World Team Trophy 2013 Men | Page 12 | Golden Skate

World Team Trophy 2013 Men

figuristka

Medalist
Happy Dai gets to win this in Japan but gosh its sad to see Patrick with so many struggles. I wish he got another coach next season. I don't think he is as confident as people assume, or as well trained this season. Shame for Menshov, hope he has more luck next season.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
compared to the others Abbott is a dinosaur like Joubert
its wise that they are investing in Max Aaron.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think Max could feel a little aggreived at not being on the podium...

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Jeremy's body is starting to break down a bit. He will be 28 this year. Just look at Dai he's struggling with his jumps and he's not getting any younger either. But unlike Jeremy Dai is a better competitor so he's still a contender.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Chan is such an embarassment
should have been 3rd or off the podium

Remember its the judges fault that his scores are generous and not Patrick's fault.
Besides, the judges placed Chan in 5th place for the FS, which was appropriate and both his technical and components scores dropped.

2nd place sounds about right because no one was clean and if you want to decisively beat Patrick, you have to be clean.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Why wouldn't you want Kevin to win if he won?

Abbott needs to do something, but what I don't know. Maybe his age has just caught up with him.
I know the rules are different now, but it still is incredulous to me that Chan could even win second with that kind of skate.

I know this is unfair and rationally not really explainable.....

The fact that Menshov's age showed 30! on screen. I would've been over the moon if he could have completed an awesome skate here. Just to show that age ain't nothing but a number and you can land awesome jumps at any time. Now I suppose Menshov will disappear from the world stage.

figuristka

Medalist
The Japanese crowd seemed so supportive to every man and even tried to encourage Patrick after the mistakes. Dai gets so much love from them. Jeremy's program is beautiful and he pays such attention to detail. He needs to get that quad consistent and Patrick needs to add in a technical coach and train more.

zschultz1986

Final Flight
I think Max could feel a little aggreived at not being on the podium...

Good. He should be. He should use it to get even better next season.

Chan needs to go away. Honestly, at this point, it's just gets more and more stupid. No one who has THAT many errors in a program deserves THAT kind of PCS. I don't care if your skating skills are so good, they can cure cancer.

I think everyone needs to take a step back and and see the ridiculousness of this statement: "At least his scores weren't Chanflated enough for him to win this time." The fact that we have to say this, and that people are saying this as a positive thing, just makes the sport even more of a sham. I thought jumping was a skill, in figure skating?

With 3 Falls, and an overall implosion on the ice, Chan had: #1 SS, #2 TR, #3 PE, #1 CH, #2 IN

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
A Big Congratulations to Dai! So nice for him to win this at home and for Team Japan after his tough season.

I am glad he took the 2nd quad out of his FS given his poor success rate this season, goods strategy.

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S FREE SKATE - RESULT & VIDEOS

1. Daisuke TAKAHASHI (JPN) - 249.52 Free Skate
2. Patrick CHAN (CAN) - 240.21 Free Skate
3. Kevin REYNOLDS (CAN) - 237.65 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
4. Max AARON (USA) - 236.62 Free Skate
5. Takahito MURA (JPN) - 233.68 Free Skate
6. Jeremy ABBOTT (USA) - 231.84 Free Skate
7. Brian JOUBERT (FRA) - 227.95 Free Skate
8. Maxim KOVTUN (RUS) - 221.79 Free Skate
9. Han YAN (CHN) - 207.81 Free Skate
10. Yi WANG (CHN) - 183.57 Free Skate
11. Romain PONSART (FRA) - 165.59 Free Skate
WD. Konstantin MENSHOV (RUS)

yude

Record Breaker
Thank you, Mao88 for always giving us the links!!

I am happy Daisuke ends this season with 1st place. Wishing Menshov a full recovery in off season and Chan...is he alright? I hope he wasn't injured during his FS.

And I was very disappointed that Japanese TV didn't show Han Yan at all :cry:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Good. He should be. He should use it to get even better next season.

Chan needs to go away. Honestly, at this point, it's just gets more and more stupid. No one who has THAT many errors in a program deserves THAT kind of PCS. I don't care if your skating skills are so good, they can cure cancer.

I think everyone needs to take a step back and and see the ridiculousness of this statement: "At least his scores weren't Chanflated enough for him to win this time." The fact that we have to say this, and that people are saying this as a positive thing, just makes the sport even more of a sham. I thought jumping was a skill, in figure skating?

With 3 Falls, and an overall implosion on the ice, Chan had: #1 SS, #2 TR, #3 PE, #1 CH, #2 IN

Agree. In the protocols and excluding WD Menshov, Chan was credited with 37+% of the total falls from the field of contestants. :laugh:

Also agree Chan is an embarrassment. He's not responsible for his overscoring, but he is responsible for putting out these slipshod programs on the ice. If it was a single competition, we could put it down as a one-off, but this is getting to be a habit. His Fed should be embarrassed as well, though likely they're happy to take his wins and podium finishes any way they can. :disagree: I don't care how good his skating skills are, he can't retire fast enough for me. I'm going to start hating now and avoid the Christmas rush.

happyskate6

Rinkside
I am so happy for Dai!!! It was great to see him skate as well as he did!

I know people criticize Kevin Reynolds' skating, but you have to admit it was impressive. I really like the unconventional build of Kenji Miyamoto's choreo through the FS. It makes you want to cheer by the time Kevin starts the StSq. Also, that 4T-3T-2L was unreal. Don't really understand the haters, but Kevin sure has some loyal fans in Japan!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Very cute how other skaters (esp. from Team U.S.A. on twitter) are concerned about Konstantin Menshov. They all looked so sad when this happened and are worried. Real sportsmanship!

bramweld

Record Breaker
Poor Patrick..

This performance is the main reason I think World Team trophy, at this point in the year is an unnecessary risk for the skaters. Most are mentally and physically exhausted from a long season. They're being exploited. Their respective FED's should have the final say in who goes, it's really not worth it. Prime example today, Menshov.

That being said, I can see why Chan gets his marks, at least those for PCS and I am by no means his biggest fan. However, his skating skills are sublime. He moves with the grace, lightness, fluidity and speed of a dancer. Skaters with similar abilities are Carolina, Elena and Nikita and in their day Elena and Anton and Katya and Sergei. That means if the others want to beat them they have to bring the technique. It may not be fair but what about sport is? I say enjoy each athlete for what they bring to the table.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am so happy for Dai! The best skater wins, finally! I haven't seen his program yet--I can't wait.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Remember its the judges fault that his scores are generous and not Patrick's fault.
Besides, the judges placed Chan in 5th place for the FS, which was appropriate and both his technical and components scores dropped.

2nd place sounds about right because no one was clean and if you want to decisively beat Patrick, you have to be clean.

Chan should have been 2nd to last in the FS honestly, he was all over the place. The only person he deserved to place ahead of in the FS was Ponsart. I know, I know, he didn't score that much above Jeremy and Jeremy's jumps were labored, but at least he didn't Zamboni the ice and end his program with a faceplant on what was supposed to be a spin. Chan had 3 falls, 2 pops (3t and then 1a), a spin that didn't happen, and two messy landings on other jumps. I feel awful for Joubert who continues to skate well and just gets hosed in the scores. Why is his TES always so low when he lands most of his jumps and the jumps themselves are of decent quality? It seems a mystery to me. Also why does Han Yan not try another 3a in his FS? It's such a good jump for him and he really needs another 3a or 4t (or both) in his FS to be competitive technically with the big boys on the senior level. Also for all the Reynolds bashing I actually think he's improved a lot artistically, and the jumps were there today.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Dang! Max should have been on the podium! I really like watching him--for his amazing tech and his personality.