2013 Skate America to be held in Detroit | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2013 Skate America to be held in Detroit

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
There appears to be something called the "People Mover"
http://www.thepeoplemover.com/Station-Guide.id.3.htm
There is an interactive map to show where the stations are.
Below is a description. If I understand this, it is an unmanned monorail system that goes in one clockwise loop. The cars on the loop appear every 3-4 minutes at any station and stop for 20 seconds.
You can ride the entire loop in 15 minutes. Am I correct? I am also assuming that if one is disabled and cant get out of the way of a door closing, there is some sort of emergency stop button.
This looks like the hot set up to go back to the Doubletree/Holiday inn Express at night.

The DTC fleet consists of twelve driverless vehicles that are fully automated and computer controlled. The vehicles are each powered by a linear induction motor that can provide a maximum velocity of 56 mph. Vehicles and stations (with the exception of Grand Circus Park - see below) are handicapped accessible and each vehicle has two wheelchair securement positions. Vehicles are also equipped with a climate control system that provides maximum passenger comfort from outside temperatures that can have a seasonal range from sub-zero to 100 plus degrees.

People Mover fare is $.75 and can be paid by U.S. coins, People Mover tokens and by monthly, semi-annual, annual and special event passes. All stations are equipped with automatic turnstiles and disability accessible gates, with the exception of Grand Circus Park Station, which is stairway access, standard faregates only. Persons certified as disabled, Medicare card holders and the elderly are eligible for discounted (50%) passes and tokens.

Normal weekday operating hours are 6:30 a.m. to Midnight, with an extension to 2 a.m. on Friday. Weekend hours are 9 a.m. to 2 a.m. on Saturday and Noon to Midnight on Sunday. Early openings and extensions of evening hours are provided to accommodate sports events, major conventions and other special events taking place in the Central Business District. Round trip on the system is approximately 15 minutes and headway ranges from 3 to 4 minutes. Average dwell at each station is 20 seconds.

How nifty, Chris! It sounds like loads of fun to ride. (I can't say I like the thought of that seasonal temperature range. Bring mittens!)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Fall in Deroit doesnt scare me...I spent 40 years of my life in the mid-west....before I escaped! :) This people mover system does make Detroit more appealing....walking around the area on Google street view showed some areas that werent too "walker friendly"
How nifty, Chris! It sounds like loads of fun to ride. (I can't say I like the thought of that seasonal temperature range. Bring mittens!)

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Holy crap it's at the Joe.

Tempted to go. If I can make time. And figure out how to get there from East Lansing.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Any savy Detroiters know how to avoid the $50 cab ride from the airport? The number 125 bus looks like it might go near the arena.....

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
A lot of hotels, wherever you go, offer shuttle pickup (free) from the airport. I'd check with the hotel you are using.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Any savy Detroiters know how to avoid the $50 cab ride from the airport? The number 125 bus looks like it might go near the arena.....

Detroit is not a place you want to ride a bus unless you know exactly what you are doing and where you are going or take the people mugger, er, mover, to be honest. Check for a hotel shuttle or pay the $50...

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I hope I can find someone to drag along with me, since I don't want to be driving to Detroit by myself.

Or that I can take the time to go, since I don't know my Friday or Monday schedule for next semester, so I'm not sure what my class/teaching duties look like.

The People Mover is cool, but it only goes around a little loop downtown. If you think you might want go other places than just to the skating events and back, you might consider renting a car. This would solve the taxi from the airport problem, too.

Public transportation in Detroit is poor to non-existent. This is by deliberate design. Over the years the auto companies put the kibosh on all plans to improve public transportation because they wanted people to buy more cars. Taxi service is also poor.

On the other hand, zipping around town in a car is quite convenient. Parking is not exactly cheap, but it is abundant, even in the heart of the downtown area. Everywhere you want to go, there is a freeway that takes you there.

I hope I can find someone to drag along with me, since I don't want to be driving to Detroit by myself.

Or that I can take the time to go, since I don't know my Friday or Monday schedule for next semester, so I'm not sure what my class/teaching duties look like.

If you don't want to drive around in Detroit by yourself, you can actually commute (90 minutes each way). Get on I-96 in Lansing, switch to the Lodge at Telegraph Road, and keep going until you get there. The last freeway exit is "Joe Louis Arena Parking."

Last edited:

pista04

On the Ice
Holy crap it's at the Joe.

Tempted to go. If I can make time. And figure out how to get there from East Lansing.

I will be making the trek from good ole EL to Detroit for this. Wouldn't miss it for the world! And the trip down 96 is typically real easy going unless you go at a really busy time. In general it should not take too long at all.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
If you don't want to drive around in Detroit by yourself, you can actually commute (90 minutes each way). Get on I-96 in Lansing, switch to the Lodge at Telegraph Road, and keep going until you get there. The last freeway exit is "Joe Louis Arena Parking."

I'm not worried about the actual driving as much as me, driving to somewhere I've never driven to. I don't like not knowing exactly where I'm going if I'm driving by myself. Even driving between my house and my undergrad school last year if I went home for the weekend was nervewracking the first few times, despite it being the simplest route ever.

Also, long drives can make me sleepy if I'll be doing a lot of sitting.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
OK, I have to ask...is there a history of crime on the People Mover? On the light rail from Cleveland Airport to downtown, the train driver was in a bullet proof booth....
(for reference, I called the front desk of the Holiday inn Express and they dont have a complimentary shuttle to and from the airport. He said the only way is a taxi. I think it is a 22 mi drive or so the website said. Also, the web says the hotel room tax is 13 to 15 percent, so the $177 a night at the express would be a bit higher....it will be interesting to see what the USFSA comes up with for special room rates.
Detroit is not a place you want to ride a bus unless you know exactly what you are doing and where you are going or take the people mugger, er, mover, to be honest. Check for a hotel shuttle or pay the $50...

mskater93

Record Breaker
There's a history of crime in downtown Detroit, which is what the people mover circles. When it was first opened (I hadn't left for college yet), there was more crime on the people mover than on the entire elevated system in Chicago.

The downtown area is perfectly safe during the day and so is the people mover. There is a big police presence whenever an event is going on, people go around in groups, everything is well-lighted and covered by security cameras. (In fact, Detroit residents complain that in these hard economic times the police department is so diligent in patrolling downtown entertainment venues that there are not enough police deployed in residential neighborhoods.) I go down there all the time, and ride on the people mover, and I never feel uncomfortable.

Walking around at night, just find some other people to walk with and use the common sense that you would anywhere. The sides streets are pretty much deserted at night.

There is a cool entertainment district called Greektown nearby (maybe a little too far to walk) with a lot of great medium-priced ethnic restaurants.

Last edited:

Slowdive

On the Ice
Party at my house, Saturday night right after the ladies long! Everyone is invited! :party2:

Gosh, the last time a big skating event was held at the Joe, there was a huge surge of interest afterward that buoyed the sport for a decade.

I live in Indianapolis so I may make the drive up to Detroit for the big event!!

prettykeys

Medalist
I'm going wherever YuNa's showing...so if YuNa is scheduled for SA, I'm partying at the Mathman's house after... (and may make you regret your open invitation!) :hb:

b-man

Final Flight
Since the US must pick someone ranked 1-3, that should mean we are guaranteed at least one of Yuna, carolina, or Mao, but not more than one. Am I correct on this? I wondered how the US was able to select such a weak field last year with few top ladies skaters, so Ashley would have an easier path to the GPF. I forgot that Leonova, was in the top three at worlds in 2012, yet could only manage 7th with a 153 score at SA. I am willing to travel 4 hours to Detroit, but I want to see a strong ladies field for my trouble.

b-man

Final Flight
The downtown area is perfectly safe during the day and so is the people mover. There is a big police presence whenever an event is going on, people go around in groups, everything is well-lighted and covered by security cameras.

Walking around at night, just find some other people to walk with and use the common sense that you would anywhere. The sides streets are pretty much deserted at night.
Do we know at this time if events will be held in the day, at night, a mixture?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since the US must pick someone ranked 1-3, that should mean we are guaranteed at least one of Yuna, carolina, or Mao, but not more than one. Am I correct on this? I wondered how the US was able to select such a weak field last year with few top ladies skaters, so Ashley would have an easier path to the GPF. I forgot that Leonova, was in the top three at worlds in 2012, yet could only manage 7th with a 153 score at SA. I am willing to travel 4 hours to Detroit, but I want to see a strong ladies field for my trouble.

I'd love to see Gracie at SA but no doubt it will be Ashley again.

b-man

Final Flight
I agree, it will be Ashley. Either is OK with me. I just got to see both at Omaha and in London. I would love to see Zijun again. She will do Cup of China, so I guess there is a 1 in 5 chance she will do SA.