here: Will the judging panels be the same as the individual events? Will skaters go full out, or save themselves for their individual events? Will the skaters favored for individual podium finishes participate or pass on the opportunity to lower ranked skaters? Will skaters like Yuna Kim (presumably, South Korea will not qualify for the Team Event) benefit if Kostner, Mao, and the other individual candidates have already skated a full Olympic program before their event commences, or will it be just the opposite because the other top candidates have already survived Olympic pressure? Will the sport evolve like gymnastics did, where the Team Event is more important than individual honors?

I cannot wait to see how this turns out! Bonus: More Olympic figure skating!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Honestly, I don't like that the team event is BEFORE the individual events. It's going to put those skaters who have to skate in the team event at a massive disadvantage.

I think either they make the team event after the individual so that the skaters in the team event do NOT have a disadvantage, or they make the team event a seperate team, seperate to the places earned at the previous Worlds. (IE, say, the US sends Aaron and Miner as their individual skaters, they may then send Farris for the team event, or something.)