Wagner's Olympic Strategy: Play It Safe? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Wagner's Olympic Strategy: Play It Safe?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Actually her PCS was only 5th best for the season, Suzuki just skated poorly at Worlds. A lot of that was rep for momentum and #1 American status too. Nobody is ever going to look back at Ashley's LP from the past season and truly care about it. Well, maybe her WTT version, since the hair thing worked itself perfectly into the choreography and actually made the program a lot better. LMAO.

Ashley could be top 3 if she has the programs and really sets herself up strong next season. One of Kostner or Asada are going to have a rough Olympic season. You can just feel it.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Actually her PCS was only 5th best for the season, Suzuki just skated poorly at Worlds. A lot of that was rep for momentum and #1 American status too. Nobody is ever going to look back at Ashley's LP from the past season and truly care about it. Well, maybe her WTT version, since the hair thing worked itself perfectly into the choreography and actually made the program a lot better. LMAO.

Ashley could be top 3 if she has the programs and really sets herself up strong next season. One of Kostner or Asada are going to have a rough Olympic season. You can just feel it.

Ashley will not get top 3 PCS. No choreographer will be able to do it.
Best thing is to keep the status quo and upgrade TES.

Moment

Final Flight
There is nothing wrong with "playing it safe" and knowing your limits. If your technique is not good enough for a second triple you can find other ways to maximize BV without it, as Blade of Passion suggested.

R.D.

Record Breaker
There is nothing wrong with "playing it safe" and knowing your limits. If your technique is not good enough for a second triple you can find other ways to maximize BV without it, as Blade of Passion suggested.

May have to "play games" with the numbers to try to make the points work out. It's a math exercise too.

Not a fan of this strategy to be honest. I'd rather see the tech. But sometimes you do what you gotta do and you work with what you have to work with.

Yes, possibly - but remember, it could happen to Wagner too.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

I agree, but again it depends on her goals for the season. She very likely will not medal at the Olympics without a 3/3 in the short. If she hopes to medal she needs to take the risk.

Bartek

On the Ice

I prefered Ashley's Samson and Delilah by far to the free skate of your beloved Kanako. I'm going to rewatch Ashley's program many times in the future and I'll surely won't be rewatching Kanako's terrible mule kicks even though she got herself into that Tango mood.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Yes, possibly - but remember, it could happen to Wagner too.

Well a bad performance can happen to anyone. Wagner has been quite consistent, though, and I think she has gotten through the nerves phase now (aside from the 3-3 she'll need to do in the SP). I believe Wagner can simply outskate both Kostner and Asada even if they deliver good performances, since they always leave a lot of points on the table. The trio of Yu-Na/Kostner/Asada are going to be untouchable in the judge's eyes if they skate perfectly, but how often do those latter two ever skate perfectly? Never. Kostner is always going to pop something and Asada is always going to get < calls or just make other random mistakes as a result of attempting SO much tech content.

Wagner has skated 7 LP's in the past 2 seasons that were executed relatively perfect, ASIDE from the 2Axel-3Toe combination. She just needs to change that combo to a backloaded 3Toe-2Axel sequence and train a 3Flip-2Loop-2Loop. It's completely a waste of her time to worry about any harder jump combinations for the LP, since the foundation isn't there already. She needs to work on the program, to pull the highest PCS possible (and also to get better scores for the step sequences, those can be WAY better than they were this past season). Be as skeptical as you want, but she has huge PCS potential. The talent is all there - speed, edging, energy, ice presence, musicality, flexibility, and able to do transitions into everything. All she needs is the right packaging to gather all of her strengths together properly; inspired choreography from someone who understands her.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I have a feeling Ashley will play it safe sadly and go with Lori Nichol or David Willson. It is too bad skating is like that remember when Sandra Bezic was the key to winning = it goes in cycles it seems.

Trewyn

Medalist
I have a feeling Ashley will play it safe sadly and go with Lori Nichol or David Willson. It is too bad skating is like that remember when Sandra Bezic was the key to winning = it goes in cycles it seems.

Was thinking the same thing, unfortunately... Nichol is sure to do Carolina's choreo, Wilson does Yu Na's, Tarasova does Mao's... I think Ashley needs to find a different match.

These choreographers have impressed me the past few years:
- Shae-Lynn Bourne -- Akiko Suzuki's break-through 'West Side Story'!!
- Pasquale Camerlengo -- Akiko's everything else :p, though not Alissa's 'Valse Triste'
- Tom Dickson -- Yu Na's Tango, Jeremy's Piazzolla
They each have created a couple of true gems. Of course, the actual skater and performance matter a great deal in whether a choreography is successful or not.

Nothing balletic for Ashley. Nothing generic, ice princess-y. I'm already on the edge of my seat to see what choreographer and music Ashley will come up with!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
@AshWagner2010's tweets re Mills (Apr 17)

- To my surprise it looks like this info is already out there but I would like to announce that Phillip Mills and I r ending our relationship
12:11 PM - 17 Apr 13

- He is an incredible and talented choreographer to work with and I wish him nothing but the best in the future!
12:12 PM - 17 Apr 13

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

- To my surprise it looks like this info is already out there but I would like to announce that Phillip Mills and I r ending our relationship
12:11 PM - 17 Apr 13

- He is an incredible and talented choreographer to work with and I wish him nothing but the best in the future!
12:12 PM - 17 Apr 13

Woah, so Ashley clearly was not informed that Mills was going to make a statement. At least she is trying to take the high road with it.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Was thinking the same thing, unfortunately... Nichol is sure to do Carolina's choreo, Wilson does Yu Na's, Tarasova does Mao's... I think Ashley needs to find a different match.

These choreographers have impressed me the past few years:
- Shae-Lynn Bourne -- Akiko Suzuki's break-through 'West Side Story'!!
- Pasquale Camerlengo -- Akiko's everything else :p, though not Alissa's 'Valse Triste'
- Tom Dickson -- Yu Na's Tango, Jeremy's Piazzolla
They each have created a couple of true gems. Of course, the actual skater and performance matter a great deal in whether a choreography is successful or not.

Nothing balletic for Ashley. Nothing generic, ice princess-y. I'm already on the edge of my seat to see what choreographer and music Ashley will come up with!

Great list! I'd add Giuseppe Arena. He did a marvelous job turning Slutskaya into an artist (for one season). That LP really played to her strengths and was not cheeky like most of her programs. I could see him doing something amazing for Ashley.