Can Evgeni Plushenko win the 2014 Olympic title? | Golden Skate

Can Evgeni Plushenko win the 2014 Olympic title?

Mao88

Record Breaker
New article on Evgeni Plushenko entitled: Ilia Averbukh: “Plushenko is able to win Sochi Olympics”. It reads:-

Evgeni Plushenko [can attain]...victory, believes...Ilia Averbukh. [Averbukh states:] "I am not a doctor and do not have the diagnosis [for] Evgeni, but I think that he will do everything to recover and perform in Sochi......Evgeni will not back down.....Basically, the set of elements with which Evgeni can cope, and his charisma give him a chance."

According to Averbukh, Russia should pin [its] Olympic hopes in men’s skating [only] on Evgeni Plushenko.

So, how much of a chance does Plushenko have of winning the 2014 Olympic title?

It would be a medical miracle if he can return to competitive skating at all.

But if so...I think he could definitely win. None of the other top guys have shown that they can actually deliver the technical content that they pack their jump cards with.

LRK

Record Breaker
It would be a medical miracle if he can return to competitive skating at all.

But if so...I think he could definitely win. None of the other top guys have shown that they can actually deliver the technical content that they pack their jump cards with.

Indeed. I think he said that his chance of returning for Sochi was 50/50 and that he'd know for sure in June?

But if he does, and if he is still able to jump as before.... He will be pain-free for the first time in... how many years?

That kind of back surgery is so chancy.

But if (for argument's sake) he could return with his jumps relatively intact, I wouldn't put it past him to land on the podium at least. Even winning wouldn't be impossible for a guy with his technique, consistency, and sheer drive.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
If he could come back and jump quads in both programs, yes, he has a chance to win. I like legend and miracles, and would love to see him win.:)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
No chance. If it is a horribly skated event and he skated lights out (for what he is capable of at this point) maybe he could eke out a bronze, but that would even be a huge long shot.

yaya124

On the Ice
Averbukh just says that if Plushenko can come back and if the competition would like this year's Worlds, Plushenko might have good result (even winning, who knows). He does not really say that Plushenko could win, journalist put that into his mouth. Being Averbukh, I do not think he would seriously think Plushenko could win:laugh:

Sk8Boi

Match Penalty
Of course he can win. To believe otherwise is naive and would ignore all the facts we know regarding Plushenko's jumping and performance abilities.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
He has a shot at winning but his chance was far better in 2010. He is now running out of time. His body is severely compromised. But he is a competitor so you can't count him out especially for a medal.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I think it is absurd unless his surgery was not that bad, and he is recovering so well. I admire him and enjoyed some programs despite his awful costumes. He has already proven he is the best competitor ever in Mens FS, winning medals for 12 years under 6.0 and IJS. He is unequalled in results in mens skating-maybe womens as well. I wish he'd simply retire and not chance becoming wheel chair bound. I wish Russia would pour into mens what they are pouring into their baby girls. I feel bad that he is the guy , like Yuna who has to carry the torch for the non-existent top Russian men. I lke Artur but he doesn't have it. Yuna is young, healthy and everybody was expecting her to blow everyone away with her speed, jumps, cool calculating confidence. No surprise for me.

If Evgeni wins, it will be a very strange mens event-a bad one. A better question would be can Dai win against inflation and Hanyu. I was thrilled for Javier and see him as a real podium threat with better programs. Javi is likely bronze. Chan will have a one fall, one bad quad jump cushion. Everyone else must go clean to beat him. The veteran I hope for to win is Dai. He is wonderful. If he cannot win, I hope hanyu blows everyone away. Ah, youth. I like Pat and when he is clean and deserving, he is best in world. But he will be under huge pressure and if Worlds shows how weak he can be, well, not good. I hope Chan does not win OGM with such a flawed skate. You never know who will step up that night. The men's field should be wide open given how inconsistent Chan can be.

I expect at best to see In Plush a great Champion of the past say goodbye to the sport, his country and skate fans everywhere on home ice. f he limps off (assuming he actually skatesI expect Russian skate fans to be crying, waving, cheering. He has been an amazing competitor. I wish Yagudin were not so crippled that he could have come back. I always preferred Yagudin. I cannot see how Evgeni will score anywhere near Chan. Pipe dreams of gold and a podium finish not likely without some bizarre happenings. Evgeni should be happy to be an entertainer. His ego is as big as Russia, lol. He has cemented his place in history and if he skates, I fear he will be humiliated. I doubt he will let that happen. Russia will likely take the pairs title or the silver, maybe the bronze in dance, could take silver or bronze (Liza?) with a great skate or Adelina having two great programs. Forget the mens event. Still, they can be proud of their chances and will be judged leniently as provider of the games.

Evan Lysacek has a better chance of podium. Personally, i don't want to see Plush a shadow of himself. While I still could root for Joubert(a great skater still) it is clear the sun has set for Evan, Evgeni, Brian. And It's ok. I want to see if Hanyu can pull off two clean programs to beat Chan. I just want to see the top five do their best. Chan, Hanyu, Dai, Javi and I am throwing in Aaron who I hope will be top five as he is exciting. I don't expect to see an American male on the podium. But we could take the dance event and I think we could get a ladies medal. Other than that, it comes down to Japan vs Russia for the goods. Still, if Plush COULD skate well without killing himself, it will be a very wonderful goodbye. One hopes he can move on. He has it all. I hope his next chapter is equally interesting for him.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is actually a similar thread to the one concerning Lysacek.

I would think that a guy who has devoted most of his life to pursuit of excellence in his sport, and one who has stood at the top of the podium... and on top of the world... at the Valhalla of sporting events, would want more of that.

Think what it must mean to them, that they are willing to invest long months and risk body and reputation and probably some large amount of money (I don't know how the money part of our sport works) all for the chance of having that experience one more time.

It would certainly be easier to rest on their laurels... I'm kinda proud of both of 'em for going for it. I'll be rooting for them, and I'm not a huge fan of either one.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Evgeni wins, it will be a very strange mens event-a bad one.

How would the event rank against the WC that we just saw? I thought that was an awful competition.

It's not like the event is riding a crest right now.

ForeverFish

Medalist
And even if he doesn't return...he won't exactly be leaving the sport with bitter memories. Three Olympic medals, three World titles, seven European gold medals, and ten Russian National wins later, there isn't a man in the world who can match what Plushenko's done.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Lysacek does not have a better chance to podium than Plushenko, especialy not in Russia. Lysacek's chances to podium are roughly 1%, while Plushenko's are more like 10%. I actually have a feeling the Olympic podium wont contain a single one of Chan, Plushenko, or Lysacek, and the Olympics itself might well not even have either Lysacek (most likely not in his case) or Plushenko (50/50 since nobody how bad of shape he is in the Russians will send him if he wants or is able to go). I know the Chan pick unlike the two oldies is a more daring one, but I just have a feeling.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Lysacek does not have a better chance to podium than Plushenko, especialy not in Russia. Lysacek's chances to podium are roughly 1%, while Plushenko's are more like 10%. I actually have a feeling the Olympic podium wont contain a single one of Chan, Plushenko, or Lysacek, and the Olympics itself might well not even have either Lysacek (most likely not in his case) or Plushenko (50/50 since nobody how bad of shape he is in the Russians will send him if he wants or is able to go). I know the Chan pick unlike the two oldies is a more daring one, but I just have a feeling.

I have a feeling Chan will be on the podium, but he will not win.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
How would the event rank against the WC that we just saw? I thought that was an awful competition.

It's not like the event is riding a crest right now.

agreed the mens event was disappointing. wish denis had won,

gmyers

Record Breaker
Plushenko had a very rare procedure done. That has to take first mention in any review of his potential to even get competitive again. He talks about ballet dancers doing fine after having a disc replaced but this is so different. I believe in a quad you land with 4 times your body weight? Now one of his biological discs had totally degenerated. But who knows what this artificial one will be like after a skater attempts any kind of jump? The ballet dancers who have had it and do well is something to compare it but not like figure skating jump! He's a walking experiment! He really didn't want to have this done before Sochi at all. If its a good disc and works well and everything else holds up, he has a long list of previous ailments, it's not like he doesn't have good technique and isn't a good competitor! You almost have to erase all previous attempts at competition now in some ways. Even recent stuff like Russian nationals 2013 where he did 3A and quads and generally did well, like Euros 2012 too. He can't really do anything until June. Then this experiment with artificial discs and figure skating jumps will be tested.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think it would be great if he competed (by earning his spot with a win at Russian nationals)... but the reality is that the men's field is a lot stronger now and his chances are very slim. I didn't count him out in 2010, because he'd never had poor results up until that point, but some past results for Plushenko have certainly shown vulnerability, particularly Euros, as a result of injury.

Another issue is that I don't think he'll get the PCS that Chan or Takahashi are getting, even with perfect skates. It's become way more apparent that the field, as a whole, is much stronger and their programs are much more complex. The only advantage Plushenko had over the field was his jumps and consistency, which the other guys have not only matched but surpassed this season (Chan having consistently landed 2 quads, and Fernandez landing 3, and Hanyu usually landing his 4T and both 3As).

Plushenko could have an outside shot at a medal if the guys bomb like they did at Worlds this year and he goes clean. But I think this Worlds was an anomaly for the guys and they will be much sharper come the Olympics. You can't really base Plushenko doing well off a poor Worlds anyways, because that would be like saying Plushenko bombed at Euros so he's going to skate like that at the Olympics. In other competitions throughout the season, like the GPF, he would have been off the podium.

Really, we will only be able to gauge his chances the next time he hits the ice. You can bet he'll be competitive and do everything in his power to make it to Sochi, but compared to his past Olympics I can't imagine he'll be as successful there.