What programs do you find consoling? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

What programs do you find consoling?

figuristka

Medalist
Thank you Olympia. skateluvr thanks, iam so glad you are well now. sather my gosh what a wonderful thing you were able to do. Such happy news. My dad has gone through 8 chemos which was his course of treatment. We're hoping and praying his scan will be clear or show great improvement.

I actually hadn't watched Janet before, really such a beautiful skater.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I love janet, was there ever a better free skater? When I think of ladies in her caliber I get two names first Yuka Sato as pro and MK. Her skating is so pure. If skating has a future saint is is janet. Doris, one tech help. I've been watching buts when I can, but all of a sudden the screens on youtube don't allow me to do full screen, so I watch the little size. Its aggravating. Sometimes it goes to full, others not. I want to see the skating full size. I have a macbookpro that is wasted on me. Is this sounding like the synaptic keypad?

I'm not sure that this works on Macs, but it does on PCs. There have been some changes on youtube lately that don't work well. Another is what has happened to the ability to get an automatic bookmark for a time internal to the video if there is an advertisment. A lot of the trouble, in fact, seems to be related to Google wanting to be sure you get your ads-you see fewer of them in full screen.

This works on my PC.
When you can't get the full screen, try minimizing the page with the small screen on it. The full screen is running behind it.

Sorry for that broken link here's the right one :)
Jeffrey Buttle 2008 SOI Eclogue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMgoBjmzl0U
Gerald Finzi Eclogue for piano and strings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkQbzZgwfl0

I love him too. It's a great music and a beautiful performance that sometimes make me cry.

Figuristka, My dad suffered from liver cancer last year. I gave him my liver and he survived. I cannot imagine what would have happened without the transplant. I hope your dad gets through it too.

Sather, what a wonderful thing! There are still not a lot of living donors for liver, but as doctors learn more, it's the ideal organ to donate, because it regenerates to full function in both donor and recipient. Man, this is a terrible century in some aspects, but medical advances make it wonderful at the same time--sometimes our progress takes my breath away. What a blessing that you could take such a vital part in your father's survival.

Figuristka, Janet Lynn's beautiful skating underscores for me that there's something more to skating than just racking up points. Some of the jumps she did were doubles, and you still can't take your eyes off her. I agree that Yuka Sato and Michelle are the other skaters I think of when Janet's name comes up. I hope that everything shows up clear with your father.

louisa05

Final Flight
Thank you Olympia. skateluvr thanks, iam so glad you are well now. sather my gosh what a wonderful thing you were able to do. Such happy news. My dad has gone through 8 chemos which was his course of treatment. We're hoping and praying his scan will be clear or show great improvement.

I actually hadn't watched Janet before, really such a beautiful skater.

My dad is also going through chemo. We are nearing six months. If his next scan (in two weeks) shows progress (the last one did) he will get a break before starting a second round of treatment.

It is so difficult to watch your parent go through this. Prayers and hugs for you and your whole family.

My dad is also going through chemo. We are nearing six months. If his next scan (in two weeks) shows progress (the last one did) he will get a break before starting a second round of treatment.

It is so difficult to watch your parent go through this. Prayers and hugs for you and your whole family.

And for yours, Louisa.

figuristka

Medalist

Thanks so much louisa05 , Prayers and hugs to you and family also. Hope both our dad's scans are very good news.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
thank you bea. i miss the kerrs. jeremy makes me sad as he can't compete and should be on podiums if no for his jumping nerves. i wish him well at wtt. when is that? may his last season be the best of his life. love to see him just skate like practice. with nothing to lose, he might skate freely. i hope for a bronze medal if he makes sochi team. he could retire happy.

When I need a good cry I would re-watch

Somewhere in Time (Dubreuil & Lauzon):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr5Lpn0UNto

Schindler's List (Jonathan Cassar):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-k2Rc9hK4A

How could I have forgotten Somewhere in Time? There are so many associations with it. In terms of skating, Dubreuil and Lauzon are a wonderful couple, who project both a mature musicality and such a connection (well, in this case art imitates life). Then there's the innate poignance of John Barry's music, as well as the sadness of the film story. And as if that were not enough, there's the thought of Christopher Reeve. All the layers together make for a pretty powerful effect.

Schindler's List is powerful in a different way, not a romantic personal story but a huge gash in human history. In addition to the skater you mention, there are two other beautiful interpretations, by Paul Wylie and Katarina Witt. I believe that Witt portrayed the girl in the red coat as if she had lived to grow up.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Gordeeva/Grinkov skating to Out of tears http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HClXOdgzReo

This particularly performance is very moving and very sad, since it was just months before his untimely death. The way he looks at her is spine tingling. Even the lyrics of the song have a great impact to me, knowing what happened next. And yet they were lucky enough to meet one another, even if their happiness was too short.That's what I like about this program, it captures the sheer love for one another and love for skating.

Gordeeva/Grinkov skating to Out of tears http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HClXOdgzReo

This particularly performance is very moving and very sad, since it was just months before his untimely death. The way he looks at her is spine tingling. Even the lyrics of the song have a great impact to me, knowing what happened next. And yet they were lucky enough to meet one another, even if their happiness was too short.That's what I like about this program, it captures the sheer love for one another and love for skating.

Oh, my. How gorgeous. I don't remember seeing this, so it's like new to me. I will put it on my mental list for both tough moments and times of great happiness. Someone once said that their unison was so great that their hearts must have beat in the same rhythm. They were truly gifts from heaven to the rest of us as well as to each other.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
bless you all. i had wondered if more suggestions would appear. skating makes me stay up too late, but I'll watch the first new one and then shut down. great thread. TY!!!!!!!!