Coaching & choreographer changes you would like to see | Golden Skate

Coaching & choreographer changes you would like to see

ffionhanathomas

On the Ice
Obviously its olympic season, so we may not see many coaching changes but maybe choreographer changes. So, are there any you'd like to see happen?

For me:

1) Gracie Gold is very talented technically but she could do with a different & more sophisticated choreography style, so I'd like to see her get a new choreographer to help her PCS improve and become more artistically refined. She's got a lovely line so I think it would do her a lot of good.

2) Mirai Nagasu to go back to Frank Carroll. I can't really make much of a judgement on this as I haven't deeply analysed her performances with Carroll and now with her new coaches but I can't help but think she was a lot better off with him. But I understand distance was a problem and I'm hoping she comes back even stronger next season!

I will add more when I remember them! But, obviously, overall its up to the skater to improve and I think with it being olympic season we'll see so much amazing content both technically & artistically. I can't wait! :biggrin:

mskater93

Record Breaker
Who would you like to see Gracie Gold work with? I have some thoughts, but it's not MY call, obviously...

ffionhanathomas

On the Ice
I'm really rubbish at picking these sort of things so I'm really not sure I was thinking David Wilson as he really helped Kim Yu-Na IMO and they're similar in some ways. How about you?

But I guess if Gracie feels most comfortable with her current choreographers that is best as consistency is what is needed because her technical content is wonderful. I just can't help but feel that she skates through the music not with it (e.g. just smiling, little expression) - but perhaps that's a problem she needs to solve herself and one a choreographer can't really fix?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Daisuke needs to ditch Morozov. That SP was really lacklustre, knowing his capability.

Plushenko could probably give Lori Nichol a call. :biggrin:

mskater93

Record Breaker
I'm really rubbish at picking these sort of things so I'm really not sure I was thinking David Wilson as he really helped Kim Yu-Na IMO and they're similar in some ways. How about you?
Personally, I'd like to see her work with Tom Dickson who helped develop Jeremy Abbott into a consummate artist and also choreographed Ross Miner's Captain Blood program this season (which really drew something different out of Miner that he hasn't done before - although he only skated it at its best at NHK and Nationals) or Braden Overett (who was the only skater to self-choreograph and win the PSA program choreography award - that program was a MASTERPIECE of coolness with the step sequence at the beginning of the program and it really WAS eye catching) or possibly Ryan Bradley to pick something totally fun and different. Scott Brown can always be the one there on a day to day basis doing the clean up work to the choreography and Alex O will obviously beat the heck out of it...

96skiluvr

On the Ice
Obviously its olympic season, so we may not see many coaching changes but maybe choreographer changes. So, are there any you'd like to see happen?

For me:

1) Gracie Gold is very talented technically but she could do with a different & more sophisticated choreography style, so I'd like to see her get a new choreographer to help her PCS improve and become more artistically refined. She's got a lovely line so I think it would do her a lot of good.

2) Mirai Nagasu to go back to Frank Carroll. I can't really make much of a judgement on this as I haven't deeply analysed her performances with Carroll and now with her new coaches but I can't help but think she was a lot better off with him. But I understand distance was a problem and I'm hoping she comes back even stronger next season!

I will add more when I remember them! But, obviously, overall its up to the skater to improve and I think with it being olympic season we'll see so much amazing content both technically & artistically. I can't wait! :biggrin:

Please please please Ilinykh/Katsalapov. I cannot deal with another Ghost-like atrocity during their home Olympics

silverlake22

Record Breaker
How the heck are Gracie and Yuna similar? They aren't at all IMO. They both have big jumps and skate fast but that's the only similarity. Their styles, body types, projection, overall image is way different. Gao OTOH is a lot like Yuna and Wilson didn't do great things for her, at least not yet, so I think someone else might be better for Gracie. She's got that blonde diva showgirl vibe that is DEFINITELY not Yuna and her hyperextended legs and stiff airplane arms won't lend themselves well to lyrical programs good for Yuna, Gracie needs programs to show off her power and jumps, and though the Hernando's Hideaway program was awful I do think she could pull off sassy or sexy/sultry well if she is given a quality program.

Daisuke needs to ditch Morozov. That SP was really lacklustre, knowing his capability.

Plushenko could probably give Lori Nichol a call. :biggrin:

Oh, yes! I am deeply worried about Daisuke next season.

That would be interesting: Plushy and Lori working together.

ForeverFish

Medalist
How the heck are Gracie and Yuna similar? They aren't at all IMO. They both have big jumps and skate fast but that's the only similarity. Their styles, body types, projection, overall image is way different. Gao OTOH is a lot like Yuna and Wilson didn't do great things for her, at least not yet, so I think someone else might be better for Gracie. She's got that blonde diva showgirl vibe that is DEFINITELY not Yuna and her hyperextended legs and stiff airplane arms won't lend themselves well to lyrical programs good for Yuna, Gracie needs programs to show off her power and jumps, and though the Hernando's Hideaway program was awful I do think she could pull off sassy or sexy/sultry well if she is given a quality program.

That's why ffionhanathomas said that they're similar in SOME ways, not that Gracie is Yuna's younger, blonder, more American clone.

But no matter. I can infer from your posts that you don't seem to have a positive opinion about Gracie Gold.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'd like to see some top skater use Rohene Ward, in addition to Jason Brown. I'm thinking Gracie might be able to cope with Rohene's interesting, but technically tricky stuff. The charm of Ward's choreography is that nothing really happens just as you expect it. Gracie has a quirky charm that perhaps shows up best when she is juggling or doing the marching step sequence that probably no one but me liked. I'll bet Rohene could do something with her that would showcase both her charm and her technical prowess.

Please no more David Wilson-I don't think his stuff would suit Gracie at all. Tom Dickson? maybe. And please not Lori Nichol, either.

Last edited:

prettykeys

Medalist
Personally, I'd like to see her work with Tom Dickson who helped develop Jeremy Abbott into a consummate artist and also choreographed Ross Miner's Captain Blood program this season (which really drew something different out of Miner that he hasn't done before - although he only skated it at its best at NHK and Nationals) or Braden Overett (who was the only skater to self-choreograph and win the PSA program choreography award - that program was a MASTERPIECE of coolness with the step sequence at the beginning of the program and it really WAS eye catching) or possibly Ryan Bradley to pick something totally fun and different. Scott Brown can always be the one there on a day to day basis doing the clean up work to the choreography and Alex O will obviously beat the heck out of it...
Tom Dickson is an amazing choreographer and I would love for at least one of YuNa's SP's or LP's this upcoming season to be by him, but I think she will stick to David Wilson, who is also a great choreographer although a little change is a good thing. I think she just feels most comfortable around Wilson and therefore chooses him.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
That's why ffionhanathomas said that they're similar in SOME ways, not that Gracie is Yuna's younger, blonder, more American clone.

But no matter. I can infer from your posts that you don't seem to have a positive opinion about Gracie Gold.

No I think Gold is a very talented skater but her presentation is sort of pageant-y bleach blonde show girl-ish at this point, and I'll hand it to her, she does have the looks for it, but while the plastered megawatt smile doesn't do much to show off her not-so-great Scott Brown programs this season, I do think it could really work with different music and better programs from a top-notch choreographer. If she can channel her inner diva and use that confidence to come off as regal then I think the result would be great. But I'm not sure who is best to do such a thing.

little_meatball

Rinkside
Since Gold is already spending time at Ann Arbor working with Zoueva, I would not be surprised if she will get at least one Zoueva program.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'd like to see some top skater use Rohene Ward, in addition to Jason Brown.

Artur Gachinski and Rohene Ward. Please, universe, make this happen.

I'd like to see Plushenko try Tom Dickson, or go back and work with Miyamoto on Romeo and Juliet again.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Since Gold is already spending time at Ann Arbor working with Zoueva, I would not be surprised if she will get at least one Zoueva program.

I hope not; none of Zoueva's programs for singles skaters have been particularly memorable for me.

Artur Gachinski and Rohene Ward. Please, universe, make this happen.

It's not impossible! Rohene tours Europe with Holiday on Ice...perhaps fate will bring them together.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I would LOVE to see all the Morozov students choosing a new choreographer, especially I/K, their talents need something better!!